Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 8th February 2013, 19:50   #91
Senior - BHPian

re: The "Splendid" Hero Honda Splendor! 20+ years and 150,000 km up!

I just checked the Shell LubeMatch feature available on the site and Shell Advance Ultra is very much recommended for the Honda Unicorn and the specifications sheet also indicates that it is designed to reduce friction and clutch slippage. I have decided to take the plunge and see how it works. Thanks for your inputs.
Old 7th March 2013, 22:33   #92
BHPian

My splendor seems to have suffered a crack around the silencer head (the part where it joins the engine block). Side effects being a whining engine note (where earlier it was a gentle sound, now it is a irritating noise) and also phut phut phut mis-firing sounds from silencer while decelerating.

1. is it going to be expensive repairing this? what is involved? as per mechanic it will cost me around 450 or so (for welding and 'head gasket' change)
2. why would a crack in silencer result in audible phut phut sounds while decelerating?
3. what harm if i ignore the crack and keep driving till next service - another 2500 kms?
4. did the crack happen due to rust inside the silencer or any stray stone/etc hitting it from outside? the noise developed all of a sudden during my office drive today morning.
Old 15th July 2013, 21:46   #93
Senior - BHPian

5000 KM have passed post engine rebuild and the bike sings along nicely! Did a complete service and oil change (Helix AX-7 10W40) a few days ago. Also had the seat cushion and cover replaced, as the old one had become too low.

But for this, everything else is original on the bike.

Here are a few pics:
Attached Thumbnails
The "Splendid" Hero Honda Splendor! 20+ years and 150,000 km up!-dsc00968.jpg  

The "Splendid" Hero Honda Splendor! 20+ years and 150,000 km up!-dsc00969.jpg  

The "Splendid" Hero Honda Splendor! 20+ years and 150,000 km up!-dsc00970.jpg  

The "Splendid" Hero Honda Splendor! 20+ years and 150,000 km up!-dsc00971.jpg  

Gansan is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 15th July 2013, 21:55   #94
Senior - BHPian

And here is a clumsy cell phone video I made to capture the engine note! After changing oil from mineral AX-5 20W40 to semi-synthetic AX-7 10W40, the pick-up has increased noticeably. But so has the engine sound as well, whereas it was butter smooth earlier.

Jury is out on the AX-7! I may switch over to AX-5 again during the next service!

Last edited by Gansan : 15th July 2013 at 21:57. Reason: Spelling
Gansan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th July 2013, 15:21   #95
BHPian

Really well maintained bike. Kudos to Hero and not Honda for making the components rust proof. I have seen several Honda motorcycle which has more rusted part than Hero motorbike. Also most honda bikes have bore failure at 35K kms. This is one solid bike. No frills top notch build quality and better materials than Honda. Whats the mileage you are getting?
vijaycool is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2013, 19:55   #96
BHPian

One question to Gansan and other Splendor owners here. Can you kick start a Splendor (and other Hero bikes sharing this engine) with the clutch dis-engaged (lever pulled in) ? Or would you have to return to neutral to do so?
Old 16th July 2013, 20:55   #97
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vijaycool View Post
Really well maintained bike. Kudos to Hero and not Honda for making the components rust proof. I have seen several Honda motorcycle which has more rusted part than Hero motorbike. Also most honda bikes have bore failure at 35K kms. This is one solid bike. No frills top notch build quality and better materials than Honda. Whats the mileage you are getting?
Thanks, Vijay! Well, actually there is rust after all these years, but very little of it. Will show only upon close inspection. Compared to this, my brother's 2007 Unicorn has rusted a lot, right from it's second year.

The fit and finish of Hero bikes is very very good, even now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmet View Post
One question to Gansan and other Splendor owners here. Can you kick start a Splendor (and other Hero bikes sharing this engine) with the clutch dis-engaged (lever pulled in) ? Or would you have to return to neutral to do so?
That is called a "primary kick start mechanism". My two stroke AX-100, KB-100 and Shogun all had it. We can kick start in any gear by depressing the clutch. But not possible in HH bikes. The moment you depress the clutch, the kick starter will go limp!
Gansan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2013, 21:12   #98
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
That is called a "primary kick start mechanism". The moment you depress the clutch, the kick starter will go limp!
Aah yes. That's the phrase I was looking for but couldn't remember. Thanks for the quick update on that, Gansan.
Old 17th July 2013, 13:24   #99
Senior - BHPian

Great maintenance there ! The bike looks mint and appears to be in ship shape ! One wouldn't agree this is a 13 year old bike. Congratulations Gansan !
rr_zen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2013, 19:09   #100
Senior - BHPian

The bike's silencer was decarbonized yesterday for the first time, at 112000 KM. There seemed to be a slight drop in pick-up recently and the mechanic suggested we do this.

There is a small rectangular depression in the silencer near the right side wheel nut. They remove the silencer, cut open this rectangle and direct a gas flame inside as well as through the exhaust mouth. Then they scour inside with steel wires. This process is repeated a few times till maximum possible carbon is removed. Then the opening is welded close and the silencer is mounted. As it is on the inside, the looks are unmarred.

Now the old pep is back in the bike. Beat is good and ride is spirited. When he brought it back the mechanic had a grin on his face and said he even did a wheelie.

A wheelie on a Splendor? Never heard of it, but I did not try it myself! His word is good enough!

The total cost was Rs 350.00
Old 8th July 2014, 12:10   #101
Senior - BHPian

@Gansan: Looks like your bike is going strong and has clocked 12k since it touched the 1 lac mark. So, have you then shelved the idea of going in for a new bike which you were contemplating earlier?
Old 26th February 2015, 22:31   #102
Senior - BHPian

Bike has completed 15 years, so the FC renewal was done a couple of days ago. Done through a driving school at a cost of Rs 2400.00 inclusive of "green tax" of Rs 500.00. Had to do an emission test at their approved centre and produce the certificate at the time of inspection. The RTO just walked around the bike for a look, told me to start and idle it, listened briefly and that was it! I was told to go, and later collected the RC book from the DS guy in the evening!

They will frown upon any scratches and tell us to paint it, so did a sticker job to cover a few and also to spruce up the bike! Total cost was ~ Rs 500.00. The grey color seen on the fairing are stickers to hide cracks, and over them the Michelin man sticker is pasted! The gray color seen at the bottom and top of the front mudguard are also stickers!

The "H O N D A" sticker in black on the front fork was actually done on 21.02.2000, the day I bought the bike!
Attached Thumbnails
The "Splendid" Hero Honda Splendor! 20+ years and 150,000 km up!-dsc01378.jpg  

The "Splendid" Hero Honda Splendor! 20+ years and 150,000 km up!-dsc01380.jpg  

The "Splendid" Hero Honda Splendor! 20+ years and 150,000 km up!-dsc01381.jpg  

The "Splendid" Hero Honda Splendor! 20+ years and 150,000 km up!-dsc01385.jpg  

The "Splendid" Hero Honda Splendor! 20+ years and 150,000 km up!-dsc01386.jpg  

Last edited by Gansan : 26th February 2015 at 22:44.
Old 3rd December 2017, 16:10   #103

Hello Team,
I too Own a Splendid Spleandor - Purchased on Nov 1999.. The Thug thug Sound can never be replaced by any new HH SPlendor -

As i used to say back then - and now i can vouch - "if you dont have a spleandor its a Blunder".

I have been doing my regular 3-5 month Service eversince i bought. for 9 years in Authorised Service Center and recently started in Castrol BikeZone.

I was told in april that my engine needs to be redone - but found it is not drinking that much Engine oil - for 1000Km harldy 250ml would have been burnt out i guess.

Questions:
1. I stay in BTM layout Bangalore - Any suggestions on best guy to get the recommendation for Engine overhaul to be done or not. if to be done to get it done.
2. DO you recommend Authorised HH showroom for this?
3. after using AX-3 20-40 Shell oil - the engine is butter.. i need an expert to suggest if ENgine overhaul to be done or not?

4. the headlights and horn have become really low despite new battery. Any suggestions if i can get a brighter light ( horn is ok still) - tough to ride in night. My mechanic suggested LED foglamps from Amazon - but i dont want to implant anything illegal on my bike.

PLEASE advise
Old 3rd December 2017, 22:07   #104
Senior - BHPian

If you observe the above picture, I have fitted the headlight unit from the latest crop of Splendors. The lighting is good, much much better than the old one, but nothing great. Just buy and fit.

The old headlights are actually the same bulbs which came in TVS mopeds of the time.

As for workshops, the authorized one Liberty Motors at Peenya was very good when I was in Bangalore twelve years ago. No idea now.
Old 8th December 2017, 22:49   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
If you observe the above picture, I have fitted the headlight unit from the latest crop of Splendors. The lighting is good, much much better than the old one, but nothing great. Just buy and fit.

The old headlights are actually the same bulbs which came in TVS mopeds of the time.

As for workshops, the authorized one Liberty Motors at Peenya was very good when I was in Bangalore twelve years ago. No idea now.
Thanks and about 3 years back I changed my headlight assembly to new. But I suspect old or low rated alternator. Not able to deliver that much power to illuminate the drive way.

Last edited by bblost : 8th December 2017 at 22:56. Reason: Avoid adding unnecessary ...

Most Viewed