Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd November 2011, 16:24   #46
BHPian

Re: Suzuki Access or Honda Activa? Or something else?

The TVS Wego is the model to go for, I have chosen that after a lot of deliberation. The waiting period on the Activa, put me off & the Suzuki Access seems quite bulky a bike. I needed a scooter for both me & my wife so this is the way to go.... Wego !
Old 2nd November 2011, 16:31   #47
BHPian

Been hunting for a gearless scoot for Dad recently. Pretty much finalised the Wego after test driving Wego, Access and then got the Aviator to admire from far (no TD). I do not drive Scoots but Dad was pretty impressed with the overall stability and balance (guess the body balance thing isn't just a gimmick) and the ride. He found it better than Access and Activa. Hope it helps.

PS: Can someone tell me how do I check the manufacturing date of the Scoot? Any pointers where I can see that info? Might pick up the Scoot tomorrow.
Old 2nd November 2011, 21:53   #48
BHPian

Re: Suzuki Access or Honda Activa for the Wife?

40+ posts now, n nobody mentioned about the pleasure. I guess its a nice scooter, my colleague's wife uses one and I have never heard any issues from him/her. Also its size is a bit on the smaller side, so should be good for ladies. Also scooty pep can be a option, as I have always felt that activa/dio/access/aviator are all too bulky and heavy for ladies. If its only meant for your wife then you should consider less bulky scooters like pleasure, pep, wego, rodeo. Go for activa/dio/access if you both are going to use it.
ravi_23 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2011, 02:14   #49
Senior - BHPian

I often hear thing about Activa engine being "refined" because it's a Honda. That's crap.

Making less noise doesn't necessarily make it "refined" engine. It does have vibrations and rarely starts with first kick (even if I exclude battery problems).

At least with Activa, there is absolutely no great shake about being Honda engine. I would say quite average one. May be it was refined, when it used to be compared with Bajaj scooter engines.

I had found Flyte engine most refined among the lot. No idea about Wego.
RX135 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2011, 02:45   #50
Senior - BHPian

My family has both - activa and access. If my mom has to take the keys, its always access. She doesn't like activa. Its heavy, its floaty (as if flying in air - her words), not good on FE and engine vibrates a lot. OTOH, Access is quite a good performer, fast and gives almost the same FE as activa. When i drove it, i also always took the keys of access and not activa. Its fun.

Also its been 2 years since we got one and no trouble so far with regular servicing. Its the most sought after gearless scooter in our family for sure.

My vote goes to access.
chevelle is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2011, 11:34   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravi_23
40+ posts now, n nobody mentioned about the pleasure. I guess its a nice scooter, my colleague's wife uses one and I have never heard any issues from him/her. Also its size is a bit on the smaller side, so should be good for ladies. Also scooty pep can be a option, as I have always felt that activa/dio/access/aviator are all too bulky and heavy for ladies.
Valid point - I think someone did mention Pleasure in this thread, though it got drowned out by Wego/Access. I have couple of friends who have Hero Pleasure and to me it looks like a good option, especially for ladies. Not much idea about FE, though I would think it would be better than the heavier Activa/Access etc. If anyone has info on FE of Pleasure, do post here as this thread is turning to be a good comparo for most of the auto-gears in the market today.

Regarding Pep, we have 1 at home, but it is not up there with the scooters being discussed here in terms of power/performance etc. It is used by my Dad just for local running around. If you are content running around at ~40kmph, want a cheaper option, don't expect instant acceleration etc, then this is an option. We never checked exact FE, but it looks to be easily in the ~45kmpl range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135
I often hear thing about Activa engine being "refined" because it's a Honda. That's crap. Making less noise doesn't necessarily make it "refined" engine. It does have vibrations and rarely starts with first kick (even if I exclude battery problems).
FIL has an Activa which I use occasionally - starting as everyone mentioned here is an issue, which I found odd given it is a Honda and quality blah blah. He always uses electric-start, while I use kick-start, which is not user-friendly and mostly jammed (reminds me of the one on our old KineticHonda).
Old 3rd November 2011, 11:42   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiloAlpha View Post
And - this is a very left-field suggestion - the Mahindra Flyte/Rodeo? I have heard they don't give very good mileage, but are very practical and good to ride.
I feel the Mahindra flyte is very light and suits to the people who are used to Pleasure/Scooty. Nice scoot it is.
Old 3rd November 2011, 11:51   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravi_23 View Post
40+ posts now, n nobody mentioned about the pleasure. I guess its a nice scooter, my colleague's wife uses one and I have never heard any issues from him/her. Also its size is a bit on the smaller side, so should be good for ladies. Also scooty pep can be a option, as I have always felt that activa/dio/access/aviator are all too bulky and heavy for ladies. If its only meant for your wife then you should consider less bulky scooters like pleasure, pep, wego, rodeo. Go for activa/dio/access if you both are going to use it.
Its already discussed. I have also seen pleasure but somehow i find it small for 2+1 people. So i am not considering it. Also looks are ok ok only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
My family has both - activa and access. If my mom has to take the keys, its always access. She doesn't like activa. Its heavy, its floaty (as if flying in air - her words), not good on FE and engine vibrates a lot. OTOH, Access is quite a good performer, fast and gives almost the same FE as activa. When i drove it, i also always took the keys of access and not activa. Its fun.

Also its been 2 years since we got one and no trouble so far with regular servicing. Its the most sought after gearless scooter in our family for sure.

My vote goes to access.
Thanks for your input. I am also inclining more and more towards access. Good to hear that lady driver from your home prefers Access over Activa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90BHP View Post
The TVS Wego is the model to go for, I have chosen that after a lot of deliberation. The waiting period on the Activa, put me off & the Suzuki Access seems quite bulky a bike. I needed a scooter for both me & my wife so this is the way to go.... Wego !
How is overall Wego's performance? What mileage you are getting? What is the price? How comfortable it is for 2+1 people? How is pickup with 2 people on board? Sorry about too many questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselAddikt View Post
I can't comment on the reliability of either bikes. Access has covered just 13K kms and Wego has covered just over 7K kms. So far so good.

Ride, Handling, Braking and FE --> Wego it is.
A$$ --> Both are equally good/bad, but definitely better than the overcrowded Activa Service Centers (been there, done that).

Power, Stability at speeds --> Access is slightly better. But if you are not going to do longer trips, then there wont be any noticeable difference between the two.

My vote would go for Wego. Just take a test ride and see if the seat height is ok for your wife as well. Cheers !
Though it is not going to be used for long rides, i will prefer with better ride & handling quality. Specially on turns. These kinda scooters are very risky on turns, water and sand on road. You can easily slips with your bike. Also i need better power in bumper to bumper traffic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilesh5417 View Post
Aniketi - A friend of mine recently cancelled the booking of his activa & got a Wego for diwali cause he didn't get the scoot even after 6mths. I think it was with Pashankar. I don't see the point in waiting so long for a scoot when Wego is available off the shelf is just as good a product if not better. I've ridden both and i seriously doubt a lady would understand the difference much beyond ease of use and looks. Plus TVS has just as many service centers so service and spares shouldn't be a problem at all.
A 6mth wait just seems besides the point when the need is today. I'm sure a scoot isn't an aspirational vehicle that is worth that kind of wait. Its a utility thats probably required by you now!!
And seriously. I'm yet to see a scoot really delivering 50kmpl consistently on road.
Waiting more than 1-2 months max for a scooter is waste. I am not going to wait for any such vehicle which will have such a ridiculous waiting periods. I also agree with you that such scooters generally give FE of 35-45 depending on driving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
My Kinetic was having its oil at max and that to of Shell oil which is the best. The mechanic who has been servicing it for 14 yrs says you need to put 20 ml of engine oil for every 1 lt of petrol. Which I haven't done even once in its life span. At IOCL pump there is a 2T mix petrol, will try it too as it has 2T oil premix with the petrol. By today evening would come to know about the expense of repairing it, will let you all know.
Brother and parents are keen only about Activa only, god knows why everyone thinks a product which has long waiting period is only good other than the product which is available of the shelf, read Wego.
The Kinetic DX is quite a special scooter for me and no matter what I'm not letting it go. Can someone explain me whats the differnece between the telescopic suspension in Wego/Access compared to Activa's suspension.
We have used kinetic for long, like more than 15 years. we never put oil with petrol and we never faced such problem. Others can also confirm this. Anyways i am eager to try Wego now with so many feed backs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoMatix View Post
Dont do much research. I have already done that. Consider these before buying:
1. Wego-a) Kick start on side stand( Very very big adv. for ladies)
b) Body balance is good ( Again adv. for ladies)
c) Less resale,Engine seems to be not so refined,Still to
prove in market( Check for units sold till now )
2. Activa-a)Kick start on side stand is difficult for ladies ( Got to tilt it a
bit on other side and the kick lever touches the centre stand
during kicking). It is very difficult to put the centre stand.
b) Rear heavy scooter.
c)Honda badge/Good resale/Very smooth engine/Proven record.
d) Unisex scooter.
Check out above points in person and let it be decided by the person who will ride it.Cannot comment on "access" or any other model.
Thanks for the input. I need scooter which will start with battery without any hassle. Thats a must. My wife dont like at all to kick start it. Honda Activa kick is pathetic for sure. It dont have power, you feel that it will not work.

Last edited by aniketi : 3rd November 2011 at 11:56.
Old 3rd November 2011, 12:49   #54

(Thanks for the input. I need scooter which will start with battery without any hassle. Thats a must. My wife dont like at all to kick start it. Honda Activa kick is pathetic for sure. It dont have power, you feel that it will not work.)

I donot know about pune, but in north india when the ambient temp. is very less ( in winter) General good operating practice first time in the morning is to open the choke and kick start the vehicle.Let the engine get warmed up and close the choke and then subsequent starts can be by self start. You know how it will help and it comes in my daily morning chores.
I think this will be advised by any brand of self start vehicle dealers .Check this point and keep it in mind.
AutoMatix is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2011, 14:56   #55
BHPian

I will also recommend the ACCESS over ACTIVA for its Ride and handling.
Activa uses a similar suspension setup at front as the Kinetic honda, which i feel is not giving a safer feel on braking. Telescopic fork setup is much better.

This is based on my experience with Actava from the day it was introduced in India ( and we own 3 activas in our family) and limited experience with my friends Access. Ride and handling in the Access was much better than Activa.
Old 3rd November 2011, 15:08   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoMatix
General good operating practice first time in the morning is to open the choke and kick start the vehicle.Let the engine get warmed up and close the choke and then subsequent starts can be by self start. I think this will be advised by any brand of self start vehicle dealers.
This is indeed the recommended practice for most (if not all) auto-bikes. Though I doubt whether we need to use the choke, unless necessary. Another advantage of using kick-start for the 1st start in the morning, is that it avoids strain on the battery, leading to longer battery life.

But ofcourse, while we guys religiously follow this, women like to do it the easy/simple way, which is to press the push-start. Same goes for the elderly - my FIL never uses the kick-start and even asks me to use the push-start. This could be one of the reasons for the kick-start in his Activa being jammed.

@aniketi, IMO you should give the Pleasure also a look along with Access and Wego. Since most of the use is for your wife, it should be perfect. And no issues with carrying 2 & a kid too. But if you both don't like the looks, then well it is out.
Old 3rd November 2011, 17:02   #57
BHPian

Quote:
But ofcourse, while we guys religiously follow this, women like to do it the easy/simple way, which is to press the push-start. Same goes for the elderly - my FIL never uses the kick-start and even asks me to use the push-start.
Youngesters also dont do it. When I bought my bike I used to kick start in mornings.After two-three months I got bored and never used kick start the OEM exide lasted for 5.5 years and went kaput due to a faulty rectifier.
Our pleasure will need choke input to start,its a headache to start it.once warmed up its quiet ok.
Old 3rd November 2011, 17:24   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoMatix View Post
I donot know about pune, but in north india when the ambient temp. is very less ( in winter) General good operating practice first time in the morning is to open the choke and kick start the vehicle.Let the engine get warmed up and close the choke and then subsequent starts can be by self start. You know how it will help and it comes in my daily morning chores.
I think this will be advised by any brand of self start vehicle dealers .Check this point and keep it in mind.
Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
This is indeed the recommended practice for most (if not all) auto-bikes. Though I doubt whether we need to use the choke, unless necessary. Another advantage of using kick-start for the 1st start in the morning, is that it avoids strain on the battery, leading to longer battery life.

But ofcourse, while we guys religiously follow this, women like to do it the easy/simple way, which is to press the push-start. Same goes for the elderly - my FIL never uses the kick-start and even asks me to use the push-start. This could be one of the reasons for the kick-start in his Activa being jammed.

@aniketi, IMO you should give the Pleasure also a look along with Access and Wego. Since most of the use is for your wife, it should be perfect. And no issues with carrying 2 & a kid too. But if you both don't like the looks, then well it is out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullboy View Post
Youngesters also dont do it. When I bought my bike I used to kick start in mornings.After two-three months I got bored and never used kick start the OEM exide lasted for 5.5 years and went kaput due to a faulty rectifier.
Our pleasure will need choke input to start,its a headache to start it.once warmed up its quiet ok.
I dont know why, but all these scooters has bad self start system. All are modern still they have issues. I will give you my example. I am using Pulsar 180 for last more than 4 years. I rarely use kick to start the bike. Even in winters i do button start. In all these years i never face a single issue. Battery is also intact and original. No fuse changed. Where as these scooters gives some problem. Why cant manufacturer make good scooters like todays bikes which are almost maintenance free apart from regular servicing? I guess all bikes like Bajaj, TVS, Yamaha & HH are almost maintenance free, at least for first few (5-7) years.

Any issue with access or wego as far as self start is concerned? Hows battery life for it?
Old 3rd November 2011, 17:44   #59
Senior - BHPian

I went for the Wego for my wife about 7 months back. The running has been pretty low. We have done the 3 free services so far. Close to 1000 Kms. The bike performs pretty well. Acceleration is good after the 3rd service. Its quite stable even on speed breakers. Center stand parking is a breeze. Have'nt exactly measured the mileage but I guess its close to some 40-42.
But the service center is a bit careless.
1. They nicely scratched the front handle housing above the Headlight.
2. The teflon coating is a scam. Looks more like a layer of oil.
3. The Headlight throw is not very satisfactory.
4. Push button start does not work well in the mornings (Its become better after the last service)
5. They still haven't been able to set the brakes right. Its either to tight or loose.
6. And oh yes, they also stole some 2.5 to 3 litres of petrol during service. And when we said that the fuel indicator is showing empty, he gave some drab that it will indicate accurately after a 20 kms run. This is the TVS service center near Bangalore Baptist Hospital on Bellary Road. I guess other service centers could be better/ worse.
But overall, its been a good purchase. I would recommend the Wego over Activa, which has an overhyped 8-9 months waiting.
Old 3rd November 2011, 22:12   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post

How is overall Wego's performance? What mileage you are getting? What is the price? How comfortable it is for 2+1 people? How is pickup with 2 people on board? Sorry about too many questions
I am yet to get the bike so can't comment on some of these things.
The mileage is around 40-43 Kmpl. Pickup is decent enough for 2 people, in line with the activa but, the engine feels strained after a point. Not tried or want to try the 2+1 setup. Let me get back to you about the price, my bro booked it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks