Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 28th November 2011, 16:00   #16
BHPian

re: The "Splendid" Hero Honda Splendor - 12 years, one lakh KM up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
He says the following inner components will be changed ;

a) Crankshaft
b) Bore/Piston assembly
c) Valve kit
d)Timing chain
e) Clutch plate
f) valve guide
g) Bearings (5 no.s)
Gansan, His list is perfect. You may probably add the packing kit and a litre of oil, to complete the list. With age the valves, valve seats, valve guides also tend to wear, resulting in seepage of oil into the cylinder. Replace ALL and only with original parts. All components have done the same age and similar wear & tear, so I dont see a point in opening and inspecting to re-use old parts with the new parts. At last he open the engine completely, and why would we want him to open again to replace some older part which was not replaced in the engine overhaul exercise?
Is the carburettor in perfect order, I means isn't there a wear out on the slide or barrel? Ask him to check that as well.
Regarding the price, you may have a comparison with a few mechanics around there.
ilangop is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2011, 16:12   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilangop View Post
Is the carburettor in perfect order, I means isn't there a wear out on the slide or barrel? Ask him to check that as well.
Regarding the price, you may have a comparison with a few mechanics around there.
This is the A.S.S where I go regularly. I am loathe to give the bike to small set-ups for such jobs. Anyway I have three months to decide. They called me just now and said the bike is ready!
Old 28th November 2011, 20:43   #18
Senior - BHPian

Nice review, Gansan.

The Splendour is the bike I almost bought in '95 when I got my 1st bike. I was looking at a Suzuki Max100, but the 2-3 months waiting period brought me to HH. Splendour had just been released and I liked the looks of the bike. Checked around for opinion and being a new bike, not many people I knew had it and some even said it is not safe to buy the new one since it could possibly fail (a la the Sleek). So chose the safe option of CD100 and never regretted it for the 1lakh kms and 15 years I used it before selling it last year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan
I need an opinion from you guys; has anyone done this engine kit change job? Will it be worthwhile? They are saying it will last 50k KM
My friend has done it for his Splendour - before he went for it, I told him not to go for it (sounded like a scam). He went ahead and from the way the bike rides, it looks like 8K down the drain. He mentioned some other of our colleagues owning Splendours who also have got this done. Inspite of doing 1lakh kms on my CD100, I never had to do any engine-kit change and the bike was as good as ever - but then I never visited the A.S.S after the free services were over, so they had no way to propogate the scam to me. I would just change the oil myself every 3K kms, clean the air-filter at regular intervals and do other such regular maintenance.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 28th November 2011 at 20:45.
supremeBaleno is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2011, 21:17   #19
BHPian

Re: Splendid Splendor - (almost ) 12 years, 96000 KM

Quote:
I bought her on 19/02/2000 from Southern Auto, Chennai.
@Gansan - What a coincidence, i bought my splendor in June or July 2000 from Sourthern Auto, Chennai and I still have it.
Didn't the splendor come with Orange stripes at that time? mine were of this type, may be the sticker pattern changed after you bought.
Old 28th November 2011, 21:22   #20
Senior - BHPian

Around June'00 there was a design change for compliance with stricter emission norms. If you check closely, you will see a thick tube running from the carburetor to the exhaust manifold. This set up is missing in mine. From this batch onwards the orange stripes started, I think.
Old 28th November 2011, 21:42   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
My friend has done it for his Splendour - before he went for it, I told him not to go for it (sounded like a scam). He went ahead and from the way the bike rides, it looks like 8K down the drain. He mentioned some other of our colleagues owning Splendours who also have got this done. Inspite of doing 1lakh kms on my CD100, I never had to do any engine-kit change and the bike was as good as ever - but then I never visited the A.S.S after the free services were over, so they had no way to propogate the scam to me. I would just change the oil myself every 3K kms, clean the air-filter at regular intervals and do other such regular maintenance.
I will keep that in mind. I intend to speak to some of the guys who carried out this job from this particular workshop. They are giving only three months parts warranty and two free services. But there definitely is some issue with the engine, as I need to top-up ~ 150 ML of oil every week.

When I checked with my friend working the A.S.S, he said he had not come across any issues / failures after the job so far. According to him the current crop of HH bikes are just a patch on the earlier ones, and in his opinion it will be worthwhile to restore this bike. He has a point - my BIL bought a new Splendor with alloy wheels a couple of years back. It just delivers FE in the mid fifties, while even my "end of life" engine gives 62 KMPL.
Old 28th November 2011, 22:29   #22
Senior - BHPian

Took delivery of the bike this evening. Runs smooth and eager as ever, after the service and oil change. Parts replaced;

Lock/Key set (Rs 520.00) since they ignition key hole had become wide. Sometimes the ignition will not come on, other times the key will fall of even when ignition was on! The locks on the side shields also have to be changed in tandem, since one key fits all.

Throttle cable, spark plug and brake shoes were also replaced. An additional can of engine oil was also purchased, for weekly replenishment!

Total bill was Rs 1940.00.
Old 28th November 2011, 23:09   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
According to him the current crop of HH bikes are just a patch on the earlier ones, and in his opinion it will be worthwhile to restore this bike. He has a point - my BIL bought a new Splendor with alloy wheels a couple of years back. It just delivers FE in the mid fifties, while even my "end of life" engine gives 62 KMPL.
I think the talk of your friend in the A.S.S is all hogwash. He just wants you to spend on parts so that he takes his commission, this is very common in A.S.S.
BTW, if your bike is still returning 62kmpl (original being 74kmpl). I don't think it has any engine problems at all, why bother ? Like some people here said, take it to an independent garage and just change the rings, that should solve your oil drinking problems, you do not seem to have any other problems with the splendid splendor.

Quote:
Took delivery of the bike this evening. Runs smooth and eager as ever, after the service and oil change.

See, I told you so.

Quote:
Total bill was Rs 1940.00.
Now you remind me of my Kinetic Honda !!
Old 27th December 2011, 10:21   #24
Senior - BHPian

Guys, a sudden thought came to me. If I decide to do an engine job on this bike, is there a possibility of installing a larger displacement kit - say 125 cc or so - and make it a sleeper bike? That will be fun, and I would not mind any resulting drop in FE!
Old 27th December 2011, 11:50   #25
BANNED

Keep it stock and get rebore job done as for 4 stroke bikes reboring doesn't required that perfection it works out well. Best is send it to Bangalore if you know someone over here for perfect rebore job.
Smoking 4 stroke is not a good sign, bike sure needed the engine work.
Old 19th March 2012, 19:49   #26
BHPian

I am very impressed by your review. It is so articulate and well detailed. And I am truly inspired by you to take extra care of my vehicles. Reading this I have already finalized my decision to purchase the trusty and reliable Splendor. Good for my short height too.
May you have many more years with your Splendy!
Old 19th March 2012, 20:43   #27
Senior - BHPian

Thanks! And welcome to TBHP! Good decision there to go for the Splendor. As of now it is 98800 KM and counting. I have decided not to re-bore. And new bike plans have been pushed back by at least another six months! As and when it materializes, it surely won't be a 100 cc! The CBR 250 R or the RE 500 perhaps!

Oh, the mileage has dropped to about 52 KMPL nowadays.

Last edited by Gansan : 19th March 2012 at 20:49.
Old 19th March 2012, 20:57   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But there definitely is some issue with the engine, as I need to top-up ~ 150 ML of oil every week.
All you need is a new set of piston rings and a good bore honing!

You are wasting your money and harming the environment by burning 150 ml of oil per week.

Not to mention the carbon deposits from burning oil will ruin the internals of the engine.
Old 19th March 2012, 21:02   #29
Senior - BHPian

I agree! But I am gunning for a milestone - the 100k KM mark, after which the bike will be retired! Just another 1200 KM to go!

I have taken three different opinions and all three have ruled out piston ring job! That stage is clearly past!
Old 20th March 2012, 01:11   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have taken three different opinions and all three have ruled out piston ring job! That stage is clearly past!
What did they say was the problem, after ruling the rings out?

If its drinking oil, Its either the rings or the valve guides...no matter what anyone says.

They like to change out the other parts because those parts have only (maybe) 10 - 20% life left in them and replacing everything in one shot will save you from opening the engine repeatedly.

Most Viewed