Team-BHP - P220 disc-pads
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Motorbikes (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/)
-   -   P220 disc-pads (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/111178-p220-disc-pads.html)

hi,
I have a question for gurus, what is the ideal time for changing disc-pads for Pulsar 220. Is it purely function of usage or the time interval...
I have my bike clocking close to 9k and SA at the Probiking Service is insisting to replace both disc-pads as they have worn out and are damaging the discs. How technically is it true? I have inspected discs visually and by touch that the surface is even atleast dont see any aberration of the disc.

My Zen clocked nearly 50k never got its pads changed nor discs! P220 doesnt have the Beiber ones but still want to know.

thanks in advance
--PT

There is a wear indicator on the brake pads. See your vehicle's user manual and it will specify how to check for wear and tear warranting a change.

Basically there is a groove on the pads which is in the center. As the depth of the line/groove becomes lesser its time to change the pads.

9K is common. My disc pads wear out within 5K KMs.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SunnyBoi (Post 2582041)

^^ True, it all depends on the usage. There is no fixed kilometer range on the pads. After the advent of disc brakes in our market, many bikers tend to use the front brake more often, hence the wear.

And besides they hardly cost anything so why take chances on braking which is as essential as is a helmet.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SunnyBoi (Post 2582041)

9k and 5k for changing the disc pads..??
Suddenly you guys have got me worried. :Shockked:

My HH Hunk has crossed 25k and I haven't changed the disc pads.
No significant loss of braking power is noticed yet.
Its been a year since I have purchased the bike.

95% of the riding is done on highway, at speeds averaging 80 kmph.(this is just to give a clue as to what the brake pads are going thru when applied).

We also owned a Bajaj Caliber Croma(with front disc) for 10 years, odo had crossed 90k kms. Had changed the disc pads just twice.

I seriously think that the SA is taking you for a ride. Would suggest to get a second opinion.(from some other service center, or a trusted mechanic).

Thanks
diesel_power

If you dont believe the SA - go to any local mechanic you know and tell him to get the pads out of if you cant see the wear grooves - take his opinion.

As it is, last i know the front+rear brake pads cost 450 for the 220 in Delhi and i would suggest you to get it replaced. Mine has done 9k and needs a replacement which i will get done next week, 220 pads wear out usually around the 9-10k mark but it all depends on riding style.

450 is not worth so much hassle especially when your safety is concerned :)

Replacement depends on two factors, thickness of friction pad left & their physical condition. Most mfrs suggest 2mm as min required & pads be free of chip off, cut-cracks or much uneven wear.

Edit: good to see someone's pad lasting 25k. Mine of Bullet at 24k, pads started parting off back plates though had enough thickness left. Better keep a watch on those.

Well, I only use front brakes on my bikes. So the 5K life.

PS: Pulsar pads cost hardly 100-130rs (KBX and ETS Calipers. No idea on bybre ones)

Hi, its not that surprising to see the brake pads wear out in less than 10k. Since you have the old KBX calliper, the top portion is open which makes the pad collect a lot of dirt and grime. I have the same brakes. I have noticed that a lot of dirt gets from that portion and in effect reduces the pad's efficiency. My stock rear pad lasted around 9k and the next set lasted only 7k. Another reason for such a low life for my brake pads, is that i regularly use brake cleaner on the entire braking unit. These tend to accelerate the wearing off of the pads. So do check the wear indicator on the pads.

Hi Gurus,
Thanks a lot for your quick replies, postponed changing the pads for now, will change it after taking a second opinion...
The P220 is my daily commute and I drive on quite busy roads of namma Bengaluru and frankly breaks are abused! Although I use combination of front and rear breaks, plus add all the dust/soil during rains adding to the abuse.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PowerTrained (Post 2582394)
Hi Gurus,
Thanks a lot for your quick replies, postponed changing the pads for now, will change it after taking a second opinion...
The P220 is my daily commute and I drive on quite busy roads of namma Bengaluru and frankly breaks are abused! Although I use combination of front and rear breaks, plus add all the dust/soil during rains adding to the abuse.

Brakes really have to go thru too much on busy roads.
Use engine braking while applying brakes, it really makes a lot of difference. :thumbs up

Quote:

Originally Posted by PowerTrained (Post 2582006)
hi,
I have a question for gurus, what is the ideal time for changing disc-pads for Pulsar 220. Is it purely function of usage or the time interval...
I have my bike clocking close to 9k and SA at the Probiking Service is insisting to replace both disc-pads as they have worn out and are damaging the discs. How technically is it true? I have inspected discs visually and by touch that the surface is even atleast dont see any aberration of the disc.

My Zen clocked nearly 50k never got its pads changed nor discs! P220 doesnt have the Beiber ones but still want to know.

thanks in advance
--PT

You dont need to replace the disc pad until it is completely worn out, there will be a grinding sound like metal rubbing against metal, the moment bike does that replace the disc pad immediately.