Team-BHP > Motorbikes

Search this Thread
Old 2nd February 2012, 22:05   #61
BHPian

re: Most Uncomfortable & Most Comfortable seats - Indian motorcycles

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 14th February 2012 at 14:46.
TaurusAl is offline   Received Infraction
Old 2nd February 2012, 22:21   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by recker_us View Post
Might still have to stick on to P-150. Need your help or guidance on what kind of modifications can be done to the seat so that the next trip is more comfortable. I am fine even if it involves completely chnaging the seats.. But the question is which seat to replace it with? This time I need to be careful not only with the bottoms also also my back.
I'd like to know the answer to this too, any changes that can be made that will add to the comfort of both the rider and pillion while not affecting the overall design flow of the bike?
Old 2nd February 2012, 22:36   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin.terminat View Post
I'd like to know the answer to this too, any changes that can be made that will add to the comfort of both the rider and pillion while not affecting the overall design flow of the bike?

Pulsar seat upgrade ...DIY . - India Travel Forum, BCMTouring
Old 3rd February 2012, 11:46   #64
BHPian

Proper driving posture in Impulse is such that back is upright, hands are relaxed with elbow dropping below the handle so that neither wrist nor shoulders are under stress. Seat is padded sufficiently - not too soft not too hard. On my first highway drive, I didn't feel any fatigue or stress (I even felt sleepy, so got offroad to fight the boredom).
But for some reason, these days am observing that my left hand doesn' t like relaxed posture so much. I often have to keep stretching it, cruising with other hand .
Old 6th February 2012, 11:34   #65
Senior - BHPian

Most Uncomfortable & Most Comfortable seats - Indian motorcycles-parichay_r15-2.0.jpg

This is my 4th bike till date, and without any doubt - the R15 2.0 has the most uncomfortable seats of them all.

(2006 Apache, 2008 Avenger 200, 2010 Apache RTR, 2011 - Present R15 2.0)

The rider seat is super inclined, you keep sliding onto the tank all the time.
The rear seat comfort, do i even mention it - just look where the pillion would sit; comfort is just out of question.

Because the rider seat is so inclined and the riding position being extremely sporty - palms / arms start hurting within 15-30 minutes of riding.

If you have a pillion riding with you, he/she has no other option but to lean on you; this adds to the pressure on your wrists further worsening the pain.

The seat is so hard you would feel like you are riding on granite flooring. The rear starts hurting and gets sore within a few minutes of riding, and if the roads are bad - only a pillow underneath is a solution.

But then, stay 4-5 steps away from the bike and look at it, the razor sharp R6 inspired looks make up for all the pain.
Old 6th February 2012, 12:46   #66
BHPian

I read this thread a few weeks back, didn't comment then, but all I can say to all you cribbing guys is "You are sitting on it wrongly". Bikes are meant to be compact, so if 2 heavy 6-footers have to ride on it, there will be some coziness. In case anybody has specific queries on how they can be more comfortable on their respective bikes, please feel free to quote this post / PM me. I will be more than happy to help.

Edit: Manufacturers use hard seats for a reason. Soft seats like those on the Bullet Standard are horrible if you need to go 100km/butt break. On a comparatively harder seat like that of a Pulsar / R15 you can do a thousand + km in a day and your arse still won't hurt. But the point still remains that you need to sit right. As car enthusiasts on a primarily car-oriented community, we must never forget that a motorcycle is not a car and comfort on both cannot be judged by the same yardstick.

Edit 2: R15 (Both V1 and V2) is supposed to be a track oriented bike. If you bought it to carry a pillion for long distances, you've got the wrong bike bro.

Edit 3: @Suhaas When you brake hard when the passenger was not wearing the seat belt and ends up on the dashboard, it is not a fault of the seat. Similarly, If you start getting cozy with the rider whenever he brakes, it is not a fault of the seat. Rather you were holding onto the wrong stuff.

Edit 4: When blaming all these puny bikes, try sitting pillion on a Race Replica (or even the Ninja 250R). That, my friend, is an entirely different ball game.

Last edited by antz.bin : 6th February 2012 at 13:00.
antz.bin is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2012, 13:29   #67
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by antz.bin View Post

If you bought it to carry a pillion for long distances, you've got the wrong bike bro.
I agree that the bikes are not the commuter segment and not meant for the cause. But the seating position is such that even though it is 100% confidence inspiring - your hands get sore with or without a pillion.
Old 13th February 2012, 13:29   #68
Senior - BHPian

Re: Most Comfortable seats -Indian Motorcycles.

Hi guys, on saturday I got my Bullet's standard seat replaced by twin seats at Imran's shop at Andheri east.This was done for converting my already comfortable seat to more comfortable seat set.
This Imran is a master in doing such jobs of bike seats. He changed the entire set with metal bases and moulded foam. My old seat was returned back to me. I asked him for a little portion in the middle with gathers for both the seats which will look good,he did this for no extra cost. The Team Bhp Sticker was instantly fixed on the rear seat.
It took him almost four hrs in doing that GATHERS job. Same day I replaced my spoke wheels with RADO brand Alloy wheels along with both brand new MRF tyres.
While the wheels were being changed my tyre walla had kept a scrap hero honda rear wheel for support at the back, it looked very funny so I took a photo and will share it with you guys.
Attached Thumbnails
Most Uncomfortable & Most Comfortable seats - Indian motorcycles-mm-064.jpg  

Most Uncomfortable & Most Comfortable seats - Indian motorcycles-mm-065.jpg  

Most Uncomfortable & Most Comfortable seats - Indian motorcycles-mm-067.jpg  

Most Uncomfortable & Most Comfortable seats - Indian motorcycles-mm-068.jpg  

Most Uncomfortable & Most Comfortable seats - Indian motorcycles-mm-069.jpg  

Last edited by IQBAL VEERJI : 13th February 2012 at 13:31.
IQBAL VEERJI is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th February 2012, 17:06   #69
BHPian

I have an absolutely stock and original Yezdi Roadking with the original seat plate as well. I find it quite comfortable and seems to be well designed. Surprising for a design that is 30 odd years old.
vanam is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2013, 19:04   #70

Re: Most Uncomfortable & Most Comfortable seats - Indian motorcycles

Hi Friends,
Last week I got my new companion FZS (White & Blue). I had to bid adieu to my Fiero (10 yrs of relationship)...

After using FZ for a week (around 30 km every day), I started experiencing pain in my back & elbows, Never had this issue with my fiero.

I noticed few issues:
1. Rider seat is slightly inclined, so I tend to slide towards the Tank.
2. If I sit close to tank, there is not enough seating coushion space, so again pain in the back...
3. If I lean slightly & hold the handle, pain shifts from back to hands as my body weight shifts to my hands.

Still not able to figure out what is the best seating position...

Wanted get your expert feedback on what would be the ideal seating position for FZS.

While I'am typing this post, I still have pain in my left elbow...

Regards,
Babu D
Yamaha FZS (2013)
Fiero 2002
Old 14th January 2013, 00:57   #71
Senior - BHPian

[quote=IQBAL VEERJI;2679149]Hi guys, on saturday I got my Bullet's standard seat replaced by twin seats at Imran's shop at Andheri east./QUOTE]

Ive been looking for this guys shop. I heard hes really good. I will go to him soon. Need a good seat for the activa. Whats his number Iqbal ji??
Old 14th January 2013, 13:46   #72
Distinguished - BHPian

I have a '12 P180 UG4.5. I am 6ft and I find the bike to be very comfortable. I have done a couple of 700 km(took 12-14 hrs) and a couple of 350-400 kms trips and I was very fresh at the end of the day.

The only problem I faced is the hard seat which leads to butt-pain after about 100-150 kms. The problem is more pronounced for the pillion. Add to that the rear grab-rails which can be intruding for a healthy pillion rider.
Old 14th January 2013, 14:31   #73
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by antz.bin View Post
In case anybody has specific queries on how they can be more comfortable on their respective bikes, please feel free to quote this post / PM me. I will be more than happy to help.
I ride a Std 500 and a Duke 200 - both stock seats. Am always open to new ideas on how to make my rides more comfortable. Please share!

P.S. 6' tall, weigh 96 kg.
Old 14th January 2013, 14:36   #74
BHPian

As far as my experience goes, I would swear by RE Thunderbird.
I am 5.11 and with my 5.6 better half, we have done 400+ KMs in a single day. The driver seat is really King's seat with good amount of thigh support and the pillion's seat s long enough.
I have the 2002 model without gas suspensions and its right kind of stiff for long rides. Seat with the suspension and rightly placed foot rests makes it a pleasant experience for long rides.
Old 14th January 2013, 15:12   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
I ride a Std 500 and a Duke 200 - both stock seats. Am always open to new ideas on how to make my rides more comfortable. Please share!

P.S. 6' tall, weigh 96 kg.
Ebonho,
There are 2 ways on how you can make the rides more comfortable
1) Gel Seats --> Plan to get a gel seat for your Duke 200 which must be available outside but they can tend to be expensive. For the Std 500 you can get a gel sheet and have it custom cut to meet the STD 500 dimensions/shape.
You can try a similar thingy for the Duke

2) Gel Under Garments --> You can buy the cycling shorts which come padded with gel around the contact areas of your butt so that you do not feel the effects. But the downside is that your butt might look loud and a bit protruded out. If you can live with it they are very comfortable.

Haroon has mentioned in a different thread on this very forum about the products from this particular website.

http://www.ldcomfort.com/

Most Viewed