Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 21st October 2011, 22:39   #31
Team-BHP Support

Re: Honda CBR 250R vs Enfield Classic 500/350

Okay. In my school of thought, if you have money & parking place, buy both (alternatively of course) but, I wouldn't even cast an eye on an RE or a Harley, but always dig Sports Bikes.

Prioritize as to what kind of rider you are. Cruising is your way of riding or you are happy to red-line? Ask yourself, you should get an answer.
Thanks
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2011, 07:22   #32
BHPian

My 10 day old RE CL500 chrome is giving more than 30 kmpl. No sweat as of
now.

I listened to my heart while deciding as fellow BHPian Randhawa said "
Four wheels move the body and two wheels move the soul!".
sudipta is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2011, 07:36   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudipta
now.

What a quote. Makes me want to back to biking all over.
Old 23rd October 2011, 06:41   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanth View Post
I have the same problem. I used RE in my recent goa trip and felt so comfortable and heavenly while riding. Came back and booked RE Chrome 500, but have 5 months waiting period it seems. Excellent sales team, showed all bikes, explained it and gave test drives. For me mileage wont be problem since my FZ-s gives pretty low mileage as well.

Had been to honda showroom, sales guys are dis interested in selling CBR 250/- they tell to sit and no one comes to enquire, just walked off. I had called another showroom, they told me to come for test drive, have to check it out.
Hi shamanth!even me planing to buy a classic 500, where did you book the bike?in Bangalore?i am interested in the chrome too but want to first see it in the flesh and then decide otherwise the red classic 500 it is. Is the waiting period same for both the classic and the chrome same too??
Old 23rd October 2011, 12:39   #35
BANNED

You book any CL500 in karnataka, you get on a waiting list 6-8 months long. I have booked in Jul and have totally forgotten about it because they said don't worry until 2012. This waiting period is kind of a boon because it gives you time to think over and even cancel if you find something else of interest.
Old 23rd October 2011, 13:52   #36
Senior - BHPian

I assume from your post that you are a a first timer with motorcycles or you havent driven them extensively for a long time.

I would suggest against the C5 since it is a much more powerful motorcycle and expensive compared to the C3.

About the CBR250, I don't see the extra benefit in favour of CBR250 compared to the ApacheRTR180ABS and Pulsar220 apart from the tech wizardry. Kawasaki Ninja250 belongs to a different ball park. Even a Karizma R will make sense for you if you want to stick to the Honda reliability.

So based on your choices I would suggest the C3 or look at ApacheRTR180ABS/ P220F/ KarizmaR (or ZMR if you want a fully faired bike.)

Last edited by devarshi84 : 23rd October 2011 at 13:53.
devarshi84 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2011, 20:17   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mh09ad5578 View Post
Hi shamanth!even me planing to buy a classic 500, where did you book the bike?in Bangalore?i am interested in the chrome too but want to first see it in the flesh and then decide otherwise the red classic 500 it is. Is the waiting period same for both the classic and the chrome same too??
They told, chrome models will take 5-6 months, other classic models around 6-8 months. I normally like black bikes, but for chrome i did not find Black attractive, Maroon looked much better.
Old 23rd October 2011, 21:21   #38
BHPian

You are making the wrong comparison my friend. If you want an Enfield, go buy it, it is unreliable, noisy, IMO fun to borrow and ride once in six months, rather than a daily use bike. But if you are having second thoughts on the RE, dont even look at it. Get a CBR, peace of mind, good power, handling, reliable, a perfect city bike. And to someone who compared CBR250 to apache, seriously ? You get a little less performance than a Ninja, at roughly half the price, and it is not VFM ?
cruiser@0523 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2011, 21:29   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser@0523 View Post
You are making the wrong comparison my friend. If you want an Enfield, go buy it, it is unreliable, noisy, IMO fun to borrow and ride once in six months, rather than a daily use bike. But if you are having second thoughts on the RE, dont even look at it. Get a CBR, peace of mind, good power, handling, reliable, a perfect city bike. And to someone who compared CBR250 to apache, seriously ? You get a little less performance than a Ninja, at roughly half the price, and it is not VFM ?
Well said!! I don't understand how some arguments for or against something really crop up but this one against the CBR by the previous poster was not quite right! Apache?
Old 23rd October 2011, 22:44   #40
BHPian

My plans for the three bike marathon test ride was foiled yet again this weekend due to a sprained leg, eye infection and with a mildly irritating sore throat as a bonus. Got to do it next week for sure.

I'd seen a couple of Desert Storms parked up for delivery outside the RE showroom last week. Had the opportunity to inspect them and was a bit disappointed- they look nothing like they do in the pictures.
The fuel tank in one of them was already stained and had hairline scratches from the rider's pants. Seems the matt finish (it doesn't seem to have a protective clear coat- just the paint- like a primer of sorts) isn't doing it any favors.
On the plus side, they seemed finished a wee bit better in some areas than the earlier Classics- like the fuel tank for instance. Anyways, these are my personal observations and as always, tastes differ.

I'd been wondering why do the newer C3-s come with the ancient 19" ribbed front tire? When it was newly launched it had a different tire which looked much better. Are there any aftermarket options for this 19'' front tire? Also, is it a good idea to put in slightly fatter tires all around?
Old 23rd October 2011, 23:15   #41
BHPian

CBR 250R is definitely not comparable to any of the bikes like Apache or ZMR. Its definitely comparable to Ninja 250R because of below figures(source- AutoCar).

*Ninja 250R to be faster to 60kph, taking 3.04 seconds, the CBR250R is hot on its heels at 3.39sec.

*The single-cylinder Honda developing 2.3kgm at a lower 7000rpm, while the Kawasaki musters 2.24kgm at a slightly less friendly 8200rpm

*Top speeds – a genuine 144kph on the CBR, and 152kph for the Ninja.
Old 23rd October 2011, 23:33   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntrz View Post

I think I didn't have the physique to ride a CBR, even though I would love to own and ride it anyday. To be more specific I am afraid it wouldn't fit on me if I get heavier than what I am now. I am a 5'11", 100 kg guy. I feel enfield would fit me irrespective of my weight getting lower or higher.
I'm a 6 footer and weigh about the same. I didn't feel that the CBR didn't fit me. The main killjoy was the tiny shifter- it's too small for my size 10 foot. That fairing gives it more volume- not as much as a Ninja 250 though. However, I like the Classic's relaxed posture a lot better. The R15's too small though and that's the main reason why it's off my cards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaks View Post
Dude, the best thing to do in dilemma like this is to put off the bike thought for about a month. Then pick it up again later and see how you feel, believe me you will have more confidence in your decision.
Judging by how things are shaping up, I think that's exactly what's going to happen. Exams are coming up and I would soon be taking a long leave and be swotting hard. I might have the time to pursue this only in January if the current pressures and busy schedule keeps up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Hi,
You are young only once. Better to have regrets about things you have done rather than the things you have not.

Since your heart says Enfield, go with it. Maybe you'll get it out of your system in a year or two. When you can always sell it.

Regards
Sutripta
Thanks dude. Your post made me think a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by //M View Post
I am also in the same dilemma. But have almost made up my mind to buy the Classic350. Had been evaluating a lot of options for the past few months, CBR250R or Classic350 or Classic500 or used Ninja250R. ...!
Were you able to find a used Ninja 250? After all these years of its launch, I haven't came across a single one put up for sale- not in the papers nor in the T-Bhp classifieds. How much do you reckon a used one would cost?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puffdamgcdragon View Post
I've owned quite a few bikes over the years, most of them Enfields C.I. 350s, a C.I. 500, an RD350, Rx100 and a Karizma Zma-R. My last ride was an L.B. 500. Sold that bike to buy something faster, more agile and more fun.

Booked the ZMR, waited for it, then decided to go in for the newly launched (then) CBR 250. Booked it, got it- found it a bit "toyish!!".. Then I fell back on my S.O.P and got the Classic 500 in green..... started facing missing issues, tank leak, switch key and various other issues from day 1.. within a week bike developed major starting problems, within 15 days the Piston Rings had packed up.. In the 28th day I sold it _ after installing Irridium Spark plugs, bent silencer, side boxes- the works..(took qiute a hit, financially).. Now I've got a Ninja 250 in Black.. AM LOVING IT....

P.S- the Classic 500 in Chrome & Maroon does look pretty enticing, hmmmmm!
I recall seeing your posts in the C5 thread. I'm sorry that the C5 you got gave you a lot of issues- I would be devastated if I were you. I just hope that the C3 that I'd be getting won't act up much.

Congrats on the black beastie. I'm sure that it would make you smile for many miles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tejus.s View Post
Hi evilmessiah, I don't own any of the bikes you're interested in. But two good friends of mine own C350s. Form what I've heard, it's not really a pain as long it's decently taken care of. No offence to other RE owners; I know all you guys/gals love your machines.

As for the head or heart dilemma, only you can decide. Though I'm more of the former type, reality does strike in with fuel costs rising every fortnight.

Gut feel says you'll go for one of the RE siblings!
That's what I've been thinking too. My only concern is what would happen if I forget to look after it for a while. Anyways, seeing how things stand, I'll be going for a C3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron_9191 View Post

I think it is better you follow your heart and go with what you really need than regret after a couple of years, "oh why didn't I buy that??" Again the other side is that Royal Enfields if taken good care can be really rewarding and if not you would really feel the pain in the wrong place with it. Even though the engine for the C5 and C3 is brand new it is still based on old technology to keep the charm going as far as I can find out.
I like them old long stroke pushrods Wish I'll be able to take care of it properly. I'm not really familiar with Enfield innards. Infact, everything I know about them is from the C3 & C5 ownership threads.

Quote:
Here is my conclusion, if you want a premium motorcycle (well I dont call the CBR250 a premium motorcycle) however I would call the ones that were made between 1986 and 1996 which could rev up to 19,000 RPM. ....
I do remember the old CBR250 I'd seen while I was visiting Malaysia. It was a parallel twin like the current Ninja 250, right? Doesn't sound like today's Ninja 250 though- I've heard the old CBR250 being revved up and it sent shivers up my spine. Not quite practical today though. Firstly, it'd be a pain to find one in Kerala and secondly the spare parts would be hard to find here too.

Quote:
You could buy a Honda anyday and may be use it for 10 years and sell it without any regrets. Buy a Bullet and use it for 5 years and then sell it, you will never ever forget that terrible day in your life. Can anyone explain why? That's what anything that is 350cc or 500cc that says it is made by Royal Enfield could do to you.

My friend, be good to yourself, get a Royal Enfield and enjoy your ride with a smile.
My old friend sold his maroon C5 for a silver CBR250R. I did my best to dissuade him but it was of no avail. The main reason for him selling it was because it vibrated a lot at speeds in excess of 100 kmph. I quote him: "I'll return to the RE family when they grow up and be mature in the quality department. Till then, I'll be in the Honda family."

He booked and bought the CBR without even test riding it- again against my pleas. He seemed to be happy with his purchase initially. After a week, I found him crying while looking at the photos of his old C5 on his facebook albums. I was shocked to see this muscle bound dude crying like a little girl.
He looked up all teary eyed and said: 'I miss my baby. Wonder how the new owner's treating my little baby..'

I don't know whether he got over it as I lost touch with him for a lot of months. Sure, he's still riding the CBR but there aren't much pictures of the same on his profile. Maybe he's not so passionate about it now? Or is it because he's too busy riding hard to stop and take snaps?
evilmessiah is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2011, 00:17   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Okay. In my school of thought, if you have money & parking place, buy both (alternatively of course) but, I wouldn't even cast an eye on an RE or a Harley, but always dig Sports Bikes.

Prioritize as to what kind of rider you are. Cruising is your way of riding or you are happy to red-line? Ask yourself, you should get an answer.
Thanks
Wish I had the money and parking space to buy both. But I like to ride sedately and Enfield's the only option in this price range. I love Harleys- if I had the dough and a dealer in Kerala, I'd be buying an Iron 883. Well, at least I can dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by sudipta View Post
now.

Congrats on your purchase! That's seems to be a pretty good gas mileage you're getting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84 View Post
I assume from your post that you are a a first timer with motorcycles or you havent driven them extensively for a long time.

I would suggest against the C5 since it is a much more powerful motorcycle and expensive compared to the C3.
It's true- I'm a biking newbie. I'm not too confident that I can handle the C5- it is a complete beast!

Quote:
About the CBR250, I don't see the extra benefit in favour of CBR250 compared to the ApacheRTR180ABS and Pulsar220 apart from the tech wizardry. Kawasaki Ninja250 belongs to a different ball park. Even a Karizma R will make sense for you if you want to stick to the Honda reliability.

So based on your choices I would suggest the C3 or look at ApacheRTR180ABS/ P220F/ KarizmaR (or ZMR if you want a fully faired bike.)
You're comparing the CBR250 with the Apache and the P220? The sole reason I considered the Ceeber was that it was felt bigger than the commuter class sized Apache and the common as flu P220. The only similarity among them I can find is that they all sound so similar (the buzzing sound like a shaver- no offense) and nothing else. Since I haven't ridden the P220 nor the Apache I am not commenting any further.

However, I do find it quite similar to the Karizma. Sure, the CBR might perform similarly to a Ninja 250 on paper, but it in reality, it doesn't feel too different from a Karizma (maybe quicker, better shocks and bigger tires and not to mention, a lot more tech). The main grouse I have against the Karizma is that it feels too old (like a decade old?). I was never a fan of its looks even when it was newly launched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanth View Post
CBR 250R is definitely not comparable to any of the bikes like Apache or ZMR. Its definitely comparable to Ninja 250R because of below figures(source- AutoCar).

*Ninja 250R to be faster to 60kph, taking 3.04 seconds, the CBR250R is hot on its heels at 3.39sec.

*The single-cylinder Honda developing 2.3kgm at a lower 7000rpm, while the Kawasaki musters 2.24kgm at a slightly less friendly 8200rpm

*Top speeds – a genuine 144kph on the CBR, and 152kph for the Ninja.
The differences in numbers weren't much, but I felt that the Ninja was a lot more faster. I do have to mention that I was a pillion rider aboard the Ninja and I guess that while being a pillion rider the bike feels faster to you.

My brother was riding pillion with me while I was test riding the CBR the last time and I recall him telling me to slow down. Only when I looked at the speedo did I realize that I was indeed going a bit too fast. Must be the windscreen that masks the speed. And maybe that's the reason I felt that it didn't feel any quicker than the Karizma and others. Eureka?
evilmessiah is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2011, 11:15   #44
Senior - BHPian

My 100cc Adreno felt bigger to drive than my p180 as per what you say. The engine note, the dimensions, handling confidence and the relaxed gearing helped to an extent. I have heard this from many of my friends too.

I would advise you to drive the P220 ApacheRTR and Karizma before you decide to finalize on the CBR250. For that marginal 8-10Kmph more top speed for bragging rights you will be paying twice the price of these bikes. Why not buy a P220 and Apache each instead? A newer more powerful Pulsar is to be launched in December if you can wait.

With the C3 (or its variants) there is no choice but Avenger 220. The Avenger is stylish but lacks the ownership emotions that an enfield comes with. But for a new bike owner, I don't see a downside. (not that I am suggesting against the C3).
Old 24th October 2011, 11:22   #45
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
My 100cc Adreno felt bigger to drive than my p180 as per what you say. The engine note, the dimensions, handling confidence and the relaxed gearing helped to an extent. I have heard this from many of my friends too.

I would advise you to drive the P220 ApacheRTR and Karizma before you decide to finalize on the CBR250. For that marginal 8-10Kmph more top speed for bragging rights you will be paying twice the price of these bikes. Why not buy a P220 and Apache each instead? A newer more powerful Pulsar is to be launched in December if you can wait.
A Ninja 650R costs 5L and does 200+kmph. Why pay 14L for a Hayabusa which does 300kmph?

Most Viewed