Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 11th August 2011, 22:07   #46
BHPian

Re: What Bike ? - 1L OTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shivank View Post
^^

Congratulations on your new acquisition!

That's a very well and sensible choice made.

Now when do we get to see it? Upload some pics fast!
Quote:
Originally Posted by anekho View Post
Congrats! Looking forward to the pics and report!

Should look awesome in yellow!
Quote:
Originally Posted by prateekm View Post
Someone mentioned about the new Pulsar getting launched in a month or two. Are there any spy pics on the internet? If yes, could you please link them here?

@para_7k

Congrats for your FZ. Looking forward to your review and what made you change your decision from Apache to FZ.
Thanks guys.

@prateekm, I will come up with a compare report soon. Just one TD and I went for the FZ.

Some observations:
  • Love the engine. Vibe free, Nice grunt and very very torquey
  • Superb handling. Easy on corners and supremely stable on straights.
  • Slick Gearshift. All gears slot correctly. No false neutrals.
  • Brakes have enough bite. Wide tyres complement them.
  • Ride is a bit stiff. I may have to adjust the rear suspension.
  • Fit, Finish is awesome. Paint finish is top notch.
  • Headlamp is good for city use. Thank fully mine came with a Philips bulb. Low beam spread is good. High beam goes to the top of trees and buildings. May have to adjust the focus.
  • Front number plate is a true eyesore. Might have to find a workaround.
  • Some poor ergonomics. Side stand is below the gear lever and I have to look down when engaging it.
  • Kick starter has been added in the latest versions but heck, I have to fold the rider right foot rest to engage it.
  • Switches are hard to use but of good quality.
  • The console is good but has poor visibility when there is bright sunlight.
  • Tail lamp and Indicators are small but bright enough to attract attention.
  • Mirrors provide an excellent view due to the wide handle bars.
I will come up with a more detailed report after I ride for a few days.

Some pics. Please excuse the quality as they are taken at dark. I will come up with daylight pics soon!
Attached Thumbnails
What Bike ? - 1L OTR-dscf5319.jpg  

What Bike ? - 1L OTR-dscf5321.jpg  

What Bike ? - 1L OTR-dscf5323.jpg  

What Bike ? - 1L OTR-dscf5324.jpg  

What Bike ? - 1L OTR-dscf5325.jpg  

What Bike ? - 1L OTR-dscf5326.jpg  

What Bike ? - 1L OTR-dscf5327.jpg  

What Bike ? - 1L OTR-dscf5334.jpg  

Old 12th August 2011, 09:24   #47
BHPian

Here are some daylight pics of the Yellow Streak
Attached Thumbnails
What Bike ? - 1L OTR-dscf5337.jpg  

What Bike ? - 1L OTR-dscf5338.jpg  

What Bike ? - 1L OTR-dscf5339.jpg  

What Bike ? - 1L OTR-dscf5341.jpg  

What Bike ? - 1L OTR-dscf5342.jpg  

What Bike ? - 1L OTR-dscf5343.jpg  

What Bike ? - 1L OTR-dscf5345.jpg  

What Bike ? - 1L OTR-dscf5347.jpg  

What Bike ? - 1L OTR-dscf5349.jpg  

What Bike ? - 1L OTR-dscf5350.jpg  

What Bike ? - 1L OTR-dscf5346.jpg  

What Bike ? - 1L OTR-dscf5351.jpg  

Old 12th August 2011, 11:24   #48
Senior - BHPian

Looks very very good! Love that fat rear tire

Which Yamaha Dealer did you buy her from? What tilted you away from the TVS to the FZ?
anekho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2011, 12:07   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anekho View Post
Looks very very good! Love that fat rear tire

Which Yamaha Dealer did you buy her from? What tilted you away from the TVS to the FZ?
Thanks Anekho! I bought it from Raj Yamaha on OMR - Thoraipakkam.

The RTR 180 is not an easy rule out. I will come up with a detailed report very soon!
Old 12th August 2011, 12:18   #50
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the yellow streak. This yellow on the Yam is pleasing to the eye and not garish.

The high beam was adjusted in the first service on my bike and yes they are adequate for both city and highway use. I have used it a lot on State Highways with potholes and speed breakers at nights and have never had a heart in the mouth situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by para_7k View Post
The RTR 180 is not an easy rule out. I will come up with a detailed report very soon!
Will look forward to this comparo. Please put it up at the earliest.
abhinav.s is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2011, 15:07   #51
BHPian

Congrats mate! Invest on a good helmet and gear. Ride safe
tejus.s is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2011, 11:40   #52
BHPian

Update:

Got the crash bar installed. It was the butterfly type and priced at INR 75.

The dealer later discounted it and gave it to me as a compliment.

Here is what I paid:

OTR Price: INR 79,151

3rd Year Extended Warranty - INR 777

Choice of Regn number Pattern (I'm specific on this) - INR 2,500

Total burn to my Wallet - INR 82,428
Old 25th September 2011, 13:46   #53
BHPian

Update: Got my first service completed.

Service cost is 440 for Engine Oil + Filter, Chain Servicing and others.

Completed 940 kms. Just 60 kms away from completing the run-in

Some observations so far:

Engine: This has to be the best part. Power delivery is Linear, Mid range is lovely. After riding the P180, this feels very refined, not in the Honda League but in its own way.

Ride: The Ride is still stiff. I can't seem to get used to it. The guys at service center said it's time consuming to adjust it. I still believe it was just an excuse. One good thing is that, the undulations seem to get transferred to my shoulders than my back.

Handling: Another benchmark. Excellent at corners and superb on straights. Simply put, this bike will go where you ask it to go. And yeah, it sticks to the road enough. The MRFs are doing a superb job.

Brakes: Front brake is the best. Rear brake is only a namesake. Rear brake only will be suicidal. Apply both brakes and bike stops with good control. No way close to Apache but personally, I feel it's better than a Pulsar.

Others:

- Headlamp is great. Focus was corrected during 1st service and it is doing a great job. It does not match my earlier P180s 60/55W but has a nice spread and throw. I guess the Philips lamp+ full DC + reflector design is doing the job.

- Tail lamp is bright, contrary to my earlier belief.
- Console is too tiny and basic.
- Switches are nice to use.
- Thanks to Chennai's intermittent rains, Rust is inevitable and have started creeping up in some hidden areas.
- 84mm sidewall height on the rear tyre means I have to be careful on bad roads. I am trying my best to be.
- I am cleaning and lubing the chain once a week.

I still get some attention. I believe yellow FZs are still rare.

I will continue to update this thread as I go along!
Old 26th September 2011, 12:44   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Update: Got my first service completed.
Service cost is 440 for Engine Oil + Filter, Chain Servicing and others.
Completed 940 kms. Just 60 kms away from completing the run-in
Great. How was the service experience? Were you satisfied with it?

Quote:
Some observations so far:
Ride: The Ride is still stiff. I can't seem to get used to it. The guys at service center said it's time consuming to adjust it. I still believe it was just an excuse. One good thing is that, the undulations seem to get transferred to my shoulders than my back.
This was a sore point when I had the FZ as well. Somehow the ride quality was very stiff. And don't accept the nonsense about it taking a long time to adjust. I have got it adjusted about 4 different times in the 3 months i owned the FZ for. And it was all a matter of 10 minutes to adjust it. They need to have the right tool (some kind of spanner) for it.

Quote:
Handling: Another benchmark. Excellent at corners and superb on straights. Simply put, this bike will go where you ask it to go. And yeah, it sticks to the road enough. The MRFs are doing a superb job.
Superb handling on twisties and highways alike. But i felt due to the fat rear tire, the handling at low speeds felt a tad lazy compared to other bikes.

Quote:
Brakes: Front brake is the best. Rear brake is only a namesake. Rear brake only will be suicidal. Apply both brakes and bike stops with good control. No way close to Apache but personally, I feel it's better than a Pulsar.
Now it was downright scary for me coming from the RTR160. And yes, front brakes are the only savior in emergencies. And it did save me from flying off an unmarked speed breaker once on the BLR-MYS highway.

Quote:
Headlamp is great. Focus was corrected during 1st service and it is doing a great job.
Mine too was adjusted in first service, till then it was haywire. But when it comes to headlights, the RTR's have the best in the business, of course not taking the P220 into consideration with its projector lamps.

Quote:
Console is too tiny and basic.
This was another thing that i missed sorely from the RTR which had a very informative console. On the plus side though, the font is big and easy to read on the FZ.

Quote:
84mm sidewall height on the rear tyre means I have to be careful on bad roads. I am trying my best to be.
Please be very careful. My FZ started leaking air in the 2nd month of ownership and the problem could not be identified. It was not the Rim, nor the tires. It was just losing the pressure. And this after being extra cautious to avoid bad roads.
Old 26th September 2011, 21:23   #55
BHPian

Thanks for your reply abhinav.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Great. How was the service experience? Were you satisfied with it?
Not so good. They just did water wash, oil change, chain service.

Quote:

This was a sore point when I had the FZ as well. Somehow the ride quality was very stiff. And don't accept the nonsense about it taking a long time to adjust. I have got it adjusted about 4 different times in the 3 months i owned the FZ for. And it was all a matter of 10 minutes to adjust it. They need to have the right tool (some kind of spanner) for it.
Where did you get it done ?

Quote:

Superb handling on twisties and highways alike. But i felt due to the fat rear tire, the handling at low speeds felt a tad lazy compared to other bikes.
Yes, not very flickable, but makes it up on open roads.

Quote:

Now it was downright scary for me coming from the RTR160. And yes, front brakes are the only savior in emergencies. And it did save me from flying off an unmarked speed breaker once on the BLR-MYS highway.
I wouldn't say brakes are scary. May not be as good as RTRs but better than Pulsys.

Quote:

Mine too was adjusted in first service, till then it was haywire. But when it comes to headlights, the RTR's have the best in the business, of course not taking the P220 into consideration with its projector lamps.
In my opinion, FZ's is better than RTR's. I was riding side by side to an RTR this evening and I could clearly notice it.

Quote:

This was another thing that i missed sorely from the RTR which had a very informative console. On the plus side though, the font is big and easy to read on the FZ.

Please be very careful. My FZ started leaking air in the 2nd month of ownership and the problem could not be identified. It was not the Rim, nor the tires. It was just losing the pressure. And this after being extra cautious to avoid bad roads.
[/quote]

Have you checked your rims ? Take it to a good tyre dealer and have it checked.

Last edited by para_7k : 26th September 2011 at 21:25.
Old 27th September 2011, 11:43   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Not so good. They just did water wash, oil change, chain service.
Hmm... Seems like a problem here in Bangalore as well. Got it serviced at 2 different service centers. Both the times the washing was not satisfactory and i had to remind them to lube the chain.

Quote:
Where did you get it done ?
I have got the shocks adjusted in 3 service centers in Bangalore and once in a relatively small service center in Coorg. Thankfully all of them had the required tool and it took then a few minutes to adjust it as per my liking of harder/softer setting. In fact the whole operation of the guy searching for the spanner to setting the shocks took about 12-15 minutes.

Quote:
Have you checked your rims ? Take it to a good tyre dealer and have it checked.
Yes the rims were checked and I was told i have to replace it claiming insurance. But I sold off the bike in August and booked my losses. It was not just the rim but there were many other issues with my bike.

Most Viewed