Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th March 2012, 16:21   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: The R15 - A query

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram_hyundai View Post
I am sure it would definetly catch PP 220.
ram
Hey, the P220 is much more powerful in terms of the output when seen on paper. The R15 looks razor sharp and we think that it can easily catch up to with the P220. If you do a straight line shootout with both these bikes; you will notice that initially both the bikes take off almost equally. But the P220 starts to marginally gain speeds a little more quicker than the r15. Peak power for both the bikes is produced at 8500 rpm, but the r15 is weak in figures with 17 PS as compared to the P220's 21.04

But if you hit the twisties, the R15 moves ahead a lot more confidently. The stance on the bike makes revv hard since you know that you have absolute control on the bike. Here, the P220 feels a little nervous since the riding position is a little tall and upright.

So, straight line catching up a P220 -
but on the twists and corners - Unbeatable
Old 19th March 2012, 22:14   #32
Senior - BHPian

maybe still i did this way below the limits and he looked helpless.The right shift of gears and maintaing the RPM can do wonders in the R15.I will surely do a test and revert.
ram
Old 22nd March 2012, 20:07   #33
BHPian

I am probably suffering a mental block after reading on so many posts across the internet that the R15 does 130 with ease, and the engine doesn't feel strained at all. I, however, find that it takes a lot of time to progress after 110 or so (I do not crouch). You guys achieve 120+ only with crouching? (with ease, that is. I am aware that you can hit 120 odd without crouching, given enough time). I too have touched 120+ but that was after crouching. Just want to get your inputs on that.

On the whole, it sure is an awesome bike.
Old 22nd March 2012, 21:40   #34
Senior - BHPian

Hey fanatic,I have seen a dozen videos (indian)were 15 touches 140 kmph.So i am sure its able to do it.More than the final speed its the handling of it at low speeds that excites.I would advice to do a top run on a track were we are more safe and more than that others are safe.

ram
Old 4th November 2014, 15:56   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anup89 View Post
hello fellow R15 enthusiasts,
i ask to seek expert advice on an issue that has been nagging me. i intend to buy a new bike( the R15). my work is such that i will get to ride it only in the weekends. now,i have been hearing theories that people propagate,that the engine looses its performance ,efficiency and longevity if not run on a regular(daily) basis. does this hold true??? please advice accordingly...
These theories are absolutely base less. i have owned v1 for almost 5 years until recently and i have switched to v2 now. v1 saw 42000 kms on odo, so that means 8000 kms or so per year which comes to about 700 kms per month , which isnt much. And i never had a problem with performance ,efficiency and longevity.
Even the battery lasted for 5 years. There were times when my commuting and touring duties were served by other bikes and i didnt get to ride r15 for almost 25-30 days in a stretch. But no issues what so ever.
So dont worry and if your mind is set in r15, just go and grab it. Keep her well and she wont let you down.
mehuel is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th November 2014, 00:04   #36

Mod Note : Slang and SMS Language are STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. Please type in full and proper English for the benefit of other community members.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 10th November 2014 at 14:40.
anup89 is offline   Received Infraction
Old 1st December 2014, 23:39   #37

hi everyone... finally my R15 v2 is home.. thanks for the advises ...
need a few more...
can anyone run me through the do's and don'ts that one has to follow with the R15 until the first free service..??
thanks in anticipation.!!
Old 2nd December 2014, 09:10   #38
BHPian

Congratulations Anup. Have fun and ride safe

As for the do's and dont's. Some of the things i will comment on will sound repetitive as they are already mentioned in the user manual. And i hope you must have already gone through it.

1) regarding running in, just keep the revs below 5000 rpm for first 500 kms
and then below 7000 rpm for next 500 kms, i.e, till 1000kms.

2) donot overfill the fuel above recommended level just a tad bit below the nozzle.

3) if possible get a chain clean and lube if you are riding in dusty conditions and clean and lube at 500 kms. It can be done at the service center aswell. and adjust the chain slack if needed.

4) this is just my personal opinion/ observation but do check the tyre pressure as soon as you get the bike out of service center and make sure to maintain 29 psi front and 33 rear for single.
What i observed was that both the front and rear tyre were loosing 1-2 psi in every 2-3 days. i guess that was the new tyre settling in the alloy. i have a foot pump at home so it wasnt an issue bringing it up to mark twice or thrice in a week initially. but now it has settled in, and i still check pressure every 3-4 days but there is no loss of air pressure even after 10 days or so. its justs a good measure i guess.

5) these are not important as service center will take care, but a preliminary over view of engine oil level along with coolant and brake fluids are also good practice.

rest is all good and easy.

enjoy your ride.
mehuel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2014, 12:11   #39
Senior - BHPian

Re: Yamaha R15 V2.0- A query

Although, I'm not answering the query you have posted, please allow me to suggest that you restrict the top speed tests to closed roads only, such as a race track.

It's not safe for you and for other motorists/road users/pedestrians to test the capabilities (or lack of) of your machine on a public road.

Ride safe.
n_aditya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2014, 17:17   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by mehuel View Post

4) this is just my personal opinion/ observation but do check the tyre pressure as soon as you get the bike out of service center and make sure to maintain 29 psi front and 33 rear for single.
What i observed was that both the front and rear tyre were loosing 1-2 psi in every 2-3 days. i guess that was the new tyre settling in the alloy. i have a foot pump at home so it wasnt an issue bringing it up to mark twice or thrice in a week initially. but now it has settled in, and i still check pressure every 3-4 days but there is no loss of air pressure even after 10 days or so. its justs a good measure i guess.
thanks a lot bro.. handy tips.!
about the tyre pressure issue... do u use a portable pressure gauge?
and if yes can u suggest one? for what duration do u have to repeat bringing it to the mark for the tyres to settle in?
anup89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2014, 02:15   #41
BHPian

I am posting some pics of the pressure gauge. It does not have any make or model, but its just a simple pen style one. I bought it from Karol bagh about 10 years back, and if my memory serves me well, for a good 50 bucks. Good old days

As for tyre settling in. Well, it took roughly a month for my bike. I believe there is no specific duration but as practice just have it checked every 3 days initially than increase it to 5 days and so on depending on number of psi tyres are losing.

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
Yamaha R15 V2.0- A query-img_2014120520958.jpg  

Yamaha R15 V2.0- A query-img_201412050456.jpg  

mehuel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2015, 20:59   #42

hello everyone..
i am having a good time with my R15 v2.0.
just have a few novice queries.
1. what are the gear-wise optimum speed ranges for the bike? i seem to be getting this part wrong. i tend to upshift at wrong speeds which leads to sudden burst acceleration.
2. is it fine if i lube the chain with grease? the chain lube spray is good but it dries fast as ride on a long dusty stretch.
Please advice.
Thanks.
Old 11th January 2015, 10:51   #43
BHPian

Anup, my answers based on my 4 year ownership of R15 v1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anup89 View Post
1. what are the gear-wise optimum speed ranges for the bike? i seem to be getting this part wrong. i tend to upshift at wrong speeds which leads to sudden burst acceleration.
I upshift around 4/5ks when driving sedately. When driving spiritedly, or on a highway I upshift around 8ks so that I will be in the meat zone I.e around 6ks in the next gear.

Quote:
2. is it fine if i lube the chain with grease? the chain lube spray is good but it dries fast as ride on a long dusty stretch.
Please advice.
Thanks.
Grease is a dust magnet and may not be good for the exposed chain.
linuxmanju is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th January 2015, 11:24   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanaticOnWheels View Post
I am probably suffering a mental block after reading on so many posts across the internet that the R15 does 130 with ease, and the engine doesn't feel strained at all. I, however, find that it takes a lot of time to progress after 110 or so (I do not crouch). You guys achieve 120+ only with crouching? (with ease, that is. I am aware that you can hit 120 odd without crouching, given enough time). I too have touched 120+ but that was after crouching. Just want to get your inputs on that.

On the whole, it sure is an awesome bike.
Dear friend, being a R15 V2 owner myself I would like to give you my 2 cents.

This bike is surely not that powerful with a 150cc motor but it makes up for that with its amazing high speed stability, smooth engine and cornering abilities. Without crouching you can't achieve higher speeds and that too happens with 10k shifts from 3rd gear to 5th gear. I even hit rev-limiter in 6th gear several times when there was a decline and bike was touching around 147 at that time. 5th gear redlining happens with crouching when you carry good speeds/acceleration from earlier gears and then 6th takes you forward. If you sit upright and not making this small gem of an engine work, you will be disappointed when bike stops accelerating around 117-120 kmph range.

I hope it will help.
dchahal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th January 2015, 23:53   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by mehuel View Post
1) regarding running in, just keep the revs below 5000 rpm for first 500 kms
and then below 7000 rpm for next 500 kms, i.e, till 1000kms.
meheul please advice on the following
can u specify the speed ranges for each gear,like
1st gear: xx to xx kmph
2nd gear: xx to xx kmph...
and so on.
The bike is still in is running in period. approx 390 kms.
Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks