Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd January 2012, 19:09   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Want to ship bike from pune to delhi and back, need suggestions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by padikpanther View Post
A week later, reaching Pune around 5pm, we were told that we can collect our bikes only the next day morning after 11am. No reason given even after some Vitamin M was shown.
Typical government office mentality. They shut close at 5 p.m. A lot of the smaller station offices stop working by 4.30 p.m. even though the office would be open. Actually the best time to pickup the bike is early morning.
Old 4th January 2012, 11:48   #17
BHPian

It was very unclear as you were not allowed to pickup your bike. If you have taken them as luggage (not as parcel), you can pick them as from the train with you. I have picked up bike from Pune station two times at about 4-5 in morning with no problem. If you have taken the bike as 'parcel' - a cheaper option - then you have to take the delivery during the office hours i.e. 9-5 or in that vicinity.

Same here Ani Meher, even we were unclear and the authorities were least concerned about enlightening the lesser mortals. This happened in 2004 (and I hope things have improved) and I don't clearly recollect whether it was 'parcel' or 'luggage'.
But let me quote a friends experience over here - hailing from Bhopal he was in Pune for his post graduation and had got his bike transported to Pune. After his PG when he shifted back to Bhopal, he had the bike in the same train as he was traveling. Right now, a bit unsure whether it was Jammu Tavi or Zhelum Express, anyways, when this friend got down at Bhopal, the authorities refused to open the luggage/parcel compartment and my friend got his bike on the return journey of the same train when it halted at Bhopal
Old 4th January 2012, 11:58   #18
Senior - BHPian

Sagar, go to any Maruti dealer nearby. Ask for their trailer truck arrival date. They virtually go back empty to Gurgaon. Sometimes, they have few cars on it. Struck a deal (With owner of trailer of travel company. Not with driver) and they cannot delay beyond specified time or unless some unforeseen happens.

Load you bike in car trailer and tie it properly with rope so that it should not fall down. Get your bike in Gurgaon. One of my friend used this method to transport his bike and car together to Delhi from Bangalore.
Old 4th January 2012, 12:08   #19
BHPian

Isn't that illegal? A bike cannot be just loaded onto an empty truck, you'll need to have document clearly showing who's the consignee, shipper etc (basically paperwork to prove that the shipment is an authorized commercial transaction and not an attempt to smuggle/move stolen goods).

Besides, RM is more about meeting other folks, comparing notes and having a good time. Will there be any hardcore riding done during the RM? If not, it's always better to hire/borrow a bike in Delhi.
Old 4th January 2012, 12:16   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by singhsid View Post
Isn't that illegal? A bike cannot be just loaded onto an empty truck, you'll need to have document clearly showing who's the consignee, shipper etc (basically paperwork to prove that the shipment is an authorized commercial transaction and not an attempt to smuggle/move stolen goods).
It is not illegal. He is not shipping his bike outside India. Travel company who owns truck would be shipper and he should issue proper receipt for the same.

Infact for Pune - Bangalore there are many Volvos which take bike as luggage in their bus. Many of the bikes fit in Volvos luggage carrier.
Old 4th January 2012, 13:37   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
Many of the bikes fit in Volvos luggage carrier.
Sadly, not Bullets. Not even race-stripped ones. Tried and tested.

A truck is the worst way to transport a bike. It will keep banging around regardless of how tightly you tether it. Again, personal experience.

Sagar, there are logistics guys at Pune station who have a 6-month license/contract for reserving space on entire brake vans (ditto for Delhi back to Pune).

This is a Lalu era legacy on many high volume routes. The rates are a few hundred bucks more as I recall.

I used that route last time to get my bike to Delhi for my Leh ride (though there was a fellow rider traveling on the same train with his own bike as well).
Old 4th January 2012, 13:56   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
Sagar, go to any Maruti dealer nearby. Ask for their trailer truck arrival date. They virtually go back empty to Gurgaon. Sometimes, they have few cars on it. Struck a deal (With owner of trailer of travel company. Not with driver) and they cannot delay beyond specified time or unless some unforeseen happens.

Load you bike in car trailer and tie it properly with rope so that it should not fall down. Get your bike in Gurgaon. One of my friend used this method to transport his bike and car together to Delhi from Bangalore.
Anuj, This is something really interesting, and i should explore this option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Sadly, not Bullets. Not even race-stripped ones. Tried and tested.

A truck is the worst way to transport a bike. It will keep banging around regardless of how tightly you tether it. Again, personal experience.

Sagar, there are logistics guys at Pune station who have a 6-month license/contract for reserving space on entire brake vans (ditto for Delhi back to Pune).

This is a Lalu era legacy on many high volume routes. The rates are a few hundred bucks more as I recall.

I used that route last time to get my bike to Delhi for my Leh ride (though there was a fellow rider traveling on the same train with his own bike as well).
Doc, sending by train is the most viable option I feel. However, the apprehension i have is to deal with monkeys there in parcel office in Delhi. Let me share my horrible experience. During my Ladhak ride, on the way back we decide to ship our bikes from Delhi and take a flight to Nagpur due to some urgency at home. We reached Delhi railway station, packed our bikes, sold the fuel (11 ltr) for 2 hundred rupees and entered the parcel office at 11.30pm. The guy who packed our bikes and promised the safe dispatch took the money and disappeared. Officer inside refused to take the bikes, and perhaps threatened us saying that these could be stolen from Karol Bagh bcoz we did not have RCs on our name for two of the bikes. And then came his pappu, who ensure the smooth process but demanded huge money.

It was such a situation that we decided to move out of that place immediately, but to our surprise we were stopped at the main gate saying that we are taking the vehicle from parcel office without a gate pass, and that these bike do not belong to us. That's where i lost my temper, and then it was head-on tussle with them. Somehow, they allowed us to come-out.

It was 12.30am then, we had ridden for whole day, empty stomach, mouth parched, moving around with riding gear on and whole luggage on the bike with no fuel. luckily a guy who was taking his pulser along in train gave us 1 litter petrol, which we distributed and headed towards the nearest gas station. That night we rode out of delhi, till 3.30am and reached near Mathura, where we had our dinner and night-stop.

This is experience is something i will never forget.
Old 4th January 2012, 13:57   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by throttleking

Arranging a bike there is a last option, and it is lot easier also, I can borrow it from fellow rider in Delhi. I just that i want to take my bike there and hence looking for best option to ship. If I was going by train, i would have taken it along, but I am flying and my tickets are also booked. Unfortunately train tickets are sold out.
For the love of your bike please do not ship it unless loading in a train and traveling on the same.
You could hire well maintained REs here www.meanderingindia.com - Rajiv Pradhan / 800 per day.
Please feel free to quote my reference.
Old 4th January 2012, 14:04   #24
Senior - BHPian

I agree Sagar. Delhi station (and those who run it) is the pits. Even getting your bike out of there is a process - with everything in order, it still takes a good 2+ hours before you are out on the road. But what we are saying is that its the best of all evils.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks