Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th October 2011, 13:44   #1
BANNED

TVS Wego - Engine stall & Starting problem

Hi,
I would recommend everyone not to buy a TVS Wego. I bought a black TVS Wego (KA-01, EU-3401) from Trident motors, Domlur, Bangalore in Aug 2011.

For first few weeks till 1st service, vehicle was okay. However post first service following problems have surfaced including:
(1) Engine stall while in motion:
Sometimes vehicle suddenly stalls while in motion meaning engine goes off. Once this happens, self-start won't work. Neither will kickstart work, Choke on, stand on and kick-start also won't work.

You will have to turn the key off - wait for 2-3 minutes and only then - will things work.

(2) Self-start not working
Once you switch off in a traffic signal waiting for red lights to turn green, self-start fails to work.

I want to enquire if other Wego owners have faced same issue. I have done 1700+ km in great strife with no help from Trident Domlur. Request others to let me know if there are solutions to the problem.

I am planning to sell my Wego and buy a Honda aviator if these problems don't get resolved in the next service
Old 27th October 2011, 11:47   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: TVS Wego - Engine stall & Starting problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkirana View Post
I would recommend everyone not to buy a TVS Wego.
Whoa, please don't recommend based on a one off experience. Hold on and see if you can get issues resolved.

Quote:
For first few weeks till 1st service, vehicle was okay. However post first service following problems have surfaced including
Which means it is most likely an incompetent service center that has screwed up the bike.

Quote:
I am planning to sell my Wego and buy a Honda aviator if these problems don't get resolved in the next service
While i am not sure what must be causing the issues, it appears like a battery issue. I think you are referring to Tristar TVS in Domlur. If the service there is not good, then please try Trijal TVS in Whitefield. They are very helpful and have competent mechanics there.

And coming the point about the Aviator, check the gearless scooters thread for the harrowing experience of a member on purchase of the Aviator. That is a whole new headache my friend.

So relax, change the service center and try to get the issues resolved. If its not working then go with the option of booking your losses.

Mods: Can the thread be moved to the gearless scooters section?

EDIT: On another thread there is the below suggestion. Worth a try:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
^^ if pressing the start button with one brake lever pressed does not even move the starter,then either the brake switch or the starter button is defective.

The starter and horn switches are a hopeless design and no one can say how long they'll last

If the starter does move but the engine does not fire,then the air-fuel mix is not set properly ; set the air screw to approx 1 turn open from fully close and all will be well.

Last edited by abhinav.s : 27th October 2011 at 11:55.
abhinav.s is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2011, 13:55   #3
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Whoa, please don't recommend based on a one off experience. Hold on and see if you can get issues resolved.

Which means it is most likely an incompetent service center that has screwed up the bike.

While i am not sure what must be causing the issues, it appears like a battery issue. I think you are referring to Tristar TVS in Domlur. If the service there is not good, then please try Trijal TVS in Whitefield. They are very helpful and have competent mechanics there.

And coming the point about the Aviator, check the gearless scooters thread for the harrowing experience of a member on purchase of the Aviator. That is a whole new headache my friend.

So relax, change the service center and try to get the issues resolved. If its not working then go with the option of booking your losses.

Mods: Can the thread be moved to the gearless scooters section?

EDIT: On another thread there is the below suggestion. Worth a try:
I have engine stalling issue in TVS Streak once. There were bad particles accumulated in carburettor due to low quality fuel. Once the carburettor cleaned everything works fine and I haven’t got this issue again.
johnjojo08 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th October 2011, 14:53   #4
BHPian

Just check that the service guys haven't screwed the carb. They might have adjusted the air screw to a lower setting which will make the vehicle stall.

Also check that the fuel lines are not blocked and the tank has sufficient fuel and all the tubes are proper connected. Also ensure that water hasn't entered into the fuel tank.

My friend recently bought a Wego few days back, and its running quiet ok. I have a HH pleasure which have pathetic cold start (even with choke), reminds me of old Kinetic.Every automobile might not work like charm,you need to look into the issues and sort it out.
Old 27th October 2011, 19:46   #5
BHPian

Wow! One bad experience and u want everyone to stay away from the Wego? We have had no problems at all with ours.

Most likely problem would be the incompetency of the mechanics at the service center rather than the scooter itself. As abhinav put it, change the service center and then see. We give ours to Arunagiri TVS on Outer Ring Road near Horamavu Signal. Pretty decent work so far. No problems with the scoot as u have mentioned about urs.

Prajwal
Old 28th October 2011, 08:51   #6
Senior - BHPian

The Wego is an excellent bike. Sorry to hear about your problems, but I must say something went wrong in your servicing. Take it back there and they will rectify it for you.

My wego has severe cold starting problems. I have a tough time in the morning to start it. But once its running, it runs well. It has clocked around 3k in the odo now.
Old 28th October 2011, 17:28   #7
BANNED

Hi,

I got a call from Praneet, TVS Area Service Manager and he assured me that my problem will be solved. I am impressed with the pro-activeness of Praneet and TVS Service in trying to resolve the issue - This shows that the TVS management cares for customers and attempts to resolve the issues which is very positive

Other than the starting problem and stall problem that I have faced, TVS Wego provides a comfortable ride with its good suspension. The center stand is also easy to use and the fuel lid is very well placed so that you don't have to remove the seat.

I will update the post on the exact reason (I have carburretor air-fuel mixture, starting switch and connection to brake, spark blug and choke cable layout as potential issues - from the internet) once it is fixed

TVS does have some very good service personnel - and if such cases are resolved, it is definitely good.

Thanks

Quote:
Hi,
I would recommend everyone not to buy a TVS Wego. I bought a black TVS Wego (KA-01, EU-3401) from Trident motors, Domlur, Bangalore in Aug 2011.

For first few weeks till 1st service, vehicle was okay. However post first service following problems have surfaced including:
Sometimes vehicle suddenly stalls while in motion meaning engine goes off. Once this happens, self-start won't work. Neither will kickstart work, Choke on, stand on and kick-start also won't work.

You will have to turn the key off - wait for 2-3 minutes and only then - will things work.

Once you switch off in a traffic signal waiting for red lights to turn green, self-start fails to work.

I want to enquire if other Wego owners have faced same issue. I have done 1700+ km in great strife with no help from Trident Domlur. Request others to let me know if there are solutions to the problem.

Old 1st November 2011, 15:45   #8

Hi rkirana,

I do agree with you on engine stall while in motion. It had happened with me once during heavy rains here in Pune.
But, the self start system worked well with me at that time.
Wego does have problems when starting in the morning. My wego did not start after I gave it for a water wash. And my choke got jammed during that time. Somehow with the help of a local mechanic, I got the starting problem rectified.
One of my fellow Wego user recommended me to switch off headlight switches during start and stop any possible application that may consume power during start.
Also, give the vehicle, a backward kick, there shouldn't be a problem while starting. Also, use the choke every week atleast once so that you won't have any starting problems.
If you can afford Shell petrol, then that option is one of the best for smooth running of engine.
I started following that advice gave by the gentlemen and believe me, My wego is utter smooth whenever I drive. I didn't face any problems with my Wego after that. I have run around 6k kms with my Wego without much complication.
I hope this helps.

Quote:
Hi,

Old 27th November 2012, 23:33   #9
BANNED

A honest request to TVS

Hi,
I am one of the unfortunate owners of the bad TVS product - Wego. It is definitely the 'worst scooter of the year'.
Three months into purchase, starting problems occured. Vehicle would suddenly stop while moving causing safety issues. They were fixed after I raised a lot of negative reviews on the internet.
Now 1 year and 3 months later, the problems have recurred. I replaced the entire battery at TVS out of frustration - and new battery from Tristar also did not solve the problem. Reading reviews on the internet and seeing other folks' issues, I am convinced this problem cannot be fixed. No service or marketing can make a bad product good (such as making a donkey a horse). I am putting my vehicle for sale soon to buy a Suzuki or Honda vehicle.
Suggest that TVS stick to making lunas where modern ignition systems are not required. I will alert others about my experience so that they also don't get cheated like me.
Please stop making bad vehicles - simply unreliable. If it were a foreign country, TVS would have been closed due to litigation over poor quality
Thanks
kiran

There are other reviews of the worst scooter of the year (Definitely scooter for the century - but worst!!) - check http://www.mouthshut.com/product-rev...iews-925591182
Old 28th November 2012, 20:16   #10
Senior - BHPian

Re: A honest request to TVS

Quote:
I am one of the unfortunate owners of the bad TVS product - Wego. It is definitely the 'worst scooter of the year'.
Three months into purchase, starting problems occured. Vehicle would suddenly stop while moving causing safety issues. They were fixed after I raised a lot of negative reviews on the internet.
Now 1 year and 3 months later, the problems have recurred. ......
Sorry about your ordeal and unresolved issues. An inside birdie told me that there were many issues with the earlier model Wegos which included Battery issues (4aH instead of 5aH provided in earlier models), front suspension issues, speedo cable issues, air filter being oiled too much and leaking, carb leaking issues etc. All these were fixed in batches and all issues were solved by 2012 Aug/Sep only. Of course this does not mean all earlier Wegos had all the above problems but some of them had a few or one of the above mentioned issues. 2012 Aug onwards 90% of major issues were resolved. So i understand your pain and a colleague of mine too faced almost all the above mentioned issues and due to frustration, he too sold away his 1yr old wego. All the best for your next purchase!
Old 29th November 2012, 08:55   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi,
Now 1 year and 3 months later, the problems have recurred. I replaced the entire battery at TVS out of frustration - and new battery from Tristar also did not solve the problem.
Kiran,

Sorry to hear your ordeal, was suprised to know about a Lemon in the gearless scooter section too. Had you tried to communicate the issues to TVS directly? Is the workshop playing some pranks? Since now you have decided to sell the Wego, would you be selling the scooter with the issues still there? Suggest you to get the scooter in working condition & then sell.

Can I assume for a year or so, the scooter was running smoothly before the issues reoccured?
Old 29th November 2012, 09:20   #12
BHPian

I had some stalling issues as well, but all worked out fine when I changed the battery from a 4aH to a 5aH. Also, the idling had gone low, so no amount of kicking would start it.

Got it fixed and got the air-fuel mixture reset at the service centre and the scoot is working fine. Mine is a March 2011 model.

Prajwal
Old 29th November 2012, 09:50   #13
Senior - BHPian

I had starting problems too. But usually only in Winters. Rkirana had the first issue during October end last year , recurred again during November, winter again. Wego's have this issue in cold starts. The solution which worked for me, is to have it Kick-started for the first time in the morning. It runs well throughout the day. Putting in a higher amp battery may resolve it too.

But this is not taking away the ordeal you have gone through. The issue should have been suitably addressed by them. All the best for your new purchase.
Old 29th November 2012, 10:26   #14
BHPian

I always kick start it first thing in the morning. Even if the scooter has been idle for more than 5 hours, I kick start, like for example, after office, when it would have been idle for more than 8 hours through the day. It almost always starts in the first kick, 2 kicks at the most. I use the self-start once it has run a couple of kms.

Prajwal
Old 29th November 2012, 11:37   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Sorry to hear the ordeal with the Wego. But some statements you taking it too far just because of the frustration caused.

Did you not try any other service center, or worst case scenario any good local garage?

TVS does not know about ignition? You must be kidding me. I am not in anyway supporting TVS for providing you a Lemon, but there are other good products from them. But off late there are quite a few recurring complaints coming in, which does not do any good to the reputation of TVS.

By the way, my apache/RTR has covered a little over 1.20 lac kms
nkrishnap is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks