Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd July 2011, 11:41   #16
BHPian

Re: Buying a motorcycle that someone else had booked

I really do not understand, why the bookings cannot be transferred? As Condor mentioned, if a person booking the bike isin't taking up the delivery, will the Dealer stock it in the godown and let it rot or Reallot it to someone else. If the Dealer can reallot it to someone else, then I think that the Bookings can also be transferable. How can the Dealer prepare an Invoice without realizing the full payment of the vehicle. The Invoice is raised once the whole payment is made and the bike is ready to be delivered.

I think, the whole waiting period concept is being streched for too long. 10 months of waiting to own a bike is too far fetched. Do you think it would make sense having a word with the dealer and offering him a few bucks extra to get the bike ASAP?

As suggested by some people, I have made up my mind to drop the idea of getting the bike from Delhi and getting it registered it here in Hyderabad.

OT: I hope something magical happens now, as my friend is planning to have a word with his other friend, whom he gave the booking to. In case he isin't also willing to go ahead as of now, the Booking will land in my lap. Keeping fingers crossed for now.

Last edited by traveloholic : 22nd July 2011 at 11:44.
Old 22nd July 2011, 11:47   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveloholic View Post
I think, the whole waiting period concept is being streched for too long. 10 months of waiting to own a bike is too far fetched. Do you think it would make sense having a word with the dealer and offering him a few bucks extra to get the bike ASAP?
Yeah!! 10 months does look a little far fetched.
But try and talk to the dealer and see if anything can be done. I would say by all means try everything to make him D.
But you mentioned in your last post that Sabby has already given the booking receipt to someone else?
BTW how much is the OTR for the Classic 350? I know that Enfield would suit you best , but don't you have any other options in that price range ?
Old 22nd July 2011, 12:24   #18
BHPian

Classic 350 costs about 1.2 lakhs OTR. I have tried looking at various options. Listing below.

1. Classic 350 - Suits me the best. Given my structure and body builtup, I think this suits the most
2. RE TBTS - Test Rides and Spending some time on my friends TBTS did not give the that feeling of comfort. Especially after riding the Avenger for so long, I tought the angle of TBTS Handle was putting too much of a pressure on my forearms & wrist.
3. Avenger 220 - As I already own an Avenger 180 and been riding it for the past 5 years, I don't think I would go ahead with another Avenger
4. Yamaha FZ - Looks good but lacks the Oomph factor to appease me. Moreover, I also want a bike, which should be comfortable for my mom to ride pillion too. Hence, due to being a slant seat and raised to the sky, I think FZ is struck out of the list.
5. ZMR - Another rehased version of ZMA with nothing much new to offer. I would rather go in for an older ZMA, than going in for the all new ZMR.

FZ, Fazer, Apache and etc are way below the price range and Ninja, CBR and etc are way way above my price range. Either I have to compromise on a Smaller Engine or Bigger Price, where as with RE Classic 350, I get Bigger Engine with Smaller Price.

Manish, Sabby said he would try to have a word with his friend, whom he gave the booking to. In case, he is not going ahead with it, he would hand it over to me.

Last edited by traveloholic : 22nd July 2011 at 12:26.
Old 22nd July 2011, 12:55   #19
Team-BHP Support

This is probably redundant now but I bought my RE500 in a similar situation. Difference is only Mumbai was involved and 2 cities complication was not there.

1. Person X had booked the bike with Rs. 1000 down payment.

2. In the meantime he bought another bike.

3. When he was contacted about this bike being ready for delivery he was willing to give it up to me so I can get the bike without a waiting period. If he had cancelled his booking I'm assuming RE would have given it to the next person waiting in line.

4. From that point on, I took over the entire process - made balance payment directly to RE, collected the bike myself and saw it through the registration process.

5. However, the bike had to be registered in the name of Person X - the original allottee. There was no getting around this situation.

6. RE does not change the records at all and de facto that means the RTO will only register in the name of the original allottee.

7. On account of the above, I am effetively a 2nd owner of the bike on record. I got it booked on his name and then initiated a transfer process to my name.

Why RE does not agree to transfer bookings? IMO, when there are long waiting periods on a bike, this is fairly justified as RE will want genuine customers to get the bike and avoid a black market for its products where people keep making bookings and then transfer them to others. I don't think this rule from RE is bad at all. Those who are desperate for a bike anyway (like I was at the time), can always take a call and live with being 2nd owners.

Of course this process can be risky as well, particularly if you don't know the transferee. What if the original allotee does not transfer the bike to you after you've paid the full amount to RE.

In my case I was dealing with an absolutely fabulous individual and he was really helpful at each stage. So I was never ill at ease about being cheated and simply went ahead with the whole deal despite this cumbersome process.

Last edited by Axe77 : 22nd July 2011 at 12:57.
Axe77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2011, 13:04   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
I got it booked on his name and then initiated a transfer process to my name.
Hi Axe,

Can you tell me how soon after gettg the bike did you initiate transfer process ?

I have done the same thing, got the bike 2 weeks back. Waiting for the RC book to come now so i can start the transfer. Only difference is that this bike is registered at Thane RTO and now has to be transferred to my name in Mumbai.
Old 22nd July 2011, 13:09   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
2. RE TBTS - Test Rides and Spending some time on my friends TBTS did not give the that feeling of comfort. Especially after riding the Avenger for so long, I tought the angle of TBTS Handle was putting too much of a pressure on my forearms & wrist.
Angle can be changed. It takes less than 2 mins.

Loosen the bolts holding the handlebar, turn it around and tighten them.

Within 2 kms my new bike gave me a nasty pinching pain in the middle of my shoulder blades.
A twist of the handlebar and the rest is history.
Old 22nd July 2011, 14:03   #22
BHPian

Re: Need help buying this bike. Am confused, if I should go ahead.

Quote:
Chetan Bhai, The friend is no one else but our very own Sabby. He had booked a RE Classic 350 but was not taking the delivery. He asked me many times but the ownership and transfer and invoice thing put me off always.

OT: I just got the final nail in my coffin a couple of minutes back. My friend gave off the Booking Receipt to another friend.
Nikhil Bhai - The nail in the coffin has just been taken out!!!! My friend is not going ahead; so the booking voucher is yours!!!!

Last edited by Sabby-069 : 22nd July 2011 at 14:11.
Sabby-069 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2011, 14:05   #23
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by salunkhe.vizz View Post
Hi Axe,
Can you tell me how soon after gettg the bike did you initiate transfer process ?
You can start it as soon as you get the RC book (RC book itself can take 30 - 45 days I believe).

In my case, I took a little longer because of some added complications, RE had made a mistake in one document they sent to the RTO because of which color was wrongly mentioned. So I'm getting color change and transfer done at one shot.

I also got a little busy and was traveling so overall the process got delayed a bit. It is well underway now though and I've had the bike inspected as well for color change so the updation should be completed very soon.
Old 22nd July 2011, 15:21   #24
BHPian

@Axe77: As you have purchased it in the same way as I did, I need a couple of clarifications:

1. Can you thor some light on the insurance factor of it. I believe, the original insurance is given on the name of the original buyer. So, as a second buyer, so we take another insurance or we get the insurance also transferred?

2. Does the Service Warranty and etc still hold valid even after transferring the bike on my name? Someone was telling that the Service Warranty and etc are valid only till the first owner and is not transferred on to Second Owner or subsequent owners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Of course this process can be risky as well, particularly if you don't know the transferee. What if the original allotee does not transfer the bike to you after you've paid the full amount to RE.
I have nothing much to worry about on this thing as the original allotee is a BHPian and a very good friend. Being a Hydee has its own benefit. Sabby-069 is my original allotee and would be helping me get this bike soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabby-069 View Post
Nikhil Bhai - The nail in the coffin has just been taken out!!!! My friend is not going ahead; so the booking voucher is yours!!!!
Thanks Sabby Bhai. As the Booking Voucher is all mine, I can already see myself running to bank to withdraw money to buy this bike.

Last edited by traveloholic : 22nd July 2011 at 15:22.
Old 22nd July 2011, 16:13   #25
Team-BHP Support

Hey: My replies in bold within your quote below

Quote:
@Axe77: As you have purchased it in the same way as I did, I need a couple of clarifications:

1. Can you thor some light on the insurance factor of it. I believe, the original insurance is given on the name of the original buyer. So, as a second buyer, so we take another insurance or we get the insurance also transferred? [Existing insurance can certainly be transferred. In my case, I'm just a couple of months away from renewal so I may opt to take a fresh insurance in my name in any case IF that is simpler from a documentation standpoint.]

2. Does the Service Warranty and etc still hold valid even after transferring the bike on my name? Someone was telling that the Service Warranty and etc are valid only till the first owner and is not transferred on to Second Owner or subsequent owners. [AFAIK, the warranty only holds for the first owner and subsequent transferees don't get the benefit. This is a really annoying aspect but I'm told this is standard condition in the 2 wheeler market (this is obviously not the case for most car companies). Again, I think they only have a one year warranty, which means I'm effectively losing about a few months worth of warranty given how delayed my transfer process has gotten]

I have nothing much to worry about on this thing as the original allotee is a BHPian and a very good friend. Being a Hydee has its own benefit. Sabby-069 is my original allotee and would be helping me get this bike soon.

Thanks Sabby Bhai. As the Booking Voucher is all mine, I can already see myself running to bank to withdraw money to buy this bike.
Old 22nd July 2011, 16:13   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats Nikhil on the RE-350. So when will you get the delivery?
Old 22nd July 2011, 16:42   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Congrats Nikhil on the RE-350. So when will you get the delivery?
Avinash Bhai, Hopefully very soon, I would be meeting Sabby today and check what needs to be done next. Hopefully, as I foresee, I should lay my hands on this beast within a weeks time. I have everything ready and was waiting for the booking thing. Now that Sabby has given a green signal, the day should not be far away.
Old 2nd August 2011, 13:40   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Avinash Bhai, Hopefully very soon, I would be meeting Sabby today and check what needs to be done next. Hopefully, as I foresee, I should lay my hands on this beast within a weeks time. I have everything ready and was waiting for the booking thing. Now that Sabby has given a green signal, the day should not be far away.
Nikhil, I had similar experience. I had booked a C3 in October last year & the RE folks had called me two weeks back saying my C3 can be delivered once the payment is made. For certain reasons I wanted to postpone my C3 purchase. Coincidentally a close friend of mine was looking for a CL5. He was happy with C3 as far as he gets it delivered in 2 weeks.
We went to the RE showroom, as expected they refused to make the invoice in my friends name. So we made the payment with my name & registration address of my friend.
Once the vehicle is ready for delivery (post reg), my friend will transfer the bike to him name (form 29) & no change in address.

The wait period for C3 & C5 is 10 months, however for Electra the wait period is 4 months.
lavish_n is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th August 2011, 01:29   #29
BHPian

Hey guys,

I too have a booking (paid Rs. 10k in, believe it or not, Dec 2010) in Pune for a classic 500.
PM me if anyone is interested. Any follow up/leg work that may need to be done is yours to do!
Am out of the country but back on 14th Aug.

Cheers
Old 5th August 2011, 14:54   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavish_n View Post
Nikhil, I had similar experience. I had booked a C3 in October last year & the RE folks had called me two weeks back saying my C3 can be delivered once the payment is made. For certain reasons I wanted to postpone my C3 purchase. Coincidentally a close friend of mine was looking for a CL5. He was happy with C3 as far as he gets it delivered in 2 weeks.
We went to the RE showroom, as expected they refused to make the invoice in my friends name. So we made the payment with my name & registration address of my friend.
Once the vehicle is ready for delivery (post reg), my friend will transfer the bike to him name (form 29) & no change in address.

The wait period for C3 & C5 is 10 months, however for Electra the wait period is 4 months.
How do the RTA guys register the bike in your name on another address? What about the address proof and stuff? I am still confused about these RE guys.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks