Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 16th June 2016, 11:36   #16
BHPian

Re: Selling your motorcycle -- Checklist for a seller

OK here's another horror story,

- One of my friend sold his vehicle (4 wheeler) to a second hand car dealer. The vehicle was not transferred as it was given to a dealer (common but big mistake)

- The dealer sold the vehicle to person X.

- Smart person X did not transfer the vehicle and the dealer did not bother to intervene.

- The vehicle had a huge accident after 4 months killing the opp vehicle's driver. The family of the driver claims / files accident in court.

- The court sends the notice to original owner (my friend the seller) named in the RC book.

- My friend has to attend the court proceedings on every hearing since 2012 even though he had the delivery note (but it was not stamped and signed in front of a notary hence the court is giving them a hard time, the signed forms 28/29/30 and the delivery note is the only savior but the hassles of going to court is too much stressful)

- Insurance company denying the third party claim on account of sale but no transfer hence void basis

- Person X agrees to do out of court settlement with the deceased's family, after much deliberation and unjust fights with my friend. The harassment what my friend has gone through is too much of a dreadful story.

Moral of the story - Get the delivery note on a stamped paper in front of a notary (hardly it costs a couple of hundred rupees and 30 mins of time)
The Great is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2017, 16:43   #17
BANNED

I am planing to sell off my bike as it is not getting used at all now a days.

Any reputed dealer whom I can trust with regarding the paper works? I wont mind selling it off with 5K lesser amount, but piece of mind is what I want.

Do market places like Droom or Credr helps in paper works too? Any recommendation of any secondhand 2 wheeler dealer in Pune?
Old 18th September 2017, 13:59   #18
BHPian

I am planning to sell my bike to TVS dealer (its a TVS bike) but he is only giving original RTO delivery note signed and putting dealer seal. I am not sure if this is enough ? how should I proceed here ?
Old 18th September 2017, 14:08   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajay_J View Post
I am planning to sell my bike to TVS dealer (its a TVS bike) but he is only giving original RTO delivery note signed and putting dealer seal. I am not sure if this is enough ? how should I proceed here ?
IIRC, I also had received only the original RTO delivery note with dealer stamp and sign when I exchanged my Wego for an Apache in 2013.

However, what I did additionally was take photo copies of all RTO forms that I had to sign and got the dealer's stamp and sign on them too (with a brief text on them, something like "Received from Mr.XXXX YYYY on dd.mm.yyyy").

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 18th September 2017 at 14:13.
comfortablynumb is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2017, 14:10   #20
BHPian

Thanks for sharing!

I also check whether the transfer of the vehicle has been completed by sending a text 'VAHAN GJ01AA000X' (where GJ01AA000X is registration number) to 7738299899. It will send back the owner details of the vehicle.
bhavik.1991 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2017, 14:50   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
IIRC, I also had received only the original RTO delivery note with dealer stamp and sign when I exchanged my Wego for an Apache in 2013.

However, what I did additionally was take photo copies of all RTO forms that I had to sign and got the dealer's stamp and sign on them too (with a brief text on them, something like "Received from Mr.XXXX YYYY on dd.mm.yyyy").
Vikram
Thanks Vikram, but is that sufficient (technically) ?
Old 18th September 2017, 15:48   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajay_J View Post
Thanks Vikram, but is that sufficient (technically) ?
Sorry, no idea at all. It was just something I did on the spur of the moment, as an additional step to CMA (cover my ***).

Cheers,
Vikram
Old 27th August 2018, 15:39   #23
BHPian

Thanks for the blog.
Iam planning to sell my Apache RTR 160 of 2010 model. I have approached TVS showroom itself for an exchange offer. They informed me that it will take atleast 3 months for the transfer of ownership.
My query is who shall be responsible in case of any accidents because of vehicle? Because Iam not even aware who will be the second owner of the bike. What steps can be taken by me to keep myself safe? Any advice would be helpful.
Old 27th August 2018, 16:23   #24
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmind View Post
Thanks for the blog.
Iam planning to sell my Apache RTR 160 of 2010 model. I have approached TVS showroom itself for an exchange offer. They informed me that it will take atleast 3 months for the transfer of ownership.
My query is who shall be responsible in case of any accidents because of vehicle? Because Iam not even aware who will be the second owner of the bike. What steps can be taken by me to keep myself safe? Any advice would be helpful.
Just sharing my experience trading with Bajaj Showroom, they make you sign ownership transfer documents and fill in the name of one of their employees and process the transfer, so that the motorcycle is not in your name, once the new owner picks up the motorcycle from their used motorcycle sales showroom it is then transferred to their name.

As you can see in the below info retrieved from the Kerala MVD;

Name:  Capture.PNG
Views: 2013
Size:  7.6 KB

The second entry is of the Bajaj Showroom employee and you can see that shortly after ownership was transferred to the new owner.
ashwinprakas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th August 2018, 08:57   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwinprakas View Post
Just sharing my experience trading with Bajaj Showroom, they make you sign ownership transfer documents and fill in the name of one of their employees and process the transfer, so that the motorcycle is not in your name, once the new owner picks up the motorcycle from their used motorcycle sales showroom it is then transferred to their name.

As you can see in the below info retrieved from the Kerala MVD;
Thanks for the reply. That was really helpful.
Can you also help me with whats the procedure for ownership transfer if we want to sell by ourselves through OLX or Quickr? Do we need to take help of an RTA agent or can be managed by self? Hope your experience can be of help.
Old 14th September 2020, 14:26   #26
KPR
BANNED

I've a AP registered bike with me. I got NOC for the bike and relocated to TN. Some how I missed the 6 months deadline for re registering in TN in 2012. I've been renewing my insurance and using it for local errands. Now that I plan to sell this bike. There is a person who's interested in this AP bike as is condition. But the issue is even the buyer cannot re register here in TN as the NOC has lapsed. How can I sell it? Is a notarized delivery note will save me in case of any mishap/legal procedures ?
Old 3rd September 2021, 16:22   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPR View Post
I've a AP registered bike with me. I got NOC for the bike and relocated to TN. Some how I missed the 6 months deadline for re registering in TN in 2012. I've been renewing my insurance and using it for local errands. Now that I plan to sell this bike. There is a person who's interested in this AP bike as is condition. But the issue is even the buyer cannot re register here in TN as the NOC has lapsed. How can I sell it? Is a notarized delivery note will save me in case of any mishap/legal procedures ?
Dear KPR, have you got this resolved? I am in the same situation, MH bike in KA. Now a days I am not using bike regularly, hence want to sell it off. You experiance can help me out.
Old 4th September 2021, 04:50   #28
KPR
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillsnrains View Post
Dear KPR, have you got this resolved? I am in the same situation, MH bike in KA. Now a days I am not using bike regularly, hence want to sell it off. You experiance can help me out.
No. I'm continuing to use the bike for local errands only. I'm prompt in renewing insurance though.
KPR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2022, 23:54   #29
BHPian

Reviving an old thread. I’ve almost finalised a deal to sell my Mumbai registered bike to a person based out of Ahmednagar. This will require an RTO transfer. Can someone tell me what is the due process to be followed?
Old 29th August 2022, 17:03   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyNomad View Post
Reviving an old thread. I’ve almost finalized a deal to sell my Mumbai registered bike to a person based out of Ahmednagar. This will require an RTO transfer. Can someone tell me what is the due process to be followed?
You can get the information in this thread as well as on Parivahan.gov.in site.
However, one point I am not clear is: whether NOC is required from the RTO, if the selling and buying RTOs are in the same state (neighboring districts only).

Thanks

Last edited by LongDrive lover : 29th August 2022 at 17:05.

Most Viewed