Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 29th September 2011, 17:26   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: The mysterious pink powder to fix rust issue on chrome

Some after pics, sorry for the low quality pics but trust me its 20 rs well spent.

The mysterious pink powder to fix rust issue on chrome-29092011003.jpg

The mysterious pink powder to fix rust issue on chrome-29092011001.jpg

The mysterious pink powder to fix rust issue on chrome-29092011.jpg

Pramod
Old 29th September 2011, 18:50   #17
BHPian

Hi Everyone,

Was quite interesting to read this entire thread and just could not stop myself from asking these questions -

1. Now that Royal Enfield has launched its Classic 500 in the Chrome version, how long do you think this chrome plating would last on the bike with almost 80% chrome on it?

2. Any Machismo users can you please comment on the quality of Chrome that you are experiencing on your bulls?

Eagerly waiting for your reply as I'm seriously contemplating to change my booking from Classic 500 to Classic Chrome

Cheers,
Si1ver0ne
Old 13th October 2011, 10:03   #18
BHPian

I'm facing a somewhat different problem, the frame on my bike (the non-chrome bit i.e.) has started gathering rust - any suggestions on how to deal with the problem? My bigger concern is that will this compromise the structural integrity of the frame itself?

The most helpful suggestion I have received so far is: scrape away the rust using sandpaper and apply some paint on the rusted parts. The trouble is that some of the places are very hard to reach and I doubt I'll be able to paint those areas myself.
Old 13th October 2011, 11:27   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by singhsid View Post
The trouble is that some of the places are very hard to reach and I doubt I'll be able to paint those areas myself.
Probably the bike is crying for attention and desperately needs a rebuild to address these issues Singh . Give it a good shot if you feel that the bike can be used for a long run before you strip her, sand blast the chassis (please check with experts considering the fact that your chassis is rusting), paint her and get it back on roads
Old 13th October 2011, 11:32   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by singhsid View Post
The most helpful suggestion I have received so far is: scrape away the rust using sandpaper and apply some paint on the rusted parts. The trouble is that some of the places are very hard to reach and I doubt I'll be able to paint those areas myself.
Scraping the rust and repainting is the only remedy. You can use spray paint cans from Bosny or Com-Paint which are of good quality. You may also try spraying OKS or other anti rust sprays before using the sand paper.
Old 13th October 2011, 13:02   #21
BHPian

Thanks for the advice ku69rd & mohang_j. The bike is running absolutely perfectly otherwise, recently did a small tour of Himachal with the engine not missing a single beat, the only problem is this highly irritating rusting issue on some parts of the frame, crash guard, some bolts etc.
Guess sand-blasting will be too extreme an option at this point, will give the scrape & paint a try - hopefully it will do the trick
Old 13th October 2011, 14:29   #22
Senior - BHPian

Guys the pink or white powder which is nothing but the whitish paste comes out from a gas welding machine, it is also called carbide. This stuff which is in rock form used by gas welders for welding purpose, this carbide is mixed along with water to create some kind of gas which along with oxygen becomes good agent to weld things (this is a lay man's narration, don't know the chemistry terms)

Now coming to the "chamkao" concept, in my early days of biking my uncle used to ask me to get some of this used carbide waste from the local welding guy and used to dry them, later filter them with the help of flour mesh (used by mom for filtering atta) make a thin paste by mixing with water and used to apply on all chrome parts with the help of a cloth and once dried used to clean with a dry cloth, this stuff gives good shine and doesn't harm the metal (at least till now since 25 yrs of my motoring experience)

as I suggested this I would also like to bring some trivia here, there is a lot of difference in chrome today and then, the bikes which I used to clean were B.S.A, Triumph etc which used to have copper coating on them and they never rusted however used to fade but the chrome now doesn't have the copper processing (most of the chrome plating units) so rusting is prone to be high. I have used these used carbide waste on T.V.S, Hero Puch, IND Suzuki and 57 Royal Enfield in my early biking days and never had any issues.

In case you wish to do it now I don't see any reason to shy but make sure there is no sand or any other silt which might develop scratches while rubbing with dry cloth, I still use it for my Jawa, Rajdoot and 62 royal enfield (which got chrome plated at least 2 times since it was purchased in 1984) and the new entry Avenger 220.
chanu is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed