Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 2nd November 2011, 10:26   #31
BHPian

Re: Suzuki Access or Honda Activa? Or something else?

I bought my wife a Wego 45 days ago. It is a good vehicle and much better than the TVS Scooty which she had before. Definitely Access and Activa are more powerful and the engine can pull nicely to race with the bikes. As far as Wego is concerned, it performs well for driving style of most women where racing or fast acceleration is not a must. The vehicle is also lighter compared to Activa or Access, but has better balance probaly due to 12" tyres used both in front and back. The braking is precise and handling is more bike like. I can never imagine myself to drive the old scooty to office. But with Wego I definitely wound not mind. Mileage observed in the 600kms so far is about 43~45km/ltr.
Old 2nd November 2011, 10:39   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by _raVan_ View Post
I got the Wego for my wife in feb this year from Century Automobiles, ShivajiNagar. I must say, that the wego has delivered on all accounts. The delivery took 2 weeks, spares are easily available and running costs are less. Mileage that I get (me weighing 100 kgs with wife being the pillion) is a constant 46+kmpl with speeds in the range of 40 to 50 kmph. The running costs is approx a rupee per km.

The negative to it is that the riding position is a bit higher compared to Activa and the seat is also a tad shorter. Also, its a bit cumbersome in cold starts (but I guess its applicable to all scooters).

I would highly recommend this scooter for you. Do take a test drive of it.
Ditto here. The Wego is a no nonsense scooter - stable & comfy to ride, easy to maneuver in city traffic, decent power, good brakes and more than sufficient headlight spread & throw for city riding purposes. The cleverest touch is that the fuel tank cap is at the rear end of the scooter, so that you don't have to raise the seat while filling petrol. The mileage returned was between 35-40 kmpl till the bike completed about a 1000 kms, but has now gone up to 42-45 kmpl. Even though I bought the bike from Century Automobiles, I got the 1st & 2nd free servicings done from the Chhatrapati TVS workshop off Karve Road.

@_raVan_ - How many days did it take for the Century Auto folks to give the RC card & Road Tax certificate for your vehicle?

Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 2nd November 2011 at 10:41.
Old 2nd November 2011, 10:43   #33
BHPian

If you book Activa now and by the time it gets delivered, Honda might have launched new scotter - Honda Vision 110 - expected to be available on road by end of this year or beginning of next year. If you could wait, hold for couple of months to get better comparison and to choose better one. I'm doing the same.

Activa is poor in suspension - especially on bad roads/speed breakers. You would tend to get shoulder pain down the lane.
Aviator is same as Activa + better suspension + extra price.
As with all other Honda products, these two too are premium priced.

Wego gives good overall package. Good suspension and VFM product.

Access is good too and a VFM product, but for the more power (125cc) you get, you get somewhat lesser FE (compared to Activa, Aviator and Wego).

I'm just waiting for the Honda Vision to be launched so that I can decide between Honda Vision or Honda Aviator or TVS Wego.
In Honda vision, with spec same as Activa/Aviator, I'm particularly interested in 14" wheels and tubeless tyres and other nicknacks

Last edited by iamswift : 2nd November 2011 at 10:54.
Old 2nd November 2011, 10:54   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
@_raVan_ - How many days did it take for the Century Auto folks to give the RC card & Road Tax certificate for your vehicle?
It took them around 4 months for the RC card.
_raVan_ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2011, 11:05   #35
BHPian

Activa has insane waiting periods coupled with pathetic attitude of sales people .This was only one reason when I walked out of a Honda showroom 5 year back and took an oath that i will never return.
In Tvm, activa waiting period is nearly 1 year depending on color choice and you are at the mercy of the dealer.

I would suggest you to check the Pleasure, I have one for nearly 5 years .The scoot is extremely nimble and have decent FE. Only con is the ride on bad roads.
It comes with old activa engine (102 cc) and is pretty reliable. I have skipped almost every service after routine service for one and a half year due to pathetic HH service quality.

One of my friend recently bought a Wego and the scoot feels pretty solid and is highly recommended, but i feel it might be slightly big for short ladies.
bullboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2011, 11:18   #36
BHPian

My wife recently bought TVS wego (White colored) and we are really happy with the performance. Large tyres, Balanced metallic body and comfortable riding position makes it a value for money buy.
Old 2nd November 2011, 11:23   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rameshnanda View Post
I completely agree with you. Honda scooters are actually overrated. I own both Activa (my father uses it) and Aviator. I am not happy with both. I am having battery issues with both the bikes even after the battery replacement.
Battery issues or cold start problems? You have to pull the choke even in summers; that is a typical Honda trait. I have a 7 year old Activa (30,000+ kms) and it is still on the original battery.

This bike hasn't given me any major issues despite getting flooded in monsoons. It had to be towed on that occasion. Other than that beyond regular oil changes, it has never given me any trouble. It sure takes a fair bit of abuse. Of course, the suspension is nothing to write about - it sends shock waves through all your body when it falls in potholes.

Sure, I recommend any bike with telescopic suspension and I wonder why Honda should fleece customers 50K+ for this when even the TVS Scooty pep comes with a telescopic suspension.

Pradeep

Last edited by pradkumar : 2nd November 2011 at 11:24.
Old 2nd November 2011, 11:32   #38
Senior - BHPian

First of all thanks all for your responses. It was really pleasing that people on TBHP are using Scooters as well Some people thought (Like few my friends ) that its only for car lovers & users.

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
Sorry for hijacking the thread aniketi.
Today my moms Jan 1996 Kinetic Honda DX engine got siezed while doing 60 Kmph on Sion-Panvel highway. I was riding it from Chembur to Vashi. It has happened for the second time in its life span.
So my brother and parents are vying for the change of it to Activa. Today inquired for it and it costs Rs. 52,xxx in Vashi, Navi Mumbai.
Another thing, if I you need ready delivery than you can have the Activa for Rs. 63,xxx. That is Rs. 11,xxx for of the shelf delivery.
The waiting period given is 8 months with no fixed date. Talk about cars waiting period.
Aviator is good from safety point of view, but it has fiber body that's what the dealer said.
Tomorrow mine old school Honda will be operated upon for its engine seizure.
Thanks for the info. Your kinetic must of seized due to shortage of oil i guess else its a very good bike. 11K more for immediate delivery of Activa is too much. I wont go for that though i need it urgently.

Quote:
You are wrong. Access is equipped with the Telescopic front suspension. Another advantage of Access over Activa is that it is better powered and accelerates so well.
Thanks for the providing useful info. I also feel Access is better balanced than activa, specially on turns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by antz.bin View Post
Buy the Activa eyes closed if you can bear the waiting period. In some cities, the Swift Diesel will have a shorter waiting period than the Activa.

The other option you have is buying a Honda Aviator instead of the Activa. It comes with the option of a Front Disc brake (which I feel should be opted in the interest of safety) and has Telescopic front shocks similar to Wego and Rodeo (which is lacking in both Activa and Mahindra Duro) which gives it better ride quality than its sibling, the Activa.

Because it is priced slightly more than the Activa, it might have a lower waiting period.

FE wise, it will be Activa / Aviator > Wego > Access > Rodeo/Duro/Flyte

All of the above are very good products in their own right. The service woes of HMSI are present but I think it is still pretty much manageable in Pune.
Me & wife both dont like Aviator. Sorry ! As far as Mahindra goes, i still dont rely on them in 2 wheelers. They have bought the Kinetic which was pathetic in the end. I am suffering from that only.

I guess FE of Activa is not that great. It hardly gives 30+ in city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Bean View Post
My new wego brought for my wife has clocked 7000 km in the past 6 months.

Speeds = 40-55 km/hr Fuel efficiency = 50-52kmpl when my wife drives

speeds = 55-80 km/hr Fuel efficiency = 40-45 kmpl when I drive

The fuel efficiency seems good, I don't know the efficiency of other scooters.

Only drawback being the smaller fuel tank

You should be considering Wego which is a new platform all together.
Better fuel efficiency, looks, comfort, off the shelf availability were the deal maker for me when I brought wego
Thanks for useful info. I will chk Wego this weekend. Btw, whats the price of it on road? How much is the fuel tank? 5+ liters is ok for me as wife is not going to do long runs on that. Hardly 100 Kms in a week.

Quote:
Access will be good choice. Its powerful and also has the suspension which is superior than Activa.

For your information, I own a Activa and not very much impressed with it.
Thanks ... I also feel same. Activa is super over rated product.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heman_369 View Post
It is Wego or Access all the way. I own an Activa and from 5 yrs of ownership can say that it is a grossly overrated product. Battery problems, poor service and low mileage are some of the issues i am facing
Thanks for the input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolphin View Post
I was also in the same dilemma a couple of years back when I had to buy a scooter for my wife.

The scooters considered were the Access and the Activa. We test drove both the vehicles (my relatives and friends have
both these vehicles, so I have driven both many times). Finally, we ended up buying the Access.

Access is certainly more powerful than the Activa. It pulls ahead with ease so easily.

Access has got telescopic front suspension which the Activa doesn't have. One of the advantages of this is that Access doesn't have this floating effect the Activa produces as the speed increases.

The seat height from ground seems to be almost the same for both Access and Activa. The Activa looks bulkier and broader than the Access though.

I kind of remember seeing in the specifications that the weight of both these scooters are almost the same (am not sure though).

Access has better brakes compared to the Activa. I find the combo brakes introduced in one of the variants of the Activa useless.

In Bangalore city driving/traffic conditions our Access has been consistently returning a mileage of 35-38 kmpl. It has never returned above
38 kmpl as per my calculations. I think the Activa returns a better mileage than the Access.

It's been 2 years now that we bought our Access and it's done 9500 km till now. It's been a hassle free ownership experience till now.

Also, the waiting period for the Access is no less than the Activa.

Checkout the Wego too. With it's bigger wheels and telescopic front suspension, it may be more comfortable and a better handler than
the above 2 scooters.
Thanks mate. It was really useful info from the horses mouth. I am sure you are enjoying your Access.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
I was in the same dilemma in May 2010, and I finally bought an Access for my daughter. The positives of the Access over the Activa are:-
  1. Better ground clearance. Have never scraped a speed-breaker so far, unlike the Kinetic Honda that we have that gives us nightmares. I am told even the Activa has big time GC issues, and am not sure if they have improved in their newer model.
  2. Telescopic front shocks
  3. Better pickup
  4. Starts with push button even on cold winters (my daughter uses it. If it were me, I'd kick-start first time in the morning)
With 8200 kims on the odo, we have not had a single issue so far. The only thing we changed were the handle grip covers. We get an FE of 37 to 42 in Hyderabad city driving. The only gripe I have is that the hook for the shopping bag is far too low on the body, so whatever I hang on it lies nearly horizontal on the scooter floor, unlike in the Kinetic Honda. Another dampener is that the scooter needs to be on the central stand if it has to be kick-started: the stand otherwise fouls with the starter. And I don't like the lock position for the handle---one needs to press the key inwards and then turn, else you will unlock the seat. Not a show stopper, but I don't find this intuitive.

The Activa, in my opinion, looks better than the Access--I mean the new model. Perhaps it has better FE, but I don't own one. I have driven my cousin's a couple of times though. No great shakes, if you ask me.

Both Activa and Access have poor headlights and not so good brakes---but hey, I've got pampered by cars for the past 2 decades, so take this with a pinch of salt. Perhaps this is a malaise with all scooters. I remember my Lamby scored far worse on these two factors.

While on this topic, I wanted to mention that the time has come for me to get another scooter---this time for my son. He rejected the Wego outright as he felt it looks like a smaller model, like the Scooty from the rear (I like it though). He was contemplating on the Activa, so that we have a different make at home. There is only an extra month of waiting for the Activa in Hyderabad---3 months instead of 2 months for the Access.

But soon after he TD'd his friend's new Activa, he decided to go for an Access. Main reason is the ground clearance. Soon after our exit gate, there is a speed-breaker which he scraped while riding doubles on the Activa. He took his sister's Access with the same person, and it cleared the hump neatly.

So now we are waiting for the second Suzuki Access---this time it is a white one compared to the existing black.
Thanks a lot for the detailed info. It was really helpful indeed. I am now considering Access more than Activa. Will show all the inputs to the wife so that i can convince her in better manner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselAddikt View Post
I own both Wego and Access. Both are used by my wife and me. The Wego gives almost 50kmpl where as Access gives a slightly less mileage of 46 to 48kmpl. Pick any one of them and you wont go wrong. Personally, I prefer Wego when I ride alone and Access when I have a pillion and that is basically because Access clearly is more powerful. But do keep in mind that Access has a jittery ride over rough surfaces and the braking is not that great at speeds above 60kmph. (In comparison to Wego and Activa)

Note: I used an Activa before buying Access and I was not happy with the service center. And yes, it had starting problems as well. Frankly, I don't understand why it has such a long waiting period !
Thanks a lot. Good that you own both bikes. Can you please tell me frankly which is better? I am looking for reliability, ride, handling, A$$ & FE. Your vote is important to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by subscrive View Post
What is the height and weight of driver (srry to be personal - but needed for suggestion)?
For hefty person activa / access is good.
For light person pep+ is good.
Also you should take into consideration whether both the feet are flat on ground comfortably. This is important especially in rainy days.
Sometimes people go for overkill when its not needed - hence suggestion of pep+.
My wife is 5.5. She can ride Activa or Access well. No problems in that area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullboy View Post
Activa has insane waiting periods coupled with pathetic attitude of sales people .This was only one reason when I walked out of a Honda showroom 5 year back and took an oath that i will never return.
In Tvm, activa waiting period is nearly 1 year depending on color choice and you are at the mercy of the dealer.

I would suggest you to check the Pleasure, I have one for nearly 5 years .The scoot is extremely nimble and have decent FE. Only con is the ride on bad roads.
It comes with old activa engine (102 cc) and is pretty reliable. I have skipped almost every service after routine service for one and a half year due to pathetic HH service quality.

One of my friend recently bought a Wego and the scoot feels pretty solid and is highly recommended, but i feel it might be slightly big for short ladies.
We both somehow dont like pleasure. We feel it as a small bike for 2+1. We generally go sometime nearby on scooter with our 3 yr old daughter. Feel its small for double sit with child along.

Thanks again all for your responses. Waiting for more
Old 2nd November 2011, 11:41   #39
BHPian

Quote:
We both somehow dont like pleasure. We feel it as a small bike for 2+1. We generally go sometime nearby on scooter with our 3 yr old daughter. Feel its small for double sit with child along
It not that really small. The seat is comfortable for 2 .I have done some trips to railway station with around 15 kgs of baggage and a pillion which i cant think of in my pulsar Lol. But there are better products available now like wego.

Last edited by bullboy : 2nd November 2011 at 11:46.
Old 2nd November 2011, 12:04   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post

Thanks a lot. Good that you own both bikes. Can you please tell me frankly which is better? I am looking for reliability, ride, handling, A$$ & FE. Your vote is important to me.
I can't comment on the reliability of either bikes. Access has covered just 13K kms and Wego has covered just over 7K kms. So far so good.

Ride, Handling, Braking and FE --> Wego it is.
A$$ --> Both are equally good/bad, but definitely better than the overcrowded Activa Service Centers (been there, done that).

Power, Stability at speeds --> Access is slightly better. But if you are not going to do longer trips, then there wont be any noticeable difference between the two.

My vote would go for Wego. Just take a test ride and see if the seat height is ok for your wife as well. Cheers !
Old 2nd November 2011, 12:21   #41
BHPian

I was in the same position for my dad who is 65+.
I'm glad we took del of WEGO,
If my dad can do it, I surely bet your wife will be more comfy to ride WEGO...

Reasons for settling on WGO
light weight,
its easy to put center stand on your scoot
engine is center weighted so it has right gravity
Old 2nd November 2011, 12:29   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys, i need some help in purchasing Scooter for my Wife. She currently using Kinetic 4S which has hell lot of problems. Parts are also not available. So we need new scooter for her.

Wife is saying she wants Activa and i am inclined towards Suzuki Access. Which is better of these 2? Or something else is better than these two? I like Access as its a very good looking, stylish, smooth & heard that its more fuel efficient than Activa. Any BHPian can throw some light on this? Which is the best available scooter in market right now?
Aniketi - A friend of mine recently cancelled the booking of his activa & got a Wego for diwali cause he didn't get the scoot even after 6mths. I think it was with Pashankar. I don't see the point in waiting so long for a scoot when Wego is available off the shelf is just as good a product if not better. I've ridden both and i seriously doubt a lady would understand the difference much beyond ease of use and looks. Plus TVS has just as many service centers so service and spares shouldn't be a problem at all.
A 6mth wait just seems besides the point when the need is today. I'm sure a scoot isn't an aspirational vehicle that is worth that kind of wait. Its a utility thats probably required by you now!!
And seriously. I'm yet to see a scoot really delivering 50kmpl consistently on road.

Last edited by Nilesh5417 : 2nd November 2011 at 12:30.
Old 2nd November 2011, 13:38   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the info. Your kinetic must of seized due to shortage of oil i guess else its a very good bike. 11K more for immediate delivery of Activa is too much. I wont go for that though i need it urgently.
My Kinetic was having its oil at max and that to of Shell oil which is the best. The mechanic who has been servicing it for 14 yrs says you need to put 20 ml of engine oil for every 1 lt of petrol. Which I haven't done even once in its life span. At IOCL pump there is a 2T mix petrol, will try it too as it has 2T oil premix with the petrol. By today evening would come to know about the expense of repairing it, will let you all know.
Brother and parents are keen only about Activa only, god knows why everyone thinks a product which has long waiting period is only good other than the product which is available of the shelf, read Wego.
The Kinetic DX is quite a special scooter for me and no matter what I'm not letting it go. Can someone explain me whats the differnece between the telescopic suspension in Wego/Access compared to Activa's suspension.
Old 2nd November 2011, 13:56   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
Can someone explain me whats the differnece between the telescopic suspension in Wego/Access compared to Activa's suspension.
Telescopic suspension is similar to the suspension found in motor bikes at the front. This will help iron out the road irregularities better than the suspension on activa/dio/kinetic etc (leading link type). The ride will be less tiresome and better balanced.

@Aniketi - Wego and Access are the pick of the lot. They ride better and have decent power to haul 2 people for in city runs and available with lesser waiting periods. All the best for your choice Happy Hunting!
Old 2nd November 2011, 14:46   #45

Dont do much research. I have already done that. Consider these before buying:
1. Wego-a) Kick start on side stand( Very very big adv. for ladies)
b) Body balance is good ( Again adv. for ladies)
c) Less resale,Engine seems to be not so refined,Still to
prove in market( Check for units sold till now )
2. Activa-a)Kick start on side stand is difficult for ladies ( Got to tilt it a
bit on other side and the kick lever touches the centre stand
during kicking). It is very difficult to put the centre stand.
b) Rear heavy scooter.
c)Honda badge/Good resale/Very smooth engine/Proven record.
d) Unisex scooter.
Check out above points in person and let it be decided by the person who will ride it.Cannot comment on "access" or any other model.

Most Viewed