Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 29th September 2011, 16:38   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Yamaha FZ or 1993 RE bullet restoration?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drdeepudev View Post
Till this day I prefer riding pleasure over mileage.
The FZ will not let you down in this department. Specially when you lean her into the corners and you can just keep leaning and leaning and it will never give you a hint of slipping/sliding/tipping. It moves like its on rails.

Quote:
Photos will be posted tomorrow. I'll share the experience here itself as the time permits. Thank you guys.
Please do post the photos of your "Red beauty" as soon as you get it.
Old 29th September 2011, 18:02   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks abhinav. I've seen that white - red combo fz-s. Looks great. It
cost Rs 3000 more.

Shamanth, I've already decided on Fz. The RTO registration will be over by this time. Even though I'm bit scared about the mileage of Fz, I decided to take the plunge. Any way, my other option was to restore a 350 cc bullet which I can expect a mileage of 35kmpl. For me riding comfort is the top priority, which I'm believing, Fz will be good enough. So, If I get a mileage of 38kmpl, I'll be happy. Till this day I prefer riding pleasure over mileage.

Photos will be posted tomorrow. I'll share the experience here itself as the time permits. Thank you guys.
Ya great. Apart from mileage its very good bike. Handling is superb, And initial torque is very good for city traffic. And its one of the most reliable bike around. I almost don't remember spending on parts from two years.

The MRF rear tyre which comes with it is prone to puncture. You can put the tuffup solution which is found in honda bikes to minimize this. It costs around Rs 400 for a half liter. But that will give peace of mind. Earlier every month or two i had to run to fix the punture..

The cool mesh seat which comes as accessories is cool. It brings that distinct looks to bike and keeps you cool when seated and can prevent you from getting wet in after rain rides.

Also Headlight is pretty weak. You can change to Osram Night breaker or Phiplips extreme 55/60 W , direct fit and compatible.

Here are some of the pics of accessories
Attached Thumbnails
Yamaha FZ or 1993 RE bullet restoration?-23102009_001.jpg  

Yamaha FZ or 1993 RE bullet restoration?-23102009_002.jpg  

Yamaha FZ or 1993 RE bullet restoration?-23102009_003.jpg  

Old 29th September 2011, 21:36   #18
BHPian

Re: & Tuff up ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanth View Post
... You can put the tuffup solution which is found in honda bikes to minimize this. It costs around Rs 400 for a half liter. But that will give peace of mind. ...
Need some info on tuiff-up, You mean to get soln alone from Honda dealer & put it directly in tyre @0.5 ltr per tyre ?? also say you had/know of instance where this saved a flat.
Old 30th September 2011, 09:53   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rennjit View Post
Need some info on tuiff-up, You mean to get soln alone from Honda dealer & put it directly in tyre @0.5 ltr per tyre ?? also say you had/know of instance where this saved a flat.
You can get it done in any reputed tyre shops, they will have this liquid. They remove the valve and directly pour it into the tyre.

Earlier i had to fill air in rear tyre every week, it would have gone to 20 psi from 32 psi in a week. Now even after a month it remains at 28-30 psi. Lot of punctures is due to soft compound of the tyre. Few people have tried with Putting tube inside, that also dont help. Some have changed to pirelli tyre, it seems to be good one.
Old 30th September 2011, 11:11   #20
BHPian

Thanks shamanth. Will you recommend a particular brand for that solution? And what about nitrogen filling? Our own driverace is using that solution.
Old 30th September 2011, 11:27   #21
BHPian

A 1993 Enfield will actually classify as a classic bike in a few years time. IF you are up for it, I suggest you spend some time & money in restoring it (perhaps for weekend rides). Enfield stopped producing CI engined bikes in 2009 so in a few more years you'll probably be able to sell the bike for a tidy sum
Old 30th September 2011, 16:31   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by singhsid View Post
IF you are up for it, I suggest you spend some time & money in restoring it (perhaps for weekend rides).
He has already taken delivery of the FZ16 yesterday

But yes if he wants to, he can spend some cash on the '93 Bullet and restore it. He can demand a good selling price if he is ever willing to sell it!!
Old 30th September 2011, 19:06   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by singhsid View Post
A 1993 Enfield will actually classify as a classic bike in a few years time. IF you are up for it, I suggest you spend some time & money in restoring it (perhaps for weekend rides). Enfield stopped producing CI engined bikes in 2009 so in a few more years you'll probably be able to sell the bike for a tidy sum

Thank you singhsid. I'm planning to restore the bullet as and when money and time permits. As abhinav has said, I've already taken delivery of the Yamaha Fz16.
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
He has already taken delivery of the FZ16 yesterday

But yes if he wants to, he can spend some cash on the '93 Bullet and restore it. He can demand a good selling price if he is ever willing to sell it!!
Selling? Rightly said abhinav. No plans to do so. After 10 years or so, a 93 RE will have a heritage value. So no ideas of selling. Starting to do homework for the bullet restoration.

Here is a mobile cam picture of my FZ16. Rode 80km till this time.
Attached Thumbnails
Yamaha FZ or 1993 RE bullet restoration?-fz-large.jpg  

Old 30th September 2011, 19:15   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanth View Post
You can get it done in any reputed tyre shops, they will have this liquid. ...
As i guessed, you had meant commercial puncture sealants like slime/ ride-on etc where as honda stuff is entirely different & is available as tube not liquid.
Old 30th September 2011, 22:46   #25
BHPian

100 km up.

Friends, completed 100km. Regarding slime (solution for tube less tires), any particular brand you people can recommend? The showroom guys don't have it. So have to search in some tire shops. Showroom guys told me to check with some shops in cochin, which is around 60 km from my home.
Attached Thumbnails
Yamaha FZ or 1993 RE bullet restoration?-30092011011-large.jpg  

Old 2nd October 2011, 09:15   #26
BHPian

Ah, Sorry, I have been away from tbhp for some time (but, I have had some interactions with drdeepudev on phone).

Few inputs from my side:

Sealant to put in tyres-
First of all, check tire/rim sealing in first two weeks. I made sure that the tyres (F and R) do not lose more than 1/2 psi in about 10 days of time.
(that let me know, that the tyre/rim were fine as stock, wrt sealing and holding the pressure)
[judging from average pressure drop-in normal driving conditions of about 20ish km per day driving]

Then, we can use 'puncture proofing sealant'.
In my understanding it serves two purposes-

a. Obvious- seals punctures of smaller scale ( 1/4th of an inch size approx)
b. better sealing for tubeless tyres ( controls leaks due to gaps at rim/tyre upto some extent)

The brand I used was "Prevent-a-flat" - its an Australian brand, and has been here since long time ( not known much, for reasons not known to me). I guess any brand is good enough, as long as it works.
Quantity to put in both tyres may be a bit different for Fz-16 since the rear tyre is bit too big, hence some extra went into the rear tyre.
250ml F
300ml R
More details here:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ml#post2450608

My suggestion- better get it put in at the shop.

Putting Nitrogen-
I decided on that, since I was planning on the Saddlesore, otherwise, I wouldn't have. Though, I checked after like 40 days of filling N2 in tyres, and the pressure drop was just 2 psi !!

I have seen normal air drop 2 psi or more in like 15 days or so.

__

Drdeepudev,
Congratulations on the buying the beast

Put some more impressions of the bike!
How do you find the new Fz? ( I mean, since it has a different carb/ and slightly detuned torque figure)

waiting,

Ace.

Last edited by driverace : 2nd October 2011 at 09:17.

Most Viewed