Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st July 2011, 14:57   #1
BHPian

Buying a motorcycle that someone else had booked

I have been contemplating on buying a Royal Enfield Classic 350 for a couple of months. The biggest turn off was the booking/waiting period. The Booking Period about 6 months back was 6 months and now it is 10 months.

I had a word with a couple of BHPians, if someone could get me the bike without waiting period. Thanks to MileCruncher, I got an offer for a Royal Enfield Classic 350 for immediate sale and delivery. However, the whole thing has a catch in it. Totally confused about it as of now.

The Bike is in New Delhi with one of the RE Dealers & is available for immediate delivery within a day or two. The Bike would be sent via GATI Transport to be delivered in Hyderabad. All seems good till here. Post this is what bothers me the most.

1. Will the invoice be in my name or the person, who actually booked it?
2. The Bike will bear a DL T/R Number. Is it possible to register it here in Hyderabad?
3. What are all the hassles, I would have to face in case I get it delivered from Delhi and get it registered it here?
4. Do I have to pay Lifetime Tax and Road Tax of both the RTO's to get it registered?
5. What if I end up getting a Lemon, as I would not have scope for a proper PDI?
6. Will I be able to utilize their Authorised Service Centers here in Hyderabad to get the bike serviced/repaired?

In case I am missing something, please do offer your valuable inputs on those too.

On another though, I was thinking. If the person, who has booked the RE Classic 350 in Delhi isin't taking the delivery, then how come the RE Dealer in Delhi is promising me the bike? Would it be on my name or the person who has booked it?

RE Classic 350 in Hyderabad
I once visited an RE Showroom here to enquire about the RE Classic 350. One of our BHPians booked the Classic 350 but did not take the delivery. I enquired with the Showroom guys, If I could take the delivery on my name as he is not willing to take the delivery. I was replied in negative that the invoice is raised on the name of the person booking it. I really don't know, how true it was. Is this true that the invoice is raised on the name of the person booking it and cannot be transfered to someone else?

If this is a false statement & I can transfer the booking of my friend on my name, I would happily go ahead and take the bike. I am confused about the whole thing.

In case, I buy the bike on my friends name and then transfer it to my name, then what about the insurance of the Bike as the insurance would be in the name of my friend and the RC on my name after transfer.

I know, I have included a lot of questions in this thread but had to write each point I wanted to ask/get clarified.

Hope, you guys would come ahead and give your valuable suggestions and ideas about this thing.
Old 21st July 2011, 15:11   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Need help buying this bike. Am confused, if I should go ahead.

Just take the delivery in that guy's name and do the registration in your name. Dont let the dealer do the registration. Tell them your uncle's an RTO officer and he'll do it.
Old 21st July 2011, 15:19   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
Just take the delivery in that guy's name and do the registration in your name. Dont let the dealer do the registration. Tell them your uncle's an RTO officer and he'll do it.
So, should I take the bike from here in Hyderabad on my friends Booking Voucher and then register it on my name. But, does RTO allow it. I think the vehicle needs to be registered on the name of the person buying it. I don't really know, but this is what I think.
Old 21st July 2011, 16:22   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveloholic View Post
So, should I take the bike from here in Hyderabad on my friends Booking Voucher and then register it on my name. But, does RTO allow it. I think the vehicle needs to be registered on the name of the person buying it. I don't really know, but this is what I think.
Why would the RTO care who bought it? They only care whose name its registered in. I could buy the car in my name, issue the payments from my bank account but have it registered in my mom's name.

Purchase invoice and registration does not have anything to do with each other in the legal circles. No RTO checks a purchase invoice to confirm if the names match between the registration documents and the purchase invoice. If that is the case no car-maker will be able to cancel a booking in a person's name and transfer it to somebody else.

Confirm everything with a local RTO.
Old 21st July 2011, 16:29   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

@redliner, there is logic in what @Travelohilc is saying. If you booked & paid for a vehicle, the invoice is in your name. If say, traveloholic went to the RTO and asked them to register it in his name, what is there to show that he is not doing hera-pheri (registering the bike you bought , in his name).

The point about payments is fine. The money can come from anywhere. But the name on the invoice would need to match the owner's name.

@Traveloholic, can you not ask you friend to get the invoice done in your name. Like if he was gifting it to his brother ? Then the invoice & registration would have to be in the brother's name. If you want to get the bike your friend booked, then you will need his full involvement to get the bike from the dealer - and make sure the invoice is in your name.
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2011, 16:54   #6
BHPian

Nikhil,

Drop the bike from Delhi, the bike would have to have a Temp Registration, which means that the LTT would have to be paid in Delhi, if they are going to use GATI then good luck. Too many horror stories.

Take your friend to the dealership, try and get it sorted out. If I am not mistaken RTO does the registration on the name printed on the Invoice. I had a real difficult time when I got my Ninja, because I was in the middle of shifting my registration. Another option is, ask your friend to register the bike then you can do a change of ownership once you get the permanent registration done, the negative would be that you would become the second owner but you can avoid the waiting period.
Old 21st July 2011, 16:54   #7
BHPian

Hi, do take delivery of the bike after a thorough enquiry as the warranty is valid only for the first owner. Things may go haywire with your friend's name on the invoice.
Regards Adrian
Old 21st July 2011, 16:58   #8
BHPian

@condor: Thanks. I am still wondering would it be adviseable to go in for the vehicle from Delhi as I am sure the invoice would be in the name of the person, who has booked it and I am really confused it I can register it on my name, which I know is not possible. The Invoice and the Registration has to be on the same name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by downsouth View Post
Drop the bike from Delhi, the bike would have to have a Temp Registration, which means that the LTT would have to be paid in Delhi, if they are going to use GATI then good luck. Too many horror stories.
I am thinking about the same thing as getting the bike from Delhi might mean I would have to pay the Life Tax, Sales Tax and zillion other taxes twice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by downsouth View Post
Take your friend to the dealership, try and get it sorted out.
Chetan Bhai, The friend is no one else but our very own Sabby. He had booked a RE Classic 350 but was not taking the delivery. He asked me many times but the ownership and transfer and invoice thing put me off always.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian View Post
Hi, do take delivery of the bike after a thorough enquiry as the warranty is valid only for the first owner. Things may go haywire with your friend's name on the invoice.
Is it so, I thought the Warranty is also transferred to the next owner. Anways, till the time its under warranty, it should not bother who the owner is. I always thought so.

OT: I just got the final nail in my coffin a couple of minutes back. My friend gave off the Booking Receipt to another friend.

Last edited by traveloholic : 21st July 2011 at 17:01.
Old 21st July 2011, 17:29   #9
Senior - BHPian

Nikhil : Check once again, I think you will need to pay road tax only at the place of Permanent Registration. IMO, the bike can come from Delhi on TR and then register it here locally.

Has sabby paid the amount in full for the bike? I thought only after you pay the full amount the invoice is raised in the name of the customer. Name on the booking receipt is just for customer records, and if the customer does not take delivery, the invoice can be raised in another customer's name. I think this is doable.
But yes, the name should be same on the invioce and the registration card.

Anyways, its too late now.
Fordmanchau is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2011, 17:59   #10
Senior - BHPian

HI Any one can book the bike or the car that does not matter if they have to buy it or not, when the vehicle arives the person can cancel the booking and bring some one else to buy it or the Dealer can assign the vehicle to the next person in line.
desideep is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2011, 18:36   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

@Traveloholic: Here's the argument you & your friend can use with the dealer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by desideep View Post
one can book the bike or the car that does not matter if they have to buy it or not, when the vehicle arives the person can cancel the booking ..
The dealer cannot raise an invoice till the payment is done. The booking is more about confirmation of booking money received. If he says that booking cannot be transferred - then it also would mean that the booking cannot be cancelled. Tantamount to saying that Once booked, he must buy it.

Let's say for argument's sake your friend does not pay remaining amount. Then will the dealer just sit there with the bike ? No. He will allocate it to some one else. Becuase the booking is only between buyer & dealer.

You just need your friend to be with you through this buying process - saying that you are cousins, & it is a marriage gift & stuff like that. Just hope the dealers does not say that transfers are not allowed. (Will he be able to show that in the terms & conditions of the booking ? )

Last edited by condor : 21st July 2011 at 18:38.
Old 21st July 2011, 19:08   #12
Senior - BHPian

i just cant beleive what are we all arguing about here. the gentleman above had a totaly different query.
Old 21st July 2011, 19:17   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

@desideep, there were two parts in the OP's query. One was the part of the dealer from Delhi. The other was:

Quote:
Is this true that the invoice is raised on the name of the person booking it and cannot be transfered to someone else?

If this is a false statement & I can transfer the booking of my friend on my name, I would happily go ahead and take the bike. I am confused about the whole thing.

In case, I buy the bike on my friends name and then transfer it to my name, then what about the insurance of the Bike as the insurance would be in the name of my friend and the RC on my name after transfer.

I know, I have included a lot of questions in this thread but had to write each point I wanted to ask/get clarified.
Old 22nd July 2011, 07:13   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveloholic View Post
OT: I just got the final nail in my coffin a couple of minutes back. My friend gave off the Booking Receipt to another friend.
Well, me thinks then you have been lucky. I would think it is too much hassle to have it booked in someone else's name in the same city itself. Dealers don't allow for transfers. Don't know what commercial interests they have in not allowing it!

Anyway, guess this thread is closed now?
Old 22nd July 2011, 11:08   #15
BHPian

Re: Buying a motorcycle that someone else had booked

I just got a Honda CBR booked on someone elses name last month. The dealers do not transfer bookings between individuals, and my dealer in specific was not even ready to release the bike without RTO registration on the booking persons name.

So I bought the bike and registered it on the name of the person who had booked it, I will go ahead and now transfer it to my name once the RC book arrives. Basically I now have a second hand bike

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks