Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 3rd September 2011, 10:28   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: RD 350 burnt, now restored.

Good Photos you have captured whilst the bike is being rebuilt. Apparently i missed out taking photos and capturing minute details whilst my bike was being restored.

Good to have these memories.
ku69rd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2011, 12:28   #32

hi Tejas,
i have a rd350, but no papers, heard that there are many rd350's in Pune that are in bad shape but for sale. Please do look out for a condemned 350 so that i can use it to assemble my bike with papers
thanks
Old 4th September 2011, 01:21   #33
BHPian

karmakurma: aside from the fact that what you ask is illegal, have you considered the cost implication? prohibitively expensive. Noc from pune to re-registering the vehicle in chennai. and you need a vehicle in pune for the noc. and need to pay green tax every year in chennai for an RD. but if your vehicle is in pune then thats a different story.
Old 4th September 2011, 12:24   #34

nice to see that bike back in lovely shape and action, nice restoration...
isn't that single chamber causing any performance drops ??
insane_x97 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2011, 17:27   #35
Senior - BHPian

expansion chamber looks the weakest part in the bike ..

get better chambers

rest the bike looks nice ..
chiragh_bir is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th September 2011, 20:27   #36

Hi Jagman... My intention is to use my 350 to cull parts to fit the bike with papers..... Can't seem to find a bike in chennai.... Hope doesn't qualify as illegal! It's just that it's such a shame that a fab bike is rotting in my garage
Old 5th September 2011, 09:33   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karmakurma View Post
Hi Jagman... My intention is to use my 350 to cull parts to fit the bike with papers..... Can't seem to find a bike in chennai.... Hope doesn't qualify as illegal! It's just that it's such a shame that a fab bike is rotting in my garage
Karma,
Should not be a problem as long as you retain the chassis & engine top which have the numbers that meets your RC Book. It cannot be termed as illegal
Couple of my bikes were restored with help from donor bikes which were later disposed off.
Guess there are no other means but to kill one bike to ensure we have atleast one good bike which is clean as well.
Old 6th September 2011, 14:09   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by insane_x97 View Post
nice to see that bike back in lovely shape and action, nice restoration...
isn't that single chamber causing any performance drops ??
Thanks! The performance is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiragh_bir View Post
expansion chamber looks the weakest part in the bike ..

get better chambers

rest the bike looks nice ..
Stock silencers will take their place soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by karmakurma View Post
I am looking for a good RD myself. But it is very difficult to find one as no one is ready to sell. But most of the spares of RD are available here. So you wont need to sacrifice a bike to restore another. If you tell me what all do you need, I'll let you know if you will get the spares or not.
Old 6th September 2011, 14:13   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas Ingle View Post
But most of the spares of RD are available here.
Tejas,
Would you be able to help me with a seat plate? Needed an OEM plate if you can possibly find one? Would be very kind off you
Old 6th September 2011, 23:13   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Tejas,
Would you be able to help me with a seat plate? Needed an OEM plate if you can possibly find one? Would be very kind off you
I have changed the seat of this particular RD. A person in Pune manufactures these metal seat plates out of dies that he has. Seat with metal plate is available for about 2000 bucks and the seat with a fibre plate cost about 3500 bucks. The fibre one is a bit lesser in height and looks sportier.
Old 7th September 2011, 09:50   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have changed the seat of this particular RD. A person in Pune manufactures these metal seat plates out of dies that he has. Seat with metal plate is available for about 2000 bucks and the seat with a fibre plate cost about 3500 bucks. The fibre one is a bit lesser in height and looks sportier.
Tejas,
You are indeed kind my friend, My bike is currently looking sore because of the seat plate and am very particular about it. Would you be able to send me photos of the metal plate? Both individual snaps as well the one fitted on the bike.
If you have fitted the metal plate on the bike that you have just restored then ignore it will look into it.
Looking forward for your further details and do PM your number so that we can speak on taking this deal further
You are just about to make my day mate
Old 7th September 2011, 14:45   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Tejas, where in pune i can get the seat done? adn where did you get the speedo meter assembly from? I am looking for one. PLease help
Old 7th September 2011, 20:26   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Tejas,
You are indeed kind my friend, My bike is currently looking sore because of the seat plate and am very particular about it. Would you be able to send me photos of the metal plate? Both individual snaps as well the one fitted on the bike.
If you have fitted the metal plate on the bike that you have just restored then ignore it will look into it.
Looking forward for your further details and do PM your number so that we can speak on taking this deal further
You are just about to make my day mate
OK. The seat plate present now is a metal one and the one preceding it was a fibre one. So you can check both. I dont have snaps of individual seats. Both the seats fit very well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by throttleking View Post
Tejas, where in pune i can get the seat done? adn where did you get the speedo meter assembly from? I am looking for one. PLease help
The seat with metal plate was done at Super seats and accessories on JM rd, opp modern high school. If you want a fibre seat plate, it will be done at Pawar seats in nana peth (the one on the corner). I have retained the old speedo on this RD, but you can find new ones at Jay Bharat spares at nana peth near chacha halwai sweets.
Tejas Ingle is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2011, 09:18   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Both the seats fit very well.
Thanks Tejas, it was pleasant speaking to you, will confirm to you on which seat you can pick up for me by evening today. Magnanimous gesture to say the least. Hope i get something to return the favor for you.
Old 16th May 2013, 14:04   #45
Senior - BHPian

Restoring RD350 - Need help with paint & graphics

Hello Everyone

I am in the process of getting my 1984 RD350 restored at my hometown in Kerala. The bike was restored once way back in 2005, but was sitting idle for a few years. I have most of the essential parts already.

There are two things in which I am pretty much stuck right now.

(1) Paint job
I want to paint the bike in one of the original colours. Since I am not in favour of Red, I am left with Silver and Blue. If my knowledge is correct, the Red and Blue which came in 1984 were non-metallic, but the Silver was. Please correct me here if I am wrong.

My requirement is to match the original company shade of Silver or Blue (the earlier Blue). Any pointers on how to go about this would be very helpful. I have tried searching through friends, the internet etc., but did not get much help. I had a few headlamp stays lying with me in the original shades - but the Red and Blue on those seem to be from the later models (which were common with the Rajdoot 175s).

I don't mind paying extra for any particular brand of paint or anything. If there is any paint shade / code which matches with the original, please let me know.

(2) Decals
I want to have the original Rajdoot stickering on the bike. In fact, when I bought her way back in 2003, it had the original paint and decals. I stupidly got her repainted her and ruined the paint shade as well as decals.

I am looking out for help from someone who has the OEM decal set and can send me tracings from the same. RD guys out there, please help!

(3) Black parts
While on the subject of paint, could anyone tell me if the original black paint on the meters and engine side covers were matte finished or glossy?

Thanks in advance
Viju

Most Viewed