Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st July 2012, 17:13   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Honda Cub is 50 Plus Years Old

Sorry, powertwin, I never said the m50 and m80 are based on the Honda Cub.
Please read my post carefully and you will understand that I have stated , the Hero Honda Street was surely based on the Honda Cub.
Old 23rd July 2012, 23:04   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
Sorry, powertwin, I never said the m50 and m80 are based on the Honda Cub.
Please read my post carefully and you will understand that I have stated , the Hero Honda Street was surely based on the Honda Cub.
No Anjan Ji !!
Only I should feel sorry for that.......So now both of us had been sailing in same boat!!
To be honest, when some body , compares M50 s & M80 s with CUB or Pearl Yamaha.....I get bit emotional.....Singh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager View Post
Powertwin ,

Wow go0d to see your 90 in superb shape and do i see an other honda as well there ?? interestingly i own a Honda C77 dream 305cc twin also from Malaysia which i am trying to restore , any leads of parts procurement would be a great help as i seem to need a couple of bits to get the bike on road .

Could you please inbox me on traditionz@vsnl.net or give me your co-ordinates that i can reach you on .I am currently on travel in Europe and will be back in India early next week when i will reach you .

Thanks

Prashanth
Bangalore
Thanks for your compliments!!
If your Honda is a Boonseiw Honda produce!!, than for sure you can get parts at Malaysia.
Sorry I haven been to Malaysia....one of my friend, who was there for some business...sourced some parts from a " Honda parts retail outlet at Malay capital.
Let me ask, if he has any business card of that particular dealer & revert you.
Cheers!!
KMK

ps: You may also contact our Tbhp member " Octaneoverdose", who is a close friend of the " Boonseiw Honda" 's official Sports events Photographer ( Sorry right now I forgot his name)...he may be able to furnish details of the dealers there, whom you couldn't find in google search to..

Last edited by powertwin : 23rd July 2012 at 23:09.
Old 24th July 2012, 09:05   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by powertwin View Post
Thanks for your compliments!!
If your Honda is a Boonseiw Honda produce!!, than for sure you can get parts at Malaysia.
Sorry I haven been to Malaysia....one of my friend, who was there for some business...sourced some parts from a " Honda parts retail outlet at Malay capital.
Let me ask, if he has any business card of that particular dealer & revert you.
Cheers!!
KMK

ps: You may also contact our Tbhp member " Octaneoverdose", who is a close friend of the " Boonseiw Honda" 's official Sports events Photographer ( Sorry right now I forgot his name)...he may be able to furnish details of the dealers there, whom you couldn't find in google search to..

Thanks powertwin ,really appreciate that .I dont know if it was a boonseiw honda product but it was imported from malaysia brand new in the late sixties.The bike has seen the ruthlessness of many so called mechanics who have lost parts etc ,but mainly cosmetic ,i have put her together and got her mechanically up and running and would need some cosmetic bits to get her to perfection and make it a daily run about .If malaysia has the parts its perfect and i can figure ways of bringing them back to india ..

will try to contact ocataneoverdose as well

Prashanth
Old 27th July 2012, 10:11   #19
BHPian

I used to love the Bajaj M50 and M80 though both were based on two stroke engines. I assume the Honda cub has a 4 stroke engine.

A really lovely little bike, the Cub. And good job Powertwin on keeping the bike in such a beautiful condition.
Old 4th November 2012, 22:43   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrnsss View Post
I used to love the Bajaj M50 and M80 though both were based on two stroke engines. I assume the Honda cub has a 4 stroke engine.

A really lovely little bike, the Cub. And good job Powertwin on keeping the bike in such a beautiful condition.
Thank you friend for your compliment...but heaven sake don't compare Honda Cub with M80 & M50..they are entirely different breed...hm!! I have Bajaj M50 & a Pearl Yamaha to.....
But each of them belongs to different race
Old 26th November 2012, 20:00   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Some facts about Honda Motor Co Ltd and the Cub. Some of its other two wheelers, including its first ever motorised two wheeler, the 146 cc Dream E Type motorcycle of 1951 are featured here. The name of their newly launched 110 cc bike in India "Dream Yuga" of today also features the word "Dream":

The Honda Cub is 50 Plus Years Old-picture-560.jpg

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 26th November 2012 at 20:03.
Old 27th November 2012, 03:49   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

It's interesting that the first Cub's were powered by a 2 stroke engine.

I may be wrong but noting in the post above that American Honda Motor Co was established in 1959 and remembering that all of the early Honda's sold in the US were 4 strokes, they must have made the switch to 4 strokes prior to that.

In the US, owning a 4 stroke engine at that time was considered superior to owing the 2 stroke.

This was before the use of trick transfer ports, rotary valves and expansion chambers so the 2 stroke didn't offer much in the way of horsepower over the 4 stroke and of course they required mixing motor oil with the petrol and scraping the carbon buildup out of the exhaust port and changing spark plugs on a regular basis.
This line of thinking put the Honda well ahead of Suzuki, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Bridgestone and several others who only produced (at the time) 2 stroke powered motorcycles.
ArizonaJim is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2012, 06:04   #23
BHPian

This might interest everyone. Snapped during International Motorcycle Show 2012, San Mateo, California.

The Honda Cub is 50 Plus Years Old-dsc_6124.jpg
josejoseph is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th May 2015, 12:32   #24
BHPian

I have been informed spares have started coming in for the Street. So I am happy to give you this information so that you too can avail of the benefit and luxury of getting the original spares.
Name of the Shop : SPARE HOUSE located at Grant Road, Mumbai 400 007.
Telephone Nos: 022 23010116,
022 27888894
E-Mail Address : thesparehouse@yahoo.com
I sincerely hope the above information will help you to procure the required spares.

Full Address: 3, Mahavir Sadan, Balaram Street, Grant Road, Opposite Bank Of India, Mumbai, MH 400007*
Phone: 022 23010116

Harish Krishnan

...source Chennai Olx

I am restoring a Hero Honda Street. Since this thread discusses a related topic, I want to ask if any the posters in this thread can confirm if any of this information is correct:

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by proton : 20th May 2015 at 12:40.
Old 20th May 2015, 18:53   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjan_c2007 View Post
The m 80 is a success story for Bajaj. It was the farmers favourite.

the Cub did the donkeys job on the muddy roads
Thanks anjan_c2007 for throwing light on cub.
After the introduction of Kinetic Honda and subsequently other CVT scooters, the configurations like M80, Hero Honda Street faded away. Needs of the urban commuter have been taken care of with motorcycles and CVT scooters.

Now, which 2-wheeler can do the donkey's job for peasants and farmers? If some manufacturer launches such a product (commercial 2 wheeler!), it will have its own niche in the market. IMO, the companies like Hero have potential to capitalize this potential. Fellow BHPian Hellmet had even commented that Hero RNT looks like a load-carrying bike!
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...scooter-2.html

Also, I have seen old Bullet used for such purpose. Royal Enfield too can think of tapping this potential with a simple-to-maintain and robust product.
Rahul Bhalgat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2018, 21:29   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Honda Cub now into its 61 st year:

The Honda Super Cub 2019 is a 125 cc (evolved from the oldest 50 cc four stroke 1958 version) , four stroke and is badged as the C 125 ABS. The features include LED headlight, front disc brake, ABS, sweeping needle speedo with LCD in the centre, luggage rack behind the single seat and keyless remote. It costs US $ 3,599. The cost works out to about Rs 2,66,000. The legendary Super Cub looks so chic in this avatar, but the cost is prohibitive for the average buyer in India.

Also the 125 cc Honda Monkey featured in this video looks so cute and costs US $ 3,999. Its ABS version costs US $ 4,199.

A link to the video :

A brief flashback into the past would reveal that all our Honda CD series variants and also the Honda scooters available in India use the Honda Cub, horizontally placed, four stroke engine technology. This technology was perfected eversince 1958, when it was first launched mainly in the South East Asian countries, where conditions were extremely challenging, with the roads and fuel quality plus the overloading these were subjected to.

Mr Siochiro Honda, the founder, himself took a keen interest in overseeing the evolution of this small engine, with the four stroke technology. Siochiro Honda and Takeo Fujisawa (Honda's senior executive) toured Germany and were inspired with the small engined mopeds available there. They drew inspiration from the 1954 Kreidler K50. There are many copycats the world over with reverse engineering, who have developed simliar engines, based on this little wonder Honda engine. The Honda engine has reached a stage today, where it boasts of reliability and fuel economy, under trying conditions that it has endured well for 60 years now.

Last edited by anjan_c2007 : 28th October 2018 at 21:38.
Old 29th October 2018, 07:53   #27
BANNED

The Cub is a legend indeed, though I believe the Hero/Honda scooters in India use a different motor the Splendor/CD/HF iterations have always stuck to the Cub derived 100cc horizontal motor.

The Cub has so much of a rep that I've been wanting to own a Splendor for a long while now, only think holding me back being the pricing, which was again the reason why I'd opted for the Kawasaki derived CT100B instead.

It's really a shame to see these wonderful machines being seen as only utility commuters when in fact we have enthusiasts who've toured the globe on them and some even in India like Mr.Saha who've successfully completed several Saddlesore runs on the Splendor.

As for strictly sticking to the Cub, the 2018 iterations feels like a let down with keyless start and the likes, it seems as though Honda is pulling a Royal Enfield by capitalising on sentiments.

Last edited by ashwinprakas : 29th October 2018 at 07:56.
Old 25th May 2021, 09:05   #28
Senior - BHPian

Here's one I spotted at the 2021 The Distinguished Gentlemen's Ride, Wellington, New Zealand chapter. A beautiful little scooter. Honda have kept all the mechanicals pretty basic and true to the original, while introducing some modern technology such as a digital display for the meter console and proximity key for keyless starts.
The Honda Cub is 50 Plus Years Old-img_20210523_134314.jpg
sandeepmohan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th January 2024, 17:10   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Couldn't resist sharing this image from a FB group of Vietnam dedicated to the Honda Cub.

The Honda Cub is 50 Plus Years Old-fb_img_1704526494884.jpg
Old 6th January 2024, 17:50   #30
Senior - BHPian

I think Honda had a similar looking model called Passport in the USA during the 80's.

But the Cub reminds me of the Bajaj M80, which I absolutely hated. And it had the reputation of a bike which the rustics bought, so the Hero Honda street introduced in the executive segment had no takers. People simply didn't want to be seen on one!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks