Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2011, 08:17   #1
BHPian

Long ride on a TVS Wego

Hi,

I have a new TVS Wego, which has completed its first service and would like to take her for a long trip. She has been in and around Bangalore and she is a beauty in the city but i would like to see her perform on the highway.

I would like to know what needs to be checked and kept for this lady during the journey ?
any advice would be appreciated.
Old 8th September 2011, 10:25   #2
BHPian

Re: Long ride on a TVS Wego

Quote:
Originally Posted by anzrulz555 View Post
Hi,

I have a new TVS Wego, which has completed its first service and would like to take her for a long trip. She has been in and around Bangalore and she is a beauty in the city but i would like to see her perform on the highway.

I would like to know what needs to be checked and kept for this lady during the journey ?
This is my take. I am guessing that the oil change was done by the service center which would have been a 10W30. This oil is too thin for this engine and if I were u, I'd change that to a 20W40 right away. A 20W40 oil would have better viscosity at higher temperatures, so lubrication would be good. 20W50 might become too thick for smooth running.

Besides that, get the mobile charger fixed for your Mobile/GPS charging. Rest everything is fine and the scoot will run like a beauty. However, the tank capacity is only 4.5 litres, so the range of running is limited. Make sure to note any fuel stations on the way, coz refuelling would be frequent.

Have a nice ride and let us know of your experience.

Prajwal
prajwalkashyap is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2011, 10:35   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anzrulz555 View Post
Hi,

Hello there. I have had a Wego for some time now. No problems so far except that the lights have a mind of their own and only work when they feel like it. I havent had the time to get this checked. Now that the first service is done, your engine must have freed up.
My views on taking the wego on the highway. I went on 50 km highway trip. It was not a very comfortable experience. I do 600 to 700 kms non-stop drives in my car regularly. So am not new to long distances on the highway, but 50 kms on the wego felt like a 100 kms. The seating posture just aint good for long stints. Its extremely convenient and easy for city use, but on a highway, I think a bike with bigger wheels would be better off. So I personally wouldnt recommend it for regular highway use.
I dont think there is anything you really need to check before taking her on the highway, now that you have just finished your first service. Engine oil must be new. Check tire pressure without fail. Bare in mind that the engine is still fairly new, so keep the revs low, around 50 - 60 kmph should be fine. Even at these speeds, the engine will have a tendency to heat up because it still needs to be properly run in. So just remember to take a break every hour or so and let her cool down a bit. (I dont know how long your planned trip is)
And once you are done with the trip, please post your experience here.
SCORPION is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2011, 18:17   #4
BHPian

thanks for the advice. never noticed the viscosity of the oil though. Probably i shall take her out this weekend. I shall post " our " experience shortly.
Old 11th September 2011, 11:10   #5
BHPian

Took Ms. Wego out on a cool Saturday morning for a ride. The roads were exceptionaly empty and therefore thought of taking the lady on the highway to check how she would behave. As the service was just over, took a quick check on the tyre pressure and filled her up with fuel worth Rs 200/ 2.82lts and headed straight for NICE road. there were couple of heavy-wieghts moving however she did wonderful. after the initial cruise, she still wanted more and therefore took the deviation towards Mysore. This is close to 155 kms one side. We just kept going, battling the wind, sun and rain and the kms kept rolling. I kept her moving in around 40-50 kmph. I have never met such a quiet engine. It is extremely quiet in the 40-50 range. My first pitstop was at Channapatna, 60 kms from Bangalore where i had to fill my fuel ( one hot plate Idli Vaada with hot tea).
The stop took us 30 mins afterwhich we moved ahead.
Apart from occasional tractors that were carrying sugarcane and few rusty KSRTC buses that were on the road, there was very minimal traffic which made riding very comfy.
Soon we reached Srirangapatna a small hamlet in Mandya district. By this time, backache had started to creep in. I kept shifting myself on the seat to counter it however it was not that effective. Took a small pitstop as we crossed Mandya as it had started to rain quite heavily. As soon as the rain stoped, we started moving and not 100 mts ahead saw a Maruti Swift had gone and rammed itself into the middle barrier. It had happened moments ago as i had seen it pass me before we took the pitstop. Luckly no one was hurt badly though the car had taken a very nasty bump on its front right side. there was a group of bikers all gathered around the car and was helping out the people within. Made a sign of the cross and we moved forward.
In about around 4ish hours we reached Mysore. Went around the city for quite some time. I was amazed that this beauty gave such wonderful results. Got off the vehicle to inspect her. the tyres and cables were intact but covered with dirt. The fuel gauge was the best part. the meter had just touched the top part of the red section. I could still easily go for another 30-40 kms, however did not want to take the risk.
The stay in Mysore was around 2 hours, where both of us filled our bellies. She had her quota of Rs 200 fuel and i had my spicy chicken biryani with coke to get it down.
After the stay we started our journey back to Bangalore. This time the roads had started to get busy. I also lost my way in Mysore due to some road construction however with the help of some localites, got onto the highway towards Mandya. The journey back was a bit borring because first, i had limited our speed to 40-50 kmph and second there was this nasty backache coupled with a tingy feeling on the inner parts of my palms. Anyways, we kept moving ahead.
The kms kept rolling and we stuck to the road. In the same amount of time, we did reach Bangalore outskirts and then the usual bangalore traffic hit us. One thing i did notice is, after you have riden a lot on open highways and you land in some traffic, we find it hard to adjust to it easily. It takes time. I think i should call this Speed Sickness or Highway sickness or something of that sort.
By nightfall we reached Bangalore and minutes later we had parked inside our house.
I was finding it difficult to stand straight for a couple of seconds. after sitting on the staricase for couple of minutes, went across to the lady to inspect her of any issues.
She was dirty and completely covered in mud on the engine and the inside parts. Started the engine and left it on idle to check for any abnormal sounds. She just sounded fine. lights were working fine. tyres were good as were the brakes. It looked like a hose pipe on the right side uderneath was kind of loose. got a torch and fixed that up.
In the end, the verdict is that Ms Wego is a wonderful piece of engineering and can be trusted in any situations. the name says it all WE GO.
Old 11th September 2011, 13:25   #6
Senior - BHPian

@anzurlz555

Thats one hell of a trip in your Wego. Did you manage to take some pics during the trip?

So how much kms did you cover in your trip and what was the average you got? Did you change the lub oil before the journey?

Regarding the back pain, was it your posture or the roads which was causing it. Sugest you to take neccessary precautions post the trip if needed. I guess the socoters are never meant for long drives, they are basically for the city commute.
Old 12th September 2011, 13:12   #7
BHPian

@ghodlur

i had taken pics however i am not being able to attach them. got to figure it out.

the backpain or i should call it stiffness, was due to the posture. its not like sitting on bikes and thus the after affects.
Old 12th September 2011, 13:25   #8
Senior - BHPian

Kudos to you for making it to Mysore and back in a single day mate!! As Ghodlur has said, scooters are meant for city riding only and hence the stiffness in your back.

@ghodlur, the road anzrulz has taken is devoid of potholes and is smooth tarmac through out. The only hindrance would have been the umpteen speed breakers near all the towns, small and big alike which are one too many on that stretch.
Old 12th September 2011, 13:37   #9
Senior - BHPian

Atleast the Wego has the telescopic front suspensions which ease the ride as compared to the Activa. I dont think I would have ventured this trip on an Activa.

How much was the round trip in kms?
Old 12th September 2011, 13:57   #10
BHPian

@ghodlur, the round trip was 306 kms from my house -> mysore -> house.

any idea of how to upload lics here ??

@abhinav, as you said the roads are smooth with the occasional turns. The only thing that gets on the nerve are the speed breakers. i can understand if they keep one speed breaker, but TWELVE in one go!!( yes i counted them ) that's weird.
Old 12th September 2011, 14:09   #11
Senior - BHPian

[quote=anzrulz555;2502730any idea of how to upload lics here ?? [/quote]

Its simple. In the reply window, you will find an Pin Icon (next to the smilie icon) for attaching the pics. Attach the pics and then upload them. Bear in mind the file size whould be within the prescribed limits. Hope this helps.
Old 12th September 2011, 22:51   #12
BHPian

a view on NICE road.
Attached Thumbnails
Long ride on a TVS Wego-img_9057.jpg  

Old 12th September 2011, 22:59   #13
BHPian

random clicks on the way to Mysore.
Attached Thumbnails
Long ride on a TVS Wego-img_9063.jpg