Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th October 2011, 05:16   #1
BHPian

Army disposal Enfield Bullet

i'm interested in restoring an Army spec Royal Enfield Bullet. Can anyone help me in finding one as i'm in a desperate need. The way Mayapuri is famous for army disposal jeeps, is there any such place for army disposal bullets in NCR where I can get them??? please help
Old 18th October 2011, 10:06   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Army disposal bullet

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek24x View Post
i'm interested in restoring an Army spec Royal Enfield Bullet. Can anyone help me in finding one as i'm in a desperate need. The way Mayapuri is famous for army disposal jeeps, is there any such place for army disposal bullets in NCR where I can get them??? please help
There are few available here in Hyderabad however not sure about the price ? I don't see any difference between a Army disposed Bullet and a civilian Bullet, yes people used to prefer army disposals because they used to come cheap (esp those days lots used to come with G2 engine, Made in England side stands and other stuffs etc) then they were worth restoring in regards to cost and quality but, now army and civilian are the same in terms of price and performance after restoration. Now it is the cost involved is to be considered as Bullet is the same in army and civilian stock.
Old 18th October 2011, 10:46   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek24x View Post
There must be some available in mayapuri,BUT IMO they're not reliable as last year my uncle pickled up one from there and it worked fine only couple of days after that it started giving hiccups and now it is lying in their scrapyard.
Old 18th October 2011, 10:55   #4
BHPian

As has been the case , the Army disposals now a days are not of that quality . Most of the are ripped off to all possible parts , as spares and the faulty ones fitted . Having experienced it first hand and having some friends who happen to be in Army , I would not suggest opting for one . Moreover these would be available in lots if you directly buy them from auctions . Another problem is getting them registered in RTO's.

Buying from dealers likes of Mayapuri , is as good as buying a civilian vehicle .
IMHO , shed a few bucks more and go for a Civilian bullet , saves you effort / energy and provides peace of mind .
Old 18th October 2011, 11:21   #5
BHPian

Go to Karol Bagh (Delhi, NCR) Two wheeler Auto market. You will find many auto dealers which restore Army disposal Bullets.
Old 18th October 2011, 11:41   #6
BHPian

Why keen only on restoring army bullets?
Apart from the cosmetics (which can be easily recreated), its nothing different from the civilian ones. Moreover, you don't get any G2s or the old ones through the army disposals these days, if you are looking for those.
Better buy a civilian one from the owner directly and then do it up as you wish. Ludhiana itself is a Bullet town. Karol Bagh isn't the best place to buy one.

Last edited by jeeva : 18th October 2011 at 11:47.
jeeva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th October 2011, 11:52   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeva View Post
Why keen only on restoring army bullets?
Moreover, you don't get any G2s or the old ones through the army disposals these days, if you are looking for those.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chanu View Post
I don't see any difference between a Army disposed Bullet and a civilian Bullet, yes people used to prefer army disposals because they used to come cheap (esp those days lots used to come with G2 engine, Made in England side stands and other stuffs etc) .
So what exactly is the G2 engine?
regards
Old 18th October 2011, 11:54   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

My brother bough an Airforce disposal unit about 16 years back.
They had redone the whole bike with replacement OE parts for anything that was even slightly faulty.
also changed the tank and other bits to reflect chromed goodness of the machismo, i believe, of the time.
Its still going good.
Ridden in delhi till about 05, now employed by a cousin in lucknow.
Except for regular service, and a snapped clutch cable, nothing demanded.

But again, this is 15 years ago, so QC might have slipped some.
Why not post a wanted somewhere?
Old 18th October 2011, 15:03   #9
Senior - BHPian

As Jeeva and Jealousdiamond said, there's no technical difference between current army-disposal bullets and their civilian counterparts. If its only the lineage that interests you, come down to Panagarh in West Bengal. There's a Sardar who sells army discard bullets in the range of 20K, always has 3-4 in stock.
Old 18th October 2011, 15:38   #10
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Army disposal Enfield Bullet

Restoration of an Army Bullet : Linky. You might want to check this thread out.
Old 18th October 2011, 17:35   #11
BHPian

@ jeeva, predatorwheelz,

you mean only difference is the paint color? But i've seen bikes of ~'09 disposal lot having different clutch outer casing, more like a pressed steel item with two bulges at coil - clutch positions & g'box cover looked to have more rounded edges.
Being in 'as-is' condition, those require a full rebuild. May be buy & rip one for parts to build a good replica based on civilian bullet. Sell leftovers as 'Army disposal parts' no RTO headaches as well.

Last edited by Rennjit : 18th October 2011 at 17:37. Reason: :-)
Old 19th October 2011, 01:23   #12
BHPian

Anyone please throw some light on G2 engines as i know nothing related to this nomenclature. Also what does RE stand for?? Though i had idea about earlier CI engines and current UCE engines i never heard of G2 before..
Quote:
Originally Posted by acsandeep View Post
There must be some available in mayapuri,BUT IMO they're not reliable as last year my uncle pickled up one from there and it worked fine only couple of days after that it started giving hiccups and now it is lying in their scrapyard.
you mean it was in working condition?? can you please let me know how much your uncle got it for?? why didn't you consider rebuilding it???
Quote:
Originally Posted by chanu View Post
There are few available here in Hyderabad however not sure about the price ? I don't see any difference between a Army disposed Bullet and a civilian Bullet, yes people used to prefer army disposals because they used to come cheap (esp those days lots used to come with G2 engine, Made in England side stands and other stuffs etc) then they were worth restoring in regards to cost and quality but, now army and civilian are the same in terms of price and performance after restoration. Now it is the cost involved is to be considered as Bullet is the same in army and civilian stock.
Sir actually i want to go in for a complete rebuild starting from the scratch as it would ensure i don't face any mechanical hiccups in future. Also i want to customize it like giving a complete chrome paint while keeping its originality as well. Another thing I wanted was the right sided gearshift & CI engine which is missing in present production Bullets so i thought it would be better going in for old army units which i may get cheap and would spare me more money for the repairs/modifications
Old 19th October 2011, 02:48   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
As Jeeva and Jealousdiamond said, there's no technical difference between current army-disposal bullets and their civilian counterparts. If its only the lineage that interests you, come down to Panagarh in West Bengal. There's a Sardar who sells army discard bullets in the range of 20K, always has 3-4 in stock.
Sir, do you have any idea regarding the condition of these bullets?? And also, how much would go into bringing them into shape??
Old 19th October 2011, 11:54   #14
BHPian

My uncle got it for 18k and it was in working condition,and he didn't consider rebuilding it as they purchased a little new second hand bullet for 25k,which they use now,army one is lying in their scrapyard.
Old 19th October 2011, 12:34   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deutscheafrikar View Post
So what exactly is the G2 engine?
The G2 (presumably the name derived from the WW II) was the one from which the present day bullets derived inspiration from. AFAIK, it was manufactured ~ 1950s in the UK. When Enfield India set up shop in India, these were sold as CKD units until ~ early 60s. The G2s were also the first ones to spot the telescopic front forks and the rear swing arms (both said to be pioneered by Enfield, back then). It came with Lucas magneto, Amal carb and the famous G2 heavy crank . The easy to notice parts are the flat timing cover with Royal Enfield engraved and the gearbox (the kicker lever and the gear lever operated from different shafts).

Until around the early 70s, the Indian bullet still came with the G2 engine, but with the alternator setup and the newer gearbox and engine casing (the current design). However, parts like the bearings, sleeves, threads, nuts and bolts still followed the British system (English units). The current craze for old parts (Smiths mile meter, Lucas ammeter, levers, mudguards, flat tool boxes, chain covers etc.. ) originally are from these models.

@deutscheafrikar, I see that you are into vintages, so why ask?

Last edited by jeeva : 19th October 2011 at 12:45.
jeeva is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks