Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 21st January 2014, 00:27   #16
BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield Rigid Rear Frame OR Extended Swing Arm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster View Post
hi imbue,

i think you are referring to Delhi based manufacturer, right?

some pics of his work.
Attachment 837290

Attachment 837291

Attachment 837292

Attachment 837293

Attachment 837294

Attachment 837295

Attachment 837296

Attachment 837297
yes you are right, Indian after market parts industry is very small which uses very old school technology, thus resulting in less accuracy & quality.

IMO you should get a custom hard tail or extended swing arm from your locality, where its manufactured with better technologies like CAD/CAM, TIG/MIG , CNC BENDER, WATER JET CUTTING etc.
(or import form USA)

rgds
Nikhil
Sir, where can I get the hardtail frame, the pictures of which you have posted above.
Old 21st January 2014, 00:53   #17
BHPian

google for royalenfieldzone (also know as chawla auto spare)

or

vintageautoworld owned by rohan nino .

quality same in both , vintage auto world charges a lot more. There are a few others but i can vouch for chawla .

Now let me educate you on the quality , i myself purchased products from chawla and at one point was on the verge of paying 16k for a girder fork but the quality is so bad and i mean so bad that it is worthless , not even worth 500 bucks to risk your life on . I did make 10k worth of purchase but none which will risk my life . Delivery is fast though and u get what u are shown in pictures.

On hardtail frame , stay away from them . just because they look different and vintage doesnt makes them worth it , I felt the same way about girder fork at first but one look at the porous casted lugs(original girders were forged not casted) made me reach a decision .
Old 21st January 2014, 10:13   #18
Senior - BHPian

One can have the beauty of an extended swing arm , hard tail and the daily utility of a soft tail by using a covered/hidden mono shock within the swing arm. Please google the Harley version of the same.
Old 21st January 2014, 20:12   #19
BHPian

I am considering the mono shock... But I really need the vehicle to stand out. Performance is important, but that vintage look is all the more important as well.
Old 27th January 2014, 15:11   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhaval-mehta View Post
I am considering the mono shock... But I really need the vehicle to stand out. Performance is important, but that vintage look is all the more important as well.
Hi Mr. Dhaval-Mehta,

A hard tail on Indian roads can be a spine-cracker and can put you away from riding for ages if not for ever. What I could have said in 10 posts, basuroy has said in one with a good example (the grider).

If you, however, want the extended/low-slung look, you may go for the non-hydraulic shockabsorbers of older bullets of even an avenger.

Besides, if you want that stand-apart look, you may go for some neat airbrushing and well-made leather saddles than to play with the safety for passable features (I personally prefer a low slung soft-tail to a hard-tail anytime). You might throw in an ape-hanger instead of the regular handlebar as well (of course you'll need to source some extralong cables).

Of course, if you're building an exhibition bike, say as a specimen or something like that, then you could go for a hard-tail. But the cost/effort involved are simply not worth the salt.

End of the day, no matter how good your bobber looks, it has to be ridden hard, for the highway is where the true test lies, pal.

Hope this helps.
Happy riding!
Old 27th January 2014, 20:43   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhaval-mehta View Post
... the mono shock... But I really need the vehicle to stand out. ... .
Hope this helps

Royal Enfield Rigid Rear Frame OR Extended Swing Arm-mono.jpg
Old 27th January 2014, 21:11   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rennjit View Post
Hope this helps

Attachment 1197461
Do you have more pictures of this setup... the shock absorber seems to be fitted to the side and not the centre (with respect to the tyre)
Old 27th January 2014, 22:35   #23
BHPian

Its an offset mono, built on regular swing arm but reinforced with a stiffener plate running along bottom. its the best pic i have, from ridermania 09.
Old 27th January 2014, 23:51   #24
BHPian

I have seen quite a few specimen of monoshocked chopper enfields on the web , all look like a standard chop and weld job . One worth checking out is a cafe racer by rajputana customs which uses a honda unicorn monoshock , while it is beyond me how a unicor shocker can bear the load of an enfield , rajputana has a reputation of building better bikes than most .

My personal opinion is monoshock on old british bikes look completely out place and only worth considering if the build is a cafe racer . If you want your enfield to have a vintage stance , then there are 2 options -
1. hardtail , not suggested and if you insist , then get is constructed by a highly reputed mechanic .
2. chopping the shockers by 2" to get the original slammed stance of the bullet or other brit bikes , this is what I have done with my bike and will make a thread here showing the same. The outcome is remarkable , the bike 'looks' so much better with slammed suspension while retaining a decent shock absorbing capabilities.

Most Viewed