Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th January 2012, 11:56   #1
Senior - BHPian

Selling your motorcycle -- Checklist for a seller

Folks,
I'm selling my bike and was wondering if selling a used bike needs to follow the same documentation & steps as selling a car.
If not, can you guys help me understand what papers do i make sure i get the buyer signed and what papers do i need to submit in the RTO to inform them of transfer of ownership.
I don't want to just take money and hand over the keys without ensuring all the paperwork. The buyer seems to be a dealer and i don't trust him much. Just that he is offering a price i don't want to refuse.
Thanks!
Nilesh
Old 6th January 2012, 12:13   #2
BHPian

Re: Selling your motorcycle -- Checklist for a seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilesh5417 View Post
Folks,
I'm selling my bike and was wondering if selling a used bike needs to follow the same documentation & steps as selling a car.
If not, can you guys help me understand what papers do i make sure i get the buyer signed and what papers do i need to submit in the RTO to inform them of transfer of ownership.
I don't want to just take money and hand over the keys without ensuring all the paperwork. The buyer seems to be a dealer and i don't trust him much. Just that he is offering a price i don't want to refuse.
Thanks!
Nilesh
The documentation more or less is the same for all the auto related transfers.

Make sure you get a copy of the RTO forms (the 28, 29, and the 30 numbered forms with the original delivery note, freely available at the RTO). Generally people forget the importance of a delivery note and a copy of transferred name on the Registration Book/ Card, whereas these are the most important documentation in selling a vehicle.

Keep your old Registration Book or Card copy along with the delivery note. Also insist on the Registration Book/ Card copy after the bike has been transferred to another buyer. Although this may take time in your case since its a dealer in between but in my opinion do insist on this whenever he sells the vehicle to any buyer, till then the delivery note is your only proof.

And one more thing, after the bike's ownership title is transferred you can even ask the insurance company for a refund of premium for the balance months, if any. Incase you aren't giving the insurance to the buyer. This may sound cheap but it sure makes a difference in bigger vehicles where the premiums are heavy and the seller does not have this info. Incase you are giving the bike along with the insurance, inform him to transfer the name in the policy within 14 days of the transfer or else the insurance may become viod, or may require more procedures like inspection's to transfer. I thought this info may be useful pertaining to this topic hence shared.

Cheers.

Last edited by The Great : 6th January 2012 at 12:17.
The Great is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 6th January 2012, 12:34   #3
Team-BHP Support

The Great has covered the imp. points but I'd like to stress on the delivery note.

Be it a dealer or an individual, make sure you have a documented proof of the sale; that will absolve you of any mishap the bike is involved in.

If the buyer is an individual, you'd have to sign on the RTO Forms for transfer of ownership.

Fairly simple process.
libranof1987 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th January 2012, 13:13   #4
Senior - BHPian

I find selling more tricky than buying. Good you posted this thread. Not only the paper work is important, you should also make sure that they do transfer it as soon as possible in their name.
You'll have to give the bike, original papers and original insurance to the buyer so that he can take that to RTO office and get things done. Mostly try to go along with them. But if that is not possible then do keep something to call them back like spare keys, tool kit or other accessories and tell them you'll give these once they give you copy of transfer. It sounds harsh but mostly it works.
Ym-enjn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2012, 11:33   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great View Post
The documentation more or less is the same for all the auto related transfers.

Make sure you get a copy of the RTO forms (the 28, 29, and the 30 numbered forms with the original delivery note, freely available at the RTO). Generally people forget the importance of a delivery note and a copy of transferred name on the Registration Book/ Card, whereas these are the most important documentation in selling a vehicle.
Thanks! The buyer in my case doesn't have a license (for some weird reason) and has sent me a scanned copy of his passport. What sort of documentation do i need from him to go through with the sale cleanly? I mean i want to be clear about the transfer from my side.

Last edited by mobike008 : 23rd January 2012 at 14:50. Reason: Please DO NOT quote large text, videos and pictures as it inconveniences our mobile users. Thanks!
Old 24th January 2012, 01:33   #6
Senior - BHPian

Also make sure the buyer transfers the vehicle in his name ASAP along with other paper work like insurance etc.

My experience: I had sold my Wind125 when I wasn't in Bangalore. and cops land up one day saying the bike owner had hit and run over someone (in rural Bangalore).

The cops who visited were decent enough and luckily my dad had the sale receipt signed by the buyer and he had also left his contact details. That saved us from a lot of hassle of proving I wasn't the rider.
Shubz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2012, 10:40   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilesh5417 View Post
Thanks! The buyer in my case doesn't have a license (for some weird reason) and has sent me a scanned copy of his passport. What sort of documentation do i need from him to go through with the sale cleanly? I mean i want to be clear about the transfer from my side.
If the buyer does not have a valid license, then that's a bigger risk, since if he crashes against someone, you'll be in big trouble if the name hasn't been changed on the RC book. Although ownership of a motorcycle and having a valid license is not related, one is needed to operate the other anyway.

Make sure u take a day off, go along with him to the RTO, sign all the forms, take his signature on the delivery note and get the acknowledgement from the RTO for the document submission. You can take an auto back home with a relaxed feeling that you have done your part and are safe against anything that he does with the motorcycle. The liability is no longer on you.

Prajwal
prajwalkashyap is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2012, 11:59   #8
Senior - BHPian

Please note that a Delivery Note is not sufficient evidence of the vehicle being sold as most buyers don't sign it in their actual signature. Few sellers check the signature for authenticity by comparing with driving license, payment check etc.

It is better to spend the time and money and get the details of the sale signed by both parties in the presence of, and attested by a notary.
gsferrari is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th January 2012, 12:18   #9
Senior - BHPian

Apart from the RTO related documentation, please ensure that all access stickers [for office complexes, housing societies, gyms etc] are removed from your vehicle to prevent someone else from misusing them. This is applicable while selling your car too.

Cheers,
Vikram
comfortablynumb is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2012, 14:41   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsferrari View Post
Please note that a Delivery Note is not sufficient evidence of the vehicle being sold as most buyers don't sign it in their actual signature. Few sellers check the signature for authenticity by comparing with driving license, payment check etc.

It is better to spend the time and money and get the details of the sale signed by both parties in the presence of, and attested by a notary.
The simple stamp paper agreement signed in presence of a notary is the best possible option which people tend to ignore thinking its a waste of time and money or its supposed to be too cliche'. But as a matter of fact its the best possible documentary evidence.

Even if the vehicle is sold to a broker, the agreement could/ should be made that he is buying the vehicle from you and hence forth you aren't related to the vehicle's future events.

Good point brought out gsferrari sir.
The Great is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2014, 15:50   #11
Senior - BHPian

I have a MH registered bike(MH12-Pune) here in Bangalore with me. 2007 RTR 160 with minor upgrade(172cc big-bore and FFE installed). Can I sell it off here in Bangalore by any chance?

Thanks in advance
Old 16th June 2016, 09:03   #12
Senior - BHPian

I sold two of my TVS mopeds. I have duly signed form 29, 30 in originals, copy of insurance and RC.

Now, herein lies the issue. Both these guys are requesting for more time to transfer the RC, owing to their own personal issues.

How do I play it from here? Should I send a photocopy of the above docs/or the original form 29,30 to my RTO with a letter that I've sold my moped? Or should I wait for them to transfer?

At a later stage, in case it's not getting transferred by them, I'll file an FIR.
Saying that I've sold the same to x person and he's not getting it transferred.

Last edited by coolkurt : 16th June 2016 at 09:07.
Old 16th June 2016, 09:22   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolkurt View Post
I sold two of my TVS mopeds. I have duly signed form 29, 30 in originals, copy of insurance and RC.

Now, herein lies the issue. Both these guys are requesting for more time to transfer the RC, owing to their own personal issues.

How do I play it from here? Should I send a photocopy of the above docs/or the original form 29,30 to my RTO with a letter that I've sold my moped? Or should I wait for them to transfer?

At a later stage, in case it's not getting transferred by them, I'll file an FIR.
Saying that I've sold the same to x person and he's not getting it transferred.
In any case you should be sending one original Form 29 (there will be two original Form 29 in one set) along with other documents to your RTO intimating them on the sale of vehicle and keep the acknowledgement.

Otherwise, if there is any accident or any issue with the vehicle, you may be in trouble.

This thread may help you.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/owning...car-india.html
Old 16th June 2016, 09:31   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

I am unaware of the laws for transferring the ownership of vehicles in India but I do have a little horror story about selling a vehicle in the US.

A friend once sold his car to another person.
The State laws say he must send in his proof of registration with the name and address of the buyer when this happens but, he was unaware of this requirement so he gave the proof of registration along with the signed title of ownership indicating that he had sold it and the vehicle to the new owner.

The new owner did not attempt to register the vehicle or complete the transfer of the title to his own name.

He then drove the vehicle, parking it where ever he wanted to for as long as he wanted to.

My friend started receiving notifications about parking violations with court orders to pay them immediately.

He had cashed the check so he no longer had that and as he had given the proof of registration and the title to the new owner, he had no proof that he had ever sold the car.

A few months were needed to unravel the problem with the aid of a lawyer.
It cost him more than the selling price of the vehicle to pay the lawyer and he felt lucky to even get out of this mess.

If I sold a vehicle to someone and they resisted transferring the needed paperwork I would demand to regain possession of it and I would hold it until all of the transfer process was totally complete.
After the new owner proved he/she had the papers in hand, they could take possession with my blessing.
ArizonaJim is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th June 2016, 10:40   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaJim View Post
I am unaware of the laws for transferring the ownership of vehicles in India but I do have a little horror story about selling a vehicle in the US.

If I sold a vehicle to someone and they resisted transferring the needed paperwork I would demand to regain possession of it and I would hold it until all of the transfer process was totally complete.
After the new owner proved he/she had the papers in hand, they could take possession with my blessing.
Jim mate similar horror stories happens in India as well wherein the buyer does not transfer his name of ownership after buying nor does the seller proactively transfers the car in buyers name during the selling process. Call it callousness on the sellers part or an over smart buyer who will have the advantage of selling the vehicle by calling it a single owner vehicle as he has not yet transferred the vehicle on his name which will make him the second owner thereby reducing the price of vehicle whenever he plans to sell it off.

There are threads on this very forum where some sellers have suffered due to this non transfer of ownership by the buyer. In fact the seller should ensure that all the transfer of ownership paper work has been done before handing over the keys to the buyer. Of all the used vehicles I have bought I always make sure to get the paper work done with regards to transfer of ownership from sellers side before taking the keys. In terms of law Ignorance is not a Bliss.

Last edited by navin_v8 : 16th June 2016 at 10:41.
navin_v8 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks