Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 19th October 2011, 06:53   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Honda CBR 250R vs Enfield Classic 500/350

A friend of mine has a CL500 and his crank shattered inside a year. The bike isn't even used much, yet. And this apart from usual niggles over the year. So you can get a lemon from either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilmessiah
I don't think that the CBR250 is worth the 1.6 lacs let alone the VFM tag. Not that I mind the price difference, but when it's a Honda and when you're paying this kind of dough, my expectations would be sky high.
Compared to the RE, the CBR is completely worth 1.6L.

Compared to the R15, its difficult to see why its worth 1.6L. However, one must remember that the CBR250 is built to be like a tourer and not a track bike. The quality standards are good.

Like Naveen mentioned, "the worst niggles that you can get on a Honda will be nothing compared to the niggles and heartburn that you will go through on an RE".

To summarize:
My heart says Chrome Classic
My mind and experience says CBR250R

I own a Machismo 350 since 6+ years. I love the bike for its comfort and aura. But I hate every bit of its mechanicals/electricals. I do NOT trust it as I would trust my friends 6yr old Pulsar, 6yr old CBZ and even 4yr old Activa.

I've literally seen the inners of Enfields and I must say they seem like they have been put together by someone who had no better work to do. But if you even see the inners of a CD100, they are better built.

Last edited by Gordon : 19th October 2011 at 06:57.
Gordon is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 19th October 2011, 10:19   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon View Post

I own a Machismo 350 since 6+ years. I love the bike for its comfort and aura. But I hate every bit of its mechanicals/electricals. I do NOT trust it as I would trust my friends 6yr old Pulsar, 6yr old CBZ and even 4yr old Activa.
Well, looks like evilmessiah is skewed towards getting the RE now. Go ahead, let us know how the booking experience is. How many months is the waiting period now? I guess it is around 7 months on an average here in Bangalore.

Good luck!
Old 19th October 2011, 11:46   #18
BHPian

Quote:
A friend of mine has a CL500 and his crank shattered inside a year. The bike isn't even used much, yet. And this apart from usual niggles over the year. So you can get a lemon from either.
Well- that sure brought me back to earth. I was getting biased towards the Enfield already and didn't think about both sides objectively. A busted crank? That's pretty shocking.

Quote:
Like Naveen mentioned, "the worst niggles that you can get on a Honda will be nothing compared to the niggles and heartburn that you will go through on an RE".

I've literally seen the inners of Enfields and I must say they seem like they have been put together by someone who had no better work to do. But if you even see the inners of a CD100, they are better built.
Hmm I think the CBR deserves another chance then. The best way I can think of is riding all the three bikes back to back on a holiday. I hope that'll clear my mind. OT, I should have had 'Hamlet' as my user id instead of 'evilmessiah'- I take quite a lot of time in making decisions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenroy View Post
Well, looks like evilmessiah is skewed towards getting the RE now. Go ahead, let us know how the booking experience is. How many months is the waiting period now? I guess it is around 7 months on an average here in Bangalore.

Good luck!
C3

Black and Maroon- 4-5 months
Silver- 5 months.

C5 Green- 3 months or less. Didn't ask about the Chrome or DS variants as I wasn't interested in them. Waiting periods seem to be lower here at Cochin.

I have yet to make a booking. After reading Gordon's post, I think the best thing to do would be to do one big marathon of a TD on all three bikes back-to-back. That's the only way I can realize the good and bad aspects of each one without being biased.
evilmessiah is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2011, 12:19   #19
BHPian

Mantrig, gordon and sriku have aready put it very beautifully.

I think it is more about the kind rider you are. I was in a similar dilemma few months back and I knew Enfield was my only option for the following reasons-

1. I am a very sedate rider, hence I wasn't buying the bike to ride fast/rash or hard.

2. The bike would also be used to run small errands to near by shop, govt. offices in crowded places where there is no place to park a car, dropping off/picking up mom or wifey to a nearby place. CBR wouldn't be suitable in these situations. But mind it these are the requirements of a married/family guy, your requirements might be different.

3. I think I didn't have the physique to ride a CBR, even though I would love to own and ride it anyday. To be more specific I am afraid it wouldn't fit on me if I get heavier than what I am now. I am a 5'11", 100 kg guy. I feel enfield would fit me irrespective of my weight getting lower or higher.

4. As quoted earlier by others, enfield can double up as a tourer as well as a daily commute without running the fear of over curious people ruining the bike parked at a public place. This was very important for me as one of the prime purpose of me buying a bike(as I already had a car) was to be able to comfortably go to places without worrying for a parking space which wouldn't be the case with CBR or Ninja for that matter.

If there were a 250 cc street bike available in market within 2 lakhs I would have happily bought it. Didn't wanna buy pulsar 220 dtsi because I have already owned a pulsar 180 previously and there would be no novelty factor in the riding experience. I would prefer the reliability and peace of mind of modern technology anyday compared to the unreliability of enfield but there are no reasonable options as of now.

Last edited by huntrz : 19th October 2011 at 12:21.
huntrz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th October 2011, 17:45   #20
BHPian

Both bikes are very capable bikes for short daily commutes or long highway driving. However at speeds above 90+ kmph I found CBR more in control. [breaking + riding control]. I took the bike on some rough village roads and still the bike was comfortable. I know RE will do it without a sweat.

If you have enough money buy what your heart says! simple. Forget the niggles and others things and go for your heart. You will keep smiling. Now if budget is what you have in mind anyways CBR is more expensive than RE and don't trade this off for CBR just because its more reliable. If VFM is what you are looking at: For me CBR is more value because I love it for all it is..everything in life can be better so is with CBR. RE is not value for money according to me.. But if I were you for all the things that you love about RE it is your value for money as it will give you more satisfaction for all you want as you see thru your eyes.
Old 19th October 2011, 19:22   #21
BANNED

Dude, the best thing to do in dilemma like this is to put off the bike thought for about a month. Then pick it up again later and see how you feel, believe me you will have more confidence in your decision.
Old 19th October 2011, 20:13   #22
Senior - BHPian

Hi,
You are young only once. Better to have regrets about things you have done rather than the things you have not.

Since your heart says Enfield, go with it. Maybe you'll get it out of your system in a year or two. When you can always sell it.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 19th October 2011, 20:20   #23
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

I am also in the same dilemma. But have almost made up my mind to buy the Classic350. Had been evaluating a lot of options for the past few months, CBR250R or Classic350 or Classic500 or used Ninja250R. The launch of the Classic DS and Chrome further added to the confusion. But now I have sorted out my needs and for daily riding in city plus the occasional cruising in the highways, I guess the CL350 seems to be the perfect bike. I'm not very keen on a R15 or any other bike. I have owned a Pulsar 150, Karizma and FZ-S in the past and really want a change. So for me, CL350 would be the one !!
Old 20th October 2011, 14:45   #24
BHPian

I've owned quite a few bikes over the years, most of them Enfields C.I. 350s, a C.I. 500, an RD350, Rx100 and a Karizma Zma-R. My last ride was an L.B. 500. Sold that bike to buy something faster, more agile and more fun.

Booked the ZMR, waited for it, then decided to go in for the newly launched (then) CBR 250. Booked it, got it- found it a bit "toyish!!".. Then I fell back on my S.O.P and got the Classic 500 in green..... started facing missing issues, tank leak, switch key and various other issues from day 1.. within a week bike developed major starting problems, within 15 days the Piston Rings had packed up.. In the 28th day I sold it _ after installing Irridium Spark plugs, bent silencer, side boxes- the works..(took qiute a hit, financially).. Now I've got a Ninja 250 in Black.. AM LOVING IT....

P.S- the Classic 500 in Chrome & Maroon does look pretty enticing, hmmmmm!
Old 20th October 2011, 15:03   #25

RE is unique in its own terms and C500 redefines it yet again.

IMHO I can buy a bike at any point of time. Today it might be CBR250, tomorrow a Ninj250/650 and so on. However, if I have a stable of my own, I definitely would want to have a RE and why not a C500!

My dad was a RE fan and for all you know, my son would still love an ageing RE- Classic 500 may be regarded as a Antique 500 in his time.
stallindinakara is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2011, 16:32   #26
BHPian

Hi evilmessiah, I don't own any of the bikes you're interested in. But two good friends of mine own C350s. Form what I've heard, it's not really a pain as long it's decently taken care of. No offence to other RE owners; I know all you guys/gals love your machines.

As for the head or heart dilemma, only you can decide. Though I'm more of the former type, reality does strike in with fuel costs rising every fortnight.

Gut feel says you'll go for one of the RE siblings!
Old 21st October 2011, 15:46   #27
BHPian

I own a 2005 Royal Enfield Bullet Electra and prior to that it was a 1986 Yamaha RX100. Just as how both these machines are beautiful in their own ways, I the the C5 and the C3 are equally good. Again as the person who started this thread rightly mentioned, it is quite an odd comparison to compare a Jap motor with an Indian motor. It is quite difficult to come to a conclusion.

I think it is better you follow your heart and go with what you really need than regret after a couple of years, "oh why didn't I buy that??" Again the other side is that Royal Enfields if taken good care can be really rewarding and if not you would really feel the pain in the wrong place with it. Even though the engine for the C5 and C3 is brand new it is still based on old technology to keep the charm going as far as I can find out.

Here is my conclusion, if you want a premium motorcycle (well I dont call the CBR250 a premium motorcycle) however I would call the ones that were made between 1986 and 1996 which could rev up to 19,000 RPM. Back to what I am talking about, a premium motorcycle, forgiving, handles better and so on, it is definitely the Honda no questions asked. They have a history of making beautiful motorcycles like the CB750. So go ahead if you want something that never breaks down in the middle of nowhere. Again a very forgiving motorcycle.

But, if you want to ride something unique and you really want to feel yourself how far modern motorcycles have moved on, well then the Royal Enfield. I have been using mine for the last 7 years and of course like any other Royal Enfield owner, it has broken down and when a mechanic who looks into it find out that a wire just got cut or it was just because something wasn't tight or whatever, it literally tests your patience and this time you'd be forgiving not your motorcycle.

You could buy a Honda anyday and may be use it for 10 years and sell it without any regrets. Buy a Bullet and use it for 5 years and then sell it, you will never ever forget that terrible day in your life. Can anyone explain why? That's what anything that is 350cc or 500cc that says it is made by Royal Enfield could do to you.

My friend, be good to yourself, get a Royal Enfield and enjoy your ride with a smile.
ron_9191 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2011, 16:59   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron_9191 View Post

But, if you want to ride something unique and you really want to feel yourself how far modern motorcycles have moved on, well then the Royal Enfield. I have been using mine for the last 7 years and of course like any other Royal Enfield owner, it has broken down and when a mechanic who looks into it find out that a wire just got cut or it was just because something wasn't tight or whatever, it literally tests your patience and this time you'd be forgiving not your motorcycle.
For just those words in bold - I would say don't buy an RE. No offense to ron_9191 for twisting his words around

Yeah and like he has said below that too - an RE will literally test your patience. I really might be coming off as an RE hater but have been there, done that. The RE is cool to own but is certainly not a hassle-free machine!
Old 21st October 2011, 17:22   #29
BHPian

@ naveenroy - i dont feel you've twisted my words. I admire the fact you sat and read my entire story. I like that. Well I would have suggested the Honda CBR250 but seriously a single pot 250cc for that price from Honda with all the hype is a waste of money. If you really want to taste of how something with the same displacement in its category would be like I would suggest you'd have to close your eyes and buy the baby Ninja. Unlike the "wannabe" SBK Honda 250 single pot the baby Ninja really have gone far ahead with their tried and tested parallel twin. But Honda gains an edge where Kawasaki has lost, pricing.
Old 21st October 2011, 18:02   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron_9191 View Post
@ naveenroy - i dont feel you've twisted my words. I admire the fact you sat and read my entire story. I like that. Well I would have suggested the Honda CBR250 but seriously a single pot 250cc for that price from Honda with all the hype is a waste of money. If you really want to taste of how something with the same displacement in its category would be like I would suggest you'd have to close your eyes and buy the baby Ninja. Unlike the "wannabe" SBK Honda 250 single pot the baby Ninja really have gone far ahead with their tried and tested parallel twin. But Honda gains an edge where Kawasaki has lost, pricing.
Yeah totally agree on the pricing. It is sweet! But seriously, I know that a lot of CBR 250R owners would have loved getting the Ninja 250 but for its price. I am one of them, so I know.

Most Viewed