Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 1st July 2010, 18:20   #16
BHPian

You mean braking? Oh yes. The others - those were never considered features until LML introduced them in their models

The LMLs couldn't beat the Chetak on acceleration - the Chetak was super on that front.
Old 31st May 2011, 14:51   #17
BHPian

Re: Bajaj Chetak is Dead- Long live the legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
slightly OT,but I'd say my Bajaj Super,which served me for five years,will forever remain my lifetime favoutite machine.The fellow returned 48-50kmpl consistently throughout.

Maintenance - 350ml gear oil every 5000 kms,two clutch cables(inner only), two gear cables(inner& outer) and air inlet bellow replaced.That is all.

Even the carb was not cleaned in 15000 kms .

and I sold the machine for just Rs.3500 lower than I had purchased.

There's no way this record can be beaten.
We too sold a 27 year old Bajaj Chetak a couple of years back, for the same price as yours. Father sold it without even asking me.
I learned riding on it. Loved it always. Had a good pick up.
Old 1st December 2011, 16:30   #18

Maybe Bajaj should give reviving their scooter-branch a short consideration.
If you have a look on the sales-performance of LML here in Europe, it probably would make sense to offer an alternative. Bajaj's 4-stroke engine can probably be fitted to match the current regulations regarding emissions.
Old 31st January 2012, 08:30   #19
BHPian

I sold my Dad's chetak 12V electronic 1997 model with a heavy heart. I didn't use the scooter for about 4 years. I had taken it to the mechanic for repairing and finally ended up selling to the mechanic himself.

I learnt riding when i was 12 years on my dad's chetak only. Lovable memories. It is a great vehicle. Its always a promising performer, easy to repair, low maintenance cost etc.

A great relief to the scooter lovers is the all new vespa which was showcased in the auto show this year. It is almost a retro design but gear less. I am waiting for the vespas on road.

Last edited by rki2007 : 31st January 2012 at 08:32.
Old 31st January 2012, 13:28   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rki2007 View Post
I learnt riding when i was 12 years on my dad's chetak only. Lovable memories. It is a great vehicle. Its always a promising performer, easy to repair, low maintenance cost etc.
It was a great performer for sure. I was camping near the Bharatpur Camps on Manali-Leh road just after Bara Lacha Pass. The Dhaba waala told me about a sardarjee who passed by the same road few days back on a chetak. Sardarjee apparently was on a scootering(cant say biking here ) trip to Ladakh on a Chetak.
Also when I went to Badrinath last year, I could few scooters with pillions on way to Hemkund Sahib. The legend lives on.

Last edited by recker_us : 31st January 2012 at 13:30. Reason: .
Old 1st February 2012, 21:50   #21
BHPian

I am a big LML fan. I still do have a 1994 model NV which is still going strong. It still has the original paint and have still not gone for an engine overhaul. It still returns a mileage of over 46-49 kmpl. The best part is the maintenance is almost zero and I spend only around 300 for engine oil change and basic servicing. Most importantly this has lot of space to carry lots of shopping bags and is my best friend to go shopping and parking it is a breeze. Heard thath Vespa is coming back with a 4 stroke scooter. Looks like we have some exciting times ahead.
Old 2nd February 2012, 09:24   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparsh View Post
I am a big LML fan. I still do have a 1994 model NV which is still going strong. It still has the original paint and have still not gone for an engine overhaul. It still returns a mileage of over 46-49 kmpl. The best part is the maintenance is almost zero and I spend only around 300 for engine oil change and basic servicing. Most importantly this has lot of space to carry lots of shopping bags and is my best friend to go shopping and parking it is a breeze. Heard thath Vespa is coming back with a 4 stroke scooter. Looks like we have some exciting times ahead.

They already have launched the 2 stroker and the 4 stroker. its been a long time now.
Old 2nd February 2012, 10:45   #23
BHPian

My First Chetak purchase on priority against Foreign Exchange dates back to 1983. I used to ride on to Punjab from New Delhi quite often. Even made a Delhi - Dehradun - Mussoorie - Paonta Sahib - Delhi trip.
Only change during long drive used to increase the gap of the Spark Plug slightly. This would save me from Phtak-Phtak on the way and occassional cleaning of the spark Plug.
After a long service of 8 years, it remained mostly idle as I was on jobs in the Gulf.
Although now I have adapted myself to Pulsar 180, I still proudly retain Chetak (though not in a very good condition) in its original paint. Its body is tough steel and bears the dent I made while hitting a Rickshaw from front. I could not remove the dent, and the Scooter never made to the body shop as I did not want to mess with the Original Paint.

I tried hands on later similar models/makes of Scooters too, but was never satisfied.

No doubt, Chetak has been the best Scooter.
Old 11th October 2015, 19:55   #24
Senior - BHPian

Amitabh and his kids admire a Bajaj ! HBD Amitji!
Attached Thumbnails
Bajaj Chetak is Dead- Long live the legend-ab.jpg  

Old 11th October 2015, 21:06   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinay kamath View Post
Amitabh and his kids admire a Bajaj ! HBD Amitji!
I think it is not a bajaj. Could be a lamby or lambretta.

Most Viewed