Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th August 2011, 10:57   #1
Senior - BHPian

Yamaha Fz-S Rim Replacement, Help Me Out!

Hi all,
After a small mishap, I've ended up with some nasty dents on my Fz's both rims (I've mentioned this is my ownership thread). This has been a while and I've tried certain ways to rectify the issue locally but I found it wont work (read losing air pressure fast) and tried couple of dealerships for rim replacements but even after months of waiting, they are finding it hard to source. Off late, I've been receiving some quotes from some spare-wallahs but my heart just wont budge. Should I trust em? Or should I wait until the dealer source it? Any better options?

Also, Its time I replace my chain and sprocket too, while that is available off the shelves, is there anything better I should look out for? An upgrade? Something out there that offers more go and better reliability?

Help me out guys
Old 12th August 2011, 11:24   #2
BHPian

Re: Yamaha Fz-S Rim Replacement, Help Me Out!

Write a mail to yamaha customer service naming your authorized service center. They will make sure that you get new alloys.
Regarding the chain and sprocket, its better not to fiddle with the original set up. FZ is already having an O-ring set up. O-rings are designed specifically to retain lubrication and to repel dirt and debris. This is the main reason why most modern motorcycles use O-ring motorcycle chains. O-Ring style chains are tougher and last longer, and as a result, they are more expensive than conventional roller chains. I seriously don't think there is room for improvement.
sharanvenu is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2011, 12:14   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorcher View Post
Hi all,
After a small mishap, I've ended up with some nasty dents on my Fz's both rims (I've mentioned this is my ownership thread). This has been a while and I've tried certain ways to rectify the issue locally but I found it wont work (read losing air pressure fast) and tried couple of dealerships for rim replacements but even after months of waiting, they are finding it hard to source. Off late, I've been receiving some quotes from some spare-wallahs but my heart just wont budge. Should I trust em? Or should I wait until the dealer source it? Any better options?

Also, Its time I replace my chain and sprocket too, while that is available off the shelves, is there anything better I should look out for? An upgrade? Something out there that offers more go and better reliability?

Help me out guys
Scorcher,

Sorry to hear about your ordeal. What is the brand that a spare parts guy is having ?

You can do some research on the brand from the internet.

Does it match the size of OE rims - especially the width ?

As a work around, see if you can run with tubes for some time. Be sedate though!

Last edited by para_7k : 12th August 2011 at 12:15.
Old 12th August 2011, 12:31   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by para_7k View Post
As a work around, see if you can run with tubes for some time. Be sedate though!
Thats a very bright, trouble free and cost effective option for some time till you find your alloy replacement. Take out the 'neck' inside your tyre, insert a tube made for 17 inch wheel, fill it up and ride on. You at least won't have loss of air pressure.

I guess the spare wallahs are quoting for used alloys, right?
Old 12th August 2011, 12:32   #5
BHPian

Scorcher, sorry to hear about the incident.
I would recommend the authorized dealer for moving parts like alloys. If it is a non-moving part like headlight or mouldings then its fine, cause it would not affect the basic functionality much.
The wheels and tires are a fundamental part of a vehicle. Even a slight bend in the alloy may cause high angular velocities and disturb the whole balance of the vehicle.
Old 12th August 2011, 12:50   #6
Senior - BHPian

Infact, I have done up just the rear wheel and the front is on tube only. I am not pretty comfortable with that situation and doesn't feel confident enough to throw some good corners at her. Hence I need to nail it and nail it soon.

Not sure of the brand of the rims the spare-wallah offered me, I wasn't much bothered cos I had no idea to buy from him or I'd be phobic every time I wished to throw her some beans
Old 12th August 2011, 13:02   #7
BHPian

I agree that its kind of weird situation to have a tube inside a tube-less radial tire. But, take my word on this, you wont feel any difference with your tube inside the tire and without it. The one and only difference it makes is, the tire will be some 50 to 100 gm heavier. But will never be able to catch the difference. Punctures if happening will drain the air quickly but again that's the way the people with tubed tires live. It wont have any impact on your handling neither will your handling have any impact on the tire. You'll be perfectly safe.
Old 12th August 2011, 13:34   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajanprash View Post
Scorcher, sorry to hear about the incident.
I would recommend the authorized dealer for moving parts like alloys. If it is a non-moving part like headlight or mouldings then its fine, cause it would not affect the basic functionality much.
The wheels and tires are a fundamental part of a vehicle. Even a slight bend in the alloy may cause high angular velocities and disturb the whole balance of the vehicle.
Rightly said. I think I'll stick with the genuine parts and try to get in touch with Yamaha to source the parts easily.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharanvenu View Post
I agree that its kind of weird situation to have a tube inside a tube-less radial tire. But, take my word on this, you wont feel any difference with your tube inside the tire and without it. The one and only difference it makes is, the tire will be some 50 to 100 gm heavier. But will never be able to catch the difference. Punctures if happening will drain the air quickly but again that's the way the people with tubed tires live. It wont have any impact on your handling neither will your handling have any impact on the tire. You'll be perfectly safe.
I am not talking about the tires, I am pretty fine with the tubes in em. But the make-shift job I done with the rims. Its still dented and *could* break from that point on.
Old 12th August 2011, 15:13   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey Scorcher, Sorry to hear about your ordeal.

Like someone mentioned above, call some major numbers in your Owners Manual, and let them know the issue. They will locate where the stock is available and arrange for you to get it replaced. I has an issue with the LED tail lamps in my RTR, and calling the area manager at EKM solved my issue in just two days. They shipped the item from cochin dealership to mine neighborhood one.

Quote:
Take out the 'neck' inside your tyre, insert a tube made for 17 inch wheel, fill it up and ride on. You at least won't have loss of air pressure.
I dont think there is any tube for 140 section tyres which came with the FZ.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorcher View Post
I think I'll stick with the genuine parts and try to get in touch with Yamaha to source the parts easily.
Try to stick with OE ones, but in case you dont get hold of one, then its completely fine going with non-OE, good quality ones. The speeds that bikes achieve in India rarely demand absolute perfection.
dhanushs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2011, 15:34   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
I dont think there is any tube for 140 section tyres which came with the FZ.
Obviously, Its a tube-less type. But since it's side walls are leaking air because of the bent wheel, it is suggested to use a tube inside the tube-less tire. Take out the neck and what you have is equivalent to a tube-type tire. There is nothing wrong in that. People doing rough terrain with tube-less tires usually adopt this technique so that even if the wheel suffers a bend or two, they can continue travelling. But all the advantages of the tube-less tire are lost at once when you put the tube.
Old 12th August 2011, 15:43   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
it is suggested to use a tube inside the tube-less tire.
Oh.. Sorry for not being clear. What I meant is, there is no tube available to fit in the 140 section tyres. What you mentioned is possible for max 120 section.

Or is there any tube for 140 section, that I'm not aware of? Please advice.

Cheers!
Old 12th August 2011, 16:10   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
What I meant is, there is no tube available to fit in the 140 section tyres. What you mentioned is possible for max 120 section.
Or is there any tube for 140 section, that I'm not aware of? Please advice.
Cheers!
You are absolutely correct about the tube. MRF Doesn't make any tube of this configuration. But my room mate is riding on with a 120 section tube in his FZ since 6 months. We had gone for a road trip and the FZ got a puncture in between. There was a 2 inch nail lodged in it. We could heard the tink-tink noise every time the wheel rotated. There was absolutely no air leakage, but we showed it at a local puncture shop and he didn't have anything to repair the tube-less variant. So he managed to set his hands on a tube and had it installed for us. Its of Dunlop make and I believe its of this 120 section tyre. Theoretically, it is not possible, but it works in practice. And any way, the difference in perimeter between 140/60 and 120/80 tires is less than 10mm. So I think there is nothing to worry.
Old 12th August 2011, 16:13   #13
BHPian

Quote:
You are absolutely correct about the tube. MRF Doesn't make any tube of this configuration. But my room mate is riding on with a 120 section tube in his FZ since 6 months. We had gone for a road trip and the FZ got a puncture in between. There was a 2 inch nail lodged in it. We could heard the tink-tink noise every time the wheel rotated. There was absolutely no air leakage, but we showed it at a local puncture shop and he didn't have anything to repair the tube-less variant. So he managed to set his hands on a tube and had it installed for us. Its of Dunlop make and I believe its of this 120 section tyre. Theoretically, it is not possible, but it works in practice. And any way, the difference in perimeter between 140/60 and 120/80 tires is less than 10mm. So I think there is nothing to worry.
+1 to that. I too meant to suggest a 120 section tube.

Enticer used to come with 140 section tyres but that was 15"

It is not a solution though and spirited riding is not recommend.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks