Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th November 2011, 15:10   #1

Bajaj, LML and Andhra Pradesh Scooter Limited

Hi!

I am looking for information on Vespa and vespa-styled scooters produced in India over the years.

The Information I have up to now is following:
Bajaj started as a licensee/assembler for Piaggios Vespa VBB 150 in the 1960s.
Later they produced the Bajaj Prija, basically a unlicensed copy of the VBB 150, featuring a different headset but still using some original Italian Parts.
The next model seems to be the Cub, although I don't have any further information on that scoot.
In the 70s the Bajaj Chetak was introduced, featuring a new frame, 10'' wheels. Along the years a lot of different headsets were used, as well as various hormasks and varying engines: 2 and 3 - port as well as 2 and 4 - stroke.

LML started off in the 80s (?) as a Piaggio licensee as well, producing PX 150 scooters. After the license ran out they kept orducing the scooter under the name NV plus they introduced own versions of Piaggio/Vespa - Scooters:
The LML Select is basically a T5/GS - clone, the LML Select II is basically a version of the Vespa Cosa, the LML Sensation is based on a Vespa PK XL. Today they produce the NV Spl. for the Indian market with 150 and 200 cc engines, exporting very successfully the same scooters as Stella (for the US market) and Star (for Europe) in 125, 150 and 200 cc versions with 2 and 4 stroke engines.

Finally Andhra Pradesh Scooter Limited produced not only the Lambretta GP 150 under the Brands of Allwyn Pushpak and Vijay, but also some Vespa - styled scooters like the PL170 and some others.

Additionally some Italian - made Vespa scooters seem to have been imported to India over the years, as I have found at least one each of Piaggio's PK 125 and Vespa 100 in India.

Ok, now finally my request to the experts on the Indian scooter production/history: I would like to close the gaps in my knowledge, please could you correct/amend the above. I would be especially thankful if you could give me production periods and -numbers of the scooters/models.

Especially Andhra Pradesh Scooter Limited is kind of a mystery to me, I'd be glad if someone could give me some information.

As soon as possible I will add a picture of a scooter I found in India, which I really can not place - It doesn't seem to be a Bajaj nor a LML...

I know I probably ask a lot, but I appreciate any piece of information...

Thanks in advance,
Norbert
Old 30th November 2011, 21:35   #2
BANNED

Re: Bajaj, LML and Andhra Pradesh Scooter Limited

I was thinking that "priya" was made by Maharashtra Scooters and Bajaj used the "Chetak" brand name. Externally, the priya had rounded / curved lines, while the chetak used t sharp edge. The top of the engine's cover was horizontal.

But, I am not too keen an observer of two wheelers. I may be wrong.

About Andhra Pradesh Scooters, are you meaning the "APL" brand name - which made the Lamby range of middle engined scooters?
Old 30th November 2011, 22:10   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
About Andhra Pradesh Scooters, are you meaning the "APL" brand name - which made the Lamby range of middle engined scooters?
The Lambretta/Lamby was made by API (AUTOMOBILE PRODUCTS OF INDIA) at Bombay. Andhra Pradesh Scooters Ltd. (APSL) was at Patancheru on the outskirts of Hyderabad and made the Vijai Pushpak, later restyled and renamed as Allwyn Pushpak, then finally the Vespa PL 170 & PVX before they finally closed down.

Here are pics. of an Allwyn Pushpak with the APSL logo/plate.

Bajaj, LML and Andhra Pradesh Scooter Limited-apushlogo.jpg

Bajaj, LML and Andhra Pradesh Scooter Limited-apushplate.jpg

Last edited by Stanher : 30th November 2011 at 22:13.
Old 30th November 2011, 22:38   #4
BANNED

stanher - thanks for pointing out. Yes, I rember the Vijay brand of scooters. Looked nice (by then standards). Was not much of a success, was it?
Old 1st December 2011, 01:18   #5
Senior - BHPian

Under license from Scooters India Ltd, there were many companies assembling Vijay scooters just like Andhra pradesh Scooters Ltd and its Pushpak.Karnataka scooters named thier product Falcon and Punjab scooters named their ones as Kesri. There were some more, I don't remember ecaxyly how many. Scooters Kerala was contract assembling Vijay Super scooters for Scooters India Ltd, which is a Central Public Sector Undertaking.
Old 1st December 2011, 01:30   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by limerick1999 View Post
Later they produced the Bajaj Prija, basically a unlicensed copy of the VBB 150, featuring a different headset but still using some original Italian Parts.
The next model seems to be the Cub, although I don't have any further information on that scoot.
In the 70s the Bajaj Chetak was introduced, featuring a new frame, 10'' wheels. Along the years a lot of different headsets were used, as well as various hormasks and varying engines: 2 and 3 - port as well as 2 and 4 - stroke.
I am not very well versed with these, but I can tell you from what I know for sure.

The Bajaj Chetak (4 gears)was launched in the 80s only (like you said with bigger wheels)as an export model meaning if you wanted to buy that, you had to pay in forex. The super (also 4 gears) was launched (though with smaller wheels) as the Indian variant for the Chetak, also in the 80s and in the late 80s, the cub (electronic) was launched with 3 gears as a lower model to the Super. I had a '87 super (TSF 9632), my first motor in my life.
Old 1st December 2011, 03:04   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi!

Quote:
I was thinking that "priya" was made by Maharashtra Scooters and Bajaj used the "Chetak" brand name. Externally, the priya had rounded / curved lines, while the chetak used t sharp edge. The top of the engine's cover was horizontal.
Correct 'Priya' was never branded as Bajaj & spot on with the shape description. Another bit, Priya was a 100 cc 3 gear scooter unlike the Chetak.

IIRC this is how the Vespa base model were introduced by Maharshtra Scooters in India, I might not be 100 % right but this is what I remember

- Vespa 150
- Bajaj Chetak
- Priya
- Bajaj Super (Basically a Chetak with a smaller body like the 1962 Vespa 150 GL) Later versions looked like body type derived from Priya & Chetak was launched
- Bajaj Cub (Body of new Super but engine & stuff from Priya)

There were various versions/facelifts of the Bajaj Super which were launched at different times

LML launched a lot of variants of the NV & T5, some of the variants which I remember

PL 170 (Not sure if it was by LML or not)

NV 150
NV Spl
NV (there was a 3 speed version as well, not sure if it was a 100 cc)
XE 150
T5
Select
Select II
Star
Supremo

There were self start versions for few of these.

Last edited by Technocrat : 1st December 2011 at 03:05.
Technocrat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2011, 03:13   #8

Thanks a lot for the replies. They are highly appreciated. Sorry for the misspelling of Priya.

From time to time 200 cc engines from LML seem to surface around here, but only very rarely. Have these been produced for the home market or for export only (like the Lambretta GP/Vijay Super 200)?

Last edited by limerick1999 : 1st December 2011 at 03:32.
Old 1st December 2011, 12:04   #9
BHPian

Hello,
Here are a some inputs from my side. Experts correct me if i am wrong..

Bajaj Auto:
Vespa 150 (VBB) - 1961 -71
Bajaj 150 (Virtual Clone of Vespa 150) - 1972 -76
Bajaj Chetak - 1972 - 2009
Bajaj Super - 1976 - 2006
Priya (Mfg. by Maharashtra Scooters Ltd. with technology from Bajaj, very similar to Bajaj 150) - 1977 - ??
Bajaj Cub - 1984 - ??

I hope the information is useful.

- Priyadarshan

Last edited by priyadarshan.b : 1st December 2011 at 12:05.
Old 1st December 2011, 12:21   #10
Senior - BHPian

Hi Limerick1999,
Its good to see your interest in India Scooters.
Early Vespa 150s were direct imports from Italy and later on Bajaj obtained license to produce them in India.
I have a personal collection of some these scooters which include:
- 1962 Vespa 150
- 1969 Vespa 150
- 1984 LML Vespa Alfa
- 1989 LML Vespa NV
- 1996 LML Select
- 1996 Vespa PVX
- 1999 LML Vespa Supremo

Find below these pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Bajaj, LML and Andhra Pradesh Scooter Limited-bike8-vespa-150.jpg  

Bajaj, LML and Andhra Pradesh Scooter Limited-bike3vespa-150.jpg  

Bajaj, LML and Andhra Pradesh Scooter Limited-bike9-lml-vespa-alfa.jpg  

Bajaj, LML and Andhra Pradesh Scooter Limited-bike1lml-vespa.jpg  

Bajaj, LML and Andhra Pradesh Scooter Limited-bike2lml-vespa-select.jpg  

Bajaj, LML and Andhra Pradesh Scooter Limited-bike4vespa-pvx.jpg  

Bajaj, LML and Andhra Pradesh Scooter Limited-bike10-lml-supremo.jpg  

hillram is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st December 2011, 14:48   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillram View Post
Hi Limerick1999,
Its good to see your interest in India Scooters.
Early Vespa 150s were direct imports from Italy and later on Bajaj obtained license to produce them in India.
I have a personal collection of some these scooters which include:
- 1962 Vespa 150
- 1969 Vespa 150
- 1984 LML Vespa Alfa
- 1989 LML Vespa NV
- 1996 LML Select
- 1996 Vespa PVX
- 1999 LML Vespa Supremo

Find below these pictures.

Fantastic collection!

The LML Vespa Alfa is new to me - very neat.

Do you know the differences between the PL170 and the PVX?
They pretty much look the same to me...
limerick1999 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2011, 16:35   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Fantastic collection!

The LML Vespa Alfa is new to me - very neat.

Do you know the differences between the PL170 and the PVX?
They pretty much look the same to me...
Thanks.
The principle differences between PL170 an PVX are the headlight assembly and Speedometre design.
PL170 came with a rectangular headlight and PVX was a round one.Rest of the structure,engine details are all common for both the models.

LML Alfa came with 6 Volts Power and a split seat and carried a small flip open dickey in the side cowel like Bajaj Chetak.
Later LMLs were all 12 Volts.

Last edited by hillram : 1st December 2011 at 16:36.
Old 1st December 2011, 22:44   #13
BANNED

If "engine on side" qualifies as "Vespa styled" scooters, does a "Narmada" (cub?) or some such scooter made by a Gujarat company qualify? They had run a "name this product" ad before launch. It plenty of plastic (compared to other scooters; but certainly was more similar to Chetak.
BaCkSeAtDrIVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st December 2011, 22:50   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If "engine on side" qualifies as "Vespa styled" scooters, does a "Narmada" (cub?) or some such scooter made by a Gujarat company qualify? They had run a "name this product" ad before launch. It plenty of plastic (compared to other scooters; but certainly was more similar to Chetak.
Why not? Kelvinator,Narmada were all regional players and sprouted out to take on Vespa & Bajaj invasion.These names are rarely to be seen these days.
Old 1st December 2011, 23:18   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Narmada basically is a Bajaj as it was made with their tech tie up base on bajaj 150 lines. Later on cosmetic add-ons were attached to resemble a Chetak but remained as the Bajaj 150 itself beneath.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks