Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th January 2013, 15:27   #76
Senior - BHPian

Re: Most Uncomfortable & Most Comfortable seats - Indian motorcycles

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
For the Std 500 you can get a gel sheet and have it custom cut to meet the STD 500 dimensions/shape.
You can try a similar thingy for the Duke
What are these gel sheets? Where can we get them here? Any links?
Old 14th January 2013, 15:42   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
What are these gel sheets? Where can we get them here? Any links?
Ebonho,
My Apologies, should have been read more as gel pads. Have put in a couple of links for your reference. Obviously Uncle GooGle might help you better

http://www.fasteddysports.com/?page_id=3&category=248

https://www.gelcushionsgelpadsandgelmats.com/
ku69rd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2013, 15:43   #78
Distinguished - BHPian

Does anyone have any idea if the split seats available on the new Thunderbird 350 can be fitted on the older Thunderbird, specifically the AVL model? They sure look more comfortable than the older seat.
Old 14th January 2013, 16:09   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ebonho,
My Apologies, should have been read more as gel pads. Have put in a couple of links for your reference. Obviously Uncle GooGle might help you better

http://www.fasteddysports.com/?page_id=3&category=248

https://www.gelcushionsgelpadsandgelmats.com/
Man check out the prices quoted! For that price, I'll pull over to the side, get off, and smell the roses for a bit, as the circulation returns. LOL

P.S. Sitting on road construction sized stones at the side of the highway works like a charm - tried and tested!!!!

P.P.S. Strict no to any seam type undies, especially Frenchies and the type. Boxers or cycling shorts work best. As do summer leggings (the warm weather version of thermal inners).

But the second link has given me an idea. I'll check out with the local surgical suppliers if they have something similar (for patient's with piles, jeep bottom, or furuncules, for instance .....)

Last edited by ebonho : 14th January 2013 at 16:12.
ebonho is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2013, 16:15   #80
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But the second link has given me an idea. I'll check out with the local surgical suppliers if they have something similar (for patient's with piles, jeep bottom, or furuncules, for instance .....)
Agree to what you mention on the prices bit. All that I do is to wear those boxer briefs for the long rides and they are very comfortable. Those stylish undergarments are not practical for all day riding.

Yes I agree with your thought on sitting on road side kerb stones they even out the circulation faster and ideally stop once in 175 to 200 kms (before bladder asks for a break).

Do keep me posted around the surgical suppliers bit and I will be all ears to you.
ku69rd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2013, 23:27   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Came across this website http://www.gel-o-kare.com/gel-product.html while surfing through another forum (got the link http://www.bcmtouring.com/forum/trav...etails-t27315/. )
anilupadhya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th January 2013, 11:32   #82
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilupadhya View Post
Came across this website http://www.gel-o-kare.com/gel-product.html while surfing through another forum (got the link http://www.bcmtouring.com/forum/trav...etails-t27315/. )
Thanks bro! That's really helpful.

The Gel Coccyx Seat Cushion is tailormade to a biker's requiremnents!

Fingers crossed they still exist and agree to ship.
Old 15th January 2013, 16:17   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Fingers crossed they still exist and agree to ship.
I was looking for something similar for my Duke too! I just emailed them (Gel-o-kare); they are indeed available and shippable.

However, it seems they have to "strapped" on top of the seat = easily stolen.

They've asked me for the dimensions I want and the best way I could say this is not possible to give is to point them to pictures of the Duke's seat.

I'm trying to find out if they can get hold of a Duke themselves and do all the customization accordingly.

They quoted 3,500/- for a single gel cushion which is probably one-and-a-half seat from Duke's perspective
gk01 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th January 2013, 18:23   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gk01 View Post
However, it seems they have to "strapped" on top of the seat = easily stolen.
Appears that you might have to remove the original foam and then put this in its place and get the cover stitched up to make it safe. But you ought to give them some mm extra so that any decent chap can cut it to shape and stich it appropriately. Probably it might help you better if you measure the thickness and then shave off the original foam accordingly to make it a good fitment.

All the best and do post in your snaps if at all you plan to complete this.

Would there be no local manufacturer who can provide this solution within India at the same quality?
Old 15th January 2013, 18:32   #85
Senior - BHPian

I think Gel O Kare is Indian. Lucknow based. Though I am pretty sure he is an importer.
Old 15th January 2013, 18:42   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Appears that you might have to remove the original foam and then put this in its place and get the cover stitched up to make it safe.
Just got an update from Gel-o-kare. They can't customize the "Gel Seat Cushion". They are instead suggesting buying a gel sheet 12" x 12" (15mm thick) and fabricate it as desired.

Not decided on going for it yet. But if I do, I was just thinking of placing this gel on top of existing foam (under the seat cover of course). The Duke's seats are split anyway so I don't see an advantage of removing existing foam except that the height wouldn't increase. Do you see any other problem with this approach?

Quote:
Would there be no local manufacturer who can provide this solution within India at the same quality?
Gel-o-kare is based in Lucknow. But yes, that is still not 'local' for me
Old 15th January 2013, 18:48   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think Gel O Kare is Indian. Lucknow based. Though I am pretty sure he is an importer.
Yes Sir, Just googled out and found they are Indian Based after all. Sorry for the confusion created by not researching on it before hand.
Old 15th January 2013, 22:34   #88
BHPian

Quote:
I ride a Std 500 and a Duke 200 - both stock seats. Am always open to new ideas on how to make my rides more comfortable. Please share!

P.S. 6' tall, weigh 96 kg.
I am 6 ft tall, weigh 90kg. Earlier today, I rode 1x Cruiser, 1x Full faired sports bike and 1x Naked Sports bike of 500cc+ for ~200km (combined) for the very first time in my life (ok, second time ). I was comfortable on all 3 on the curves of Lavasa, in Pune city traffic and on the Highway run.

Whats my secret?

http://issuu.com/ngpl/docs/bike_august09/1

Turn over to Page 34 and read the article. I have treated it like holy grail since I first read it in my print (subscriber) copy and never have I been let down.

P.S.: For those who were lazy enough to not click the link, the article is from August 2009 issue of Bike India Magazine.
antz.bin is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 16th January 2013, 11:45   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by antz.bin View Post
Thank you for the link bro. Will have a read.
Old 16th January 2013, 12:17   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gk01 View Post
Not decided on going for it yet. But if I do, I was just thinking of placing this gel on top of existing foam (under the seat cover of course). The Duke's seats are split anyway so I don't see an advantage of removing existing foam except that the height wouldn't increase. Do you see any other problem with this approach?
If I were to be in your position would remove the Original Foam and then get the gel pads fitted in. Simple reason is that seat should be firm and with the addition of 2 softeners (Foam + Gel) it might make the bike tricky to handle in hi-speeds cornering, Hard Braking where you might feel the base to shift around.

Shall follow your notes once you plan to get it done

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks