Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th October 2011, 20:25   #31
BHPian

re: Honda CBR-250R : 4 Years Up!

Belated congratulations on your new baby! I'm glad that you decided to go for the silver variant than the gaudy red. It looks really classy. Hope you enjoy the CBR to the hilt and wish you many miles of motoring nirvana. Cheers, mate.
evilmessiah is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2011, 09:58   #32
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Glad to know the hiccup was resolved and hope you enjoy many more happy miles on the CBR. Until you get that dream 600!!
Bugged once again, but not looking much into it as there might be carbon deposits or a bit of dirt in the injector. Red-lining will help to get rid of it which I can't do now as it is still sometimes to go.

600? Maybe someday :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilmessiah View Post
Belated congratulations on your new baby! I'm glad that you decided to go for the silver variant than the gaudy red. It looks really classy. Hope you enjoy the CBR to the hilt and wish you many miles of motoring nirvana. Cheers, mate.
Thanks

I got the grey/silver as dirt & minute scratches aren't as apparent and am glad that many of you folks have taken a liking for this particular color.

Worst part of riding the CBR in a small place like mine : Boy-racers

Everyone worth his salt be it in a Scorpio, Hatches, Bullet to the doodh-wala. I either stop or take a different route & if I can't do any, I have no other option but to do the vanishing act.

Fuel-economy update - 26+kms to a liter of unleaded. Commuting inside city save for 70-80 odd kms on the highway.

I believe while touring sanely, it would return ~35km/l. My R15 used to return 30km/l while riding hard inside city confines (red-lining in 1st three gears always) and 40+ while touring with speeds hovering around 90-100 kmph.
Old 2nd November 2011, 03:06   #33
BHPian

Congrats mate!

This looks super cool in Grey/metallic . It’s actually a delight to see a different color other than red.

Enjoy every mile ahead!

Regards,
Sunil
sunil.nv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th November 2011, 23:12   #34
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunil.nv View Post
Congrats mate!

This looks super cool in Grey/metallic . It’s actually a delight to see a different color other than red.

Enjoy every mile ahead!

Regards,
Sunil
Thanks Sunil, it is indeed a pleasant surprise that most prefer this color over others.

Had gone for a small ride, but couldn't click photos as a friend had a small spill. Nothing major, but it did dampen our spirits a fair bit.

Riding sedately & sometimes a bit more sedately (for the fan to come on) the bike sipped 5.0x liters of fuel for 190+ kilometers. Almost a FE of 38
Old 9th November 2011, 11:13   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Had gone for a small ride, but couldn't click photos as a friend had a small spill. Nothing major, but it did dampen our spirits a fair bit.
Good it was nothing major. What bike was the friend on? CBR?

Quote:
Riding sedately & sometimes a bit more sedately (for the fan to come on) the bike sipped 5.0x liters of fuel for 190+ kilometers. Almost a FE of 38
Man that is almost close to the P220 and RTR180 figures. Honda have done a commendable job with the engine. And the spares seem really well priced going by Santosh's (rksans) thread. Honda surely have hit the sweet spot. Just hope they get their act together about providing the spares during the scheduled services.

When you say sedately was it 3 digit cruising speeds?

Last edited by abhinav.s : 9th November 2011 at 11:21.
Old 9th November 2011, 22:54   #36
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Good it was nothing major. What bike was the friend on? CBR?
R15 LE.
For the record, we have managed to procure all the spares and the bike shall be out on road tomorrow. If it were a CBR...?

Quote:
Man that is almost close to the P220 and RTR180 figures. Honda have done a commendable job with the engine. And the spares seem really well priced going by Santosh's (rksans) thread. Honda surely have hit the sweet spot. Just hope they get their act together about providing the spares during the scheduled services.
Spares are a big issue. No two ways about it. I am asked to procure FS oils from outside the dealership.

Quote:
When you say sedately was it 3 digit cruising speeds?
Just short of 100kmph.

After the crash of my friend, we were doing 40-50kmph :(

Had I continued to cruise at 90kmph thereabouts, I would have squeezed ~45kmpl.

So much for fuel efficiency. Today, I managed to lay down some rubber in a corner (I was in first gear though) and on a concrete sand sprinkled road, it is simply too hard to lay down any power. There is wheel-spin the moment the revs cross 6,000.

The bike supposedly makes the right kind of noise if you open up. I love that. Not too loud, but enough to turn heads & enough for most to get out of my way

Last edited by Sheel : 9th November 2011 at 22:55.
Old 10th November 2011, 02:16   #37
BHPian

Going to buy this as my first bike. Any particular advice specific to this bike for new biker? Have been driving cars for some time.
Old 10th November 2011, 13:02   #38
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by needmorebhp View Post
Going to buy this as my first bike. Any particular advice specific to this bike for new biker? Have been driving cars for some time.
If you are tall built well, the size & weight shouldn't be much of a bother.

Though honestly, I would advise to get yourself a non-faired Motorcycle. Something like a Yamaha FZ.

CBR's spares are scarce, imagine dropping your bike and then waiting for an eternity for spares to arrive. The spares are reasonably priced though.

Get a main-stream Motorcycle, have your fill & up-grade. Though have heard of folks jumping straight to a Hayabusa or a Fireblade. Depends... Have a spin (test-rides are available) and see if you like it (read= comfortable with it). Nothing can be a better indicator
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2011, 13:04   #39
BHPian

Quote:
R15 LE.
For the record, we have managed to procure all the spares and the bike shall be out on road tomorrow. If it were a CBR...?
I'll complete the sentence for you. If it were a CBR, you'd have been told "Sir we have a 3-week wait for spares of a decade old model, Activa. Please do the maths for your CBR."

Haven't done the maths yet, 63 days and still waiting for my spares to arrive.

Quote:
Had I continued to cruise at 90kmph thereabouts, I would have squeezed ~45kmpl.
So much for fuel efficiency.
Lovely. I get 30kmpl with sane city riding.

Quote:
Today, I managed to lay down some rubber in a corner (I was in first gear though) and on a concrete sand sprinkled road, it is simply too hard to lay down any power. There is wheel-spin the moment the revs cross 6,000.
What I absolutely loved during the rainy season is that you can do controlled powerslides!!!! Such things sure do break the monotony of everyday commuting.

Quote:
The bike supposedly makes the right kind of noise if you open up. I love that. Not too loud, but enough to turn heads & enough for most to get out of my way
I agree. Although I still prefer the Hondas to be much quieter. But then, that's me.

Ohh, and happy riding with your new steed Sheel.

UPDATE: Got an oil and filter change at 2800kms. Much needed change of the mineral oil of first service.
dreamseller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2011, 15:58   #40
BHPian

Good review sheel, any plans with after market accessories?
Old 10th November 2011, 22:17   #41
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamseller View Post
Haven't done the maths yet, 63 days and still waiting for my spares to arrive.
Just wish that your spares arrive ASAP.

Quote:
What I absolutely loved during the rainy season is that you can do controlled powerslides!!!! Such things sure do break the monotony of everyday commuting.
Am a sucker for black lines & had managed few times with R15. It is a high I tell you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenopower View Post
Good review sheel, any plans with after market accessories?
Thanks
None as of now. I had completely kitted up my R15 with ALL the accessories available at the dealer-ship, but the paint fade bugged me coupled with no return for your accessories.

I wish to add a screen but PRS is yet to stock it up for 250R and maybe a radiator guard. All functional ones. No exhaust etc. How much would a single 250 belt out?

Now, after riding some 700kms, I have gotten hang of this CBR. Made it a point & shoot machine. A bit of bother is, when you are overtaking something and wish to come back to your lane w/o scrubbing speed, the front doesn't talk back much. It goes silent. Same is with corners with undulations.
Old 11th November 2011, 00:58   #42
BHPian

Quote:
If you are tall built well, the size & weight shouldn't be much of a bother.

Though honestly, I would advise to get yourself a non-faired Motorcycle. Something like a Yamaha FZ.

CBR's spares are scarce, imagine dropping your bike and then waiting for an eternity for spares to arrive. The spares are reasonably priced though.

Get a main-stream Motorcycle, have your fill & up-grade. Though have heard of folks jumping straight to a Hayabusa or a Fireblade. Depends... Have a spin (test-rides are available) and see if you like it (read= comfortable with it). Nothing can be a better indicator
I am tall and that sort pf makes "traditional bikes" problematic. Sculpted tanks get in the way of my knees. Also need a bike that can do long distance cruising without shattering my bottoms off...don't know any other bike that can cruise at constant 90-100, maybe with the exception of pulsar 220. But same fuel tank issue is there in pulsar as well.
Old 11th November 2011, 12:15   #43
Team-BHP Support

Well, then CBR seems as a good option along with R15 and Karizma.

Test-ride all and decide. IMO, Karizma & R15 are smoother than the CBR.
Old 25th November 2011, 23:01   #44
Team-BHP Support

Update!

1st service completed at 800kms in 30+ days.

Expense -
Rs. 380 for 1.5ltr of oil
Rs. 260 for oil filter

Other expenses -
Rs. 100 to get the R15's paddock stand converted into CBR's stand. That is a neat ~Rs. 3,000 saved

Honda CBR-250R : 4 Years Up!-12.jpg

Tank-pad - Rs. 1,100 + Rs 100 (shipping) This tank protector is sourced from Performance Racing Store

Honda CBR-250R : 4 Years Up!-13.jpg

Fuel economy - ~28-30kmpl inside city confines. Approx ~40 while on the high-way.

The ugly front number plate holder too has been done away with.

I am not too happy with the way the engine seems hyper at 7,000+ revs on the highway, it seems as if it is straining itself, while the R15 used to stay calm even at 8,000 revs. May be the price one has to pay for a 250 single.

Last edited by Sheel : 25th November 2011 at 23:19.
Old 25th November 2011, 23:42   #45
BHPian

How was the service experience at your local dealer? Also do you see unusual panel gaps in the rear panels and the fairing? My friend was pretty disappointed to this on his bike.
Your observation is completely in line with what i felt while pushing the bike. The R15 felt so much more eager to rev and hold on to higher revs, while the CBR has a slightly choked feel ( for the lack of better choice of words), as if something is holding it back at high revs. Mid range is where the bike is most comfortable at.
I recollect Joel pointing out that the stock ECU and exhaust are pretty conservative, and can be tuned to yield much better results.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks