Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st January 2012, 16:30   #16
BHPian

Re: Most uncomfortable seats in Indian motorcycles

This is one of the main reason, why im not able to use my Karizma daily. The seat is so bad that im always seating on the front 10% portion of the seat. No matter how much i try and sit behind, i slide and end up sitting on half seat and half tank in not more than 0.2 kms. Same goes for the rear seat.

I think the designers give more attention to the looks of these wannabe 'sports bikes' like pulsars and Karizmas and focus less on practical issues like comfort etc.
Old 21st January 2012, 16:43   #17
BHPian

Although the Bullet has been traditionally a very good bike for both the rider and the pillion, I find that the classic range poor on both the parameters. I dont know whether its due to the low set handlebars or due to the spring action of the riders seat, but long drives on the classic is a bit tiring for the back. I have heard many classic users complain about the same thing.

Also the pillion seat is placed a tad too low and coupled with a soft cushion and narrow width becomes a bit uncomfortable for users.
Old 21st January 2012, 16:46   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbokick View Post
Pillion seats :
- Hunk/CBZ (hard ride and puny seats)
Ah looks like I've some company! But the problem is that the seat needs to go well with the overall styling of the bike. The Hunk's rider seat is alright, but the pillion's lacks cushion and is pretty narrow. Adding some cushion will also ruin the overall design flow of the bike. I'm considering keeping an air pillow under the seat which can be used when I'm going 20+km with a pillion.

Coming to the V2 R15, I still don't understand why they did away with the grab rails. The pillion has to hold on to a strap of sorts which when held might send out the wrong impression to a third person.

Last edited by ashwin.terminat : 21st January 2012 at 16:48.
Old 21st January 2012, 17:42   #19
Senior - BHPian

IMHO, there's not really any uncomfortable riding position as one has to learn how to choose his ride (rather than saying I've Rs xx & I want to buy something within it) & how to sit on the ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IQBAL VEERJI View Post
To make my point clear I am uploading photos of my very own Yamaha FZ.
In this bike you cannot do long distance rides just because of this seat.
There're quite a big group that has done several 100's Kms (personally I know more than 800 Kms) a day. If I'm not wrong, Fazer & FZ have same type of seat & known acquaintance of mine has done a saddle sore (1600 Kms) in 24 hours.
Old 21st January 2012, 17:54   #20
Senior - BHPian

Most uncomfortable seats are on SBKs-- R1s, CBR1000s, GSX1000s. The rider keeps sliding into the tank and the pillion-er keeps sliding into the rider. Also, pillion-er sits one floor above rider. It looks very odd to others on road. However, Hayabusa, being a sport-tourer fares better than the above. Most comfortable seat is on Activa but it is a scooter.
Old 21st January 2012, 18:11   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaurusAl View Post
This is one of the main reason, why im not able to use my Karizma daily. The seat is so bad that im always seating on the front 10% portion of the seat. No matter how much i try and sit behind, i slide and end up sitting on half seat and half tank in not more than 0.2 kms. Same goes for the rear seat.

I think the designers give more attention to the looks of these wannabe 'sports bikes' like pulsars and Karizmas and focus less on practical issues like comfort etc.
I guess Karizma has the most comfortable seat. I have done 200 KM round trip in a day and no issues with seating comfort.
Old 21st January 2012, 19:16   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Although by no means uncomfortable, I have an embarrassing inconvenience with the seating on my 2011 Thunderbird . Beyond 1 hour of continuous riding, my posterior goes to sleep! This is despite type of trousers worn and not keeping anything in my back pockets.
Old 21st January 2012, 20:10   #23
BHPian

The Honda Dio rules the lot!(Even though it's a MotoScooter)
I sit on a small piece of sponge supported by a plastic frame with the thickness of 2-3 milli meters,the glue that holds the fabric and the sponge on top of the plastic frame is gravity(Earlier it used to be stapled pins,but now it has rusted and left behind some holes)!
The maximum kilometers one can do on it without feeling sorry for the hienies,is about 10 Kilo meters.
"If" the plastic frame gives way,due to my large frame,then I would be seated in very warm place that,for carfreaks,looks like the Tata Nano's glove box!

Last edited by Patriot_Vishwas : 21st January 2012 at 20:14.
Old 21st January 2012, 20:23   #24
Senior - BHPian

For single ride FZ seat is fine, but rear is pretty bad for pillion riders. If you take your girl in FZ for a long ride above 100 kms, i bet she will never sit on your bike again.
Old 21st January 2012, 20:44   #25
BHPian

Of all the bikes I have ridden I find P220 uncomfortable but only in a bizarre way. I find the saddle a very stiff and rock-solid hard place to be on. The tank, saddle and foot-peg geometry is not at all in sync. Because of the saddle and peg-positioning your knee always rests half on the fairing and half on the tank. It bugs me all the time during long trips! Otherwise, this bike is quite a comfortable mile-muncher!

Then is my RTR, no matter how farther back you sit on the saddle, you'd always end up sliding on the tank. Within 4-5 minutes of riding you are above the tank. Seats are comparatively softer than the P220 though. Pillion seat is cramped, not in the same league as of the FZ but neither is it better than the split-seat of the P220.

The Apache 150 takes the cake for me though. It has super-stiff and tiny seats, front and rear foot-pegs are almost positioned at the same place. You sit in a very weird position as a pillion. Then in start-stop traffic, the rider's feet keep fighting for space with that of the pillion's. On the whole, this combination makes for a dreadful ride every time you ride as a pillion.

R15 has the most spot-on riding position. I am talking of the V1.0 here. It has this seats-of-the-pants feel while riding, so, I haven't really cared to check the stiffness of its seat. Riding with a pillion robs everything from this bike though. If the pillion is on a tad heavier side, it gets uncomfortable. Feels like you are in a see-saw sort of thing! For the pillion it gets much worse. The rider sits spot-on whereas the pillion seat is flat and upright, and the pillion-pegs are further rear-set. Looks and feels racy but with the rider hunched over you look like an idiot spectator of speed with no aim in life. It's good to see that Yamaha has ditched the pillion completely with the V2.0!

Can't tell more other bikes' seat, but as far as I can remember, Unicorn and Star-City have the most comfortable seats. Star-City's saddle is like hanging off a tree branch; it's very floppy and comfortable.
Shivank is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2012, 21:05   #26
BHPian

I am just about 5.6" and I find the Hunk's rider seat very uncomfortable, leave alone the pillon rider seat.

Just after a ride from Pune to Mumbai (Bandra-Kurla COmplex) I have decided never to find myslef on hunk's back seat. No, never.

Compared to these seats, seats from Ambition 133 cc (the very first model with round head lamps) was very comfortable. Both front and rear. Had done a minimum of 20 rides to mumbai and back and had ridden it for 78K in 7 years. Never ever got a chance to complain about its sitting position or the seat comfort.
Old 21st January 2012, 22:59   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
I guess Karizma has the most comfortable seat. I have done 200 KM round trip in a day and no issues with seating comfort.

Totally Agree. Even for pillion it is quite good. However none beats Kinetic Blaze when it comes to rider comfort. It is like a sofa. For pillion getting up on the 2nd floor was a problem. In fact i always had to tilt the scooter to let the pillion get on/off the seat. Even then the seat is wide and well cushioned.
shubhamAT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2012, 14:49   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
Although by no means uncomfortable, I have an embarrassing inconvenience with the seating on my 2011 Thunderbird . Beyond 1 hour of continuous riding, my posterior goes to sleep! This is despite type of trousers worn and not keeping anything in my back pockets.
I have noticed that on my Avenger, I am quite comfortable over long distances if I sit far back in the seat. However if I sit forward (when there is a pillion and bag in between) then my pelvic area soon becomes numb. Changing your seating position during the ride might help.
Old 22nd January 2012, 17:06   #29
BHPian

re: Most Uncomfortable & Most Comfortable seats - Indian motorcycles

Quote:
Originally Posted by highway_star View Post
I have noticed that on my Avenger, I am quite comfortable over long distances if I sit far back in the seat. However if I sit forward (when there is a pillion and bag in between) then my pelvic area soon becomes numb. Changing your seating position during the ride might help.

Absolutely, Groin becoming numb after a 10 km ride is what i face in my karizma if i seat close to the tank. You cannot sit behind as you can do in Avenger due to sloppy seat.
Old 22nd January 2012, 20:21   #30
Senior - BHPian

Most Comfortable seats -Indian Motorcycles.

After my earlier thread of Uncomfortable seats, Now I am starting a new thread of Most Comfortable seats found in Indian motorcycles and scooters.
In my view full marks goes to Bajaj Avenger,R.E. Bullet Standard earlier models, old Honda CD100, Bajaj super, 150, priya scooters, chetak, kinetic honda.
Yamaha RD 350,Yamaha RX 100, these are the ones I can think of right now.Guys pls add your list also. I am posting one photo of Avenger to start with, it shows how easily and comfortably both rider and pillion are seated..Regards....
Attached Thumbnails
Most Uncomfortable & Most Comfortable seats - Indian motorcycles-jjj-062.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks