Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2013, 19:33   #136
BHPian

re: Honda CBR-250R : 4 Years Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
That would be fantastic. Hope Sagar Joshi (R15) can join in as well.

Don't lure me with the Leo Vince. Hope it doesn't make deep breathing noises.
Today was a nice day on the highway, with a Blade, Gixxer and a handful of HDs to give company. On a related note, dragged with a stock Ninja on a closed stretch and was head-to-head till about 90kmph, post which it inched ahead. And after 110, the gap kept increasing.
Tomorrow's tankful will tell me how's the engine efficiency post the exhaust installation.

Met this American couple who's touring on a 1200GS. What road presence! The SBKs looked dwarf in comparison!

Last edited by dreamseller : 8th September 2013 at 19:36.
dreamseller is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th January 2015, 10:08   #137
Team-BHP Support

More than 3 years have passed and it has been a fuss free ownership.

Remember the RH fairing issue I reported in the last page? It cracked when it came in contact with Motul DOT4 Brake fluid.

There were few bits and pieces scratched, thanks to the bike's weight and monsoon. It used to topple at slight provocation whenever parked on uneven (kacchha) surface.

Gave it to SVC, got few parts replaced, paid for silencer/muffler cover, RH mirror (scratched) and rear panel (the small plastic one) it was brittle & had gone white. Also changed were left panel (because of toppling)

Bike appears new & after this adventure at SVC, feels *tight* and new. As my bikes have always been. Stock and in mint condition.

The only demands of 250R has been cleaning of chain & lubing it. Motul does the job perfectly. Else no issues.

This has been keeping me busy nowadays. And this is the longest stint of mine with any bike. I usually start looking to upgrade by the 2 year time frame. But things have been different with this bike. This is the perfect commuter + hassle free to own. My time on the saddle has gone down and there is not really an alternative to it. I really like the Ninja 300 but its price and absence of sales & service outlet at my place is the reason I am skipping it.

This should stay with me at least till 2015.
Old 22nd July 2015, 09:06   #138
Team-BHP Support

I don't have the heart to mention my odo reading, but I am going to [finally] resurrect this with small rides post this month.

A senior citizen while taking out his 2 wheeler knocked off my scratch-less, waxed beauty and it fell heavily to its right side.

RH handle got twisted, muffler cover took all the damage. No damage to mirror or the indicator.

Gave the bike to ASS and after long, was overlooking the precedings. On hindsight asked the mechanic to check on the coolant. On checking, I decided to change it. It is a March '11 manufactured, purchased in October '11. It took in 750ml of coolant. Filled in Castrol, SVC had Veedol. Next time, I just might go for Motul. Brake-pads [front] were nearing their life, so changed those as well.

Bike still runs like a charm and just like it did on the 1st day. Expect more updates, pics from next month onwards.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2015, 12:29   #139
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Filled in Castrol, SVC had Veedol. Next time, I just might go for Motul
Just FYI, stock coolant itself is a brilliant one & can withstand super amazing temperatures that are extreme than India
aargee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2015, 12:48   #140
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Bike still runs like a charm and just like it did on the 1st day. Expect more updates, pics from next month onwards.
Yeah, it has been 4 years (ok, 3 years and 10 months) since I bought the CBR and it has been a good ride. Fuss-free - very apt term. Compared to my ownership of an RE - this has been heaven.
naveenroy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2015, 21:48   #141
Team-BHP Support

Rode a bit after a really long hiatus. Bike has completed 4 years.
Renewed its insurance, got its shims adjusted, battery changed.

Nothing else to report as this is a Honda.

I can't wait to throw away these tires now, now that I would be riding a bit till the weather is sane to ride.

Tires are pathetic, have no feel whatsoever and tramlines to scare the shit out of you.

Why the RH turns appear floaty, handle bar goes light?
Attached Thumbnails
Honda CBR-250R : 4 Years Up!-13-001.jpg  

Honda CBR-250R : 4 Years Up!-13-002.jpg  

Honda CBR-250R : 4 Years Up!-13-004.jpg  

Honda CBR-250R : 4 Years Up!-13-006.jpg  

Honda CBR-250R : 4 Years Up!-13-007.jpg  

Honda CBR-250R : 4 Years Up!-13-005.jpg  

Honda CBR-250R : 4 Years Up!-13-003.jpg  

Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2015, 22:16   #142
Distinguished - BHPian

Just chuck those crappy contis and go for Michelin pilot street radial. They will take the handling and grip to a whole new level.

Get the cone set checked, replaced. Worn out ball bearing on one side of the cone set usually gives a disconnected feel when turning to that side
sagarpadaki is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st November 2015, 22:54   #143
BHPian

Quote:
Rode a bit after a really long hiatus. Bike has completed 4 years.
Renewed its insurance, got its shims adjusted, battery changed.

Nothing else to report as this is a Honda.

I can't wait to throw away these tires now, now that I would be riding a bit till the weather is sane to ride.

Tires are pathetic, have no feel whatsoever and tramlines to scare the shit out of you.

Why the RH turns appear floaty, handle bar goes light?
Sheel please please get rid of those tyres and go for the Michelin Pilot street radials. It's unbelievable what better tyres can do to the ride quality and handling of this bike.

Also, when you say you got the shims 'adjusted', what exactly was done? From what I understand, valve clearance gets messed due to the wearing out of the shims. To adjust the valve clearance to stock values, one needs to replace the worn out shim(s).
Added_flavor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2015, 08:06   #144
Team-BHP Support

Re: Honda CBR-250R : 4 Years Up!

Rear Michelin is available, am waiting for the front tire.

Shims were ok & were not worn out. Will be giving the bike for service when the tires come, will ask the mechanic to look at it once.

The handle is a bit loose, will have to get that looked into.
Old 2nd November 2015, 23:58   #145
BHPian

Thanks for the updates Sheel!

I miss my CBR250R whenever I catch up on updates from you and aargee.

The brilliant smooth motor and the bike's size and seating position are perfect both for city and touring.

I find both my RC390 and Duke 390's vibes annoying and the engine sounds like a mixer. Thinking of going back and picking up a CBR! I wish they had launched the 300cc one. (I also wish either the R3 or N300 had ABS too) - CBR250R is the only other bike apart from Bajaj stable to have ABS.

I agree that the front suspension dives a lot more and is troublesome in hard-cornering and the stock tires are not so great.

But a very good package, overall!
sriramv.iyer is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2015, 15:04   #146
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Rear Michelin is available, am waiting for the front tire.

Shims were ok & were not worn out. Will be giving the bike for service when the tires come, will ask the mechanic to look at it once.

The handle is a bit loose, will have to get that looked into.
http://www.flipkart.com/michelin-pil...er=from-search

Last resort if you cant find the tyre at local shops. Street price is around 4100 bucks
Old 3rd November 2015, 15:29   #147
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post

Last resort if you cant find the tyre at local shops. Street price is around 4100 bucks
And then, you have to have a look at my location. It is neither available at places where I plan to visit in the next 1 month.

Flipkart won't ship it to my place, nor to Siliguri nor Patna.
Old 8th November 2015, 08:14   #148
Team-BHP Support

Have ordered tank extension fairing part. It has cracks because the bike toppled over on both sides sometimes back, thanks to someone in parking & once because the ground gave away because of rains.

The steering cone set has some play, it will be greased or replaced when these tank parts & accelerator & clutch cables arrive. Apparently, Honda does not make clutch & brake levers in black, if any of you come across and can ship me, do let me know, I would be grateful.

I am waiting for tires, post tire fitment, will get a service done and these parts along with consumables will be changed.

A new tank pad from PRS has already landed in.

Does the cone-set give away so soon?
Old 8th November 2015, 09:59   #149
Distinguished - BHPian

4 years is quite a long duration for the cone set to last. Besides it Mainly depends on road conditions . Bad roads result in fast wear
Old 8th November 2015, 11:01   #150
Team-BHP Support

I never had to adjust chain of my R15 or 250R. No issues with any other things. Once cone set was greased in R15, so am waiting it to open and see.

In comparison, had to adjust chain every week in the Pulsar and at least monthly in the karizma. valves friend in ~15,000 kms, gaskets leaking every-time you did a cannonball run.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks