Team-BHP - The Thump, I always loved the most – Ownership Review of Classic 350
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Motorbikes (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/)
-   -   The Thump, I always loved the most – Ownership Review of Classic 350 (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/112093-thump-i-always-loved-most-ownership-review-classic-350-a.html)

My tryst with Two Wheelers started right from my school days, when my dad used to ride a JAWA. The mere thought of riding on a JAWA to school was more elating that going to school. The time I used to spend in school was nothing but a mere short break between the JAWA rides to school and back.

Have a lot of good old memories with the JAWA. A Burnt ankle due to my folly of trying to get on to the seat once dad got back from office to a broken arm due to climbing on parked JAWA. We both have faced it all. Prior to JAWA, dad had a Yezdi Road King, which was sold off after his wedding to buy a JAWA.

After a couple of years, dad had to dispose-off the JAWA to get a Lambretta. It was not an easy thing to ride a JAWA with 3 people in tow, myself, my mom and my younger sister. That’s where Lamby fitted in perfectly. Acres of place for the whole family and driving comfort for dad. That’s what Lamby offered us. Lamby was followed by many different two wheelers and I carry on that passion till date, I carry on my dad’s legacy of loving the ride more than anything else.

Royal Enfield was one bike I always used to envy the most. Reason, our neighbor had a RE Standard and the thump used to be mesmerizing. I used to jump out of my bed to see him ride his bike. Those synchronized Thud-Thud’s of Royal Enfield were more than mystical for me. Those were music to my ears and I still feel the same.

Schooling Done, College Done, Loitering Done, Extra Curricular Activities Done… I landed at a job the 3rd day after I wrote my Graduation final year exams. Post that, there has been no looking back.

My first ride was a Bajaj Boxer, which was worth every penny I’ve spent on it. No Fuzz bike is all I can say. The ride was of a good quality, mileage was great, I was lean at that time and I had pockets full of money in meager salary…. Those were the days. Boxer served me for good 3 years and had astronomical 63000 kms on the ODO, 100% 63000 kms of city riding.

Sold off the Boxer to pave way for my second bike, “brother from another mother”. Purchased Bajaj Avenger, a long distant cousin of Royal Enfield Thunder Bird. Was happy with the 180CC Engine, the ride quality and most important of all, the comfort my mom got while riding pillion on an Avenger. I would never ever trade off my Avenger for the comfort offered.

Everything was great except that the thump was missing and I was yearning all the time for that thump. To satiate my urge of thump, I mated a Royal Enfiled Silencer to Bajaj Avenger to give birth to “Royal Bajaj Avenfield”. A monster by itself, it has taken me to every corner of the city where I had to go.

We had a love-hate relationship for 6 years and with 78000 Kms on the ODO, I had to part with it. Handed it over to my younger brother as his daily ride to his newly joined office. I was left with no other option but to get myself a new bike.

The Royal Enfield Classic Bug had bit me big time by this time and I was scouting for a REC-350. The major letdown was 8-10 months of booking period. There’s goes my dream of owning a Classic 350 in the drain.

As goes the saying, when there is will, there is a way. Gods above had something else planned for me. A mere mail to the Hydeez and I was elated like there was no tomorrow. Thanks guys for the support throughout the time.

How I got my bike and etc is a pot-boiler in itself. Hang on for the next installment of my “The Thump, I always loved the most – Ownership Review of Classic 350” Experience

The Thump, I always loved the most – Ownership Review of Classic 350-whichone.jpg

Royal Enfiled – Booking woes and the never ending wait for the Thump

Before I begin speaking about my Booking Woes and etc, I would like to take out some time and thank all the Hydeez for their support all throughout the waiting time. Right from supporting me to get the bike, scouting for an urgent deliver one, handing over their booking voucher to me, reminding me that I was the only one getting delayed delivery (after DKG’s RE Thread) and a lot more. Thanks guys, you have been my true buddies all the time. Each time we spoke about my bike, I rushed down to the showroom guys to have a word with the Sales Engineer and Sales Manager. You’ve been the driving force behind it.

Test drove a Classic 350 at Kayjee Engineers, Secunderad long ago and the moment I alighted from the bike, I wanted to make sure that this becomes a part of my life. It was love at first throttle. This was long ago, to be precise, on Oct 22, 2010.

The thump, the ease of ride and comfort were par excellence. These were a couple of parameters I always look for, when buying a bike. Royal Enfield Classic 350 fitted to the T. The only deterrent was the waiting period of 8-10 months. It isn’t that easy to hold on to an itch for 8-10 months.

Was walking out of the showroom disappointed about the wait period and that’s when I thought about scouting an easy way out of the booking period. MileCruncher (Ani) had once mentioned about getting a Classic 500 delivered for a friend of his in a day’s time. I thought, Ani’s my savior. A couple of calls later, Ani was on the job of finding a Royal Enfield Classic 350 for me.

Ani did find a Black Royal Enfield Classic 350 for me alas it was in Delhi and had to be shipped to Hyderabad. I was ok with that until I hit upon some roadblocks about RTO Woes, Transfer Woes and etc. That’s when I started a new thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ad-booked.html and got all my queries answered.

During this Scouting Process, came across another message from Sabby (Sabby-069) about his Royal Enfield Classic 350 booking and he was willing to pass it on to me. The catch was he booked Silver colored one and I said, Heck with it, I am ok with Silver too.

Now I was elated to know that I can get the bike in Hyderabad without many hassles. The only catch would be to get it registered in his name and then transfer it onto my name. It was simple said than done. The wait started for the D-Day of Deliver. As promised to Sabby, the bike was supposed to be delivered in 6 months as there were very less amount of bookings for Silver colored RE Classic 350. The bike was booked on 27/12/2010 and positively was to be delivered by the end of July or first week of August. The calendar changed the dates and the dates turned into months, but there was never a positive note from the dealer’s side about the delivery of the vehicle. Each fortnight I made it a ritual to visit the showroom and enquire about the bike. Each time I returned empty handed with an assurance that the bike would be delivered in 15-20 days.

Each time I saw a classic passing by, I used ogle at it and curse the waiting period. Mid way, I even contemplated to buy another Avenger 220 and cancel this booking. That was the level of frustration I was going through. The pain and agony of waiting period has to be experienced in person and can never be felt by mere words and I was the first hand victim of it.

Cut to November 3rd week, I paid a visit to the showroom and had a word with the Sales Engineer and Sales Manager again, this time more determined to either close the deal or cancel the booking. I was given an assurance that I would get the bike in the last week of November. The only question he asked was “Sir, are you Ok with any color or you specifically want Silver?” I was like ANY COLOR WORKS FOR ME. I had a pre-assumption that this was again one of those false promises.

November 29th, Sabby got an unexpected call from the Showroom guys about the delivery of the bike. November 30th, I drove down to the showroom, made the payment in the name of Sabby and was assured a delivery on 1st of December. I was on Cloud 9 now. The wait has finally given its fruits.

Now, the only catch was getting the bike registered. I wanted the delivery on my name, where as booking was on Sabby’s name. A short 30 minute meeting with the Sales Manager, I was assured that the bike would be billed, invoiced and delivered on my name. The only thing needed would be a No Objection Letter from Sabby. Voila, I had the NOC from Sabby. Now, if you are wondering how the heck did the manager accept to doing it, then thanks to Condor’s suggestion

Quote:

Originally Posted by condor (Post 2438799)
@Traveloholic, can you not ask you friend to get the invoice done in your name. Like if he was gifting it to his brother ? Then the invoice & registration would have to be in the brother's name. If you want to get the bike your friend booked, then you will need his full involvement to get the bike from the dealer - and make sure the invoice is in your name.

One post I specially need to mention was Condor’s. Thanks Condor for the suggestion that I took it up with much gusto, used the same reason and ensured that I got it registered in my name.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ml#post2438799

1st December, I got the delivery of the bike on my name.

The journey which started from being infatuated with BLACK Classic 350 went on to become a Silver Classic 350, which finally turned into a Maroon Classic 350. Oh! The colors might have changed but the heart is still the same and I yearn to ride it the heart content.

Blk_Zombie turned into a Slvr_Streak finally became Red_Strykr

Ownership Review coming up next

Planned Black Royal Enfield Classic 350
The Thump, I always loved the most – Ownership Review of Classic 350-planned.jpg

Got Maroon Royal Enfield Classic 350
The Thump, I always loved the most – Ownership Review of Classic 350-delivered.jpg

Nikhil,

Let me be the first to congratulate you on your new acquisition. I know how long you waited for it. Now go out and paint the town red. That reminds me wasn't there supposed to be something called a Silver Lightning ?

Enjaai! :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by MileCruncher (Post 2601465)
Let me be the first to congratulate you on your new acquisition. I know how long you waited for it

Thanks Ani for the wishes. Who else would know better how long i've waited for this :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by MileCruncher (Post 2601465)
That reminds me wasn't there supposed to be something called a Silver Lightning ?

Yeah, it was supposed to be called as Slvr_Streak but landed with a Maroon colored monster now. Suggest a name for this please. Avenger is called as Blk_Spydr, Santro is called as Black Mamba, Hercules Cycle is called as Phoenix. Need a name for this now. As you can see, I follow the wildlife theme for the names. Suggest a kirraaaaak name for this bike ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by traveloholic (Post 2601454)
Those synchronized Thud-Thud’s of Royal Enfield were more than mystical for me. Those were music to my ears and I still feel the same.

You worded it aptly. I wake up everyday to the same music since my neighbour uses his RE to go to KBR Park for his walk.

Congrats on your purchase. Enjoy the ride.

Congrats Nikhil Anna.

It should be aptly named, The Python.

Excellent begining to the ownership Nikhil. We are now left wondering which one is yours? The red or black?

Look forward to detailed coverage of your feedback on key aspects of the bike as i am in queue to buy one next year:)

Nikhil bhai , welcome to the thump club ,nice intro .

Thanks Arjun. The second installment of my journey towards being a thumper is on the way.

Avi Bhai, thanks a lot. I purchased a Maroon (Red) colored Classic 350.

Here by I rechristen my Royal Enfiled Classic 350 as "Red_Strykr"

Thanks for sharing. Please note that your review post (last) and opening post have been merged together.

Ride safe.

Congratulations Nikhil for acquiring the RE 350.Wishing you many miles of safe ride.

Congrats Nikhil. The colour looks awesome. Wishing you happy miles ahead :thumbs up.

Congrats Nikhil, happy that the long wait is over.

I think in 2012 we are going to see a lot more Hydeez on 2-Wheels. Would like to meet the Bull in the next meet. Ride Safe, Ride Long.

Thanks everyone for the wishes. I do agree, Hydeez are moving towards 2-Wheelers now. We can expect a 2-Wheeler Meet soon & I guess it's time to introduce Red_Strykr to your "Green Goblin Ninja"

Back after a long hiatus with “My Adventures with Red_Strykr

Note: The characters in the script are not fictitious characters; they do exist in real life too. My Bajaj Avenger is called as “Blk_Spydr” and Royal Enfield Classic 350 is called as “Red_Strykr

The Thump, I always loved the most – Ownership Review of Classic 350-img1096.jpg

Having graduated from an Avenger to Royal Enfield, I do see loads of difference in terms of handling of the bike. I never say, I never enjoyed my stint with Avenger. I did it right from the first day of my purchase till now and my love story with my Blk_Spydr shall go on for years to come. However, Red_Strykr was a welcome change from the Cruiser styled ride of an Avenger.

Handling is something I notice the most. Avenger being a cruiser bike had a titled handle and I was always very careful while taking a turn or at Round-abouts. I used to go down to the dead speed and try to maintain my bike straight, where as Enfiled was a welcome change. I now take the turns and round-abouts without much hassles and with a good bend.

Mileage wise, I shall not comment much but I get the mileage same as I used to get on my Avenger. It’s only that the petrol costs more now.

Red_Strykr was used every day to office and back and I accomplished my First Week First Service Record again. Got Red_Strykr first serviced within 5 days of buying it. What a relief it was.

Always struck to a maximum speed of 60 within the city. As I normally travel via the ORR and its service roads, I had the pleasure of maintaining a constant speed of 60 for a pretty longer duration and this did ensure a good run-in for the bike. The slightest throttle and the speedo moved towards 60. I am still amazed with the response I get from the bike.

Something about my First Week First Service Record:

Ages ago, I had a Bajaj Boxer, which I purchased in 2002 and used it till 2005. Purchased Bajaj Boxer on one of the Thursday’s and took the bike for first service on Saturday. Saturday morning, I was the first customer to hand over the bike for servicing. Less than 48 hours and I handed over my bike for First Service. Why? It was my first bike and I went around the city, showing it off to my friends, cousins and everyone I knew. I call it “First Timers Syndrome”.

Then Bajaj Boxer served me till it clocked 64000 kms on the odometer. That’s when we parted ways, so that I could usher in his new cousin into my family. Bajaj Boxer was sold off in November 2005 and I purchased a Bajaj Avenger. Imagine this, this buy was also on a Thursday. Dropped this for first service on Monday morning enroute to office and picked it up while returning back. If you ask me, why it took me a couple of days more, I was working in the night shift and had no time to ride the bike during day time.

Come 2011 and I laid hands on Royal Enfield Classic 350 and like all my earlier bikes, this too was delivered on Thursday. This landed for its first service on Tuesday. Exactly 5 days after buying it. I guess I have this fetish of getting my bikes first serviced within the first week of buying them.

In case you guys have not noticed, all my buys till date have been on Thursdays. Bajaj Boxer: Thursday, Bajaj Avenger: Thursday; Royal Enfield: Thursday. I shall amaze you with some more things that happened on Thursday. Purchased my Hyundai Santro on a Thursday, I was born on Thursday and I got married on a Thursday too. It has been Thursday always for me. Nothing intentional or planned, but just a co-incidence you can say.

Back from service, the throttle response was even more smoother, the bike was lugging ahead like crazy, was gleaming from every nook and corner and above all, the attention I was getting on the road with the same set of questions with standard answers. How Much? What’s the Mileage? What’s the Booking Period? & etc.

Looks like these are standard set of questions; I have to answer every time I purchase a new bike. Same was the case when I purchased my Avenger. The most hilarious question ever asked about my Avenger was “Does it have a reverse gear?

In the present day scenario, the odometer is inching towards 1600 mark and I have not come across major issues till date. Just those minor issues, which every bike has.

The Thump, I always loved the most – Ownership Review of Classic 350-img1164.jpg

Next step forward, Enjoy the ride and the thump. I plan to get a couple of things changed. Need advice about a couple of things, basically need your inputs in taking a call on this.

ISSUE 1:
Other day, while returning back home from office, I heard a couple of new sounds coming from the rear wheel. When I rode it alone the sound was barely audible but in pillion, it was loud and clear. Next day morning took it to a Royal Enfield Mechanic to get it checked. I wanted to avoid riding till the showroom in that condition as I was skeptical, the small sound might lead to a bigger problem by the time I reach there. The Royal Enfield Mechanic checked it and said that due to my weight, the rear suspension is moving a couple of inches behind and this is increasing the traction in the chain. I really did not understand what he wanted to say as I guess the company might have tested it during the R&D stage. What do you guys suggest, how do I explain this issue at the RE A.S.S.?

ISSUE 2:
I find the seat to be pretty uneasy, as I end up with a Sore-Butt after riding it for 15-20 kms. What could be done in order to improve the seating comfort and avoid the Sore-Butts?

ISSUE 3:
I plan to replace the stock silencer with GoldStar by Sans Inc. I would love to have a Bassy Thump, clean sound and not like those squeaky treble enhanced silencers, but a good loud thump, that goes easy on the ears and gives that thumping feel to the rider.

The Thump, I always loved the most – Ownership Review of Classic 350-img1097.jpg

The Thump, I always loved the most – Ownership Review of Classic 350-img1098.jpg

The Thump, I always loved the most – Ownership Review of Classic 350-img1099.jpg

The Thump, I always loved the most – Ownership Review of Classic 350-img1100.jpg

The Thump, I always loved the most – Ownership Review of Classic 350-img1102.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by traveloholic (Post 2626128)
ISSUE 1:
Other day, while returning back home from office, I heard a couple of new sounds coming from the rear wheel. When I rode it alone the sound was barely audible but in pillion, it was loud and clear. Next day morning took it to a Royal Enfield Mechanic to get it checked. I wanted to avoid riding till the showroom in that condition as I was skeptical, the small sound might lead to a bigger problem by the time I reach there. The Royal Enfield Mechanic checked it and said that due to my weight, the rear suspension is moving a couple of inches behind and this is increasing the traction in the chain. I really did not understand what he wanted to say as I guess the company might have tested it during the R&D stage. What do you guys suggest, how do I explain this issue at the RE A.S.S.?

I don't think weight should be an issue. If need be the chain can be adjusted since you are the only rider. :)

Quote:

ISSUE 2:
I find the seat to be pretty uneasy, as I end up with a Sore-Butt after riding it for 15-20 kms. What could be done in order to improve the seating comfort and avoid the Sore-Butts?

Try changing the angle of the handle bar.

Quote:

ISSUE 3:
I plan to replace the stock silencer with GoldStar by Sans Inc. I would love to have a Bassy Thump, clean sound and not like those squeaky treble enhanced silencers, but a good loud thump, that goes easy on the ears and gives that thumping feel to the rider.

I am against any such change and would recommend against the same.