Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th July 2011, 21:36   #1
BHPian

Pulsar 180 : Is this a piston issue?

Hello Friends,

I have pulsar 180 2005 model and it ran around 54000 kms so far, now its engine oil reduces after every 1000 kms and if we give full throttle it produces some smoke as well , as per mechanic it's piston is at fault and should be replaced , my query is:

1) Is it really engine fault or any kind of leakage
2) should I replace only piston or complete kit (cyln + pis)
3) any degradation in performance after that ?

Regards
Yogesh Malhotra
Old 13th July 2011, 22:03   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Not sure if it is piston issue - Help needed

I guess your mechanic is right.
So its time for a engine rebuild.
you can go in for a Rebore,with an oversize piston.
but i would recommend that you get a new cylinder kit,if you are going to retain the bike.
Old 13th July 2011, 22:13   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Check the compression. If its time for an engine overhaul, you can see it in the readings.
Old 14th July 2011, 17:45   #4
BHPian

Thanks ! actually I am little bit confused here , I want to retain the bike if after engine rebuild it retain it's pickup and durability otherwise I would like to go for a new bullet classic 500
Old 14th July 2011, 18:24   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

With the level of workmanship available for two wheelers in our country, you should be extremely lucky to get back the performance as new. Also, Pulsar's age bad.

I guess after 6 years years ownership, you can let go of her. Go for the Classic man!
Old 14th July 2011, 18:34   #6
Senior - BHPian

If you have the money go for the classic 500. I may prefer an old 500 and spending more on building it. But thats a personal preference.

The new age 500 has better acceleration and better high end speed.
Old 14th July 2011, 18:38   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Check the compression. If its time for an engine overhaul, you can see it in the readings.
Can you be more specific, please?
You mean leakage in cylinder? (worn out piston rings)
Old 14th July 2011, 22:36   #8
BHPian

Re: Is this a piston issue?

I agree with @dhanushs advise and I think thats the FIRST check that ANY good mechanic would carry out before change of the piston is reccommended.
Old 15th July 2011, 22:07   #9
BHPian

Re: Is this a piston issue?

Overall i guess compression check and valve grinding is what needed first then comes piston
Old 17th July 2011, 14:03   #10
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Pulsar 180 : Is this a piston issue?

Isn't the 54,000 km mark way too early for the internals to wear out? Or is this the norm with high-revving bikes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
Also, Pulsar's age bad.
At the Beat diesel drive, another reviewer made this comment "Bajaj doesn't build Pulsars to last 10 years. They know most people switch after 5 years of ownership, so why bother". Any truth in this statement? I'd be very surprised if this statement is true. Whatever happened to durability? I remember RX100s (had owned one in the nineties) lasted forever.
Old 17th July 2011, 14:19   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Isn't the 54,000 km mark way too early for the internals to wear out? Or is this the norm with high-revving bikes?

At the Beat diesel drive, another reviewer made this comment "Bajaj doesn't build Pulsars to last 10 years. They know most people switch after 5 years of ownership, so why bother". Any truth in this statement? I'd be very surprised if this statement is true. Whatever happened to durability? I remember RX100s (had owned one in the nineties) lasted forever.
Yes you are perfectly right. My CD 100 SS of 1993 is still running superbly. I use it at my native place when i visit. The humming sound of the engine is so quiet that you would not say that the engine is running. She works for me even when i do not maintain her properly. Still i can acheive a high speed of 90-95 kmph.Even my CBZ 2003 is nothing when compared to CD 100 SS the first bike in our family.Still the suspension is good. Not even once the engine was opened for repair. Offcourse it has done only 60k kms. But she is 18 years old.
Old 17th July 2011, 16:22   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdnivara View Post
Can you be more specific, please?
If the rings are worn out or if there is a problem with the valve seating, then the piston wont be able to sustain the compression. If you open the piston you can see the carbon marks on the sides of the cylinder and piston made during the power stroke, which should not be there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

Any truth in this statement? I'd be very surprised if this statement is true. Whatever happened to durability? I remember RX100s (had owned one in the nineties) lasted forever.
Ah.. IMO, there is HUGE difference in the quality of the olden RX100 days, and the newer four strokes (especially from Bajaj). Even the bullet fans I know respect the old machines more. They just aren't satisfied with the newer ones, even if they have self start disc, brakes et al.

The comment I made is from personal experience. ALL the pulsars I know have aged bad. They start making sounds and the entire feeling changed by ~15-20k and further, most of the pulsars engine start sounding strange. After which comes the inevitable engine overhaul.

One can see the Pulsar more or less like the Indica. The upside is that, they have umpteen number of revisions and it gets better each time. There is HUGE difference between the current gen pulsar and 1st gen one.

Hero Honda makes one of the most reliable engines. I have seen humble 98 splendors running 1L kms and still deliver a consistent 70kmpl. Again, some say, newer ones arnt up to the mark.
Old 17th July 2011, 20:21   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

My pulsar 180 UG3,Jan 2008 make,done 25K kms has consumed 250 ml of oil from 23K to 25K kms.I dont see any smoke from the silencer and use Motul 300V fully synthetic since the bike was 2K kms old.Is it a sign of shot piston rings or is there some other problem?

Also during the last service at 25K,the SA told me to get valve lapping done wherein they will install new valves at 30K kms.According to him it will stop the comsumption of oil!I didnt understood what he said.Can you guys tell whether its true ?
Old 17th July 2011, 20:38   #14
BHPian

^^^ Your SA is right, in most probability it could be the valves as it causes a drop in oil level. Get the valves replaced and have the valve seat lapped as suggested by the mech. Also since the head is being opened, would recommend changing the piston rings if necessary.

@thunder:

1) Is it really engine fault or any kind of leakage
A) Not really, most mechanics push for an engine overhaul when it is not needed. Check the valves first, as these are prone to failing. Then check for play in the piston and cylinder, also check for scratches in the block. Only if there are deep scratches i would recommend an overhaul. Otherwise just changing the rings would do the job.

2) should I replace only piston or complete kit (cyln + pis)
A) If you plan to keep the bike for long Id recommend a new block and piston kit (costs around Rs.1800/- for the whole kit)

3) any degradation in performance after that ?
A) I dont think so.

Last edited by Ripper : 17th July 2011 at 20:45.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks