Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th December 2011, 14:17   #16
BHPian

Re: TVS to launch Automatic Motorcycles & Scooters in 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalsa777 View Post
This is a great initiative by TVS.

My only concern is the dogma attached with automatic transmissions in India. In my opinion, Indian bike buyers are even more conservative compared to car buyers. Car buyers still feel automatics have lesser fuel efficiency as compared to manual, they also feel automatics have higher maintenance costs.

Convincing the bike buying junta that automatic is a better option will be an up-hill task.
As an example, just ask any average biker what he feels about disk brakes, and chances are he will be against them !!
Well. Think about it this way : an Indian wants supreme fuel efficiency on his bikes. But there is also a segment ready to pay for automatic activa-type scooters. So obviously, auto gear has been accepted on two wheelers already. Its the bikes that are new to this.

In my opinion, below factors would decide on whether TVS can make a big deal out of this:
1. Driveability (Bikes are considered to be powerful - atleast compared to other 2 wheelers like scooters. If this is compromised, then the whole thing will collapse).

Initial Cost: Should be only say about 5% more than the regular bikes.
OR
Mileage: Should be better than before.
Old 25th April 2013, 19:50   #17
BHPian

2013 is here and we're still waiting for TVS. Looks like they work like the government. Announce and only announce, without results.

Had a horrible ride today in traffic, started searching for auto motorcycles and landed on this thread. Does someone know of a scooter with the comfort and large tires of a motorcycle?
Old 25th April 2013, 20:27   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmet View Post
2013 is here and we're still waiting for TVS. Looks like they work like the government. Announce and only announce, without results.

Had a horrible ride today in traffic, started searching for auto motorcycles and landed on this thread. Does someone know of a scooter with the comfort and large tires of a motorcycle?
Hold your horses and wait for the PCX 150 by Honda.......

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...w-scooter.html

Prajwal
Old 25th April 2013, 21:42   #19
BHPian

That looks like a bulky and expensive launch from Honda.

TVS has two auto tranny motorcycles for other countries. I'm looking for exactly such motorcycles in India but with better fuel tank capacity (these only carry 4L)

http://www.tvsmotor.in/neo.asp
http://www.tvsmotor.in/rockz.asp
Old 25th April 2013, 22:21   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

I know what you felt and on several days I also feel like chucking the bike and getting onto a Volvo. But then bike is a bike. It has its own share of pros and cons.

Why don't try out the Activa and Wego. They are very good for the city use(only) and are comfortable enough. They are quite powerful to put 150CCs to shame. My dad uses an Activa at home and I am pleasantly relieved every time I use it(I still miss my bike sometimes).
Give it a thought.
Old 26th April 2013, 10:18   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashis89 View Post
I know what you felt and on several days I also feel like chucking the bike and getting onto a Volvo. But then bike is a bike. It has its own share of pros and cons.

Why don't try out the Activa and Wego. They are very good for the city use(only) and are comfortable enough. They are quite powerful to put 150CCs to shame. My dad uses an Activa at home and I am pleasantly relieved every time I use it(I still miss my bike sometimes).
Give it a thought.
Thanks for the moral support buddy
I ride 42km daily and the first 2 and last 2 km are always in horrible state, potholes, gravel, water puddles. I'm not really sure if the autorickshaw-like tires of a scooter would hold up on such roads. What about the chassis and suspension doing 42km daily ? Are these scooters built for such long rides?

I'm also not very happy with the auto tranny on our TVS Pep. It always seems to take a while to register my throttle, but I agree it is a pleasure to not have to engage gears and clutch!
Old 26th April 2013, 10:36   #22
Senior - BHPian

Well, if it is going to be easy enough for girls to ride, it will bomb for sure! Bikes are toys for boys, and the more difficult & powerful to ride, the more macho it will be (perceived as). Nobody will want a bike that rides as easy as an Activa! :-)
Old 26th April 2013, 10:41   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the moral support buddy
I ride 42km daily and the first 2 and last 2 km are always in horrible state, potholes, gravel, water puddles. I'm not really sure if the autorickshaw-like tires of a scooter would hold up on such roads. What about the chassis and suspension doing 42km daily ? Are these scooters built for such long rides?

I'm also not very happy with the auto tranny on our TVS Pep. It always seems to take a while to register my throttle, but I agree it is a pleasure to not have to engage gears and clutch!
For city rides, if you are happy with the sitting posture(I am 6ft and Activa is a tad small for me) you can cover 100 kms in a day. I have done that and so am saying. On my first visit home after the Activa was bought, I covered a little more than 600kms in 7 days just for the fun of riding the scooter, 80% of it in city itself.

Regarding the chassis and suspension, they are built to be ridden and 42 kms isn't anything for them. Gravel and water puddles are not an issue but you have to be careful regarding the deep puddles, not for the scoot's sake but for your own safety. Regarding large potholes and very bad roads, scooters do tend to become unstable if you are at a higher speed. Just slow down a bit and you will be fine. In Bangalore, you will be surprised to see many people zipping down the roads(or rather I should say no roads)on their scoots with ease.

I agree with your opinion of Pep. My friend used to have a Pep+(90cc variant) during the college days and I have used it. For a single rider, its throttle response was average. But the new scoots are so powerful, boys here do wheelie on them(I don't approve of it at all). Just TD the 125cc Wego/Access or 110cc national scooter Activa and you will be grinning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Well, if it is going to be easy enough for girls to ride, it will bomb for sure! Bikes are toys for boys, and the more difficult & powerful to ride, the more macho it will be (perceived as). Nobody will want a bike that rides as easy as an Activa! :-)
Gansan, I agree with you completely but sometimes when you encounter stagnant/crawling traffic for KMs at end, you wish you had an auto scoot without the bother of clutch. As soon as the traffic clears out, the scooter dream is chucked out you are zooming away happily on your bike.

Last edited by ashis89 : 26th April 2013 at 10:47.
ashis89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2017, 18:33   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
High Points:

- TVS Motor Company today announced the development of a new transmission that will enhance fuel efficiency by as much as twenty percent, when compared to the CVT technology deployed today.

- Expected launch is in year 2013. TVS has spent 6 years on developing this transmission and several patents have been applied for.
I see that this post was of 2011 mentioning that TVS intends to make automatic motorcycles in 2013. Now we are in 2017 and I don't seem to see anything yet.

I for one prefer a motorcycle to a scooter primarily for the wheel size and ride comfort. I wonder why none of the 2 wheeler manufacturers have come out with an automatic gearbox for motorcycles when the entire market is flooded with automatic scooters. I am sure that there is an untapped market out there for these.
Old 10th July 2017, 18:54   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissknife View Post
I see that this post was of 2011 mentioning that TVS intends to make automatic motorcycles in 2013. Now we are in 2017 and I don't seem to see anything yet.

I for one prefer a motorcycle to a scooter primarily for the wheel size and ride comfort. I wonder why none of the 2 wheeler manufacturers have come out with an automatic gearbox for motorcycles when the entire market is flooded with automatic scooters. I am sure that there is an untapped market out there for these.
You can book the new honda africa twin which comes with a dct gear box and a 94 bhp power train.

You can thank me later. Or not
Red Liner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2017, 08:54   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Liner View Post
You can book the new honda africa twin which comes with a dct gear box and a 94 bhp power train.

You can thank me later. Or not
What we need is a practical, automatic, commuter motorcycle that an average motorcycle buyer would be able to afford.

With regards to the Honda Africa, is it a bike that that is targeted at the masses? How many do they intend to sell in a year? Thanks, but no thanks!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks