Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th October 2011, 13:10   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: CBR250R gives relief to the RX after 14.5 years: Tale of two bikes

CBR250R
Last Saturday did the First Service @750kms. I stood by the bike despite protests from the mechanic.

Switched to Honda's Synthetic 10W30 Oil. They dont have 20W40 and their workshop manual showed that 10W30 should not be an issue in and around Bangalore.

City Honda and other dealers did not have the oil filter. Got it from Silicone on RV road. They seem to be very well stocked on parts.
They also have a Indian made Paddock stand for about 3.5k, which made no sense. This is the stand used by the service centers.

RX
Lying dejected
Needs a service badly
Old 21st October 2011, 19:00   #47
Senior - BHPian

Running in!?

John-anna and Vikram-anna - do you'll always follow each others posts and needle each other?

Okay so for the first time have touched the 6000+ rpms and I cannot imagine what 10k will feel like.

I have been taking it quite easy with the bike, with no real need to open it up more.

Story so far
1-500kms- limiting to 4000rpm (+500rpm on the odd overtaking situations)
500-750kms- limiting to 5000rpm (+500rpm on the odd overtaking situations)
~~1st Service & Oil Change @ 750kms~~
750-1000kms- limiting to 7000rpm

Question - 1000-****kms? - limit to/unleash the lil' beast?

Am I taking it too easy/too rough? Is there any real science to it?
The mechanic says till 2000kms take it easy like you have been doing and let the engine "set"

Disclaimer - Please to not discuss motoman method here - I know its too late for that and am not going to get sold on that.

Last edited by IronWolf : 21st October 2011 at 19:03.
Old 21st October 2011, 19:14   #48
Senior - BHPian

Haha, I also chickened out on the Motoman method finally. Aw, comeon open up the throttle man! The engine is already set. I have started opening her up already - past 750 kms now.
Old 21st October 2011, 19:20   #49
Senior - BHPian

I will - Tomorrow Ride to Bellur Cross !

Naveen you joining us right?
Old 21st October 2011, 19:21   #50
Senior - BHPian

Daniel Sirji,
Open up occasional now, so that you touch the higher bands also. Let it play around in all the rpms. If not till 8k rpm atleast.
Old 21st October 2011, 19:29   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronWolf View Post
I will - Tomorrow Ride to Bellur Cross !

Naveen you joining us right?
Going for the Nandhi Hill ride on Sunday. Saturday mornings I am usually in a haze
Old 15th May 2012, 16:39   #52
Senior - BHPian

After a 5 month Hiatus for the RX and just using the CBR, I just could not get myself onboard the RX with its rear only braking.

The RX was serviced and Disc Brake setup added at the front.

Now with better braking there is an emotional and mental tussel almost every morning on which bike to take to work.

All those who are contemplating selling their 2T bike for a bigger 4T - do not sell your 2T screamers.
IronWolf is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th May 2012, 09:04   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
All those who are contemplating selling their 2T bike for a bigger 4T - do not sell your 2T screamers.
All who,ve had the RX at some point in our life, regret the decision of selling it later.

And none of the modern 4 strokes currently available in that cc / price / category give the adrenalin pumping acceleration of the RX
headers is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2012, 15:24   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Care to elaborate why? Other than emotional attachment with RX, what else? Just curious!
RX135 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2012, 11:47   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135 View Post
Care to elaborate why? Other than emotional attachment with RX, what else? Just curious!
RX135, Excellent question. Sorry I missed this post.
I like these Leading questions to bring out what you really wanna hear !

RX is a street fighter. You can ride it in traffic with much more comfort than the bigger 4T bikes. quick reasons below (First 3 reasons are why the Duke 200 won a <lame> OD shootout against the CBR250R and the R15)
i ) Raw low end power
ii) Flickability
iii) Requires less space in congested bumper to bumper traffic
iv) Makes a racket and clears the road ahead (no horn needed)
v) They will never make them like this every again
vi) Unrefined - makes every bone in your body rattle when you shift at the last min
vii) More rear biased braking due to weight distribution. Controlled sliding once in the while gives you a rush
viii) Find a RX/Shogun/even RD going at your pace and just ride along with them and shift at similar rpms. Musical bliss.

Disclaimer : Do not judge my riding just based on the above points.

Finally the 20-25k you get from selling your 2T bike cannot buy you anything which will give you even 1/4th the happiness. esp if you are a biker. I challenge anyone on this !

Flipside
Then again ask me to take this on a lazy saturday morning with no traffic. -Probably not.
Ask me take it on a long ride - Not
Group ride with 250cc+ bikes - Not

Group ride with other 2T bikes - Ohh Yeah !

Also this goes the same for you RE owners (not judging anyone in particular) - I like REs as well. I dont own one yet. But I cannot figure how a RE owner can shift to a 250+cc by giving up his first love.

I just cannot understand that.

Parting thoughts
Bikers are not meant to have monogamous relationships with their bikes.
Bikers are 1 women - men (or 1 man - women) but I cannot imagine having just 1-2 bikes. We just need to comprimise on other things in life.
IronWolf is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th May 2012, 15:54   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Also this goes the same for you RE owners (not judging anyone in particular) - I like REs as well. I dont own one yet. But I cannot figure how a RE owner can shift to a 250+cc by giving up his first love.

I just cannot understand that.
Just the same as you, after riding my bullet for close to 12+ years, I want a bike:
  • That will not stop suddenly in the middle of nowhere for no obvious reason
  • In which the 10 days old clutch wire will not snap when the signal turns green
  • Which will start when I have my wife and kids waiting to catch that movie in a movie hall,
  • Which will not splutter and stop bang in the middle when i am taking my friend to airport
  • Which will not suddenly blackout when its raining and there is no lights in the roads
  • Which will not give me a 5k to 20k bill every time I go for a service

Finally, a Bike in which technology works for me and not the other way around!!!

Having said all that will I sell my Bull, No BUll-ish Hell Way, it will stay with me for my life. The thump, the torque, the unpredictability, the joy, the bond stays for life time...

So the CBR will replace my bull as my real daily ride in which I can ride peacefully! But touring will still be on the Bull

Last edited by madbullram : 30th May 2012 at 15:58.
madbullram is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th May 2012, 16:11   #57
Senior - BHPian

Lol Madbull!

To add to your list above, as similar determinants for me when the time came to get a new bike:

* which does not need me to have the mechanic and the spare parts guy as part of my extended family

* which does not need me to jump through various hoops - time, money, phone calls, emails, soft bribes, entreaties, etc. - all the time while the bike is off the road - to get a simple part, any part, that magically always seems to be the one that is out of stock

P.S. Like you, Doppie (my Std 500 - 10 years this October) will stay with me for life as well - but I will increasingly use her as a recreational pleasure bike than the serious touring bike she always has been for me.

P.P.S. Like us, there are many old-time (approx. 10 years+) Bulleteers who are adding one of the newer machines to their stables. The mental aggravation of preventive maintenance in the current scenario for the old discontinued models (if one is to continue using them as the primary bike) is not worth it anymore.

Last edited by ebonho : 30th May 2012 at 16:20.
Old 31st May 2012, 09:44   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by madbullram View Post
Just the same as you, after riding my bullet for close to 12+ years, I want a bike:

So the CBR will replace my bull as my real daily ride in which I can ride peacefully! But touring will still be on the Bull
Ram, Excellent choice. I will recommend you do group rides/long tours on the CBR as well. I know you know this... but will say it - It will not dilute your love for the Bull. It will only raise your respect for the CBR250R.

Apart from my home - The RX and the CBR are the best buys of my life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
..P.P.S. Like us, there are many old-time (approx. 10 years+) Bulleteers who are adding one of the newer machines to their stables. The mental aggravation of preventive maintenance in the current scenario for the old discontinued models (if one is to continue using them as the primary bike) is not worth it anymore.
Yet we will not sell, neither can you get us to sell our Doppies or RaXkammas.
Old 31st May 2012, 10:55   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Ram, Excellent choice. I will recommend you do group rides/long tours on the CBR as well. I know you know this... but will say it - It will not dilute your love for the Bull. It will only raise your respect for the CBR250R.
Yeap, thats the idea, most probably my wife will ride the CBR and me the Bull for the tours...
Old 31st May 2012, 12:18   #60
BHPian

IronWolf: Excellent thread!
My first post on tbhp, been a lurker for a long time now. Joined tbhp while I was thinking of buying a jeep ( a plan which keeps coming up in my life and keeps getting shelved just as often ). I stay in cooke town and used to see your (now ex) jeep parked there everyday. <creepy, I know>

Not sure if you have heard an RD go by every now and then < at times during unearthly hours>, but that would be me.

Happy miles on your rides! Completely agree with your view about not selling the old first love while upgrading to newer rides.

ride safe!
Kapil

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks