Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st November 2011, 19:39   #16
BHPian

Re: Suzuki Access or Honda Activa? Or something else?

It is Wego or Access all the way. I own an Activa and from 5 yrs of ownership can say that it is a grossly overrated product. Battery problems, poor service and low mileage are some of the issues i am facing
heman_369 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st November 2011, 19:55   #17
Senior - BHPian

I will recommend Access or Aviator, because both have telescope shock absorbers which work wonderfully. Activa doesn't have them, so the ride is nowhere as smooth on bumpy roads as the two above. Take your pick with eyes closed. I own both, and I feel Aviator has a better build, and Access has more power. Aviator returns more mileage comparatively.

EDIT: BTW the body of fiber of metal doesn't matter too much unless you are sure to bang the scooter too much. A good protective guard around the scooter will protect it very well. You are not going to sell the bike in future by its weight!

Last edited by ani_meher : 1st November 2011 at 19:57.
Old 1st November 2011, 19:56   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by heman_369 View Post
It is Wego or Access all the way. I own an Activa and from 5 yrs of ownership can say that it is a grossly overrated product. Battery problems, poor service and low mileage are some of the issues i am facing
+1. It is indeed overrated. We are facing battery problem from first few months. Service is good though since we use Honda authorized service center and not the dealer. Mileage is nothing to boast about.
Old 1st November 2011, 20:02   #19
BHPian

I used to own an Access as well and I feel its better than Activa - FE, performance, waiting period. But Wego should be even better in terms of practicality (storage, foot space, fuel lid not under the seat), FE, price, style and immediate availabiliy.
Old 1st November 2011, 20:23   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by heman_369 View Post
I completely agree with you. Honda scooters are actually overrated. I own both Activa (my father uses it) and Aviator. I am not happy with both. I am having battery issues with both the bikes even after the battery replacement.
Old 1st November 2011, 20:27   #21
BHPian

The owners of 5 - 6 year old 102cc Activas won't be very happy about the mileage given by their scooters. But the ones coming since 2009(I guess) are 110cc ones and those are at least 15% more fuel efficient as compared to the 102cc Activas.

The old 102cc engine still comes on the Dio/Pleasure and is shown in the ARAI rated mileage.
We all know that these FEs are far from accurate. But can easily be used as a guideline.

As per Jan 2011 data, the ARAI mileages are as follows

Activa : 66.7
Aviator: 66.7
Wego : 64.6
Duro : 57.18
Rodeo : 56.3
Flyte : 56.3
Access : 50.22

Source:https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...tNDRUSHc#gid=0

Guess I wasn't far off on the mileage bit.

Last edited by antz.bin : 1st November 2011 at 20:30.
Old 1st November 2011, 20:55   #22
BHPian

Wego is the best. Honda scooters are really over rated ,overhyped. Activa has really bad suspension. Technically Suzuki Access is far better than activa but my vote goes to Wego for being a all rounder metal body practical bike and has lot of plus points over access in terms of handling and body dynamics considering women owners.Wego has a proven TVS Victor engine too.Spare parts are quiet cheap and readily available as compared to Activa.
Old 1st November 2011, 21:10   #23
BHPian

Please please please...do not buy a HONDA Activa!!

The thing is not worth that waiting period and the quality of the new Activa's are really pathetic. My father had an Eterno which he sold to buy and Activa. From Day one it had problems like a Rumbling/Grinding kind of feeling from the Scooter and even after writing to the great 'Honda Motorcycle & Scooter India', the Authorized dealer came to a conclusion that the "PROBLEM" is a "NORMAL" behaviour since it occurs on every 2 or 3 scooters out of say 10.

I am not a Honda Basher since I myself own a Unicorn and I really like that bike even though its having its own set of problems.

I would rate Mahindra Rodeo/Flyte above Honda Activa solely for the riding comfort, engine power, low cost of spares and excellent rideability. The instantaneous throttle response is the best out of all the scooters in that range.
Old 1st November 2011, 21:16   #24
BHPian

I was also in the same dilemma a couple of years back when I had to buy a scooter for my wife.

The scooters considered were the Access and the Activa. We test drove both the vehicles (my relatives and friends have
both these vehicles, so I have driven both many times). Finally, we ended up buying the Access.

Access is certainly more powerful than the Activa. It pulls ahead with ease so easily.

Access has got telescopic front suspension which the Activa doesn't have. One of the advantages of this is that Access doesn't have this floating effect the Activa produces as the speed increases.

The seat height from ground seems to be almost the same for both Access and Activa. The Activa looks bulkier and broader than the Access though.

I kind of remember seeing in the specifications that the weight of both these scooters are almost the same (am not sure though).

Access has better brakes compared to the Activa. I find the combo brakes introduced in one of the variants of the Activa useless.

In Bangalore city driving/traffic conditions our Access has been consistently returning a mileage of 35-38 kmpl. It has never returned above
38 kmpl as per my calculations. I think the Activa returns a better mileage than the Access.

It's been 2 years now that we bought our Access and it's done 9500 km till now. It's been a hassle free ownership experience till now.

Also, the waiting period for the Access is no less than the Activa.

Checkout the Wego too. With it's bigger wheels and telescopic front suspension, it may be more comfortable and a better handler than
the above 2 scooters.

Last edited by Dolphin : 1st November 2011 at 21:18.
Old 1st November 2011, 22:12   #25
Senior - BHPian

I was in the same dilemma in May 2010, and I finally bought an Access for my daughter. The positives of the Access over the Activa are:-
  1. Better ground clearance. Have never scraped a speed-breaker so far, unlike the Kinetic Honda that we have that gives us nightmares. I am told even the Activa has big time GC issues, and am not sure if they have improved in their newer model.
  2. Telescopic front shocks
  3. Better pickup
  4. Starts with push button even on cold winters (my daughter uses it. If it were me, I'd kick-start first time in the morning)
With 8200 kims on the odo, we have not had a single issue so far. The only thing we changed were the handle grip covers. We get an FE of 37 to 42 in Hyderabad city driving. The only gripe I have is that the hook for the shopping bag is far too low on the body, so whatever I hang on it lies nearly horizontal on the scooter floor, unlike in the Kinetic Honda. Another dampener is that the scooter needs to be on the central stand if it has to be kick-started: the stand otherwise fouls with the starter. And I don't like the lock position for the handle---one needs to press the key inwards and then turn, else you will unlock the seat. Not a show stopper, but I don't find this intuitive.

The Activa, in my opinion, looks better than the Access--I mean the new model. Perhaps it has better FE, but I don't own one. I have driven my cousin's a couple of times though. No great shakes, if you ask me.

Both Activa and Access have poor headlights and not so good brakes---but hey, I've got pampered by cars for the past 2 decades, so take this with a pinch of salt. Perhaps this is a malaise with all scooters. I remember my Lamby scored far worse on these two factors.

While on this topic, I wanted to mention that the time has come for me to get another scooter---this time for my son. He rejected the Wego outright as he felt it looks like a smaller model, like the Scooty from the rear (I like it though). He was contemplating on the Activa, so that we have a different make at home. There is only an extra month of waiting for the Activa in Hyderabad---3 months instead of 2 months for the Access.

But soon after he TD'd his friend's new Activa, he decided to go for an Access. Main reason is the ground clearance. Soon after our exit gate, there is a speed-breaker which he scraped while riding doubles on the Activa. He took his sister's Access with the same person, and it cleared the hump neatly.

So now we are waiting for the second Suzuki Access---this time it is a white one compared to the existing black.

Last edited by vnabhi : 1st November 2011 at 22:15.
vnabhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2011, 23:03   #26
BHPian

I own both Wego and Access. Both are used by my wife and me. The Wego gives almost 50kmpl where as Access gives a slightly less mileage of 46 to 48kmpl. Pick any one of them and you wont go wrong. Personally, I prefer Wego when I ride alone and Access when I have a pillion and that is basically because Access clearly is more powerful. But do keep in mind that Access has a jittery ride over rough surfaces and the braking is not that great at speeds above 60kmph. (In comparison to Wego and Activa)

Note: I used an Activa before buying Access and I was not happy with the service center. And yes, it had starting problems as well. Frankly, I don't understand why it has such a long waiting period !

Last edited by DieselAddikt : 1st November 2011 at 23:12.
Old 2nd November 2011, 09:27   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
Guys, i need some help in purchasing Scooter for my Wife. She currently using Kinetic 4S which has hell lot of problems. Parts are also not available. So we need new scooter for her.

Wife is saying she wants Activa and i am inclined towards Suzuki Access. Which is better of these 2? Or something else is better than these two? I like Access as its a very good looking, stylish, smooth & heard that its more fuel efficient than Activa. Any BHPian can throw some light on this? Which is the best available scooter in market right now?

What is the height and weight of driver (srry to be personal - but needed for suggestion)?
For hefty person activa / access is good.
For light person pep+ is good.
Also you should take into consideration whether both the feet are flat on ground comfortably. This is important especially in rainy days.
Sometimes people go for overkill when its not needed - hence suggestion of pep+.
Old 2nd November 2011, 10:08   #28
BHPian

In my years of owning Activa it never and i mean never returned FE more than 40. Max I would get is 40. The 2005-07 Activas are plagued with battery problems. There is no logical way Activa can demand a 3 month waiting period after full payment. I think it is a collusion between the dealers and HMSI to enjoy interest free money from the buyer.
Old 2nd November 2011, 10:13   #29
BANNED

Wego has all positives except Engine is not refined as much as Honda Activa.
I have both Dio and Wego and Wego is lighter and good to drive in the city rather than Activa/Access which are bulky and heavy and are good option for longer travels
ON the fuel effiecieny my guess in Wego is its not so much fuel efficient though the scotter has clocked only 700 kms till date, but better than Honda Dio which hardly gives over 35 kmpl.

Last edited by YVES : 2nd November 2011 at 10:15.
Old 2nd November 2011, 10:25   #30
Senior - BHPian

I got the Wego for my wife in feb this year from Century Automobiles, ShivajiNagar. I must say, that the wego has delivered on all accounts. The delivery took 2 weeks, spares are easily available and running costs are less. Mileage that I get (me weighing 100 kgs with wife being the pillion) is a constant 46+kmpl with speeds in the range of 40 to 50 kmph. The running costs is approx a rupee per km.

The negative to it is that the riding position is a bit higher compared to Activa and the seat is also a tad shorter. Also, its a bit cumbersome in cold starts (but I guess its applicable to all scooters).

I would highly recommend this scooter for you. Do take a test drive of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by antz.bin View Post
FE wise, it will be Activa / Aviator > Wego > Access > Rodeo/Duro/Flyte
I disagree to this point. My FIL has an Activa. Other than the Honda badge and a good engine, its lacking on many other features. The mileage that he gets is above 35. Ofcourse everyone understands that the driving habits are different.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks