Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th September 2015, 23:09   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Water in Fuel tank of my Pulsar 180

Get a custom made cover on the tank from a bike seat cover maker.

Ask the seat cover tailor to use a layer of thick plastic beneath that rexine which covers the tank's fuel lid, this prevents most of the water that gets in through the cap.

Apache and Xtreme have a small hole in the contour where the fuel cap sits, its job is to dispense any water that gets in through the fuel lid of the tank. But this doesnt prevent huge amounts of water from getting into tank when parked/travelling in rain.

I did this on my apache and the problem was solved.

I suggested a custom made one, because the ready made ones, dont come with a plastic sheet lining inside and lets water inside. And these usually have some space to hold small note books or rags. These when drenched, absorb water and takes time to dry leading to unwanted water seepage.

Mine was just a layer of rexine strip on tank and a open-able sheet on the fuel lid. This entire thing has a thick sheet of plastic lining beneath it.

Last edited by rider60 : 20th September 2015 at 23:13.
Old 21st September 2015, 09:55   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Get the petrol tank empty and also the carb empty. Fill-in fresh petrol and see if the issue persists or no.

Also get the gasket under the fuel tank lid changed + the drain line cleaned. Looks like it is clogged.
The drain line was cleaned the last time. However I will check it again. As far as carburetor is concerned, shall I put in a new one altogether?
Old 21st September 2015, 10:53   #18
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swapnil4585 View Post

The drain line was cleaned the last time. However I will check it again. As far as carburetor is concerned, shall I put in a new one altogether?
Before you get the carb replaced, get down to the root cause. If the issue resurfaces with the new can then you'll go crazy further. So drain it totally and clean it.

It will help you in two ways. When you open it you'll get to know the condition inside. If it not worthy then replace it fully.

I own a 2009 Karizma R which is hardly used (25K kms in 6+years). Initially everything was good but later on the bike never used to cross 80 kmph and if it did, it vibrates. With a friend, we got the carb opened, cleaned and refit. Got a new battery, cleaned the spark plug and more she runs like a charm. Good is the first time I have opened the carb so may be out was dirty and choked.

Hope you get what I am trying to convey?!
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2015, 11:07   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Carburetors can be repaired.Each and every part is replaceable.Carbs are to be replaced at very extreme cases. Clean the tank and get the carb opened and cleaned thoroughly.You should be good to go.During Monsoon better cover the bike if not used.

Last edited by rakesh_r : 21st September 2015 at 11:08.
rakesh_r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2015, 12:23   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The drain lines are known to clog quickly if the bike is parked outside. If that happens then rainwater gets into the fuel tank. The key is to make it mandatory to clean the drain pipe during each bike service (3-4 months). I would also suggest to completely drain and clean the fuel tank every 2 years to avoid rusting. As of now, I would suggest clean the carburetor and the fuel tank thoroughly. Also clean the fuel lines and the filter. If this doesn't work, then try the bike with a carb from another bike. If the problem is solved, then think about repairing/replacing the carb.

I was a victim of the notorious "water in Pulsar tank" syndrome. My 1st gen P150 Dtsi (round headlamp) was 30k kms run and used to deliver 55kmpl in the city limits. Performance-wise, it was a beast too (pulled till 115kmph) which is why I never got any warning signs. Then one day, I saw signs of rusting in the lower area of the tank and took it for inspection. Upon draining the tank, we got more 1 litre of water and almost 0.5 lit of sludge (real thick red mud like). The fuel filter in the fuel cock was clogged and even the carb had the sludge. And yet the bike was running like a dream till then.
ashis89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2015, 00:15   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Before you get the carb replaced, get down to the root cause. If the issue resurfaces with the new can then you'll go crazy further. So drain it totally and clean it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
Clean the tank and get the carb opened and cleaned thoroughly.You should be good to go.During Monsoon better cover the bike if not used.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
As of now, I would suggest clean the carburetor and the fuel tank thoroughly. Also clean the fuel lines and the filter. If this doesn't work, then try the bike with a carb from another bike. If the problem is solved, then think about repairing/replacing the carb.
I got my bike in the evening. The fuel tank was emptied and cleaned. All the fuel lines and the filter were cleaned. Upon my insistence, the carburetor was also cleaned. The whole work cost me mere 50/-. I did not get a chance to drive the bike for a long distance. Whatever I drove, felt smooth. I shall however observe her behavior for the remainder of this month. Thank you Anurag, Rakesh and Ashish for your valuable inputs. I really pressed the mechanic to clean the carburetor. If I had not, he would have just cleaned the tank and the problem would have cropped up again in some way or the other.

While discussing the reasons for water in tank, the mechanic said that when ethanol comes in contact with water, it starts turning petrol into water. And since past one month or so, oil marketing companies have increased the content of ethanol in petrol. I wonder.
Swapnil4585 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2015, 00:19   #22
BANNED

Quote:
I got my bike in the evening. The fuel tank was emptied and cleaned. All the fuel lines and the filter were cleaned. Upon my insistence, the carburetor was also cleaned. The whole work cost me mere 50/-. I did not get a chance to drive the bike for a long distance. Whatever I drove, felt smooth.
Great news!

Hope they refilled fresh fuel and the old one else it'll cause the same issue again.

Do keep observing and update the thread after riding it for a longer duration / continuous usage.
Old 6th October 2015, 17:55   #23
BHPian

I've been advised to add 20 ml of 2T oil in a tankful of petrol in my XCD. I'm not sure if it is a good idea to do that, as it would clog the spark plug and carburetor. But I see many people adding 2T oils in the petrol tanks of 4 stroke motor cycles. How does the practice benefit the vehicle?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks