Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: What you guys suggest?
Classic500, wont be completly satisfied but its okas it is a practical bike... 9 50.00%
Phoren bike anyday, though maintaining may be a issue but its far relaible then an RE 9 50.00%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 7th December 2011, 21:19   #1
Senior - BHPian

C500 or a used Import

RE is not new to me, have owned 2bikes from RE stable and Classic is due next month, but am not too sure if i want to own another RE.well i guess most know the reason...

while i was pondering over this thought a idea stuck me, why not a used imported bike. am not talking about the liter class but the bikes which fall into 500cc segment, like CB400 or F650..

but their are couple of concerns like age of the bike which translates to maintenance related issues and the documents.

lastly finding good bikes
Now what you guys suggest me, am pretty confused
Old 7th December 2011, 21:27   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: C500 or a used phoren bike

Quote:
Now what you guys suggest me, am pretty confused
What's the budget planned for the used import?

Used "Phoren" Bike - In the class that you are looking for, they are very hard to come by. You have to be very patient and scrutinize the papers thoroughly before you land up a good example. If you are ready to wait and have time & energy to search, its a good bet. Ensure you have a trusted mech who can source the required spares for the bike.

C500- You already know what you are getting into. The bike is new. Service support is available as also the plethora of RE mechs all around town. Safe bet.

Why not look at other options already available off the shelf in India itself? CBR250R, Ninja 250/650, GT650R/N budget permitting?

Last edited by abhinav.s : 7th December 2011 at 21:39.
abhinav.s is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2011, 05:09   #3
Senior - BHPian

Now that's a Dilemma that many aspiring imported bike owners face

Lohith, without knowing the budget its very difficult to suggest anything. However from my experience on knowing people who owned such Imports, I would say stay away no matter how lucrative the deal looks.

Its a messy world, same bike with clocks manipulated changes many hands, get this you wont find a good import for cheap, a cheap import would always give you trouble.

Besides the maintenance is a Killer when compared to anything available in India below 3-5 Lac. The tires, Chain, Brake shoes the works need much frequent replacement than what we are used to & these are not cheap.

I suggest you look at R15/CBR 250/ Ninja 250 if you don't want the C500
Technocrat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2011, 07:19   #4
Senior - BHPian

Did not vote for anything, did you considered used bikes in India (Which are already launched) for example a Hayabusa, or a Honda CBR 1000R. Not sure how much it would cost as i will also be starting to look for one soon.

Alternatively you could also consider the CBR250R which is a wonderful bike.
mayankjha1806 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2011, 09:00   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post

I suggest you look at R15/CBR 250/ Ninja 250 if you don't want the C500
Add the KTM-200 to the list and the N-650R.

The advise by Techno is spot-on, tires are eaten up by the SBK's. In West, most folks spend a lot on tires & insurance, a deterrence which makes the 600's so popular.

My rear wheel on the puny CBR is sliding a lot. I have to take care not to whack the throttle open in corners now. Have felt the rear moving around. A 1000 destroys the tires if ridden spiritedly and is on softer diablo or rosso corsas or any sport tires. You won't find the same grip on Metzeler and hence would keep buying the soft ones.

Don't jump the gun straight on with a Sports Bike just yet. The N-650R makes a compelling case & would keep you hooked. The CBR-250R/N-250R are another good offerings. The CBR being the most VFM. KTM is unlike anything. Its a street hooligan & would spice up your commute like nothing else.

FYI, a R15 and a R1 attempted a saddle-sore run together and the R15 finished ahead. Yes, they weren't racing each other, but still...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
Honda CBR 1000R.
Its either a Honda CBR-1000RR Fireblade or a Honda CB-1000R

The Haybusa is in India since ages and can be had for relatively cheap, especially the pre '08 facelifted ones.
Sheel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2011, 15:57   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
Its either a Honda CBR-1000RR Fireblade or a Honda CB-1000R

The Haybusa is in India since ages and can be had for relatively cheap, especially the pre '08 facelifted ones.
Yeah, my lack of knowledge on bikes you see. Never been closely attached to one ever in my entire life. Its only the recent saddlesore ride thread that got me interested.

How much would a used Haybusa cost me, tried searching on the net could not find one? Apologies @lohithrao for hijacking this thread.
Old 8th December 2011, 18:57   #7
Senior - BHPian

Re: C500 or a used Import

Thanks for the inputs, agree with you all and this is something which is running in my mind.

I would love to go for Suzuki Bandit if my budget permitted i feel N250 is too small for me, i would prefer N650.... let me give it a thought else RE is waiting for me hehehe
Old 8th December 2011, 20:00   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Yeah, my lack of knowledge on bikes you see. Never been closely attached to one ever in my entire life. Its only the recent saddlesore ride thread that got me interested.
That is the beauty of this forum. We learn from each other Even I am not as through as you might be thinking.

Quote:
How much would a used Haybusa cost me, tried searching on the net could not find one? Apologies @lohithrao for hijacking this thread.
I believe the range would start at anything around 4+ You will get a better idea by visiting a few mechanics working on these.

@lohit - If you can go for a N-650R, nothing like it at the moment.
Old 8th December 2011, 21:07   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

What bikes have you ridden before & what do you ride/own currently?

Please understand these are not your average bikes, you need a lot of experience before you jump to something like a Busa.
Old 9th December 2011, 05:22   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
What bikes have you ridden before & what do you ride/own currently?

Please understand these are not your average bikes, you need a lot of experience before you jump to something like a Busa.
Since 2003 we own a Dio, and for the first two years i have ridden it extensively. Earlier in school days we used to have Vijay Super, and LML Vespa T5. Which i used to ride regularly.

The bikes i have ridden (Friends and relatives) for decent time's (few hours a day) are, Enfield Bullet 500 (in 1995, this was owned by my nanaji), Yezdi in 1990 (Which was owned by my maternal uncle), CBZ 2001 (Colleagues bike before buying my own car), Karisma (friends bike for few days).

Apart from this i ride Pulsar's, and Yamaha's whenever i go to my hometown.

I am confident i will be able to handle Busa .

Last edited by mayankjha1806 : 9th December 2011 at 05:24.
Old 9th December 2011, 05:30   #11
Senior - BHPian

Have you ever ridden a multi cylinder bike? For prolonged hours?

I suggest you meet someone who owns an import & see if you can get a ride(only possible if he is close friend ). find out issues riding such bikes compared to the bikes you have ridden. The heat these bikes generate is not funny. Also like I mentioned to Lohith the maintenance is not easy either.

The bigger chanllenges are to find a good condition bike & then to find an honest & reliable Mech. These bikes are not fill it, shut it, forget it Types.

See I am not trying to discourage you, if I anything I want you to be aware about what you would be getting into
Technocrat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2011, 06:11   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat
Have you ever ridden a multi cylinder bike? For prolonged hours?

The heat these bikes generate is not funny. Also like I mentioned to Lohith the maintenance is not easy either.

The bigger chanllenges are to find a good condition bike & then to find an honest & reliable Mech. These bikes are not fill it, shut it, forget it Types.

See I am not trying to discourage you, if I anything I want you to be aware about what you would be getting into
Other then the Yezdi and Bullet which are multicylinder i have not driven anything.

For the mechanic, wouldnt the suzuki A.S.S will be of help as these bikes are sold here by suzuki? There is busa parked in my basement and i know the owner. Will talk to him to understand what does he do for repairs.

Never driven any bike for prolonged hours. Only within the city rides.

Yup i understand, this will only encourage me to read/find out more about what it takes to own and ride one. Thanks for that.
Old 9th December 2011, 10:12   #13
BHPian

Lohith, as discussed, if you get a good cb400 etc before the C5 delivery, go for it!

mayank, riding a big bike is no biggie as long as you can handle the weight while turning and have your head on your shoulders at all time! I went from a bullet to a 900rr at a young age and touchwood, nothing nasty happened! Ride the bike to enjoy it and not to impress people! The moment you try something stupid or try a stunt to impress someone, ol' murphy will get you!!!

Cheers!
Old 9th December 2011, 10:24   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by james View Post
mayank, riding a big bike is no biggie as long as you can handle the weight while turning and have your head on your shoulders at all time! I went from a bullet to a 900rr at a young age and touchwood, nothing nasty happened! Ride the bike to enjoy it and not to impress people! The moment you try something stupid or try a stunt to impress someone, ol' murphy will get you!!!

Cheers!
Well i am sure i can handle the Busa. Also the age for stunts is long gone , now its more for self fun and enjoyment with maturity and safety (not only for self but others as well).

At the same time what @Technocrat is saying makes sense. Driving/Riding the bike is one thing living with it, understanding it, and maintaining it over many years is a completely different ball game. I am prepared for the part one but part two needs a lot of learning.
Old 9th December 2011, 10:28   #15
BANNED

2 CB Super 4 are for sale in classified section, check if they are coming with clean papers to avoid further issues.
One of my friend(he owned over 19 RD's till now) owns two CB super four and always complains that both of his CB never ask for any maintenance work and city mileage is around 25-30 kmpl, very good city handling, can kick any indian bike any time, lots of huss huss sound like Super bike.
Mayank just try the busa first and let us know your experiance, not just straight ride try one U turn and zig zag in typical indian traffic condition, also parking and pulling out of typical indian parking on road side corner.

Last edited by Ajaybiz : 9th December 2011 at 10:33.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks