Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd August 2011, 13:14   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: IBA Rides- Preparation, Route, Planning thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by driverace View Post

morever, the kind of spanner needed to adjust the suspension is not in the toolkit!
Its not that common either <says the Yam guy at showroom>.

Ace.
Can you post the suspension pic. Lets see if it can be done with CBR suspension adjustment tool, which i have.
Old 2nd August 2011, 14:12   #17
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadBiker View Post
And i chose Chennai - Madurai - Chennai - Salem - Chennai / 1650 Kilometers in 19.5 Hours!
Which bike? You have covered the distance in real short time! 19.5 hours for covering 1650kms is too good!

I wish to do a saddlesore starting from chennai soon. Which route would you recommend? Chennai - Madurai - Chennai - Salem - Chennai? I am pretty sure with road from Chennai - Tirunelveli, but havent travelled on the salem route at all.

How about Chennai- Bangalore -Chennai- Madurai- Chennai? Google map says 1615kms.
Old 2nd August 2011, 15:12   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
(August) Weekends agenda:
Saturday: (3 AMish) Test run with all gears on (+saddlebags) to Nandi Hills.
Sunday: (2 AMish) Test run on NICE road (BETL to NH4).
early morning test ride?

Quote:
13th-14th Saddlesore would also be followed by a PH on a Monday
what's a PH? phone home?

btw, do you have your checklist ready? have you got your jacket and knee guards yet?
Old 2nd August 2011, 15:58   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk_sans View Post
Can you post the suspension pic. Lets see if it can be done with CBR suspension adjustment tool, which i have.
Will do that by late evening today.
Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
early morning test ride?
hehe, ok, the one with you can be put off till 5 AMish
the next one, I will do at the same unearthly hour, that I plan to start my SS 1000
what's a PH? phone home?

btw, do you have your checklist ready? have you got your jacket and knee guards yet?
PH is Public Holiday (hehe)
Checklist is ready.
Gear (full gear will be bought on the auspicious mahurat of Wednesday evening)
Actually I have been in meetings from Monday-will be so today as well. tomorrow- late noon, I will leave for Orion Motors / Helmet Paradise and get my gear. (will bug you then surely! dont put your phone on silent - by mistake )
Thanks for the spirits guys!

Cheers,

Ace.

Last edited by driverace : 2nd August 2011 at 15:59.
Old 2nd August 2011, 16:55   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Will do that by late evening today.
Thanks.

PH is Public Holiday (hehe)
Checklist is ready.
Gear (full gear will be bought on the auspicious mahurat of Wednesday evening)
Actually I have been in meetings from Monday-will be so today as well. tomorrow- late noon, I will leave for Orion Motors / Helmet Paradise and get my gear. (will bug you then surely! dont put your phone on silent - by mistake )
Thanks for the spirits guys!

Cheers,

Ace.
no problemo! you can borrow my MX3 and (if it fits you) my Nero. let me know. however, i would suggest a full glove for the early morning and night ride (you don't want 'em knuckles cold), but mesh gloves for the day ride (will get some air inside).

plan on carrying a small P&S camera to take pictures at key points. i could have lent you mine, but its battery runs out very fast and it won't last your trip. you might also wanna carry a small notebook and pen (in a weatherproof plastic bag) to keep logs. the IBA has a format for logs, but might turn out difficult to use during the trip.

regarding the test rides (Aug 6th i presume), we can do it at the same time you plan to start from Bangalore on the actual SS1K. i was thinking, instead of heading to Nandi Hills, why not take the actual route of your travel? this will give you good practice run.

you'll need to pick the start (kick off your SS1K) and end points (i'll be waiting when you make landfall).
Old 2nd August 2011, 18:21   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
no problemo! you can borrow my MX3 and (if it fits you) my Nero. let me know. however, i would suggest a full glove for the early morning and night ride (you don't want 'em knuckles cold), but mesh gloves for the day ride (will get some air inside).

You really are very inspiring in so many ways! thanks (from the bottom of my heart!)

plan on carrying a small P&S camera to take pictures at key points. i could have lent you mine, but its battery runs out very fast and it won't last your trip. you might also wanna carry a small notebook and pen (in a weatherproof plastic bag) to keep logs. the IBA has a format for logs, but might turn out difficult to use during the trip.

I am planning on taking two mobiles with me - which can act as the cams!
One is 5MP (A4 ) and other is 2MP (HTC- trusty phone- two days backup with songs running long times!)
Dont think I can source any P&S, but, still checking.

regarding the test rides (Aug 6th i presume), we can do it at the same time you plan to start from Bangalore on the actual SS1K. i was thinking, instead of heading to Nandi Hills, why not take the actual route of your travel? this will give you good practice run.

you'll need to pick the start (kick off your SS1K) and end points (i'll be waiting when you make landfall).
Ya, ride on 6th (since you are kind enough to be with me on that one), I was planning to go to Nandi Hills -as it will give me varied-terrain experience - in like 3 hours or so.
+ I will use the GPS/ Navi to check for any final adjustments, required, if any.

On 7th, I am planning to do a run on the NICE road - which will be sorta-getting pre-cog of the start & end of my SS1K
If you are willing to come, you are most welcome! (but, you are already helping me a tonne! with the help and phone-a-friend advice, and lending me stuff! and so much man!) - [assume senti-choked voice here] (lol)
But, seriously,
Thanks for everything!

Ace.

Last edited by driverace : 2nd August 2011 at 18:25.
Old 2nd August 2011, 18:30   #22
BHPian

Quote:
@madbiker,
thanks for the wishes and route options.

But, I have verified/tallied the route, and it is in really good shape + I have identified the bunks which will be good to fillup, and some other details of the route are addressed as well.

Perhaps, the next SS on that route!
__

Thanks,

Ace.
Good luck for your trip. Just watch out for un marked speed breakers along davengri stretch and use high beam while crossing towns to keep a tab on jaywalkers / cattle / cyclers on road.

My suggestion would be not to mess something with anything that we are not sure of. better let it be the way it is and atleast you will know how your bike will react. just my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Which bike? You have covered the distance in real short time! 19.5 hours for covering 1650kms is too good!

I wish to do a saddlesore starting from chennai soon. Which route would you recommend? Chennai - Madurai - Chennai - Salem - Chennai? I am pretty sure with road from Chennai - Tirunelveli, but havent travelled on the salem route at all.

How about Chennai- Bangalore -Chennai- Madurai- Chennai? Google map says 1615kms.
I rode a Kawasaki Ninja 250R!

I did not plan my ride at all, it was a instant decision and followed my instincts. Bangalore would be a little less on the total - Better to have 1650 kilometers overall, just to be on safer side. speedo errors would be there over such a long trip.

I ventured after madurai, but the road towards thirunelveli became two lane after madurai bypass. So took a U turn and came back towards Chennai and then to Salem.

And Chennai - Salem is fun.. Chennai - K'giri is as usual 4 lane - but k'giri - Salem is absolute fun. Can maintain 120 kmph.

Good luck for your trip too!
Old 2nd August 2011, 18:51   #23
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

I did not plan my ride at all, it was a instant decision and followed my instincts. Bangalore would be a little less on the total - Better to have 1650 kilometers overall, just to be on safer side. speedo errors would be there over such a long trip.

I ventured after madurai, but the road towards thirunelveli became two lane after madurai bypass. So took a U turn and came back towards Chennai and then to Salem.

And Chennai - Salem is fun.. Chennai - K'giri is as usual 4 lane - but k'giri - Salem is absolute fun. Can maintain 120 kmph.

Good luck for your trip too!
Ah, Ninja! No wonder the time is so short compared to usual indian saddlesore runs!

I'll be riding an old Pulsar 180, and hence lot more planning is required, i guess. Would be able to take a cruising speed of only around 90kmph on open roads!

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 2nd August 2011 at 18:54.
Old 2nd August 2011, 19:48   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Good luck for your trip. Just watch out for un marked speed breakers along davengri stretch and use high beam while crossing towns to keep a tab on jaywalkers / cattle / cyclers on road.

My suggestion would be not to mess something with anything that we are not sure of. better let it be the way it is and atleast you will know how your bike will react. just my opinion.

Thanks a lot for the suggestions.

I just dont know how I missed the strikingly awesome 19.5 hrs!

Good feat man!
congratulations!

I plan on my next upgrade to be the N250 (Let's see, when I get the dough to cook up that one!)

But, first some action on my Fz

Ace.
Old 2nd August 2011, 20:33   #25
BHPian

Quote:
I just dont know how I missed the strikingly awesome 19.5 hrs!

Good feat man!
congratulations!

I plan on my next upgrade to be the N250 (Let's see, when I get the dough to cook up that one!)

But, first some action on my Fz

Ace.
Ha ha Thanks!

I covered 1018 Kilometers in first 12 hours. 1350 in 15 hours. 1650 in 19.5 hours.

Few incidents on road like, getting chased by a gang of thugs, jaywalkers at every village, mad cyclers crossing the highway and getting drenched in rain for 350 kilometers made things worse and affected my concentration levels.

Do watch out for the rain and as mentioned in the IBA website, wear your rain gear before it rains!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Ah, Ninja! No wonder the time is so short compared to usual indian saddlesore runs!

I'll be riding an old Pulsar 180, and hence lot more planning is required, i guess. Would be able to take a cruising speed of only around 90kmph on open roads!
Thanks! What i did was a Indian saddle Sore too

Pulsar 180 would give you a longer range. Though the Ninja has a range of around 270-300 i stopped every 200 - 240 kilometers (barring the butt breaks every 100 kilometers) to rest the body, butt and the bike.
Old 2nd August 2011, 22:45   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Ha ha Thanks!

I covered 1018 Kilometers in first 12 hours. 1350 in 15 hours. 1650 in 19.5 hours.
Wow Man!
Few incidents on road like, getting chased by a gang of thugs, jaywalkers at every village, mad cyclers crossing the highway and getting drenched in rain for 350 kilometers made things worse and affected my concentration levels.

Do watch out for the rain and as mentioned in the IBA website, wear your rain gear before it rains!
I guess, with the amount of things you have said here, you could as well have an interesting travelogue even for the SS !! ( I guess, that would be a first in itself! lol)

Do pen down your experience in detail!
I could get somethings, which I may have missed!

Thanks,

Ace.
Old 3rd August 2011, 12:24   #27
BHPian

@driverace - Please do a 100 Kms 1 way test run (total of 200 Kms) from Bangalore on the same route that you are planning to do your saddle sore on. This should give you good practice and a hint of things to come.
I normally travel from Pune to Mahabaleshwar phata (77 Kms 1 way) and back with a 5 min break in between for my practice runs.

Regards,
Kaustubh
Old 3rd August 2011, 13:46   #28
BHPian

if you need any help, pm me. little busy this days but would surely help you. all the best for your ride.
Old 3rd August 2011, 15:42   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaustubh_vaze View Post
@driverace - Please do a 100 Kms 1 way test run (total of 200 Kms) from Bangalore on the same route that you are planning to do your saddle sore on. This should give you good practice and a hint of things to come.
I normally travel from Pune to Mahabaleshwar phata (77 Kms 1 way) and back with a 5 min break in between for my practice runs.

Regards,
Kaustubh
Yes Sir!
Same has been scheduled this weekend (both days )
just a few posts back - with our expert Hawk-eye (Ironhawk).

mini test run to hills near Blr (Nandi Hills) will be on Saturday (Qualifying!)
200km test run will happen on Sunday (Race day!)

Thanks for the point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by swapitude View Post
if you need any help, pm me. little busy this days but would surely help you. all the best for your ride.
Thanks, I will ping you for some more inputs later!

Good day,

Ace.
Old 4th August 2011, 07:19   #30
BHPian

@santosh,
I totally missed out on taking a snap of the suspension adjustment.
will do that in another hour or two.

I have bought part of gear yesterday, and will buy the rest today.
I have been riding with the gear since yesterday.
More updates on that in detail, later.

Update on Gear:

Yesterday I visited Orion Motors and Helmet Paradise for gear purchase.
Gear picked:

1. Riding Jacket DSG Nero - 5500 INR
2. Balaclava (Alpinestars) - 300 INR
3. Gloves DSG Revive - 2200 INR (I came back and checked, the cost on DSG site is 1990 INR - the shop should get a revisit from me today! )
4. Replaced (clear) visor (Helmet- Vega Boolean) - 160 INR

Accessory bought:

1. Tank Pad (Carbon fibre-Keiti) - 900 INR

Still to buy:

1. Knee guards:
I did not see some decent knee guards at both the stores.
FOX ones seemed to be dupes, and Alpinestars were above expected range!
Please suggest on this one.

2. Shoes/boots:
I 'cannot' spend on riding boots now - at over 8000 INR, I would need some collection time!
I think I will continue with my current shoes (simple sport shoes - but are comfortable enough)

3. Saddlebags:
Was looking for Colt/Stallion or similar quality bags.
Rjays were available, again over budget - @ 4100 INR

4. Accessories and spares:

WD40+OKS Chain Lube
Acc/Clutch cables
Spark plug
Puncture kit
Foot pump (with gauge preferably)

^ Can I get all these at one store? (nearer to Marathahalli)?

Thanks,

Ace.

Last edited by driverace : 4th August 2011 at 07:36.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks