Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th January 2012, 12:16   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

Puzzling gear shift behaviour in my Pulsar 180 UG3

Dear Mods, There are threads on gear issues of pulsar on the forum but the issue i am facing is a unique one which is not documented anywhere in web so starting a new thread for this.

Bike-Pulsar 180 UG3
ODO-32000 kms
Clutch changed at 29K

Hello fellow bikers, i definately need all your help to solve this issue since the bajaj service center has washedd their hands off the issue.

The bike is started in the morning(cold start).Gear in 1st and start moving,At 4K RPM/15 kmph i depress the clutch,release the throttle and pull the gear lever up to slot into second.But the bike does not go to second instead goes to neutral.Its ok i think(normal pulsar behaviour).now i pull the gear lever again and try to slot from neutral to second.But the second gear does not engage at all and the neural indicator is still on. After few attempts and kicking down the lever(The gear lever moves but gear does not engage),slotting to first again and pulling back to second, the gear eventually slots into second.

At any RPM greater than 4.5K(bike warmed up), the bike never slots from 1st->2nd gear!Only the lever moves,but the lock does not happen

Even after the bike is sufficiently warmed up(say around 3 kms of riding) , this gear engaging problem exists ! Gear shifts from 2->3,3->4,4->5 do not happen at higher RPM(>5K) most of the times.However, sometimes they do slot,ie,after trying multiple times.Again in all these cases ,the gear lever moves but the gear does not lock.

The bajaj service center replaced 2 springs and supposedly solved the problem.But,the problem was as it is when i took the delivery.They were adament saying everything is proper.According to them only the springs can be changed in a pulsar gearbox,nothing else!

And i heard a shocking statement from their technician-

The gear should not be shifted above 4000 RPM in any gear since it will damage the gearbox ,so the gears wont shift,its a design constraint it seems!! Irony is i have been riding this bike for 31000 kms,many times upshifting at 7K RPM or even redline,but have not faced this issue!

One more observation is when the bike is in motion is any gear and throttle NOT in closed position ,the gear lever should not move when pressed.In my case the lever moves freely in all the gears when riding.In 5th gear if i press the lever it still goes down like a limp arm without any bone in it.

I am at dead end with this . Its a pain to drive in traffic since sometimes the gear does not slot from 1st->2nd and i am forced to start in second gear only! Once i had a close miss where i revved my bike to 7K RPM to shift from 2->3 but the gear had not engaged as a result i had a bad wheel spin when i left the clutch lever .

Guys,please help me solve this issue. This bike is my daily commute and cant do without it! I am tired and frustrated with this issue!
Old 6th January 2012, 12:40   #2
BHPian

Re: Puzzling gear shift behaviour in my Pulsar 180 UG3-Experts intervention needed

There is a small circular object in the gear box, which is most probably called the shifter ring, it a circular object with some post coming out of it. Most probably it is worn out. Maximum issues like this occurs due to that object only. Try to talk with your service advisor and get it changed.
sumitkalindi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2012, 12:57   #3
Senior - BHPian

Re: Puzzling gear shift behaviour in my Pulsar 180 UG3-Experts intervention needed

simple issue - the shifter mechanism inside GB is gone for a toss. Assuming you use your bike for daily commute in city traffic - 32K kms is a LONG time for it to last on a pulsar range!! All notchy pulsar GB's have this issue. Dont fret a lot, take it a competent mechanic (authorized, probiking or even a road side is OK) but not to the moron who said dont shift >4K!! - your issue will vanish...

PS - is BSK2nd stage (auto service, pro biking service station) possible/near for you to get your 180 serviced?

PS - I read your post again - which Bajaj service center said that horse dump in your ^ post? Name, address please...!! best to avoid that place!

Last edited by svsantosh : 6th January 2012 at 12:58.
svsantosh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2012, 14:11   #4
BHPian

LOL..Going by the mechanic's statement my pulsar should be now running on its 3rd engine ,but its not, going strong at 50k plus.
As said by other Bhpian's above your shifter mechanism seems to be worn out or at the end of its life.
As far as i remember I haven't faced any issues with shifter wearing out.Yes it smoetimes slip to false neutrals.
bullboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2012, 15:30   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumitkalindi View Post
There is a small circular object in the gear box, which is most probably called the shifter ring, it a circular object with some post coming out of it. Most probably it is worn out. Maximum issues like this occurs due to that object only. Try to talk with your service advisor and get it changed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
simple issue - the shifter mechanism inside GB is gone for a toss. Assuming you use your bike for daily commute in city traffic - 32K kms is a LONG time for it to last on a pulsar range!! All notchy pulsar GB's have this issue. Dont fret a lot, take it a competent mechanic (authorized, probiking or even a road side is OK) but not to the moron who said dont shift >4K!! - your issue will vanish...

PS - is BSK2nd stage (auto service, pro biking service station) possible/near for you to get your 180 serviced?

PS - I read your post again - which Bajaj service center said that horse dump in your ^ post? Name, address please...!! best to avoid that place!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullboy View Post
LOL..Going by the mechanic's statement my pulsar should be now running on its 3rd engine ,but its not, going strong at 50k plus.
As said by other Bhpian's above your shifter mechanism seems to be worn out or at the end of its life.
As far as i remember I haven't faced any issues with shifter wearing out.Yes it smoetimes slip to false neutrals.
Thanks a lot for your valuable advice. So shifter mechanism it is! I dont know how those dumb heads at bajaj never thought of this.Will ask them to replace it right away.The part costs 250 bucks.
Old 6th January 2012, 16:13   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Will ask them to replace it right away.The part costs 250 bucks
I hope you are aware but would like to point that its not the shifter lever , but the spring + the gear ,rings that connect it with gear.
Old 6th January 2012, 19:19   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullboy
I hope you are aware but would like to point that its not the shifter lever , but the spring + the gear ,rings that connect it with gear.
Ya, I got it. Its the inner part and not the exterior lever. Just came back after enquiring at a local spare part shop . Apparently there are two different models for ug3. Have to check which one is the correct one
Old 7th January 2012, 17:01   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

I got the shifter along with another part called star changed and the problem is solved. I am a happy man once again.

Thanks once again to sumit, santosh,bullboy for identifying the cause of the problem and providing a solution so fast.
Old 8th January 2012, 16:08   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumitkalindi View Post

Sumit,this part is called as a "star" in workshop lingo.Dunno its exact name.
Its a hexagon structure with protrusions from each vertex. Costs around 130 bucks. It was changed too along with the gear shifter.However the main problem was with the shifter.
sagarpadaki is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th January 2012, 12:03   #10
BHPian

One small advice, try to use toe shifting than using heel shifting, Toe shifting ruins your shoes but is more softer on the shift mechanism than Heel shift. I always toe shift and my P150 has already run more than 125000 Km's without any gear related issues, it is butter smooth as new.
Old 12th January 2012, 15:41   #11
Senior - BHPian

so what did the shifter cost? and the labor for fitting it? my 220 is due for the same part and the signature oil leak from valve door/rubber seal above the right spark plug!!
Old 13th January 2012, 22:29   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh
so what did the shifter cost? and the labor for fitting it? my 220 is due for the same part and the signature oil leak from valve door/rubber seal above the right spark plug!!
Shifter costs 220 bucks. Labor another 100

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks