Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 17th March 2006, 07:09   #1
BANNED

Black Paint Work On Pulsar 150

I want to get my Pulsar 150 painted black so that it resembles the new Pulsar 180. I want the engine, alloys and exhaust painted black. Someone told me that powder coating can be done on the engine, alloys and exhaust.

What exactly is meant by powder coating ? Is it some type of enamel/metallic paint ?

And will the powder coating last long enough since it's done on the chrome which itself is some form of a coating ?

And will there be any adverse impact on the engine and the exhaust because of this black powder coating ?

And if any stones or any sharp object strikes the powder caoted surfaces during riding will there be any paint flaking and will it look weird after that ?

What will be the total cost for this paint business ?
Old 18th March 2006, 02:36   #2
BHPian

Best of Luck with the modding

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun
I want to get my Pulsar 150 painted black so that it resembles the new Pulsar 180. I want the engine, alloys and exhaust painted black. Someone told me that powder coating can be done on the engine, alloys and exhaust.

What exactly is meant by powder coating ? Is it some type of enamel/metallic paint ?

And will the powder coating last long enough since it's done on the chrome which itself is some form of a coating ?

And will there be any adverse impact on the engine and the exhaust because of this black powder coating ?

And if any stones or any sharp object strikes the powder caoted surfaces during riding will there be any paint flaking and will it look weird after that ?

What will be the total cost for this paint business ?

Hey mithun,
Black Powder coating means heating and covering the surface with a coat of black. it is exactly what is done on the new pulsars. It is not painting at all. this is a complete different process.

This differs from painting because you don't get a smooth laquered surface (like your tank,shield body parts) instead it is rough and non shiny.

and about your chrome parts, I Think before powder coating, the surface is either roughed or the chrome layer is removed(i think).

I don't think there will be any impact or adverse effects on the engine, otherwise the company would'nt have launched the 180's with that paint job.

since the surface is heated and coated with black, sharp objects might create scratches on it, but i dont think there is any other problems.

And as for the price the whole thing might cost you within 1000 Rs depending where you give it. and powder coating lasts long.

Have fun, will try to find the price and confirm the information i have given you, .

Last edited by adarshbr : 18th March 2006 at 02:37.
Old 20th March 2006, 10:02   #3
BANNED

Thanks to adarshbr for your wonderful reply.
Old 7th January 2007, 23:07   #4

hi guys,

basically got the same quo which has been asked above...my case tho is, had lived in chennai near a beach and the paint on ma engine was just eaten up climatic condition there...so i badly need a paint job for original pulsar 150 and was considering gettin it black...but ive heard my friends sayin that a black paint job would'nt sustain for a long period and would peel off due to the heat generated by the engine!...need advice badly!!!....would post pics soon!!
Old 8th January 2007, 01:38   #5
BHPian

Quote:
...but ive heard my friends sayin that a black paint job would'nt sustain for a long period and would peel off due to the heat generated by the engine!...
Not if its done properly. Seen examples for both. Powder coat would be a good option. But again painters have their secrets and are not willing to discuss their methods, thats the sad part. You have no idea about the job he's going to do or whether its the right one.
Old 8th January 2007, 13:21   #6
Senior - BHPian

contact nikkibike as he has done the same and he is from Cochin.
Old 11th January 2007, 19:35   #7
BHPian

Powder coating is matte finished and is obviously heat resistant. Infact that's the best way to paint any surface that would be exposed to high temperatures - silencers, engine etc...
Old 13th January 2007, 01:50   #8
BHPian

will this paint job be done in Bajaj showroom itself ? I hope the quality will be same as 180 if they can do it.
Old 27th December 2009, 10:05   #9
BANNED

Reviving an old thread !

I had seen lots of 150s painted black by the service centres and all of them are having the paint chipping/blistering/flaking. So it's not a wise idea to paint it black from the outside.
Old 13th May 2015, 11:59   #10
BHPian

Re: Black Paint Work On Pulsar 150

Would power-coating a Bullet's engine black would affect trap the heat inside the engine, making the engine operate on higher temperature? Would it cause issues if the bike is used for very long rides?

Most Viewed