Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th December 2011, 17:54   #76
Senior - BHPian

Re: What bike at 40? What do you call this urge at this age?

Quote:
Originally Posted by praful View Post
Alright then the CBR/Ninja will be better suited to your needs as the Duke is more of a brash go anywhere, do anything bike. But highways etc are more your thing, then a faired bike is what you should be looking at to protect you from the windblast!

Exactly my thoughts. Though the Duke is an awesome bike it has the "Brashness" exuding out of everywhere. And I surely don't have any intent of going anywhere beyond the roads.

15K a year that too with just weekend riding is actually a LOT of riding

For eg: My bike has done close to 80K over the past 4 years. And its my almost everyday bike, the car does not come out that often. And I do ride out pretty frequently over the weekends as well!

Lol - that was naive on my part to say 15k. But I am sure not to tire out of riding. You may want to halve it! ;-)

As I mentioned before, as long as you don't drop it. Maintenance costs aren't too high! Regular services aren't too very expensive, a few of the consumable parts like the chain & chain sprockets are a little on the higher side. But apart from that it is still not too very heavy on the pocket.

But drop it and its whole different story altogether!
No No! No idea whatsoever to drop it. Will ride it well within my abilities of course without pushing it too far.

Now anybody has a pic of the Yam 250 thats lined up for launch? Or is there anything lined up at all?
Old 14th December 2011, 21:47   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubz View Post
No No! No idea whatsoever to drop it. Will ride it well within my abilities of course without pushing it too far.

Now anybody has a pic of the Yam 250 thats lined up for launch? Or is there anything lined up at all?
Nobody drops their bike on purpose. Accidents, by definition, are unpredictable.

As for the Yamaha, if I were you, I wouldn't hold my breath for it. The news for a speculated launch of a new Yamaha Fazer 250 came out 2 weeks after I got my P220 (back in August 2009, It was an article on the first page of the Economic Times). And, the rest, as they say, is history.
Old 14th December 2011, 21:48   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Will ride it well within my abilities of course without pushing it too far.
Hi Shubz,
I know this post will go against the grain of this whole thread.
I am a out and out car guy. But I also use, and enjoy, Jeeps and bikes. I'm elder to you.

Separate biking from the bike.

Initially buy a preowned bike. (My suggestion, a ZMA). See whether reality matches your expectations. Whether you enjoy biking. Whether you are confident enough not to think twice about taking out the bike when the car is parked next to it.

By this time, you'll have a better idea of what exactly you want. At which stage you can sell off the your ride and buy what you actually want. Having bought it preowned will mean you will not take too big a hit on depreciation when you sell it. Or want to get out of it. And will lower the entry barrier into biking.

My 2 bits.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 14th December 2011, 23:50   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
I know this post will go against the grain of this whole thread.
I am a out and out car guy. But I also use, and enjoy, Jeeps and bikes. I'm elder to you.

Separate biking from the bike.

Initially buy a preowned bike.
Sir I respect your opinion. The bike in question is not going to be my first bike. I have been riding the following
KB 100
Wind 125
CT100
Kinetic Honda. Have owned the above.

Have ridden the following
RD 350
Yezdi 250
Yamaha RX 100
Hero Honda series.
CBR250 (test ride of a few kms only)

So I will not be touching the bike for the first time in my life. Now the kind of bike am contemplating (for what reason, I do not know) is on the premium segment. So this thread!

@ant.bin: I know nobody drops deliberately, nobody goes and bangs into another vehicle deliberately. But it could happen out of carelessness on anybody's part? I was trying to emphasize on the fact that I am usually a careful person and would put an extra before it when handling something premium.
Old 15th December 2011, 14:57   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Yam 250 is still distant rumor !

About dropping, well lets just say with bikes anything can happen. Just so that you are mentally prepared, for example the indicators cost 1.3K. The fairing costs about 20K.If god forbid you have a slide, and if its on the right side, the exhaust costs 40K!

The spare prices are sky high on the N250R! So if you do go for it, please be very careful

That being said, I'd still say the N250 is one the most *perfectly engineered* bikes around!
Old 15th December 2011, 15:18   #81
Senior - BHPian

Reply to the original question: Mid-Life Crisis. :-)

My take: An 800cc Harley.
Why the 800? Because, it is I-M-Humble-O, the most VFM of all the other Harleys. It carries the image, and will be simpler (relatively) to maintain. Plus, it would give you an acceptable level of performance.

By the way, how is your Back (spine etc...) doing at 40, for you to be contemplating a Sporty design?
Old 15th December 2011, 15:44   #82

Quote:
I don't know what you youngsters would call this. I just stepped into my 40's and people around me always say "Upgrade to a SUV" but here I am active on a bike forum asking this question... What bike for this ole' man?!

Prelude: I am sold to the KTM 200! Just waiting for the bookings to open to book one.

Already firmed my visit to Auto Expo 2012 to check out more upcoming stuff!

My mind set on a few more options.

Honda's upcoming 250 VTR 250 - but when?
Yamaha FZ 250 (almost ruled out cos of its styling)
Ninja 250/650 - 2012 ( ruled out as its too expensive for my liking)
Honda CBR600F - again when? and how much?
Hyosung 650N (ruled out for two things - I don't like the way its exhaust stands out. and Garware Motors yet to settle in with their service etc)

What would I use the bike for?

Mostly non-office commute (read - Weekend ride) and sometimes Office commute as well (during non-rainy season)

So folks - What are your suggestions?

PS: I have posted a similar thread on the exclusive biking forum as well just and posting here too as I don't want to miss outputs from my brothers who aren't out there but in here!

At the other end of the spectrum there is the Pulsar 220F. I had mine fitted with a BMC Performance Conical Air filter (Four Seasons Automobiles, Bombay) and they re jetted it for me and it is now a rocket. The bike costs far less than its compatriots and after this simple Rs. 2850/- upgrade, I'm zipping past the others and laughing all the way to the bank.
Old 15th December 2011, 16:18   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran
Reply to the original question: Mid-Life Crisis. :-)

My take: An 800cc Harley.
Why the 800? Because, it is I-M-Humble-O, the most VFM of all the other Harleys. It carries the image, and will be simpler (relatively) to maintain. Plus, it would give you an acceptable level of performance.

By the way, how is your Back (spine etc...) doing at 40, for you to be contemplating a Sporty design?
Haha.. good question. Am slightly built. 5'11 and hover around 70 kilo mark. Mostly below that. Touch wood.. back spine mind all seems to be holding out well. ;-)
Old 15th December 2011, 20:47   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The bike in question is not going to be my first bike. I have been riding the following
KB 100
Wind 125
CT100
Kinetic Honda. Have owned the above.

Have ridden the following
RD 350
Yezdi 250
Yamaha RX 100
Hero Honda series.
CBR250 (test ride of a few kms only)

So I will not be touching the bike for the first time in my life. Now the kind of bike am contemplating (for what reason, I do not know) is on the premium segment. So this thread!
Hi,
Sorry, my apologies. I kept getting the feeling that though you enjoyed biking (so of course you would not be a newbie) you had some doubts (and I don't mean about which bike)

All the new 250s which will land up here (as and when) will be ASEAN 250s. Certainly not premium bikes.

As of now, the Ninja 650. Wish Bajaj would bring in the er6n. And Suzuki the sv650. Don't know how the Bonneville will be priced.

Regards
Sutripta
Old 15th December 2011, 20:54   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutripta View Post
Hi,
Sorry, my apologies.

As of now, the Ninja 650. Wish Bajaj would bring in the er6n. And Suzuki the sv650. Don't know how the Bonneville will be priced.

Regards
Sutripta
No need to apologize sir!

The Bonneville may be too heavy on me and my pocket!

I remember reading somewhere that the er6n is on its way to India in 2012 (but don't know when)

Also got to see what kind of upward revision (in terms of prices) is going to happen on the 2012 Ninja 250/650's.
Old 16th December 2011, 11:50   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The Bonneville may be too heavy on me and my pocket!

I remember reading somewhere that the er6n is on its way to India in 2012 (but s.
Would there be any difference between the er6n and Ninja 650? thought they were the same with twin cylinder setup. Do not think even the riding posture changes with each. Do let me know if you have any other points in mind
Old 16th December 2011, 13:24   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd

Would there be any difference between the er6n and Ninja 650? thought they were the same with twin cylinder setup. Do not think even the riding posture changes with each. Do let me know if you have any other points in mind
I thought it was more "naked" than the Ninja. And riding posture a little more upright than ninja?
Old 21st December 2011, 09:57   #88
Senior - BHPian

on a side note - did you see this thread?
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...nja-250-a.html

maybe his logic may work in your case as well!
Old 21st December 2011, 15:33   #89
BANNED

Alright, I think its time for me to pitch in. I am also on the lookout for a 250+cc bike and have booked the Classic500 out of pure enchantment. I am not sure if I will like that bike but since the waiting list is 6months long I can I took the liberty of booking it. I like the wait since it gives me an oppurtunity to look at other options. I was initially not so taken about the KTM because of it's Fazer like looks but I have started to like it a bit more lately and though it is 200cc it's power rating is nearly the same as some 2500cc bikes.
Like you my usage is also for occasional commutes to office and some weekend touring and maybe a one or two long rides in a year. Keeping that in mind, I think it calls for a 60% street_bike and 40% tourer_bike combination. So hmm, looks like the KTM/CBR250/Ninja250 would fit the bill perfectly. But if one doesn't like the fairing then it narrows down to KTM.

IMO going for 600 and above would simply result in an expensive horse in the stable, but seldom used notwithstanding the cost of spares.
Old 21st December 2011, 18:58   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
on a side note - did you see this thread?
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...nja-250-a.html

maybe his logic may work in your case as well!
Works perfect! Thanks for the pointer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaks View Post
Alright, I think its time for me to pitch in. I am also on the lookout for a 250+cc bike and have booked the Classic500 out of pure enchantment. I am not sure if I will like that bike but since the waiting list is 6months long I can I took the liberty of booking it. I like the wait since it gives me an oppurtunity to look at other options. I was initially not so taken about the KTM because of it's Fazer like looks but I have started to like it a bit more lately and though it is 200cc it's power rating is nearly the same as some 2500cc bikes.
Like you my usage is also for occasional commutes to office and some weekend touring and maybe a one or two long rides in a year. Keeping that in mind, I think it calls for a 60% street_bike and 40% tourer_bike combination. So hmm, looks like the KTM/CBR250/Ninja250 would fit the bill perfectly. But if one doesn't like the fairing then it narrows down to KTM.

IMO going for 600 and above would simply result in an expensive horse in the stable, but seldom used notwithstanding the cost of spares.
Welcome to the club zaks!

Even with me it seems to have boiled down to Duke200, N250, N650. Unless someone throws a spanner in the works by releasing something (looking towards Honda - 600 something? very soon? ahem?)

At the cost of antagonizing/displeasing CBR250 owners, though its a lovely bike, the kind of issues reported (though they ain't going to be permanent issues), is not allowing me to keep it in contention.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks