Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2011, 22:15   #31
BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield to make 1000cc monsters?

I don't think a 1000cc single is a good idea.. as such the vibes from a 500 single is spine rattling.. a 1000cc single will rattle forefathers. I think the right way forward and what RE might also consider is a twin 750 or 1000 based on their current 350, 500 UCEs..
And for this to materialize will take at least 3-4 years considering how they are already struggling to meet their current demands..
Old 26th August 2011, 00:37   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

In my opinion, Royal Enfield should first address their wiring issues on their existing models. Increasing the size of the wires by one wire size and wrapping the harness and its minor branches with a good protective cover (in place of the electrical tape they currently used on my G5) would go a long way towards improving it.
While they are at it they should provide increased protection for the harness at all locations where it is close to sharp metal edges. Heat shrink tubing would not cost a great deal and it would go a long way towards eliminating potential shorts.

While we are dreaming, if I had a say in the design of a new "monster" I would say, "Stick with and improve upon the tradition of the twin cylinder British Royal Enfields from the past."

It would be a parallel twin, 750-800cc capacity and would look much like the 1970 750 Series II Interceptor with chrome fuel tank and mudguards.

Unlike the new Triumphs engines this new RE would have an engine that looks almost like the original except it would be a UCE design.

The engine would have a 5 speed transmission, fuel injection for each cylinder. It would have rolling element bearings, steel connecting rods, performance camshafts and produce 65-75 horsepower.

The frame would be as close to the current Bullet in size as is possible. It would not be a Harley Davidson sized machine and excellent handling would be a priority.
It would have dual front disk brakes but would retain the traditional spoked wheels.
Ideally, these wheels would use a technology similar to that used by BMW in the past which laced the spokes to flanges on the rims. This created a sealed rim so that tubeless tyres could be used.

Needless to say, the wiring harness would be state of the art.

Last edited by ArizonaJim : 26th August 2011 at 00:39.
ArizonaJim is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2011, 22:53   #33
BHPian

with ArizonaJim, though RE has improved a lot on quality, there is still a lot to be desired. My brand new C5 (delivered 18th Aug.. yes very new indeed ) had rusted washers, nuts and even the peeling off paint on the frame near the center stand. I brought this to the attention of the RE brand store Chennai and they do not have an answer or a remedy for now.. hopefully will get this sorted during the first service.
The side lock was damaged from factory, but working.. was replaced by them within the next couple of days (however the replacement lock set that came from the factory not including lock for the oval toolbox is another story completely)
Old 3rd March 2012, 18:00   #34
Senior - BHPian

Spotted this in chennai today.

Royal Enfield to make 1000cc monsters?-416882_10151305940082923_617777922_9062681_1259594706_n.jpg
Old 3rd March 2012, 18:05   #35
BHPian

That looks like the Carberry V-twin built by Ian Drysdale... Thought it was only in Australia. Looks good. Wonder how it performs!
Old 6th March 2012, 15:20   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha1 View Post
1000cc but only 35 bhp at wheel.
That is what I expect from RE.

see the trend (BHP per CC just keeps going down):
350 cc - 18 bhp
500 cc - 22 bhp
1000 cc - 35 bhp

And of course, as Spitfire says - lets not bring the handling part in yet.

And one more thing which just came to my mind after checking that rediff link:
Why do ppl think that banning vehicles that consume more fuel is going to solve their problem of LIMITED FOSSIL FUEL resources.

By using vehicles that consume less fuel, you are ONLY DELAYING the problem, not solving.
In fact the faster crude oil gets consumed, the faster we will have newer alternative technologies and fuel.
And it will make commercial sense also (since everything today needs a capitalist justification)

Royal Enfield engines are not about horse power.They are pushrod engine, pushrods generates torque a lot of it. What bullet gives is the ability for leisure biking. Harley Davidson bikes generate 67-75 hp from 1000 to 1800 cc engines(other than V-Rod which is not a pushrod engine). Royal Enfield and Harley Davidson are the only brands which still produces pushrod engines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cogentr View Post
I don't think a 1000cc single is a good idea.. as such the vibes from a 500 single is spine rattling.. a 1000cc single will rattle forefathers. I think the right way forward and what RE might also consider is a twin 750 or 1000 based on their current 350, 500 UCEs..
And for this to materialize will take at least 3-4 years considering how they are already struggling to meet their current demands..
Vibration are because of Heavy Crank(when heavy metal rotates very fast it will create a lot vibrations).Heavy Cranks is one the main reason for pushrod engines torque figures. so making compromise on crank weight will cause in loosing the character of the engine.Even harleys vibrate a lot (all harley engines are pushrods other than V-Rods).

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team : Please use "Multi Quote" option for quoting Multiple posts, instead of creating another back-to-back post.

Last edited by Technocrat : 7th March 2012 at 02:24. Reason: Please read the note in your post, thanks
Old 6th March 2012, 16:05   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by justin.das View Post
Royal Enfield engines are not about horse power.They are pushrod engine, pushrods generates torque a lot of it. What bullet gives is the ability for leisure biking. Harley Davidson bikes generate 67-75 hp from 1000 to 1800 cc engines(other than V-Rod which is not a pushrod engine). Royal Enfield and Harley Davidson are the only brands which still produces pushrod engines.
I think we, the owners, are allowed to get peeved at Enfield sometimes.

And actually its not the pushrods that generate loads of torque.
Its the long stroke length.
Pushrods actually limit the RPM.

So we can have a long stroke engine, with normal belt/chain driven cams which are more reliable (does not require any periodic adjustment and tuning), and also produce mammoth torque.

The sound ... well the pushrods may actually have very small contribution to the sound of thump.
Thump happens because the bike generates loads of torque at low RPM.
And the sound quality of thump depends on the material.

Enfield anyway has gone away from the original thump.
By changing the torque-RPM curve of the engine (new engines start lugging instead of thumping).
and the engine material to Aluminium alloy.

Last edited by alpha1 : 6th March 2012 at 16:11.
alpha1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2012, 16:22   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulkool View Post
Spotted this in chennai today.

Attachment 896593
what the !!! can you get me some more details on this please??
Old 6th March 2012, 16:37   #39
BHPian

Hello Alpha 1,

Noticed that you are based in Pune, whereabouts? if I may be permitted to enquire.

Agree with your justificatons listed above.

I've been involved with RE for a while, the QA/QC issues have the local dealer squirming in this market.

Sincerely hope that the 1000cc will not be a "Vee" twin.

There is some work in progress for a Twin, however, will divulge details shortly.

Reg,

BB
Old 6th March 2012, 19:21   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by howler View Post
what the !!! can you get me some more details on this please??
Sorry mate, i was riding and saw this bike parked. I had just clicked couple of pics, as the owner was not around could not get any details.
Old 7th March 2012, 12:57   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britishbangers View Post
Hello Alpha 1,

Noticed that you are based in Pune, whereabouts? if I may be permitted to enquire.

Agree with your justificatons listed above.

I've been involved with RE for a while, the QA/QC issues have the local dealer squirming in this market.

Sincerely hope that the 1000cc will not be a "Vee" twin.

There is some work in progress for a Twin, however, will divulge details shortly.

Reg,

BB
I hang around Wanawadi area - have a TBird 2003-04, which has surprisingly not given any problem (except once).
Rusting ... perhaps, but then 2 years of tropical coastal climate ...

You work with RE? Consultation? Anything "remotely close"?
Please tell them to not take away the "sound".
Seriously, that is the only thing which cannot be copied.

Any demo machine?
;-)

Last edited by alpha1 : 7th March 2012 at 12:59.
Old 8th March 2012, 18:24   #42
BHPian

Hello Alpha 1,

Grew up in the army cantonment near Dighi and used to live close to the university.

I do not work for RE, however, I do provide the senior management with a lot of factual feedback, especially when they drop in to the UAE.

It is good to note that some modifications were carried out, sad that some have not been implemented so far.

RE is working on a 900cc parallel twin, expected arrival 2013 and also the Cafe racer.

I really won't be able to elaborate much more.

Hope you understand.

Reg,

BB
Britishbangers is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed