Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th November 2011, 09:11   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Re Sleeving the cylinder

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great View Post
I will surely find out about Mahesh tuning works... Btw i am specifically looking for my Yamaha 135 - 5 speed engine.

More-so the thread does shed light on the re sleeving option as the cylinders of older vehicles are rare to find.. for ex my friends old Morris for which now we are planning a omni engine. But if resleeving is a possibility then there is nothing like it.
Do that. you may get lucky. Even Vijay Mallya's vintage car engine parts are sent there. What morris? Post in the vintage section you will get answers on that car there.
deutscheafrikar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2011, 12:21   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Buddie, you ought to get the RX 135 barrels which would still be in stock with a few spare parts shops. Do let me know if you need any help in sourcing one and I can check with a few guys who might be having them.

Well i am having a tough time finding the barrel. Rx135 5 speed barrels were costing Rs. 3700/- just over a year ago but now the costs have gone up more than 10k. Which is not sensible.

Hence the re sleeving dilemma.

Spending money is not a problem but then i guess its us who are making the stockists more encouraged to buy in bulk and sell at premium. (For the engine barrels).

But that is a really nice gesture sir if you can check about the cylinders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deutscheafrikar View Post
Do that. you may get lucky. Even Vijay Mallya's vintage car engine parts are sent there. What morris? Post in the vintage section you will get answers on that car there.

It seems that he is only into 4 wheeler sleevings. Have heard good craftsmanship about his work though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
Sleeving when done right runs as well if not better than stock. I'm running a sleeved cylinder since a year (was re-sleeved a month ago). I'm using a sleeve that is harder than stock sleeves, hence I get more life out of them. However, the ports have to be matched to get the same performance. I spent around 3 days with various files to fix the ports, harder sleeve does not help at all.

Ok i did not get your point here sir. You have a harder sleeve and you are not suggesting to get the harder ones??

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorpsycho View Post
For FAQ click here

A video of re-sleeving by Ken Konnar racing

sleeve part 1.wmv - YouTube
Great video... super knowledgeable.

Last edited by GTO : 26th November 2011 at 14:00. Reason: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another!
Old 26th November 2011, 13:34   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It seems that he is only into 4 wheeler sleevings. Have heard good craftsmanship about his work though.
any engine that runs on motorcycle of two wheels or a car of four wheels he will do, two stroke or four stroke, and even if an engine runs in a boat which moves on water he does that too. yes his work is good

Last edited by deutscheafrikar : 26th November 2011 at 13:47.
deutscheafrikar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2011, 19:39   #19
Senior - BHPian

Re: Re Sleeving the cylinder of a 2 Stroke Engine

Quote:
But that is a really nice gesture sir if you can check about the cylinders.
Hello,
have PMed you all the details both around your RD query and RX 135 Cylinders. Do let me know if you face any difficulties.
ku69rd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2011, 06:54   #20
BHPian

@The Great, I am not aware of the present situation but decades ago there would be lots of workshops in Mumbai where re-sleeving, boring, honing, piston re-working were done routinely using specialized machinery from Denmark and such.
The sleeve should be neither harder nor softer, as far as I know. One place I can remember from old times is "Bharat Boring Works", Madhani Estate, Tulsi Pipe Road, Dadar. This place would be on the Tulsi Pipe Road between Elphinstone Road Station and Dadar Station, if it still exists. Another place was "Bombay Boring Works" near Jacob Circle a.k.a. "Saat Rasta". Sorry again, I am not aware of the present situation.
gostel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2011, 08:25   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
resleeve if you can't get the next oversize piston or if the final oversize is worn out and you can't get a new barrel / cylinder. I've resleeved my BMW's years ago.
for a two stroke the ports need to be cut before the sleeve is inserted into the cylinder. If you want to see how it's done you can visit my friend at his shivaji park workshop.
This resleeve thing started from Delhi in early seventies it was to cut cost for new sleeves although they were available.
Ta shivaji park you mean to say Mahesh's w/s on road no.5, if he is the person you are talking about then you are speaking about a master in reboring,resleeveing,head repairs etc etc.Ihave been observing for almost 30 yrs. He is also into work on performance cars too.
IQBAL VEERJI is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2011, 10:00   #22
BANNED

What oversize you are running as of now, as RX135 can take easily 2 mm over the stock bore, so don't waste the barrel with local lathe guys, just go for the next over size, pistons are available. Or re sleeve it to big bore, I am using one RXZ with 65 mm wiseco piston, which comes close to 165 cc.
Matching the ports to the factory spec is not easy job, pre fabricated RD350 sleeves in US costs over 300$ for a pair which is almost same as buying used set of barrels.
Ajaybiz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2011, 10:26   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajaybiz View Post
What oversize you are running as of now, as RX135 can take easily 2 mm over the stock bore, so don't waste the barrel with local lathe guys, just go for the next over size, pistons are available. Or re sleeve it to big bore, I am using one RXZ with 65 mm wiseco piston, which comes close to 165 cc.
Matching the ports to the factory spec is not easy job, pre fabricated RD350 sleeves in US costs over 300$ for a pair which is almost same as buying used set of barrels.

Yes i am aware of the fact that big bore pistons are also available after the 4th oversize.

The main point of starting this thread was to enlighten the subject of re-sleeving.

There arent many articles or descriptions to follow over the net. Hence this thread would become the blue print for people wanting to know about 2 stroke re sleeving procedures and the experiences faced by fellow tbhpian's.
Old 5th December 2011, 13:54   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IQBAL VEERJI View Post
shivaji park you mean to say Mahesh's w/s on road no.5, if he is the person you are talking about then you are speaking about a master in reboring,resleeveing,head repairs etc etc.Ihave been observing for almost 30 yrs. He is also into work on performance cars too.
Yep the same Mahesh. I first met him in the mid eighties. He was my Dad's friend and my dad used to give him a lot of machining jobs. Now he's a good friend of mine and I see to it that he does any little machining I need. He has a good hand and one can notice such things. Yes Chubi Lalwani too sends a lot of engines, I guess they are VM (Herbertsons Vehicles) Small place, good work and a good friend... So now I will get him to do some work on my BMW's.

Last edited by deutscheafrikar : 5th December 2011 at 13:57.
deutscheafrikar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th December 2011, 18:10   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Yep the same Mahesh. I first met him in the mid eighties. He was my Dad's friend and my dad used to give him a lot of machining jobs. Now he's a good friend of mine and I see to it that he does any little machining I need. He has a good hand and one can notice such things. Yes Chubi Lalwani too sends a lot of engines, I guess they are VM (Herbertsons Vehicles) Small place, good work and a good friend... So now I will get him to do some work on my BMW's.
Yes dear to be very correct he is MAHESH POWALE. Simple down to earth guy, very freindly natured and respects the guys who know technologies of automobiles He used to do works for Farhaad Bathena in those years of Himalyan Ralley .
My self used to watch him work on the peformance engines, in face he knows our Team Bhpian VIPER sir ji very well.
IQBAL VEERJI is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th February 2012, 14:59   #26
BHPian

Successfully installed a new sleeve on the current bore. Slightly polished the ports too. The work done is really fab and i must say the precision he was carrying out on the job was immaculate. The bike is in rebuild stage and i will keep this post updated with the status of riding a sleeved bore.
Old 10th February 2012, 16:51   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Successfully installed a new sleeve on the current bore.
Glad you are satisfied with the output, hopefully the performance exceeds your requirements. Would be looking forward for your inputs on the riding experiences.
ku69rd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2012, 09:33   #28
Senior - BHPian

See the pic below...

This is the sleeve in which the piston moves up & down; this is the one that gets often rebored (enlarged) to accommodate larger pistons due to wear & tear of the piston movement.

When the walls of this sleeve gets thinner & thinner due to rebore, time comes up finally when this sleeve itself is to be changed & another sleeve (that can accommodate stock or any other size piston) is forced into the cylinder, which is called sleeving.

IMHO, never opt to sleeve because, nothing matches the original sleeve that comes out of the factory. Even if it does, nothing can beat the original press & heat combination of the sleeve & bore from the factory & this is why the OE cylinder kit lasts longer than the sleeved ones.
aargee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2012, 13:57   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
See the pic below...

This is the sleeve in which the piston moves up & down; this is the one that gets often rebored (enlarged) to accommodate larger pistons due to wear & tear of the piston movement.

When the walls of this sleeve gets thinner & thinner due to rebore, time comes up finally when this sleeve itself is to be changed & another sleeve (that can accommodate stock or any other size piston) is forced into the cylinder, which is called sleeving.

IMHO, never opt to sleeve because, nothing matches the original sleeve that comes out of the factory. Even if it does, nothing can beat the original press & heat combination of the sleeve & bore from the factory & this is why the OE cylinder kit lasts longer than the sleeved ones.
Nice info on the sleeves sir.

It is true with any part of the bike that nothing matches the original. May it be sleeves or simple parts like the nuts and bolts.

But the fact also remains that sleeving is one option if the new cylinders are not available with the manufacturer. And or, is being sold by stockists at an absurd rate.

Hence it cannot be ruled out for people like me who do not want extreme power of drag races or any race specs. I just want to enjoy the 2 stroke experience @ affordable cost. The sleeving hardly costs 1k and it sure is an option for collectors. Untill new barrels arrive from the factory !!
Old 13th February 2012, 16:56   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Successfully installed a new sleeve on the current bore. Slightly polished the ports too. The work done is really fab and i must say the precision he was carrying out on the job was immaculate. .
Where did you get it done? What about cyl bore honing? was it done with vitrified stone or the Flex Hone?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks