Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 25th November 2011, 16:02   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: Honda CBR 250R vs Enfield Classic 500/350

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
I am considering retiring my Suzuki Fiero and searching for suitable su
After that I went to Planet Honda to test ride Honda CBR 250R ABS. I got the test ride bike after waiting for more than half-hour. The test ride bike was with a broken clutch-lever and without rear-view mirrors. When asked about the missing essential items, the person who accompanied me, replied that spares were not available! But, here also, I enjoyed the maximum speed that I could go in the busy traffic and awesome brakes. When I asked that person whether the cowl was to be removed for checking the coolant level in the radiator, he suggested me to go their exclusive service centre at 8th main, Basaveswara Nagar, who would help me in the matter!

There's some issue with the battery of my one year old Twister and hence they have to send the battery to HQ to sort it! So have to run without battery for a month ( no self start or horn!).
jkdas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2011, 16:53   #62
Senior - BHPian

Honda sales seems to be too cold, am not sure how after sales would be. in this regard they may be on par with RE.

my CS500 is due next month, mostly it would be 3rd RS entering my garage...hehe

Quote:
I am considering retiring my Suzuki Fiero and searching for suitable successor.

I like both RE DS and Honda CBR 250R ABS. Already I had test rides of RE Electra, DS and Honda CBR 250R ABS.

In the short test ride of DS I had yesterday in the busy afternoon traffic, I was taken aback by its power. The braking was superb. I had some difficulty in finding the neutral. I sourly missed the neutral-finder lever at RHS in the Bullets of yesteryear. The waiting period at HSR Agencies was 4 - 6 months. The test ride bike was nice and well-maintained.

After that I went to Planet Honda to test ride Honda CBR 250R ABS. I got the test ride bike after waiting for more than half-hour. The test ride bike was with a broken clutch-lever and without rear-view mirrors. When asked about the missing essential items, the person who accompanied me, replied that spares were not available! But, here also, I enjoyed the maximum speed that I could go in the busy traffic and awesome brakes. When I asked that person whether the cowl was to be removed for checking the coolant level in the radiator, he suggested me to go their exclusive service centre at 8th main, Basaveswara Nagar, who would help me in the matter!

Although I liked both the bikes, I was not comfortable with the crouching riding posture of Honda CBR 250R ABS, which might tilt the balance in favour of RE DS.
lohithrao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2011, 16:59   #63
J.Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
Honda sales seems to be too cold
Yes. I was told Ceebers in all the three colours are readily available contrary to 4 - 6 months' waiting for DS and for C500 Black, 8 months!

Old 25th November 2011, 19:09   #64
Senior - BHPian

Hi all,

Last week, I had the opportunity of riding a factory fresh Desert Storm all the way from Mumbai to Goa on the gorgeous NH17 for the RiderMania '11. The super torquey UCE500 engine is a gem although very vibey at 100-110 Kph. I got the bull at 61 kms on the odo and by 65 Km, I was doing 110-120 in a ride-it-like-you-stole-it mode. Blazes off to 100 in no time and after that, progress gets slower. While it felt very vibey initially, the bike slowly started feeling smoother at high speeds as the kms ticked on. So, if you're going to run it in nice and easy, things can get a lot smoother, especially if you go full synth I guess. I returned the bike at around 970 Kms on the odo after four days of living with it. The point I'm making is such antics on the older engines would have resulted in loose tappets and cam backlash, etc. On the quite new UCE engine though, abuse tolerance is something that is quite high. Gearbox felt notchy(Bullet-like) and needed very positive shifting. Refinement levels not at par for a 500cc engine but since it is a long stroke thumper not meant for redlining, that could be forgiven. Coming to the more important bits, no wobbling or fishtailing at speeds of over 100. I managed a speedo indicated 135ish and the Desert Storm felt as rock steady as ever. Same goes with the Classic Chrome. Handles as sweetly as ever on long sweepers and the zappers do a good job in most places except the dirt. Fit and finish simply not up to the mark for the money you pay for. Two key differences on the new UCE500s I hear are, no offset on the front forks and better quality swingarm bushes. Also, there was no jerking and throttle response was very crisp. The RE Classics in stock form are not too comfortable for long distance touring. Better city bikes they are. Heck, my Pulsar 220S feels much more comfortable, especially on the back and shoulders on big mile munchers. So, folks buying the Classic with illusions of it being a touring package might want to get springless seats and a different handle bar which makes life more comfier. Oh, and the rear brakes are best used as parking brakes or to tighten cornering lines. Useless for stopping. I had to hammer down the cogs to stop in time. A good thing is a good friend I know is just putting together a nice double piston rear disc for the Classics. You really need that one. Even as I'm putting my LB500 on the block and getting very tempted to buy the Desert Storm now although I know it is still a high maintenance machine. Again, heart vs head issue. If you're a romantic, the Classic 500 is for you. Just penned down my thoughts for Bhpians who might be considering the UCE500s.

Cheers,

Jay
JayPrashanth is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2011, 04:22   #65
Distinguished - BHPian

Although I enjoy tinkering with my 2011 G5 Deluxe I don't know that I would say it is a high maintenance motorcycle.

I admit that I have only owned it for 6 months and it now has only has a little over 2,700 miles (4,300 km) on it but in that period of time the only maintenance things I have had to do is to replace the Bosch spark plug at 200 km to fix a misfire. I used a NGK BPR6ES spark plug which after 3,200 km still looks like it was new.
I lubricate the chain every 500 km and have done several oil changes along with the oil filter.
I had to replace 4 small light bulbs, and fix one turn indicator light because its ground wire came loose.
I adjusted the chain once and lubricated the clutch cable once.

Other than these items the only thing I have had to do is to wax the bike and put petrol in it.

IMO, it's nice to have a traditional motorcycle that is this reliable. Much better than the newer style bikes that take longer to just remove the many plastic panels to see the engine than it does to change a sparkplug or the oil on the Royal Enfield.
Old 26th November 2011, 11:07   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaJim View Post
Although I enjoy tinkering with my 2011 G5 Deluxe I don't know that I would say it is a high maintenance motorcycle.

I admit that I have only owned it for 6 months and it now has only has a little over 2,700 miles (4,300 km) on it but in that period of time the only maintenance things I have had to do is to replace the Bosch spark plug at 200 km to fix a misfire. I used a NGK BPR6ES spark plug which after 3,200 km still looks like it was new.
I lubricate the chain every 500 km and have done several oil changes along with the oil filter.
I had to replace 4 small light bulbs, and fix one turn indicator light because its ground wire came loose.
I adjusted the chain once and lubricated the clutch cable once.

Other than these items the only thing I have had to do is to wax the bike and put petrol in it.

IMO, it's nice to have a traditional motorcycle that is this reliable. Much better than the newer style bikes that take longer to just remove the many plastic panels to see the engine than it does to change a sparkplug or the oil on the Royal Enfield.
Great to hear that you're having a great time with your Bullet Jim, although I'd suspect that it has to do with a good PDI done at the dealer's end in America. In India though, the quality levels are still suspect, with the UCEs generally not being as niggle free as the Indo-Japs.

Cheers,

Jay
Old 27th November 2011, 13:45   #67
BANNED

Test rode the CBR250r yesterday while on a errand. The Bike looks good and feels good too. I got only a small test ride but I found the brakes and the throttle response good from 2nd gear. No jerks or misfires, just builds up the acceleration quickly and was able to hit 90 in a short distance of 150m. The cornering is really good for a machine of that size though, probably aided by those big tyres. The seating position could be a little uncomfortable on log rides because of the leaning stance.
The surprise is that they are available within a week and if paid in full in less than 3 days.

It's a fast and efficient machine and tremendous VFM and belts out 25bhp which is a tad less than CL500. But the pleasure of riding a motorcycle surely belongs to the CL500.

If Honda can give a 250R with such high profile materials (of course except some sections if so so plastic) for 1.6L (non-abs) on road, I feel RE charging 1.55L for their bike is pure rip off in terms of value. They are just making money because of their monopoly.
Old 27th November 2011, 17:54   #68
J.Ravi

Quote:
I had test rides of RE Electra, DS and Honda CBR 250R ABS.
Yesterday, my son booked a RE Desert Storm at HSR Enterprises, Rajajinagar, by paying an advance of Rs 1,000 with a waiting period of 4 - 6 months.

Old 2nd March 2012, 00:08   #69
BHPian

I just killed the Hamlet in me and went ahead with what my heart had whispered to me for three years- I booked for a black C3! Paid Rs. 1000 for booking advance and the waiting period is 8 months. However, they promised me that they would advance it and deliver it in 6 months. Oh well...
Old 24th June 2012, 20:10   #70
BHPian

The RE dealers in Cochin had said that I would be getting my C3 by the end of this month. However, when I had called them up last week, they had postponed it to the last date of next month. Well, I'm postponing my purchase of a RE bike by a few more years as I've decided to do myself a favor and get a CBR instead.

I'm not getting any younger and I'll buy a bike from RE after they've grown up and gotten more serious about quality. I'm going to book a black CBR tomorrow and cancel my booking for the C3. At least I'll be getting the CBR two days after I've booked it. The 5 year warranty (2+3yrs extended) warranty is a big relief for me.
Old 24th June 2012, 22:32   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilmessiah View Post
I'm not getting any younger and I'll buy a bike from RE after they've grown up and gotten more serious about quality. I'm going to book a black CBR tomorrow and cancel my booking for the C3. At least I'll be getting the CBR two days after I've booked it. The 5 year warranty (2+3yrs extended) warranty is a big relief for me.
not a bad decision! CBR250R is an awesome ride! you can check out the duke too! do read all the CBR250R threads to learn more about riding and maintaining the bike! one pointer-make sure that the radiator of your CBR250R is not cleaned using a jet of high speed water. it will bend the fins and get a radiator guard too.
iron.head is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2012, 03:14   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron.head

not a bad decision! CBR250R is an awesome ride! you can check out the duke too! do read all the CBR250R threads to learn more about riding and maintaining the bike! one pointer-make sure that the radiator of your CBR250R is not cleaned using a jet of high speed water. it will bend the fins and get a radiator guard too.
Thank you ironhead. I hope that you have recovered from that injury due to cleaning the chain.
I had already been keeping an eye on the CBR ownership threads but I have been re-reading them today.
The Honda showroom I had visited had only one CBR250 in black color. They had said that the new 250-s are coming only in the tricolor scheme (I find this a bit hard to believe) which I do not like as it's a bit too flashy for my tastes.

So, I was wondering whether the black Ceeber they have in stock is from an older batch. They had said that it was made in 2012. They didn't know the month of manufacture. I guess I'll have to take a look at the VIN.
Which month would be the latest one?

Yes, I am concerned about the radiator guard. There isn't any on the bike. Where would I get to purchase one online?
Old 12th April 2013, 00:15   #73
BHPian

Nice thread and had time today to explore .
This question in this thread has been in my mind for quiet a long time . I am in need of a bike and have to get one soon .
My biking history ... Learned riding on cd100ss . I was using a cbz the first model for about 8 years before I upgraded to car .

I had shortlisted Tbts 350/classic 350. I was almost finalized to book one, but after reading extensively about Enfield machines on various threads , I would prefer to stay away because of the primary reasons that I don't want to visit the service centres all the time for issues.

Now I am seriously considering the new pulsar 200 ns . I know that it's no where in terms of performance when compared with Enfield but still that seems to be am average performer and well within budget .

My usage is basically city driving for office to and fro for about 30 kms daily and no touring .

People your comments please on this .

Last edited by rki2007 : 12th April 2013 at 00:18.
Old 12th April 2013, 03:42   #74
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rki2007 View Post
Nice thread and had time today to explore .
This question in this thread has been in my mind for quiet a long time . I am in need of a bike and have to get one soon .
My biking history ... Learned riding on cd100ss . I was using a cbz the first model for about 8 years before I upgraded to car .

I had shortlisted Tbts 350/classic 350. I was almost finalized to book one, but after reading extensively about Enfield machines on various threads , I would prefer to stay away because of the primary reasons that I don't want to visit the service centres all the time for issues.

Now I am seriously considering the new pulsar 200 ns . I know that it's no where in terms of performance when compared with Enfield but still that seems to be am average performer and well within budget .

People your comments please on this .
An RE & a Pulsar 200 NS are two very different kinds of bikes, made for different purposes and audiences.

I do not agree at all that the Pulsar 200 NS is nowhere in terms of performance when compared with an RE. I'm not sure if someone gave you a bad review of the bike or something, but it shares the same heart as my bike (Except Lower Tuned), which is a KTM Duke 200, and you can believe me when I say the bike's performance is brilliant.

RE bikes are more enjoyable on long rides and touring, but not so much in city traffic, due to their bulk, weight and engine tuning.

The Pulsar 200 NS is a light built and peppy bike, much better suited to city traffic conditions, and the performance is not disappointing on the open road either.

I would recommend a test ride of both bikes to figure out which one you think will suit your requirement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rki2007 View Post
My usage is basically city driving for office to and fro for about 30 kms daily and no touring .
If your usage is primarily city driving, and you have no interest in touring, also being the fact that you will be riding 30 Kms a day in our traffic conditions, my recommendation would definitely be the Pulsar 200 NS.

All the best with buying your next steed!

Cheers
Joxster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2016, 19:43   #75
Senior - BHPian

Reviving an old thread to pen my thoughts. I wanted to post in a common thread and not pour water over someone's enthusiasm in any review / ownership thread, and be misconstrued as flaming.

I have been visiting an Enfield showroom - Legend Motors - in my area a few times, wanting to test ride a classic 350. Showroom is classy and bikes are beautifully displayed. Very courteous staff. They did not have a 350 for TD, but gave me a TB 350, TB 500 and a CL 500 (test ride bikes all of them) which I rode @ one bike every week - I did not want back to back test rides.

The TBs really look GREAT. Sculpted and modern. But the TD assured me they were not my cup of tea. I did not at all feel comfortable with the seating and handlebar geometry. The CL 500 was more comfy and practical. Looks good, in a time warp kind of way! Seating is good and wide enough for the butt (I hopped on to it straight from my Splendor!), but I am not sure for how long. If we spend a couple of hours on the saddle, it may not be as comfortable as a single seat.

The price is Rs 1.85 lakhs for the 500 and Rs 1.45 lakhs for the 350, with a waiting period of about three months. The CL 500 pulled like a tractor, but I would not call it smooth by any means. And not just because of me being used to the Indo-Japs. It was a short TD - up to the MEPZ traffic signal from the showroom, U turn and ride up to the Hot Chips traffic signal near MIT bridge, another U turn and back to the showroom. I was conscious of the bike's weight and restricted myself to about 70 KPH on the straight stretches. Took VERY careful U turns.

I understand from guys it feels most comfortable to cruise around 80 for the 350, and may be a little more for the 500. But any competent 150cc will do it with ease - be it the Unicorn or the GS 150R. Mind you, I am not one who is going to burn the rubber, never did even when I was a lot younger! But I should know there is a lot more in reserve and I CAN use it IF I want, if I am going to pay almost double the amount over these two for the CL 350. I just don't get the point - as to what the RE can do which the other two can not. Hell, even the Splendor can cruise at 70 for hours, though we will get piles sitting on it!

I can come only to one conclusion. The REs sell purely on perceived aspirational value as a lifestyle product, nothing more. The CBR 250R is a lot more VFM any day, but I am yet to get a TD from Lodha Honda on it, though they promised to call me when a TD bike was ready, almost five months back. I am still waiting for their call!

Last edited by Gansan : 14th February 2016 at 20:10. Reason: Spelling correction.

Most Viewed