Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th December 2011, 15:56   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: What bike at 40? What do you call this urge at this age?

Shubz,

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/members/nanduchitnis.html bought a Avy at the young age of 56, before buying a P220 a couple of years later

So please don't moan about the age of 40 - no way. Buy a CBR or KTM whatever makes your heart skip a beat.
phamilyman is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th December 2011, 15:59   #17
BHPian

@ Shubz

As the bike will only be used for commutes and not long tours I presume, you can easily rule the N650R and the soon-to-be-launched CBR600F out. They are great bikes, everyday all-rounder, but spending nearly 5 lacs (even if you have no budget constraints) for just commuting purpose makes a little sense to me. They are more relaxed cruisers compared to other options you have in the list. A 250cc, be it the Honda or the Kawasaki, will suffice your fun-commuting requirements better. Maneuvering a middle-weight in the daily bumper-2-bumper traffic can be tiresome.

Of the other choices, drop the GT650N if you are even slightly apprehensive about its service and future here in India. Hyosung bikes are great package but they are not as good or refined as the Japs-that's what I hear from most of the riders.

So, you are now left with only 250s to choose from. Choose any 250 and you cannot go wrong with anyone of these.

VTR250-I can't comment on it.

CBR250-An all-round bike. Right mix of handling, ride quality, comfort, looks, power, torque and safety (ABS). Great VFM proposition. Perfect bike for Indian road conditions, IMHO.

FZ250- You have already ruled it out. Doesn't matter when and for how much it comes!

Ninja 250: Greaaaaaat bike. The way its parallel-twin revs can make you a mad-man! It's an out-and-out fun bike.

But...but...but, If I were in your shoes, I would definitely cut the slack by another 50cc and get the DUKE. It's an absolute cracker to look at. You are already 'sold' on the 200. Most of all, this is what you need for short commutes-a Streetfighter.

You might have read reviews on the KTM by now. If not the check this one-
http://www.xbhp.com/talkies/first-im...ga-review.html.

My suggestion would be to go with your heart and bring some orangey-ness in your life.

EDIT: GT650N is priced at 3.8 lacs (promotional till 31st Dec). Just read one of the tweets by Overdrive mag.

Last edited by Shivank : 9th December 2011 at 16:05. Reason: GT650N
Shivank is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2011, 18:32   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Thanks aargee, I am waiting for the teething troubles to be over!
They're over; its only going to get better

Quote:
May be during the next track day?
Sure sir; will pm my number & we can coordinate accordingly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
Ninja is also on the list after the KTM Duke. Waiting for the 2012 Ninja to come out and then look at the prices
Shubz saar - If you get the N650R, you'll not need anything else; it has got ample power, excellent engineering & straight sitting posture; just see to that, you can afford for the parts & service. I know many friends who bought its younger sibling, but can't afford for even the turn lights that costs over Rs 1400 & are looking for alternate parts. So Katoom & Ninjittes are expensive brothers.

Keeping that aside, here's another thought to confuse you - If you think 100 is fine, 120 in C250R is nothing; that's when you'll feel that your bike is moving quite good. So think about 600's, I'd guess 150's would be the same.

N650 is good bike no doubt, but, you may want to consider the riding posture. Most people (atleast in this country) feel the straight sitting posture is good for back etc etc, but after riding C250R, my entire perception has changed & I'd prefer a forward riding posture more than laid back. So at the moment GT650R offers that; I'm not suggesting GT650 or R1, but trying to give you a different perspective of thought. I'd say you stay away from anything below 500's & jump to 600's, if you can afford.
Old 9th December 2011, 18:36   #19
BHPian

For you age, I would suggest the Bullet (any model for that matter). It is a sedate bike (assuming you are a family man, its time to say good bye to too much of a risk), and it comes with a lot of style, respect and pre existing brotherhood that is hard to match, and one that would not let the male menopause happen, too soon ;-) Cheers
Old 9th December 2011, 18:44   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I just stepped into my 40's and people around me always say "Upgrade to a SUV" but here I am active on a bike forum asking this question... What bike for this ole' man?!
You're never too old to swing your leg over a bike and ride off. Destination be damned. I'm in my early 30s and its only for the past year and a half that i have been enjoying my rides (ninja 250R). I was paranoid of taking the bike (my fiero) out on the highways since it was running on tube type tires. A puncture and associated hassles put my spirit of adventure in the back burner.

Quote:
My mind set on a few more options.

Honda's upcoming 250 VTR 250 - but when?
Yamaha FZ 250 (almost ruled out cos of its styling)
Ninja 250/650 - 2012 ( ruled out as its too expensive for my liking)
Honda CBR600F - again when? and how much?
Hyosung 650N (ruled out for two things - I don't like the way its exhaust stands out. and Garware Motors yet to settle in with their service etc)
From what you have listed (usage etc.) the Ninja 650R makes a lot of sense. I wouldn't recommend the Ninja 250R since it is slightly aggressive and compact in the seating and ergonomics department so long rides (over 200kms at a stretch) would be painful. The 650R fits the bill perfectly. A close friend of mine used to feel tired after 200-300kms on the 250R but after he sold it and upgraded to the 650R he now does 600 kms at a stretch with a couple of small breaks thrown in. Very comfy and a definite mile muncher.

I'm not sure when the Honda's 600F would be out or even the Yamaha FZ250. The hyosung's are still not there in terms of reliability and stuff. A guy in our group bought the GT650 a couple of months back and recurring issues has forced him to put it up for sale.

Oh yeah, since you did mention the price is keeping you away from the ninja, i would suggest you wait till the 2012 version of the 650R is out. That will get you a good price on a 2011 model and in addition, the after sales service is a definite plus.

The KTM 200 would make a good city bike with an occasional highway stint thrown in. AFAIK, the KTM 350 will be launched a year later if the 200 makes its mark in the indian market.

Edit - Join us on our weekend rides sometime. You can see various bikes and hopefully that will help you in taking a step forward towards your decision.

Last edited by n_aditya : 9th December 2011 at 18:48.
n_aditya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2011, 19:11   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shivank View Post
@ Shubz

As the bike will only be used for commutes and not long tours I presume, you can easily rule the N650R and the soon-to-be-launched CBR600F out. They are great bikes, everyday all-rounder, but spending nearly 5 lacs (even if you have no budget constraints) for just commuting purpose makes a little sense to me. They are more relaxed cruisers compared to other options you have in the list. A 250cc, be it the Honda or the Kawasaki, will suffice your fun-commuting requirements better. Maneuvering a middle-weight in the daily bumper-2-bumper traffic can be tiresome.
This is a very valid point. Bikes with wet weight of 200kg or above may not be easy to ride in slow city traffic. They could be great for touring though. For commuting, you want a light, easily maneuverable machine.

A 250cc might be an excellent compromise for both city and highway riding.
Old 9th December 2011, 19:17   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Shubz,

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/members/nanduchitnis.html bought a Avy at the young age of 56, before buying a P220 a couple of years later

So please don't moan about the age of 40 - no way. Buy a CBR or KTM whatever makes your heart skip a beat.
Wow! Thats pretty inspiring! (Gives me more powers to swim the "phamily" tide. Grin!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shivank View Post
@ Shubz

As the bike will only be used for commutes and not long tours I presume, you can easily rule the N650R and the soon-to-be-launched CBR600F out. A 250cc, be it the Honda or the Kawasaki, Maneuvering a middle-weight in the daily bumper-2-bumper traffic can be tiresome.

Of the other choices, drop the GT650N

So, you are now left with only 250s to choose from. Choose any 250 and you cannot go wrong with anyone of these.

VTR250-I can't comment on it.

CBR250-An all-round bike. Right mix of handling, ride quality, comfort, looks, power, torque and safety (ABS). Great VFM proposition. Perfect bike for Indian road conditions, IMHO.

FZ250- You have already ruled it out. Doesn't matter when and for how much it comes!

Ninja 250: Greaaaaaat bike. The way its parallel-twin revs can make you a mad-man! It's an out-and-out fun bike.

But...but...but, If I were in your shoes, I would definitely cut the slack by another 50cc and get the DUKE. It's an absolute cracker to look at. You are already 'sold' on the 200. Most of all, this is what you need for short commutes-a Streetfighter.

You might have read reviews on the KTM by now. If not the check this one-
The Complete xBhp Review : KTM 200 Baby Duke Mega Review - xBhp.com : The Global Indian Biking Community.

My suggestion would be to go with your heart and bring some orangey-ness in your life.

EDIT: GT650N is priced at 3.8 lacs (promotional till 31st Dec). Just read one of the tweets by Overdrive mag.
If it 650 - Ninja would be my choice. Would think of 650 if I run out of options in the 250 segment. There there is N250R - For both - I will check out the 2012 models in flesh (they pinch the pocket a bit harshly though)

Forget middle weight bike.. I myself am super welter weight - lol .. so don't want the bike to be riding me than me riding the bike.

KTM reviews - I have read word by word (am a member there as well)

FZ250 - At least in the pictures I didn't find it that appealing. (Again - the exhaust kills the look of the bike)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
They're over; its only going to get better

I guess I told you - I loved the bike at the first feel. But by then I had already fallen for the KTM.

Sure sir; will pm my number & we can coordinate accordingly

Shubz saar - If you get the N650R, you'll not need anything else; it has got ample power, excellent engineering & straight sitting posture; just see to that, you can afford for the parts & service. I know many friends who bought its younger sibling, but can't afford for even the turn lights that costs over Rs 1400 & are looking for alternate parts. So Katoom & Ninjittes are expensive brothers.

Saar - I know the Katoom and Ninjetts are expensive on the parts side.

Keeping that aside, here's another thought to confuse you - If you think 100 is fine, 120 in C250R is nothing; that's when you'll feel that your bike is moving quite good. So think about 600's, I'd guess 150's would be the same.

The firgures in 100 / 120 is optimistically put (what I felt personally safe for myself) May be when I am on top of one of these - the figures may change :=)

N650 is good bike no doubt, but, you may want to consider the riding posture. Most people (atleast in this country) feel the straight sitting posture is good for back etc etc, but after riding C250R, my entire perception has changed & I'd prefer a forward riding posture more than laid back. So at the moment GT650R offers that; I'm not suggesting GT650 or R1, but trying to give you a different perspective of thought. I'd say you stay away from anything below 500's & jump to 600's, if you can afford.
GT650 - ruled out saar - Though I like the N version but I can't stand the drainage pipe like exhaust (GT owners - please do not take offense at this)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradhey View Post
For you age, I would suggest the Bullet (any model for that matter). It is a sedate bike (assuming you are a family man, its time to say good bye to too much of a risk), and it comes with a lot of style, respect and pre existing brotherhood that is hard to match, and one that would not let the male menopause happen, too soon ;-) Cheers
Bullet - Never was in consideration. I agree it comes with a lot of style/respect/brotherhood - I simply cannot be a part of all that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
You're never too old to swing your leg over a bike and ride off. Destination be damned.

Adi sir - I loved this point!

From what you have listed (usage etc.) the Ninja 650R makes a lot of sense. I wouldn't recommend the Ninja 250R since it is slightly aggressive and compact in the seating and ergonomics department so long rides (over 200kms at a stretch) would be painful. The 650R fits the bill perfectly. A close friend of mine used to feel tired after 200-300kms on the 250R but after he sold it and upgraded to the 650R he now does 600 kms at a stretch with a couple of small breaks thrown in. Very comfy and a definite mile muncher.

No intent of doing such long runs (600kms etc) on a bike - before doing so, I may have to visit a divorce lawyer.. Lol. (Again - Once I have the beast on hand, things may change)

Oh yeah, since you did mention the price is keeping you away from the ninja, i would suggest you wait till the 2012 version of the 650R is out. That will get you a good price on a 2011 model and in addition, the after sales service is a definite plus.

Bajaj A.S.S - I have never doubted. I've been in the Bajaj family since the KB100 days.

The KTM 200 would make a good city bike with an occasional highway stint thrown in. AFAIK, the KTM 350 will be launched a year later if the 200 makes its mark in the indian market.

Droool! Slurrp!

Edit - Join us on our weekend rides sometime. You can see various bikes and hopefully that will help you in taking a step forward towards your decision.

Wow! That is interesting. Will touch base with you on this soon!
Old 9th December 2011, 19:40   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Bullet - Never was in consideration. I agree it comes with a lot of style/respect/brotherhood - I simply cannot be a part of all that.
Hey Shubhankar,
Come on man. Bullet is a nice bike. How come a guy who owns a Willys doesn't like a bullet, both have similar kind of history and legacy. You will like it more once you start riding it.
Old 9th December 2011, 19:51   #24
BHPian

Buy an Enfield (Bullet). I got mine at 40. I Think its the right one for my age.
Old 9th December 2011, 19:51   #25
BANNED

Shubz even i am 40 now and in process of getting BMW F650, RZ350 and one old skool SBK in the range of 500-1000 cc.
I have 3 RD's and few more small two strokes.
Dont follow anyone just listen to your heart and go with it.
Ajaybiz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th December 2011, 20:06   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepaktpatil View Post
Hey Shubhankar,
Come on man. Bullet is a nice bike. How come a guy who owns a Willys doesn't like a bullet, both have similar kind of history and legacy. You will like it more once you start riding it.
Patil saab - Its not about not liking it. I have a taste for history and legacy else my Willys would not have been that much cared for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stnair View Post
Buy an Enfield (Bullet). I got mine at 40. I Think its the right one for my age.
Age is one thing - capability to handle it is another. With all the history and legacy - I am bulletphobic. - I can't think of handling that monster. God forbid if I come under it - someone will have to summon a crane to get the monster off my slender frame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajaybiz View Post
Shubz even i am 40 now and in process of getting BMW F650, RZ350 and one old skool SBK in the range of 500-1000 cc.
I have 3 RD's and few more small two strokes.
Dont follow anyone just listen to your heart and go with it.
Heart kind wily you know! It is never content.
pre 1st - RD 350 - That is another story.
1st - KTM 200. - Still 1st.
another 1st - CBR250
Another 1st - VTR250.
Couple of other first's - N250R, N650R.

Ajay sir - Give me one of your RD's <GRIN>

So you'all still say life is easy?

Why isn't anybody talking anything about VTR250??

Last edited by Shubz : 9th December 2011 at 20:09.
Old 9th December 2011, 20:23   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Why isn't anybody talking anything about VTR250??
Because its not on HMSI's card, unless HMSI suddenly changes their business plans & starts a CKD/CBU. Its not reliable info on VTR;

IMO, HMSI might bring a 400 or 600 cc motorcycle, VTR...I highly doubt
aargee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2011, 20:27   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Because its not on HMSI's card, unless HMSI suddenly changes their business plans & starts a CKD/CBU. Its not reliable info on VTR;

IMO, HMSI might bring a 400 or 600 cc motorcycle, VTR...I highly doubt

RG - You are the best! At least you spoke up about this!

Okay another thing someone mentioned about the Duke 200 - its like "In your face" kind of color. For that matter even Ninja got that "In your face" kinda color but its still a charm! so what about the Duke then?
Old 9th December 2011, 20:34   #29
Senior - BHPian

Re: What bike? what do you call this urge at this age?

Quote:
Don't worry young man, I have stepped in to my fifties and am eyeing the CBR 250 R and RE 500 Classic! My family members are shaking their heads in disapproval.
How often do you hear a 40 year old being called "young man"?
I guess, here on TBHP, age is defined by the age of the heart and mind and not the body.
Way to go!
My recommendation: The KTM200. Light(very), nippy and well fast enough to even make the youngest heart skip a couple of beats.
About the VTR, I agree with what aargee said.
My 2 cents, I doubt Honda would turn cannibal and turn the VTR against the CBR. I don't know the pricing, but from my limited knowledge, that'd be my assumption.

Last edited by ashwin.terminat : 9th December 2011 at 20:41.
ashwin.terminat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th December 2011, 21:25   #30
Senior - BHPian

Tell us what your budget is? I thought u said 650s are out of budget.

The CBR250 is the perfect gentleman's bike

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks