Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th September 2011, 05:19   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Thunderbird Clutch Issue

I don't know if steel wool is available in India but if it is, it would be much better to use to remove rust from chrome parts than sand paper is.

Steel wool comes in pads and looks like very fine steel hairs matted together.
In America it can be bought at hardware stores. There are also soap pads intended for cleaning kitchen sinks that consist of steel wool with soap embedded in it. SOS is one brand of these.

Steel wool is not as hard as chrome so it can be used to rub away rust without damaging the chrome plating.
The sand on sand paper on the other hand is much harder than chrome and using it to remove rust will result in removing the chrome plating as well.

Of course, neither of these should be used on a painted surface as both of them will remove paint.
Old 27th September 2011, 20:34   #17
BHPian

[quote=ArizonaJim;2509184]

You might also note that the "cable lubricant" is not a thick, highly viscous fluid. A thin oil will work just as well and it will be easier to get it to flow down thru the restrictive area between the cable and the inside of the cable sheath.

/quote]
This quote was really an eye opener. I tried three in one oil to lube the clutch cable (the one used to lubricate sewing machines) and that was a great success . There was no need to disconnect the cable from any ends as I used an iv cannula and a syringe for the purpose with the clutch lever in the grabbed position. Go for the largest iv cannula as the needle will be longer and hence flexible. My clutch cable moves like a hot knife on butter now
Attached Thumbnails
Thunderbird Clutch Issue-ce_certified_i_v_cannula.jpg  

Last edited by adrian : 27th September 2011 at 20:36.
adrian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2022, 07:46   #18
Senior - BHPian

[quote=adrian;2522340]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaJim View Post

You might also note that the "cable lubricant" is not a thick, highly viscous fluid. A thin oil will work just as well and it will be easier to get it to flow down thru the restrictive area between the cable and the inside of the cable sheath.

/quote]
This quote was really an eye opener. I tried three in one oil to lube the clutch cable (the one used to lubricate sewing machines) and that was a great success . There was no need to disconnect the cable from any ends as I used an iv cannula and a syringe for the purpose with the clutch lever in the grabbed position. Go for the largest iv cannula as the needle will be longer and hence flexible. My clutch cable moves like a hot knife on butter now
Hi Are you pushing the IV underneath the black casing of the accelerator/Clutch / choke cable and then pushing the lubricant via a syringe?

As 3in1 is very expensive, can I opt for 3M's wet sprayable grease?

https://amzn.eu/d/0f5LyQn

I want to try on my Pulsar!
Majumdarda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2022, 10:27   #19
BHPian

[quote=Majumdarda;5399018]
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian View Post

Hi Are you pushing the IV underneath the black casing of the accelerator/Clutch / choke cable and then pushing the lubricant via a syringe?
That is exactly how it is done with the clutch lever pulled all the way in. That said, I have done it only with the clutch cable and not the accelerator.

Regarding your query, I found it impossible to use gear oil (Gear HP 90) via the IV canula, a herculean task to use engine oil (15w 50) and a hard job, even with the 3 in 1 oil (you have to push the plunger hard and maintain the pressure). So I think spray-able grease won't work with this contraption.

Unlike earlier days, Cable lubing tools are available in online stores in India.

https://www.amazon.in/KiWAV-Lubecato.../dp/B009YEYL0I

I think you can use silicone spray or spray-able grease through these.

Please refer to my previous post regarding my fiasco with cable lubing

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motor...ml#post2508390 (Thunderbird Clutch Issue)

The cable lubing method as described in Bullet CI manuals

regards adrian

Last edited by adrian : 13th September 2022 at 10:37. Reason: adding video
adrian is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks