Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2011, 01:01   #1
BHPian

Fuel Taps in Royal Enfield

What is the exact function of a fuel tap? And if I understand correctly, post 1999 Royal Enfield motorcycles do not have fuel taps. Why? Are there any disadvantages of using a fuel tap on your motorcycle?
Old 25th August 2011, 10:13   #2
BHPian

Re: Fuel Taps in Royal Enfield

The function of a Fuel Tap also known as Petrol Cock in RE/Bullet lingo is to control the fuel flow from the fuel tank to the carburettor. It has 3 positions - On, Off and Reserve. When in the On position, it helps the rider know when he reaches his bikes reserve fuel level. The fuel flow reaches a preset 'reserve' level and beyond that automatically cuts the supply. Helpful, as RE's never had a fuel gauge. When the bike is not being used, the fuel tap is switched to the Off position to prevent the carburettor from flooding and overflowing.
From my experience, i have never encountered any disadvantages of using a fuel tap on my bullet. It does get choked with dirt and sediments in the fuel tank, with use over a period of years and needs cleaning or replacement. Other than that, the old fuel taps, i believe, just add to that classic look on your old std 350.
SPEED_DEMON82 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th August 2011, 10:21   #3
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shantanupsingh View Post
What is the exact function of a fuel tap? And if I understand correctly, post 1999 Royal Enfield motorcycles do not have fuel taps. Why? Are there any disadvantages of using a fuel tap on your motorcycle?
I think its only the bikes with FI that don't have a fuel tap.
Old 25th August 2011, 10:45   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shantanupsingh View Post
Fuel taps or Petrol Cock as mentioned by Speed Demon are very much present in Bullets post 1999.
I have a 2005 / 350cc Electra and I have replaced the stock cock with an aftermarket fitment that allows the petrol cock to be locked. In addition to what Speed Demon has mentioned, the aftermkt cock allows safeguards any possible petrol pilferage.

Can't really think of any specific disadvantage from my personal experience.
Old 25th August 2011, 11:16   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

As the fuel injected UCE powered Royal Enfields have a electric fuel pump inside the fuel tank to provide the high pressure needed by the injector they do not have a petrol cock or fuel tap.

Even with the possible leakage thru the pump when the engine is not running, this is not a problem.
The only time fuel is allowed to pass thru the injector into the engine is when the computer opens a small valve in the injector and with the engine stationary and the ignition turned off the computer will not open this valve.

To provide the rider with an indication of a low fuel level in the petrol tank there is a warning light adjacent to the "check engine" light which is located where the amp meter was on the older bikes.

When this low fuel light illuminates, there is about 3 liters of fuel in the tank.

It is important for the rider of one of these fuel injected bikes to not go a great distance with this low fuel light "on" because the electric fuel pump uses the fuel to cool itself. If the tank is "run dry" the fuel pump may be damaged.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks