Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th November 2011, 20:41   #1
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Running errands has never been this much fun !!

Being a hardcore DIY enthusiast I run around a lot to hardware stores and machine shops and often these are in tiny lanes where going in a car is a drag and taking a Harley into some areas of the town draws too much attention.

Many years ago I rode a automatic scooter and loved it. I found it to be a brilliant urban commute. So when I felt the need to get something to run errands I thought of getting an Activa.

Then I thought, even if its errands why not have some fun. I've been a Royal Enfield fan for ages and even to this day I always tune into a RE passing by enjoying its thump. When the new 500 Classic was released I went to the showroom and checked it out. A few months ago I got a chance to ride one and really liked the ride.

I liked the finish and look of the 500 and so this August I went into the showroom and put down a small deposit. I was told it would take 6-7 months. I was in no hurry to get one so I booked a black Classic 500.

Last Saturday as I was walking around my place of work doing my usual hunting for odd bits required for some restoration work I am doing, as I passed the showroom I stepped in and chatted the sales exec saying " See if you can get me a black 500 soon"

No sooner did I return to my office I got a call from the showroom

"If we organise a black Classic 500 can you pick it up right away?" said the lady owner of the showrooom on the line

"Yes but I guess I need to wait for the cheque to clear, so I can take it next week once it clears?" I said, expecting them to agree on that

"Not really, you are welcome to take it home this evening before the cheque clears, we'll finish the PDI soon"

Wow, I guess being in the automotive industry helps as its rare for a showroom to deliver on cheque. Not believing I was going to get the bike against cheque I actually called from home saying "Am taking an auto to come over, do I get the bike today?"

"Yes" was the answer and this is what I rode back home last Saturday evening !! A gorgeous new Royal Enfield Classic 500

Running errands has never been this much fun !!-img_0639.jpg

Running errands has never been this much fun !!-img_0642.jpg

Running errands has never been this much fun !!-img_0637.jpg

Running errands has never been this much fun !!-img_0636.jpg

Running errands has never been this much fun !!-img_0635.jpg

Running errands has never been this much fun !!-img_0628.jpg

Running errands has never been this much fun !!-img_0627.jpg

Running errands has never been this much fun !!-img_0640.jpg

Running errands has never been this much fun !!-img_0641.jpg

As I rode home I couldn't help but smile. The RE Classic 500 is a very refined bike. It rides smooth and has a lovely suspension that soaks up road imperfections brilliantly. The ride quality is actually impressive.

When I reached home I realised the battery had run dry and it wouldn't start with the self starter. So I took the battery out and charged it overnight thinking a hurried PDI may have overlooked this aspect. It ran okay the next few days but frequent night riding with headlamps drained the battery out again. I pulled out a volt meter and checked the charging and discovered the charge current wasn't reaching the battery. Took the bike back to the dealer and by evening they fixed the problem. It was a earth that was short circuiting the generator.

Yesterday as I scooted around town on an errand which required me to go into congested and tiny lanes I knew this was the perfect solution ! Gone are the days when I had to park my car in far away lanes and walk a distance to a shop in a congested lane. I rode up to the shop on one of the busiest of intersections, finished my work and was out in a breeze ! I had found my perfect errand bike. And the best part is it looks great, rides very well and sounds delightful !

The first thing I did was to take the pillion seat off. Will get the saree guard off too. Planning on designing some super attractive paniers for the 500

Last edited by DKG : 13th November 2011 at 21:02.
DKG is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 13th November 2011, 21:24   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Running errands has never been this much fun !!

She looks amazing, congrats on your new ride. A 2 wheeler is a boon in our congested cities. But 7 months waiting for a bike? Man, its a monopolistic market for Enfield.
Lalvaz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2011, 21:24   #3
BHPian

Congratulations! On the new ride. Looking forward to read the initial ride report.
It is quite unbelievable that you got the bike on the same day and that to your cheque has not been cleared yet.
I know a someone who was willing to pay a premium on the on road price, to get the bike as early as possible but the dealer politely refused.
And 1 more thing i would like to add is after buying this bike people start collecting information about long rides ironically you are using this for running errands.
iron is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2011, 21:30   #4
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iron View Post
after buying this bike people start collecting information about long rides ironically you are using this for running errands.
lol that's half the story ! I do intend to use the 500 for my India travels. Hopefully this coming year will do atleast two long trips. But on a day to day basis its fun to use it for errands and I love the convenience of being able to park in front of shop !

This August when I drove through Patnitop near Jammu I told myself I should be back there on a bike. I plan on taking my 500 there now !

Last edited by DKG : 13th November 2011 at 21:32.
DKG is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2011, 21:33   #5
Senior - BHPian

umm, it must be owning the HOG that made you buy a bull 500 for urban commute and errands!

esp when most other people would've thought activa like u mention! Love your DIY with the car battery - i have an almost dead car battery - need to sort it out this weekend!
Old 13th November 2011, 21:47   #6
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
umm, it must be owning the HOG that made you buy a bull 500 for urban commute and errands!
You relish Hyderabadi biryani the most when you don't have it everyday !!!
DKG is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th November 2011, 22:59   #7
Senior - BHPian

Looks amazing, Congrats , the Harley gets some Indian company now.
coolboy007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2011, 23:28   #8
Team-BHP Support

DKG, am sure you need someone responsible to look after the older Thar now. You know whom to call but jokes apart you are indeed on a shopping spree!

Last but not the least! Congratulations! I really like the low stance of the new Enfield.
Jaggu is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2011, 23:44   #9
BHPian

DKG,

Congrats on getting the Enfield ! I too have a year old booking and am toying with the idea of just making this a second bike (I also have the Ninja 650) instead of canceling the booking.
Happy riding !
plimsollmark is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2011, 02:44   #10
BHPian

I booked twice and got it cancelled. Now in October I booked a black Classic 500 for the third time. I have a feeling that I might not cancel this time, unless Triumph comes before. As per Randhawa and co, most problems have been sorted out. I used to find a lot of Classic 500s at my mech's place... with broken sprang clutch and stuff. Now not many are there. Hope you have a smooth ride DKG. Now I will also go to the showroom and see if I can get one like you...
Leepower is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2011, 14:47   #11
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Deepak. Im jelous of your garage now, One CJ3B, One Thar, One Harley and One Classic 500 RE......amongst other vintage, classics and regulars. A man after my own heart.

Ive been contemplating getting a Harley. Test rode the Iron883 and was disappointed by the way she sounded, appalled when she bottomed out on every bump and was petrified when the exhausts nearly scraped on the road during a turn. If i have to keep all these things in mind, id never enjoy the Harley so cut it out. Then my cousin got a Ninja and i got really excited, though im not much of a sports bike guy, rode it and again was disappointed by the exhaust note. sounded a lot like the smaller 125 cc bikes more so like the Karisma. Its got a whack but i missed the sound and responsiveness of my Ex, a Ninja 900 in the good old days when it was released. Scary it was too. The new Ninja is not a shade of that. It doesnt sound, look or even respond rightly.....well thats my take. So that leaves only the RD350, a bike not available easily nor a vfm and finding parts is a nightmare so the "Bullet Meri Jaan" is my choice. Though im not looking for a brand new onwe, ill settle for a pre owned one with low mileage and im sure ill find one. It may not be a classic but a Bullet is a Bullet. The exhaust note for one, will never disappoint me.

You enjoy your bike and post a report soon. If i get that bike on time, am thinking of a long ride on it somewhere sometime. Awesome buy!!
V-16 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2011, 17:47   #12
BHPian

DKG, Congrats on the buy. Wish you have a hassle free ride.
Having owned 2 RE's , I feel like RE is one that gets so much attached to the owner for some reason.

Didn't you opt for Off Road exhaust ?
IMO, it suits the C5 better than the long one. But again, It's your choice as per your like's.

Would also like to know what cars you own?

so the current garage has VFR 1000, HOG, RE C5, CJ3b, THAR,TATA Mini Truck, Chevy AVEO and what else ?

Last edited by BulZire : 14th November 2011 at 17:50.
BulZire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2011, 18:04   #13
BHPian

Congratulations, DKG.

Having driven a friends C500 a couple of times, I must say its one of the finest bikes that RE has produced. May I suggest you go in for the off-road exhaust (as what RE calls) and you would enjoy the thump more. I personally feel the stock exhaust has now become quite silent.

I must say, you have one of the most varied and impressive garage.

Good luck riding the Classic.

Cheers,
Ardy
Ardy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2011, 19:48   #14
Senior - BHPian

Wow !!! Neat bike.
And indeed for the congested gallis, nothing like a bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKG
Wow, I guess being in the automotive industry helps as its rare for a showroom to deliver on cheque.
I believe this is a fairly common practice. In 2001, we rode out a Scooty (from Ramkay TVS, Chennai) after handing over the cheque. Like you, I also expected to get the bike only after the cheque was encashed, but they cooly asked us to take the bike home.

Sort of like we were surprised when the 2-wheeler rental guy in Goa handed over an almost new HH-Passion to us for 3 days without asking for any ID proof or driving-license. If a rental-guy gives out bikes for rent like this in Chennai, pretty soon he would not be left with any bikes to rent.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 14th November 2011 at 19:50.
Old 14th November 2011, 19:56   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardy View Post
Congratulations, DKG.

May I suggest you go in for the off-road exhaust (as what RE calls) and you would enjoy the thump more
What exactly is this off-road exhaust??? Is it that upward tilted one??? A goldstar silencer will give C500 a good thump.

Last edited by Leepower : 14th November 2011 at 19:57.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks