Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th February 2012, 05:40   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Pride and Excitment of Battle field - Desert Storm

Just a general thought:

I've seen both the DS and the Army Green models imported to the USA and they are about what I would expect them to be.

When it comes to Field equipment, the Military have never been known for trying to win beauty contests. Drab is good. Mis-matched paint is good. Even ugly things like Desert Storm tan with lighter off white or light brown stripes is good as long as it is functional and makes the machine blend in with the surroundings.

When one is considering one of these motorcycles they should be thinking of the type of camouflage painted equipment that the Military would own.
Nothing fancy. Plain old butt ugly flat (dull) tan or dark green paint.
(Yes, I know that the citizens of India aren't supposed to have the green ones and they aren't for sale there from RE, but as you know, people from all over the world are members of Team-BPH.)

In my opinion the only place RE missed the boat with these models is they have a chrome exhaust/silencer and chrome wheel rims.
About the last thing the Military would want is some chrome pipes and wheels reflecting the sunlight back at the enemy.

By rights, these should also be black, tan or green but the heat of the exhaust makes painting the exhaust difficult and the chipped paint on the rims from changing the tire creates places for rust to form.

I know several people in the USA who have wrapped their exhaust pipe on the Army Green models with high temperature insulating tape to fix that area but most of them have left their chrome rims with the factory finish.

I guess what I'm saying is that if you want to own one of these models don't expect it to look like a potential winner at a beauty contest.
On the other hand, because of their drab looks and their rarity they will probably attract more attention than my shiny chrome and black G5 Deluxe.

PS: If your DS has areas with thin or little paint in an area be sure to take it to the dealer and have him fix it.
The "Military" are very fussy about having good, thick coats of paint on everything that doesn't walk.
ArizonaJim is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2012, 08:31   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endofdayz View Post
Also i have some long standing problem with my bull speedo meter which is not solved yet.
Get the worm at the wheel hub inspected - since you've had the meters and speedo cable changed. I had similar speedo-needle wander on my Thunderbird which was eventually nailed to faulty worm at the hub - after the meter console + speedo cable were replaced.
Old 8th February 2012, 13:37   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaJim View Post
J

About the last thing the Military would want is some chrome pipes and wheels reflecting the sunlight back at the enemy.

But I, as a civil RE owner would like the exact opposite..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks