Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th December 2011, 10:23   #1
BHPian

Bike for a matured rider. EDIT - Bought a '94 RoadKing

Hi Bikers,

I have loved bikes like every guy since childhood. Owned a Pulsar 150 from 2002 to 2011, sold it recently as was not using it much. And the maintenance cost was going through the roof, or maybe the mech was taking me for a ride!

Currently there is a Activa for quick errands. However, I would like to have a bike for weekend rides. Since the usage would be minimal, I am looking at a used bike. (yeah, GTO gets to you...)

I would like to own RE/ Yezdi/ RD the likes.. but unsure if I can manage the maintenance part of it. I usually like my vehicles to run smooth and be reliable. Hence never bought or recommended used vehicles, but considering this option now.

New age bikes like Ceeber/ Ninja/ KTM may be better in terms of reliability but they do not have the charm in them. Also I am unsure on the maintenance on these bikes.

My budget is 1.5 lakhs.

I am looking to reduce my doubts, hence a little information about me:
  • Even after 9 years my bike had only done 50k kms! My Swift D has done 22k in 34 months!
  • I value reliability the most.
  • Not a big fan of visiting mechanics often.
  • Have always kept my rides stock.
Old 8th December 2011, 11:07   #2
BHPian

re: Bike for a matured rider. EDIT - Bought a '94 RoadKing

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac187 View Post
Hi Bikers,

I have loved bikes like every guy since childhood. Owned a Pulsar 150 from 2002 to 2011, sold it recently as was not using it much. And the maintenance cost was going through the roof, or maybe the mech was taking me for a ride!

Currently there is a Activa for quick errands. However, I would like to have a bike for weekend rides. Since the usage would be minimal, I am looking at a used bike. (yeah, GTO gets to you...)

I would like to own RE/ Yezdi/ RD the likes.. but unsure if I can manage the maintenance part of it. I usually like my vehicles to run smooth and be reliable. Hence never bought or recommended used vehicles, but considering this option now.

New age bikes like Ceeber/ Ninja/ KTM may be better in terms of reliability but they do not have the charm in them. Also I am unsure on the maintenance on these bikes.

My budget is 1.5 lakhs.

I am looking to reduce my doubts, hence a little information about me:
  • Even after 9 years my bike had only done 50k kms! My Swift D has done 22k in 34 months!
For a budget of 1.5L, why don't you consider going for:

1) Enfield 500: I know the waiting time is huge, but every man should own an Enfield once in the lifetime. RD and Yezdi are good. But I'm not sure if they are real comfortable. I would suggest going for a new enfield as you mentioned you want to stay away from the garage. New bullets are finely tuned, though they lack the thump.

2) Now I want you to consider the non-classic bikes as well. Yamaha R15 or Honda CBR 250 are good bikes for your weekend runs. Particularly in cities and odd highway runs. You might be able to get a used Ninja in that amount of money.

Keep us updated.
creative420 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2011, 11:23   #3
BHPian

Quote:
[*]I value reliability the most.[*]Not a big fan of visiting mechanics often.[*]Have always kept my rides stock.[/list]

Keeping above in mind, all options that you have chosen, could be a very painful affair for you. Bullet will still be 'ok', but even finding a mechanic and parts of RD can be a very time consuming task. They are also fuel guzzlers and weekend long drives can cost you a lot of money.

The new Royal Enfields may suit your taste, these are the bikes for the generation of people who always wanted to own a Bullet. Karizma / CBR / or even a very nice looking Avenger might interest you, and these fit in your fill it, forget requirements.
Old 8th December 2011, 11:32   #4
Team-BHP Support

@mac187: Buy a cycle. A good road bike would cost you around 40-50k.

Use that for weekend rides that are going to make you
stronger
healthier
more in tune with nature

Very little in terms of maintenance and very good on the reliability front as well.

Just giving you an alternate view point.

I love my RE tb, but cycling is also a lot of fun.
bblost is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th December 2011, 11:38   #5
Senior - BHPian

register on xbhp - reach out to the CBR/KTM/Ninja riders in BLR - get a pillion test ride (doubt the dealers would give a proper TR) and then take a 2nd call.

as for reliability of bullets: let's just say they are often idiosyncratic? http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ert-storm.html

EDIT yes on seeing bblost's post - I recommend the gorgeous - http://www.trackandtrail.in/Cannondale-Six-Carbon-3.asp - fits RIGHT within your budget as well. Truly reliable unlike the bullets.

Last edited by phamilyman : 8th December 2011 at 11:41.
Old 8th December 2011, 11:50   #6
BHPian

Quote:
.. 1) Enfield 500:
not when
Quote:
..[*]I value reliability the most.[*]Not a big fan of visiting mechanics often. ...
Uce 350's are a safer bet esp the Std model, no frills just plain motorcycle all good for mature a rider. Else consider Avenger or Unicorn. I would take a look at Boxer 150 as well
Old 8th December 2011, 12:18   #7
Senior - BHPian

My Pulsar 220 (Naked version) costed me 58000 Rs (got it used when it was 11 months old, 12K Kms on clock, was as good as new). It still puts a smile on my face when I cross 125Kmph at ease (maxed out once at 142KmPh~), (and can rumble around in top gear at 60KmPh if needed without knocking) and a oil service costs less than 1000 Rs with semi-synt oil. I use it for daily commute on GQ/NH7 50Kms a day - it gives aprox 35KMPL - basically it suits most of your requirements.

There is always a bajaj service center around a corner, so servicing is not a issue. I have used it for around 6000kms in 6 months, no breakdowns so faar, servicing every 2K kms.

Last edited by svsantosh : 8th December 2011 at 12:21.
Old 8th December 2011, 13:03   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by creative420 View Post
For a budget of 1.5L, why don't you consider going for:

1) Enfield 500:
2) Yamaha R15 or Honda CBR 250.

You might be able to get a used Ninja in that amount of money.
I have ridden RE extensively when I was in college. My buddies used to own them. I truly agree when you say that every guy should own one. But the reliability part of it, is whats keeping me away from a RE

I am not a fan of R15. Ceeber and Ninja are the kind i am looking at. Not sure if I can find a good Ninja in my budget in Bangalore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaurusAl View Post
finding a mechanic and parts of RD can be a very time consuming task. They are also fuel guzzlers and weekend long drives can cost you a lot of money.

The new Royal Enfields may suit your taste, these are the bikes for the generation of people who always wanted to own a Bullet. Karizma / CBR / or even a very nice looking Avenger might interest you, and these fit in your fill it, forget requirements.
True, I just dont think I have it in me to find parts and visit Mech's every week. I do not fancy Karizma/ Avenger. I want to graduate from 150cc/11bhp to something more subtantial.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
@mac187: Buy a cycle. A good road bike would cost you around 40-50k.
I had visited the famous cycle showroom near Total Mall, Madivala. Drooled close to two hours there! But I dont like to be pushed around by people. In Bangalore if you are on anything lesser than a Activa, cars and buses care two hoots for you on the road. I am planning to use my bike to visit my friends on weekends and for club hopping. Cycle doesnt fit my bill.

But I would surely buy a cycle sometime in future. It would a CannonDale

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
register on xbhp - reach out to the CBR/KTM/Ninja riders in BLR - get a pillion test ride (doubt the dealers would give a proper TR) and then take a 2nd call.
I was a active member of Xbhp till about 2 years ago. Been hooked to Tbhp since. That is a very good idea to reach out to owners for pillion rides and feedback. I was kinda hoping Tbhpian would help me out with ownership experiences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rennjit View Post

Uce 350's are a safer bet esp the Std model, no frills just plain motorcycle all good for mature a rider.
The classics come in both models isnt it? There seems to be a majority towards RE here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
My Pulsar 220 (Naked version) costed me 58000 Rs (got it used when it was 11 months old, 12K Kms on clock, was as good as new).
Thats quite a deal you got there. Is it with FI? I did ride one yesterday (one with FI). Liked the power but I am looking for more power

Last edited by mac187 : 8th December 2011 at 13:07.
Old 8th December 2011, 13:08   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I had visited the famous cycle showroom near Total Mall, Madivala. Looked the cycles. But I dont like push around by people. And true is if you are on anything lesser than a Activa, cars and buses care two hoots for you on the road. I am planning to use my bike to visit my friends on weekends and for club hopping. Cycle doesnt fit my bill.

But I would surely buy a cycle sometime in future.
uh oh - RR cycles? They are more like infamous in the bike circles - good for initial purchase, nothing later.

Do take some time out when u do - visit The best multi-brand bicycle store in Bangalore or Best Cycle Store in Bangalore*|*Wheelsports - there's a reason all the BLR cyclists swear by them.

Agree on the rest - everything has its utility and right now a CBR is what seems to be ideal for you.
Old 8th December 2011, 13:24   #10
Senior - BHPian

CBR makes sense considering your usage and requirements. It is a very versatile bike. Perfect for touring, good for city and occassional track usage.

Quote:

I had visited the famous cycle showroom near Total Mall, Madivala. Drooled close to two hours there! But I dont like to be pushed around by people. In Bangalore if you are on anything lesser than a Activa, cars and buses care two hoots for you on the road. I am planning to use my bike to visit my friends on weekends and for club hopping. Cycle doesnt fit my bill.
It is a nightmare to use cycle in bangalore traffic.
Old 8th December 2011, 13:52   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thats quite a deal you got there. Is it with FI? I did ride one yesterday (one with FI). Liked the power but I am looking for more power
P220-S is without FI. It makes close to 1BHP more than its FI sibling. The power to weight ratio of the naked version is better as it does not have that heavy front fairing. The trade off is the excellent projector lamps on the fairing version.

For your requirement, CBR250R (new) makes best sense. It is almost in your budget and you get a new bike for the same price that you have kept aside for a used purchase. Used N250 in Bangalore sells in the 2.25-2.7L range.
Old 8th December 2011, 14:02   #12
BHPian

Hi,
A used RE has got its own share of trouble. Unless you know a reliable mechanic there is no point of buying a cast iron model. In my club there are quite a lot of people owning more than one bullets, one for the thump (strictly within city) and another (with the new engine) for long rides. Used ninja would cost you around 2.5L and its worth it. I agree with others that Pulsar 220 would be the ideal choice. Personally i did not like CBR250. Cheers
Old 8th December 2011, 14:07   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
they do not have the charm in them
Define charm

Quote:
Also I am unsure on the maintenance on these bikes
Like????

Quote:
These are your expectation...define your purpose of buying a motorcycle.

Quote:
Even after 9 years my bike had only done 50k kms! My Swift D has done 22k in 34 months!
Why do you want to buy a motorcycle when you've a car & especially when I see you drive more than ride? Get this & you'll find the answer yourself

Last edited by aargee : 8th December 2011 at 14:08.
Old 8th December 2011, 14:59   #14
Senior - BHPian

1.5 Lakh Budget? Go for a new RE in 350CC. The configuration is way more reliable than the 500CC one, and it's not an unliveable compromise in terms of performance.

You'll also save enough cash upfront, to live out those Niggles, and that Saving should last you a good 5 years, from my experience.
Old 8th December 2011, 15:15   #15
Senior - BHPian

Its quite easy to suggest a bike for you actually. But firstly the NO No's. Stay away from the RD'S and the likes coz trust me the nice sunday morning you want to take it out you ll notice a dead battery or the coil went kaput etc etc. I own one for last 9 years and love it to the core but if you not a DIY guy i suggest you stay away. Never been a fan of the RE so will not recommend it. Now there is a new bike in town and its absolutely splendid. I rode when overseas and fell in love with it. The KTM DUKE200. Its light , nimble and will give you enough grunt to put a smile on your face. Not to miss , it looks absolutely smashing. Here I am assuming that you are willing to depart from the old school naked look of RE/RD.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks